PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified Weapons Unusable in PF and 3.5

Saulv2014
May 28th, 2014, 01:54
Greetings all,

Unsure as to whether this is a technical issue or just my own stupidity (Probably the later) I did have a look around the forums and at some videos on youtube but couldnt find anything.

I have made an unidentified magic Weapon (Shortsword +2) and marked it as unidentified. When Placed in a characters inventory the sword does not appear under the weapon lists tab. on the character sheet. I was under the impression that a sword did not have to be identified to use it but you just wouldnt be sure what it was doing. If Unidentified Magic Items cannot be used this way is there an easy way to modify a players attack role with said weapon ( i this case using just a normal shortsword) Until the item is Identified)

Many Thanks for any help you can provide.

Saul

Trenloe
May 28th, 2014, 04:16
There's no way to restrict what an unidentified item shows to the player - so it is all or nothing (well, the unidentified name and description).

The GM can modify the weapon attack/damage bonus but the player would be able to see this by looking at the weapon entry.

The GM could add an effect to the player in the combat tracker: ATK:2;DMG:2 (for a +2 weapon) and change the "VSBL" to "GM" so that the players don't see the effect in the combat tracker. However, when the player rolls an attack or damage they would see the effect being applied: [EFFECTS +2].

I can't think of a way to hide it from the players and automatically apply the +2, in this example. You may have to manually take this into account until the players identify the item.

Moon Wizard
May 28th, 2014, 08:16
By design, unidentified weapons are not added to the weapons list. Otherwise, the players would be able to figure out at minimum the bonus of the weapon, just by adding to the character sheet and seeing the bonuses added.

You could drag and drop a normal version of the weapon to simulate what they know, or manually create a weapon entry. You still have to "adjust" the roll manually to preserve the unknown nature of an item being unidentified.

Regards,
JPG

Saulv2014
May 31st, 2014, 01:26
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. Will probably try using a normal weapon and then just apply mods to the rolls made by that player.

Cheers
Saul