PDA

View Full Version : Installing Fantasy Grounds on Linux / Wine

phantomwhale
May 26th, 2014, 12:51
I had Fantasy Grounds working on my laptop running Linux Mint, but after a re-install I can no longer get it work. Very frustrating.

So far, I have:
* Installed the latest version on Wine (1.7)
* Installed all the versions of mono and gecko for wine to use
* Downloaded FGWebInstall.exe and run it against wine.

This brings up the install windows just fine, and seems to download and install the main product. I have selected "Cross-compatibility flag" in the settings menu and entered my license key. I also logged in to download all the products I've purchased, but this made no difference.

The problems I am seeing and two-fold. Firstly, after installation, it comes up with:

Ruleset: launcher
Error: Unable to load ruleset file (base.xml)

Do you want to try reloading the data

This also occurs when I try and load FantasyGrounds from the command line as follows:

$> wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Fantasy\ Grounds/FantasyGrounds.exe
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f848,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:wined3d_check_device_format_conversion wined3d 0x13e068, adapter_idx 0, device_type WINED3D_DEVICE_TYPE_HAL, src_format WINED3DFMT_B8G8R8X8_UNORM, dst_format WINED3DFMT_B8G8R8X8_UNORM stub!
err:wintab32:X11DRV_LoadTabletInfo Unable to initialize the XInput library.
err:wintab32:LoadTablet LoadTabletInfo(0x20080) failed

When I load FantasyGrounds from the generated shortcut, oddly enough it DOES load, but something is very wrong with the graphics. Part of the screen is missing, there are no windowing controls, and the cursor is oddly shaped. I can load and sort of play games in this mode, but it's not practical for really using the software.

I am probably at my limit here - can anyone recommend more things to try ?

Zeus
May 26th, 2014, 19:49
I had some problems (graphics related) with the latest Wine 1.7 engine on OSX, try falling back to a previous engine version. For FG I have found 1.4.1 to be the most reliable on OSX. 1.4.1 was also an optimised release meaning the resulting wrapper sizes for apps are much smaller.

phantomwhale
May 31st, 2014, 14:08
Wine 1.4.1 behaves a bit better - the window comes up with full windowing controls on first boot, rather than me having to resize it a bit until it works.

Cursor is still pretty ugly, but maybe it always was under Wine and I never noticed ! Certainly playable now, so thanks a lot for the tip