PDA

View Full Version : Port Forward Help

ilidrake
May 25th, 2014, 20:50
I've read through multiple threads on this problem with little success. ive set my routers port and can connect across my LAN but cant seem to get outside connections. Anyone wanna help me out with this?

Ookay now I can see the port but still am unable to connect. Would someone try connecting for me to see if it works.

GunnarGreybeard
May 25th, 2014, 21:40
PM me your connection info and I will give it a try.

ddavison
May 25th, 2014, 21:44
Since you can connect inside your own network, then it isn't due to any settings on your computers and is something on the router which still needs to be configured. When you you map the port 1802 on your router, you need to be able to specify which computer internally you want to direct that traffic to. Do you have your internal IP address of your GM/host computer listed there?

Once configured, you should be able to connect with your other laptop connections inside your network using just the alias or the external IP address and it would simulate how other users would connect to you. The Test Connection button will start working when it is properly configured.

GunnarGreybeard
May 25th, 2014, 21:52
I was able to connect, he should be good now.

ilidrake
May 25th, 2014, 22:08
Fixed! Thanks!

Trenloe
May 25th, 2014, 22:10
Fixed! Thanks!
What was the issue? So that other who might have the same problem can find the fix here...

GunnarGreybeard
May 25th, 2014, 22:29
Not sure what he did, but I was able to connect.

Swordborn
June 3rd, 2014, 22:47
So, I'm having the exact same problem as described above, but it's not working for me. I have checked router configuration, and it is configured on the correct port with my internal ip address, to no avail. I am also able to connect locally using another client, or from another computer. I still fail the connection test every time and no one can join externally.

Pretty frustrated with this right now, haven't had this kind of connection trouble with a program since the mid 00's.

Moon Wizard
June 3rd, 2014, 22:57
If you can connect from another machine on same local network, then the issue is not on the machine hosting FG.

1) Try turning on UPnP on your router, and removing the static port forwarding rule. FG will attempt to automatically configure router using UPnP.

2) Double-check the IP address on the machine hosting FG. Does this machine have more than one network card? If so, it may have multiple IP addresses, and may change between them, depending on which one gets assigned by OS. Try disabling all but one in the Windows Device Manager. (i.e. wireless and wired connections) This is only necessary if you have to manually configure port forwarding rules on your router.

3) Do you have multiple routers between your local network and the Internet? Some cable/DSL modems also act as routers, creating a situation where port forwarding has to be configured correctly for each one. (Internet -> router -> router -> host machine). Which modem did your ISP give you?

There have also been quite a few people that have had luck using Hamachi to bypass port forwarding completely.

Regards,
JPG

ddavison
June 3rd, 2014, 22:57
If you can connect inside your home network, then the problem is likely with the router port forwarding. On your local machine, check the FG screen for what it has listed as your local IP address and make sue your router has the same one listed. It is possible to have more than one if you have both a wired and wireless connection. If the router only lists the name of your PC, then try removing it and re-adding it. Save your router settings to make sure the setting is retained.

Swordborn
June 3rd, 2014, 23:48
If you can connect inside your home network, then the problem is likely with the router port forwarding. On your local machine, check the FG screen for what it has listed as your local IP address and make sue your router has the same one listed. It is possible to have more than one if you have both a wired and wireless connection. If the router only lists the name of your PC, then try removing it and re-adding it. Save your router settings to make sure the setting is retained.

Yup, I did this, and I thought I'd made it clear that I had. :/

ddavison
June 3rd, 2014, 23:59
The difference is that you said your local IP address and not necessarily the local IP that FG is recognizing. if you have two local IP addresses assigned to your PC, then it would be possible for local network connections to work but the port forwarding to still fail if they are set on a 2nd IP address not listened to by FG. Another thing to try would be that your local firewall exception on your PC isn't set to local subnet only. Depending on which version of Windows you are running, you can run firewall.cpl to pull up the Firewall control panel and go to the "Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall". Make sure that the Fantasy Grounds application is set to allow both Home/Work (Private) and Public.

Swordborn
June 4th, 2014, 00:06
Apparently our AP doesn't like stuff. It's connected via LAN port to the primary router, and all advanced features are disabled. Anyway, it works wired now, so I guess I'll just have tol play wired. Thanks for the help. :pirate:

ddavison
June 4th, 2014, 00:25
It's good to hear that you got it working. I've seen where the AP hands out IP addresses and the main router hands out a different IP for the wired connection. It makes configuring port forwarding a little confusing at times and then you have to hope that FG is communicating on the same IP. It just grabs the default, so it's like a 50/50 shot.

Swordborn
June 4th, 2014, 00:38
I'm pleased as punch just to have it working and be able to connect now - don't really mind having to play wired. Network troubleshooting just gives me a migraine!