PDA

View Full Version : Basic D&D

Zeus
May 27th, 2014, 06:35
Woohoo. Better than an OGL. WotC have announced Basic D&D and its going to be free!

https://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140527

Here's hoping this means there will be no constraints to including a Basic D&D module with the 5E ruleset. Doug - over to you to charm WotC.

Trenloe
May 27th, 2014, 06:43
Providing something for free usually doesn't mean that it is without copyright. I would be very surprised if WotC release this without the material being copyright protected.

Still, good news that these basic rules will be available for free. :) Hopefully Doug can do some magic with WotC.

Zeus
May 27th, 2014, 07:47
I have a good feeling about 5ed. Something tells me WotC are finally starting to really listen. I am really hoping that they won't be opposed to Smiteworks bundling an approved conversion of the Basic Rules PDF in a FG Module along with the 5E ruleset. Fingers crossed.

damned
May 27th, 2014, 08:20
Sweet news!

But talk about contradictory...

Basic D&D is a PDF that covers the core of the game. It’s the equivalent of the old D&D Rules Cyclopedia, though it doesn’t have quite the same scope (for example, it won’t go into detail on a setting). It runs from levels 1 to 20 and covers the cleric, fighter, rogue, and wizard, presenting what we view as the essential subclass for each. It also provides the dwarf, elf, halfling, and human as race options.

But the best part? Basic D&D is a free PDF. Anyone can download it from our website. We want to put D&D in as many hands as possible, and a free, digital file is the best way to do that.

If Basic D&D is the equivalent of the classic Rules Cyclopedia, then the three core rulebooks are analogous to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Want more character options? Pick up a Player’s Handbook. Looking for more critters for your campaign? The Monster Manual has you covered. Want to sculpt a unique campaign? Pick up the Dungeon Master’s Guide. Still, Basic D&D is the true heart of the game and could easily provide a lifetime of gaming.

Mixing Basic and AD&D?

Callum
May 27th, 2014, 12:29
"We want to put D&D in as many hands as possible, and a free, digital file is the best way to do that."

I think the best way to do that is with the OGL and SRD, created by a previous group of people at WotC and continued by Paizo with the PRD. As Trenloe says, a free PDF can still be copyrighted. Still, one can hope...

Zeus
May 27th, 2014, 13:19
Sweet news!

Mixing Basic and AD&D?

Mixing? Not sure, it appears to be an attempt to remodel the old D&D Basic Box Set with the latter AD&D 1ed. I'm interpreting it as the three core books being a superset of the basic D&D rules. Not long to wait now I guess until we find out for sure. There's lots of debate over at ENWorld.

Callum@: If its truly free and intended to be placed in the hands of as many people as they can, as they state. Then I find it hard to believe they will be opposed to a FG module (subject to the content not changing, suitable acknowledgements/copyright notices being applied and approval from the good folk at Wizard's before release).

damned
May 27th, 2014, 14:05
Callum@: If its truly free and intended to be placed in the hands of as many people as they can, as they state. Then I find it hard to believe they will be opposed to a FG module (subject to the content not changing, suitable acknowledgements/copyright notices being applied and approval from the good folk at Wizard's before release).

Thats the line Id be running with in any negotiations!

ddavison
May 27th, 2014, 14:26
We have been in semi-consistent contact with WoTC. I've sent a direct request regarding this and will share what I can, when I can.

Mellock
May 27th, 2014, 15:27
When I demo Fantasy Grounds, I use D&D 4e, because I know it best. But at the end of the demo, if someone is new to roleplaying, I'll point out that there are various free offers like GURPS lite, Savage Worlds Test Drive Rules, the various SRD's,... and pick whatever gets them most excited. I think it's great that I'll be able to point them to D&D 5e. It makes me feel even better about pre-ordering all the DnD 5e books too! :p

Griogre
May 27th, 2014, 22:04
Sweet news!

Mixing Basic and AD&D?

It's like crossing the Streams in Ghostbusters... nothing could possibly go wr.... ARRGGGG! End of the world! ;)

Sounds like they really should have called "Basic D&D" "D&D Core Rules" instead, with everything else being an add on expansion.

jshauber
May 28th, 2014, 04:20
It's like crossing the Streams in Ghostbusters... nothing could possibly go wr.... ARRGGGG! End of the world! ;)

Sounds like they really should have called "Basic D&D" "D&D Core Rules" instead, with everything else being an add on expansion.

That makes sense, no wonder they didn't do it.....

Griogre
May 29th, 2014, 16:25
LOL, I'm sure Marketing would have killed them if they did that. ;)

Irondrake
June 20th, 2014, 04:52
This little jewel has quite a few rules spoilers (and confirms some changes that went in after the public playtest)...lots of stuff can be gleaned from this character sheet.

https://philgamer.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/starter-set-fighter-1.jpg