PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Runelords

Geekdomo
May 27th, 2014, 23:09
Hello everyone. I have been running ROTRL for about 6 months now and wish to start it over with a new group using Fantasy Grounds. I do not see it available for sale anywhere as an addon (like steam) does anyone have the complete campaign for sale anywhere? Reason I am looking for it finished is I am a full time streamer and have little time to put the whole campaign into FG. If someone is selling it please let me know, paying handsomely, might even throw in a dragon hatchling and a particularly ornery dwarf servant.

Trenloe
May 27th, 2014, 23:14
This is not available as a commercial add on/DLC.

If you want to privately arrange to pay someone to convert it to FG then you can do that. But the material must remain private/for personal use onyl as it is protected by copyright.

There are a few GMs running RotRL on Fantasy Grounds so you might well get some takers. Good luck! :)

Geekdomo
May 28th, 2014, 11:52
This is not available as a commercial add on/DLC.

If you want to privately arrange to pay someone to convert it to FG then you can do that. But the material must remain private/for personal use onyl as it is protected by copyright.

There are a few GMs running RotRL on Fantasy Grounds so you might well get some takers. Good luck! :)

Awesome! Yea this is private use only. I am not selling it nor care to. Just for me to do the game is all. If anyone knows of someone that has done this please send me an email. geekdomo @ gmail.com or PM me here

kane280484
May 28th, 2014, 12:25
I can send you my module, it covers first three chapters of Burnt Offerings so far (text) plus all maps and all NPCs with tokens of Burnt Offerings. You can change whatever you want, but in general I stick to the letter of RotR Anniversary Edition. My email is piotr.lucka(at)hotmail.com.

EDIT: I just noticed you posted your e-mail adress, I will write to you.

Callum
May 28th, 2014, 13:09
I'm running it at the moment, too, and I'd be happy to join in a sharing group of GMs! We're quite near the beginning - my group are just entering the catacombs in Burnt Offerings, so I've only created up to there in FG. I've already posted a file with my Burnt Offerings NPCs elsewhere on these boards (here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18731-RotRL-conversion-for-FGII&p=171469#post171469)), as that info can be shared publicly.

wigwam
May 28th, 2014, 22:24
Count me in.

My group has started Chapter Two 9Skinsaw) and I am frantically typing up the data. I use FG at the table so it replaces the heavy books. This means combat/encounters aren't fully entered and I can always fall back on to pdfs too. However a full RotRL mod set would be cool.

ilidrake
May 31st, 2014, 02:29
Working on making this into a mod right now.

wigwam
June 1st, 2014, 21:41
Great news. I'm working on how to create the RotRL adventure path as a series of library modules. Currently messing about with the Appendixes. I will have Sandpoint, Magnimar, etc each as a separate library module and the bestiary, magic items, feat, etc as a top-level module. Each AP Chapter will then have its own module or library file.

Its a lot of work.

Callum
June 2nd, 2014, 09:56
I've been creating separate modules, too - but only as much as I need, as I go along. So currently I have a full Sandpoint module, and a Burnt Offerings module that is complete up to the end of the Catacombs of Wrath. I'm not making a separate module for monsters or items, just including these in the adventure modules as required - you can always drag them across into the main campaign if you need them to persist (as with a magic item that a PC finds and keeps).

wigwam
June 2nd, 2014, 10:08
@Callum The monsters and items I'm separating out are those in the appendix. All other encounter creatures and items will be in the modules.
What did you include in Sandpoint? All the NPC (plus images), location descriptions and town map? How about stats for key personnel? Or are you putting these into the Adventure modules?

wigwam
June 2nd, 2014, 10:12
Oh, and I have completed the small Chopper's Isle module. Don't know if I'm allowed to share it tho!

Callum
June 2nd, 2014, 11:23
@Callum The monsters and items I'm separating out are those in the appendix. All other encounter creatures and items will be in the modules.
What did you include in Sandpoint? All the NPC (plus images), location descriptions and town map? How about stats for key personnel? Or are you putting these into the Adventure modules?
I worked from the way it was presented in the RotR Anniversary Edition - so all the stuff from the Sandpoint chapter of that went into my Sandpoint module. I think this means that the only NPC stats included were for the town guard. You could argue that other key Sandpoint NPCs should be included in there, although almost all of them don't have any stats given. I also wasn't sure if they might level up as the AP progressed, so went with putting any NPC stats in the adventure modules as needed.

Callum
June 2nd, 2014, 11:31
Oh, and I have completed the small Chopper's Isle module. Don't know if I'm allowed to share it tho!
I'd love to get a copy of that! You are certainly allowed to share the game mechanics under the OGL - as for the rest, I'd ask Wayfinder's editor, Tim Nightengale (Timitius on the Paizo messageboards) and the Chopper's Isle authors, James B. Cline and Tom Baumbach. They can all be found in this thread (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2kp7j?Choppers-Isle-write-up) on the Paizo boards. You can also contact Wayfinder via email: [email protected]

Lord Kavos
June 4th, 2014, 02:10
I'm running ROtRL as well, into book 2 now. My files wouldn't be of much use to u though - plenty of custom changes for my uber party (there are 5 assimars currently), so I have buffed the encounters significantly in places, and created additional rp encounters tailored to my group.

Gave u checked out the threads on paizo boards? Plenty of maps, ideas & additional resources to help u run the campaign.

Trenloe
June 4th, 2014, 02:16
Speaking of maps - here are three that I threw together in Campaign Cartographer: https://www.cartographersguild.com/members/trenloe-albums-pathfinder+-+rise+++runelords.html

I gave map 2 to the players in part 1 when Shalelu is briefing the players on the area - I said that she quickly drew it for them.

Map 1 I made them buy in the town.

Trenloe
June 6th, 2014, 19:15
Syrinscape (background music/sound effects app) now has official Paizo support with Rise of the Runelords soundsets: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21290-Background-music-sound-effects-app-now-has-Paizo-Rise-of-the-Runelords-support

This can add an amazing dimension to your RotRL games, and other fantasy RPG games too...

wigwam
June 13th, 2014, 12:02
Seems like my post yesterday never made it.

I have hand-coded the module for "The Thing in the Attic". I just need to set up NPCs and Encounters.

Does anyone know of a quick, manual way to place the encounter tokens on a map? I can do this in FG and export the results ... but is there another way? (I'm thinking about the positioning of the tokens....)

Trenloe
June 13th, 2014, 16:26
Does anyone know of a quick, manual way to place the encounter tokens on a map? I can do this in FG and export the results ... but is there another way? (I'm thinking about the positioning of the tokens....)
Use the encounter functionality. Once you've setup your encounter, drag the tokens from the "Placement" section to the map. When you deploy the encounter the tokens will be added to the place you pre-populated them automatically (initially not visible to the players) - then you can adjust the position if you need to and make them visible. More info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Encounters

wigwam
June 13th, 2014, 21:05
Thanks Trenloe. I was wandering if I can do this outside of FG (I'm handcoding the html) but I reckon your response tells me I can't.

But on a second read I suppose I can make dummy placements and then reposition when I want to run the encounter. Or ... I can leave the tokens unplaced and do it when I run the encounter....

Trenloe
June 13th, 2014, 22:02
Thanks Trenloe. I was wandering if I can do this outside of FG (I'm handcoding the html) but I reckon your response tells me I can't.
Well, if you really want to hand code FG XML code place some example tokens on the map and open the campaign db.xml file and have a look how the placement XML code is used. But this isn't officially supported and if you make mistakes you could lost data so make sure you back up the data before you manually modify it.

But, remember, tokens placed on the map without a direct link to a combat tracker record are just tokens on the map - targeting, etc. will not work. So, I'd recommend using the encounter functionality...

wigwam
June 14th, 2014, 09:30
Thanks Trenloe. I looked at the code generated in the campaign db.xml file and it seemed straight forward. The only thing was the numerics detailing the placement of the tokens. I think I will drop the idea of hand-coding this part and keep it for the session. I'm not confident enough - especially if there's a chance I might lose data! Thanks for the heads up and recommendation.

(BTW the reason for hand-coding is to create Library style elements and avoid filling the campaign with module specific details - when often I just want the module open for reference purposes. I can fill out the campaign with campaign specific info each time I run the adventure path with different groups....)

Trenloe
June 15th, 2014, 03:24
(BTW the reason for hand-coding is to create Library style elements and avoid filling the campaign with module specific details - when often I just want the module open for reference purposes. I can fill out the campaign with campaign specific info each time I run the adventure path with different groups....)
In that case just create creature token placements via an encounter and export encounter, images, etc. into a module for you to use later. If you enable shortcuts on your map you can drag the link to the encounter directly onto the map so you have a reference on the map that there is an encounter/token placement at that point on the map and can click the shortcut pin on the map to take you directly to the relevant encounter entry. All of this (shortcuts on the map, encounters with token placement) can all be exported into the module to be loaded when/if you need it in the future.

wigwam
June 15th, 2014, 21:50
Excellent advice again Trenloe. I will look into this. Pinning an encounter is a good idea. I usually pin location descriptions....

damned
June 15th, 2014, 23:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on-pnFSMKz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx7CtPsdNbA

greyhoundgames
June 18th, 2014, 21:19
I to am just starting this module.. Funny how many of us there are ;)

wigwam
June 27th, 2014, 22:35
I have permission to release my Module for Chopper's Isle but then I realised it needed to be made into a library module which means recoding the html.

I can't do anything until Tuesday night next week ... So it will be loaded for community use and comment then.

Tony

Trenloe
June 27th, 2014, 22:49
I have permission to release my Module for Chopper's Isle but then I realised it needed to be made into a library module which means recoding the html.
Just make it into a normal module (export as usual from your campaign) - the data will appear in different tabs in the campaign lists. This is how all scenario modules are produced - the data doesn't appear in the library, it appears in the campaign lists. Open the "Well met in Kith'takharos" module that comes with Fantasy Grounds to see an example of this.

wigwam
June 27th, 2014, 23:09
Thanks Trenloe. I can do this no problems - I just like the way the Libraries work....

However, saying "that's how all scenario modules are produced" makes me think there is a "house style". Is this so?

Either way I am not back at my desktop until late Tuesday ...

Trenloe
June 27th, 2014, 23:19
However, saying "that's how all scenario modules are produced" makes me think there is a "house style". Is this so?
It's all about having similar data in the same place, with using tabs to organise the sections/chapters/modules or whatever. If you're running a campaign you have all of your campaign story entries in the "Story" list. It makes sense to have story entries from scenario modules to be here as well, but in a different tab - then the GM has access to all story entries all in the same place. Similarly for images & maps, NPCs, Items, etc..

Libraries are good for, well, library data - static data that won't change and is a reference library for such data and can be made available to the players at the module level if so desired, rather than sharing an object at a time.