PDA

View Full Version : Importing (4E) characters

mattcolville
May 26th, 2014, 06:35
I used to be able to make a 4E dude using WotC's character builder, convert him to XML using the character converter, then import him into FG2.

With FG3 it seems like the process has changed a little? As a GM, I have a little '/' symbol on the Character pan. When I click it I get a blue up arrow for Import Character. Awesome.

But when my players click the same blue arrow, they don't get the windows file locator interface, it just opens a blank panel in FG3. With no characters on it.

How do my players import their characters?

Moon Wizard
May 26th, 2014, 07:10
Either they can send the files to you for you to import, or they can import in the Manage Character mode before connecting to your game (not supported in Free license).

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
May 26th, 2014, 07:52
But when my players click the same blue arrow, they don't get the windows file locator interface, it just opens a blank panel in FG3. With no characters on it.
When players are connected to a GM they don't have access to direct import of an XML file into the campaign database. They do however, have access to upload characters they have made in "Manage Characters" - this is what the players are seeing with the blank panel. If the player had added a PC in manage characters pressing the blue arrow in the "Character Selection" window brings up the "Import Local Character" window and all of the PCs created for that ruleset in manage characters are displayed.

mattcolville
May 26th, 2014, 18:04
Ahh, ok. Well, my players are using free licenses, connecting to my ultimate, so they'll have to send me their files.

Is there a way to set a sever message they'll see when they log in?

Trenloe
May 26th, 2014, 18:33
Is there a way to set a sever message they'll see when they log in?
Not without modifying the launch message in the actual ruleset itself.