PDA

View Full Version : **Three FG noobs wanting desperately to try out a Pathfinder (or whatever) game**

Traddles
May 24th, 2014, 16:29
We are three people, experienced tabletop players and just fantastic friggin human beings, who would LOVE to test out the world of Fantasy Grounds. Unfortunately, none of us hold a license, so this is most definitely a humble plea to any experienced FG GMs looking to run/start/continue/enhance/whateverthehell a game.

We think we're pretty rad folks. So, if anyone would be interested in running or game... or, if you just want to jump on this bandwagon, go right ahead.

Interested in...

Pathfinder (Society/Organized/informal)
Could be down for other systems, though we would inevitably we less experienced
Short or long... APs or one-offs

We all have access to Hero Lab... as well as winning personalities...

bluegoon
May 24th, 2014, 16:39
Same here! I am also in your timezone guys (South Africa)

Please add me!!

Trenloe
May 24th, 2014, 16:43
I am also in your timezone guys (South Africa)
Unfortunately, they're in Nederland, Colorado, USA; not Nederlands. ;)

bluegoon
May 24th, 2014, 16:44
Unfortunately, they're in Nederland, Colorado, USA; not Nederlands. ;)

/Facedesk

My bad, carry on.

Trenloe
May 24th, 2014, 16:44
I am also in your timezone guys (South Africa)
Unfortunately, they're in Nederland, Colorado, USA; not the country Nederland, Europe.. ;)

Latewood
May 24th, 2014, 17:44
We are three people, experienced tabletop players and just fantastic friggin human beings, who would LOVE to test out the world of Fantasy Grounds. Unfortunately, none of us hold a license, so this is most definitely a humble plea to any experienced FG GMs looking to run/start/continue/enhance/whateverthehell a game.

We think we're pretty rad folks. So, if anyone would be interested in running or game... or, if you just want to jump on this bandwagon, go right ahead.

We all have access to Hero Lab... as well as winning personalities...

You may want to check out this Steam community:
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/Pathfinder_RPG

JerryRig
May 24th, 2014, 18:08
I've been warming up to the idea of being a Fantasy Grounds GM/DM for Pathfinder/D&D. I just want to make sure I'm comfortable with hosting a smooth flowing game. I've asked a couple of the DM's here to mentor me and once i feel i have the kinks worked out I would be up for hosting a game.

I'm in Minnesota (Central time zone) and I would bet though not positive my wife would be adventurous enough to join in.

I would likely play a high fantasy setting (20 point buy (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/character-creationhttps://)) or stat rolling (see below) on the game server and would use most of the tools that Fantasy Grounds(FG) has to offer to support play (teamspeak server).

My style of DM/GM('ing) is central to how the players adventure and explore. It's about everyone playing enjoying the time ...just because the module says the next thing in the plan is for you to go to either X or Y, doesn't mean your more intrigued with that little bit of info you picked up on at the tavern or the rumor of a magic to be found from some lost ruins or something. I'm a very flexible DM/GM.

Unsure of a campaign setting I would prefer but I'm used to the typical dungeon crawl, wilderness experience of Eberron, Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk which were all AD&D. I am very familiar with Forgotten Realms having played and used a lot of its content. I am fairly new to Pathfinder, but find the content from Pathfinder Rules is a great expansion on what I played over the years and so not using it would be a tragedy. If I were to adapt Forgotten Realms campaign content to include pathfinder content it would not take much to adjust for me. I have not spent a lot of time reviewing the modules built for Pathfinder content nor invested any $$$ in pathfinder modules yet. So this part would be fleshed out before anything got going.

Again this would be my first DM/GM session using FG so patience in getting it to flow thru first couple sessions would be a required. Would likely play from 4-6 hours a session depending on group availability.

4-6 players would be ideal. I've played with 2-3 before and can adapt anything to the size and play of the group.

I'm open to most content from D20pfrsd (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/character-creation) with some restictions on any desire to step into 3rd party content (would have to review it and make a decision on any race/class/feat etc ...) I would not expect a yes on much 3rd party content so don't set your heart on it if you ask ...but i am approachable to review it and see if it will mesh.

This is designed to make everyone's life easier, both GM's and players. When posting a game listing that needs players, please use this template.

FG License: i.e. GM has Full so players need at least Lite
Game System: i.e. Pathfinder/AD&D 3.5

Time Zone: i.e. Central Time USA
Day of week and time: Variable
If new game, planned start date: June 1st or beyond
Planned Frequency: i.e. Once per week (as availability allows)
Term: Long term Campaign type

Text or Voice: Mix of both
Voice software used: i.e. Skype, Teamspeak, Ventrilo (likely FG Grounds TS server)

Role-play & Combat mix: i.e. 30/70 Role-play/Combat Ratio
Number of Players in game & needed: i.e. 4-6
Character starting level & equipment: 1st Level
Character restrictions:I'm open to most content from D20pfrsd with some restrictions on any desire to step into 3rd party content (would have to review it and make a decision on any race/class/feat etc ...) I would not expect a yes on much 3rd party content so don't set your heart on it if you ask ...but i am approachable to review it and see if it will mesh.

Details of your scenario: Unsure of a campaign setting I would prefer but I'm used to the typical dungeon crawl, wilderness experience of Eberron, Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk which were all AD&D. I am very familiar with Forgotten Realms having played and used a lot of its content. I am fairly new to Pathfinder, but find the content from Pathfinder Rules is a great expansion on what I played over the years and so not using it would be a tragedy. If I were to adapt Forgotten Realms campaign content to include pathfinder content it would not take much to adjust for me. I have not spent a lot of time reviewing the modules built for Pathfinder content nor invested any $$$ in pathfinder modules yet. So this part would be fleshed out before anything got going.

I would not recommend Min/Max builds to any extreme. Reason: I adapt to the players, the stronger you get in specialty ...the same will be applied to opponents so you wont gain any advantage by doing min/max in a game I host. Suggestions stats would be like the below example:

Tiefling Rogue

stats from point buy | (racial modifier) | stats after Racial Modifier
STR: 12 | (**) | 12
DEX: 16 | (+2) | 18
CON: 14 | (**) | 14
INT: 14 | (+2) | 16
WIS: 10 | (**) | 10
CHR: 08 | (-2) | 06

This would appear to be a pretty solid rogue build (with room to multiclass). Again an alternate style I will accept is:

Dice Pool: Each character has a pool of 24d6 to assign to his statistics. Before the dice are rolled, the player selects the number of dice to roll for each score, with a minimum of 3d6 and maximum of 5d6 for each ability. Once the dice have been assigned, the player rolls each group and totals the result of the three highest dice. Any single ability score resulting in a stat of 5 or less will be rerolled with the amount of dice that was selected when the roll was made.

Link to Game calendar page: ...Into the Ruins (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1189)

Andraax
May 24th, 2014, 18:11
I'm looking for new players for my Castles & Crusades game. Sunday afternoon, US/Central time. Let me know if you're interested.

JerryRig
May 24th, 2014, 18:36
Adjusted original message to include this content above.

PuckStoper35
May 24th, 2014, 20:10
Ya definitely check out the link. the group really needs more GM's but they have a Pathfinder society home-brew world designed to let new gm's lead pathfinder society play while allowing new players to learn about PFS in a very laid back environment but its ran using the same rules as PFS with a bit more leniency.

Traddles
May 24th, 2014, 23:02
I'm looking for new players for my Castles & Crusades game. Sunday afternoon, US/Central time. Let me know if you're interested.

Could you link me to some info? Thanks!

Traddles
May 24th, 2014, 23:04
I've been warming up to the idea of being a Fantasy Grounds GM/DM for Pathfinder/D&D. I just want to make sure I'm comfortable with hosting a smooth flowing game. I've asked a couple of the DM's here to mentor me and once i feel i have the kinks worked out I would be up for hosting a game.

I'm in Minnesota (Central time zone) and I would bet though not positive my wife would be adventurous enough to join in.

I would likely play a high fantasy setting (20 point buy (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/character-creationhttps://)) or stat rolling (4d6 methods) on the game server and would use most of the tools that Fantasy Grounds(FG) has to offer to support play (teamspeak server).

My style of DM/GM('ing) is central to how the players adventure and explore. It's about everyone playing enjoying the time ...just because the module says the next thing in the plan is for you to go to either X or Y, doesn't mean your more intrigued with that little bit of info you picked up on at the tavern or the rumor of a magic to be found from some lost ruins or something. I'm a very flexible DM/GM.

Unsure of a campaign setting I would prefer but I'm used to the typical dungeon crawl, wilderness experience of Eberron, Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk which were all AD&D. I am very familiar with Forgotten Realms having played and used a lot of its content. I am fairly new to Pathfinder, but find the content from Pathfinder Rules is a great expansion on what I played over the years and so not using it would be a tragedy. If I were to adapt Forgotten Realms campaign content to include pathfinder content it would not take much to adjust for me. I have not spent a lot of time reviewing the modules built for Pathfinder content nor invested any $$$ in pathfinder modules yet. So this part would be fleshed out before anything got going.

Again this would be my first DM/GM session using FG so patience in getting it to flow thru first couple sessions would be a required. Would likely play from 4-6 hours a session depending on group availability.

4-6 players would be ideal. I've played with 2-3 before and can adapt anything to the size and play of the group.

I'm open to most content from D20pfrsd (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/character-creation) with some restictions on any desire to step into 3rd party content (would have to review it and make a decision on any race/class/feat etc ...) I would not expect a yes on much 3rd party content so don't set your heart on it if you ask ...but i am approachable to review it and see if it will mesh.

Well there we go ..typed a lot longer than I expected.

All sounds great to me! I'm a teacher, so my availability will be pretty open for the summer, and most everyone else is pretty flexible.

Let me know when you're ready to try something out... and, I can get you a lot of Pathfinder pdfs, if you like.

Andraax
May 24th, 2014, 23:59
Could you link me to some info? Thanks!

https://blacktooth-ridge.obsidianportal.com/

JerryRig
May 25th, 2014, 04:43
Well going to be doing something tomorrow with a mentor to build up my skills in FG pathfinder. So tomorrow is kind of plugged up. But I could bring my server up for character creation as I am around a bit at home during the day if anyone wanted to start the character creation process. I can log into TS if anyone wants to learn more or tinker around.

damned
May 25th, 2014, 06:32
This is designed to make everyone's life easier, both GM's and players. When posting a game listing that needs players, please use this template.

FG License: i.e. GM has Full so players need at least Lite
Game System: i.e. Pathfinder/AD&D 3.5

Time Zone: i.e. Central Time USA
Day of week and time: Variable

It would make life so much easier if people used a TZ that made sense to the other 190+ other countries around the world :)
Hint: UTC works :)

damned
May 25th, 2014, 06:34
@JerryRig - you are ready - you will always still be learning stuff - whether its Fantasy Grounds, Ruleset, Style, Group Management, Disputer Resolution, muting domineering players on TeamSpeak etc :)
Take the plunge - at worst your wife will have some new material to poke fun at you with... unless you kill her character... that could be worse...

Andraax
May 25th, 2014, 13:29
It would make life so much easier if people used a TZ that made sense to the other 190+ other countries around the world :)
Hint: UTC works :)

If you use UTC, then twice a year in many countries it changes. Timezones are standardized - if you need a conversion, use https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Hint: Most people couldn't tell you their offset from UTC. :)

damned
May 25th, 2014, 13:52
If you use UTC, then twice a year in many countries it changes. Timezones are standardized - if you need a conversion, use https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Hint: Most people couldn't tell you their offset from UTC. :)

Still such a US centric view on the world!
About half of the world doesnt practice any form of daylight savings time so for those guys their offset is always the same.
You will also find that some timezone abbreviations used in the US are not unique to the US like AST and CST and there are others outside of the US that have the same issue...
And then you will also note that most of the US timezones also officially have different names for use during DST like AST/ADT, CST/CDT and some of these alternate names also conflict with other TZ abbreviations.

Maybe most Americans cant tell you their offset :) **

To be fair to the OP he did post

Central Time USA

** Im sure thats not true :)

Andraax
May 25th, 2014, 14:18
Still such a US centric view on the world!
About half of the world doesnt practice any form of daylight savings time so for those guys their offset is always the same.
You will also find that some timezone abbreviations used in the US are not unique to the US like AST and CST and there are others outside of the US that have the same issue...
And then you will also note that most of the US timezones also officially have different names for use during DST like AST/ADT, CST/CDT and some of these alternate names also conflict with other TZ abbreviations.

Maybe most Americans cant tell you their offset :) **

To be fair to the OP he did post

** Im sure thats not true :)

Those are the old standard - the new standard for timezones includes ones like "US/Central" which is the same regardless of daylight savings or not (and not likely to conflict with any other nation's timezone). Keep up to date. :-)

And besides, I know plenty of people in Canada, Europe, and Asia who can't tell me their UTC offset. It's not a US thing. And this argument is similar to the metric / English argument. If people would just consciously specify a timezone (unit of measure) then everyone else could convert to their favorite specification trivially. Confusion only arises when it's *not* specified.

Traddles
May 25th, 2014, 14:55
Well going to be doing something tomorrow with a mentor to build up my skills in FG pathfinder. So tomorrow is kind of plugged up. But I could bring my server up for character creation as I am around a bit at home during the day if anyone wanted to start the character creation process. I can log into TS if anyone wants to learn more or tinker around.

No worries. All three of us are pretty flexible, and we are OK with starting immediately... or in a few weeks. As soon as you want to set a date, I will get on them about character creation and set up the intros. Thanks!

JerryRig
May 25th, 2014, 17:12
Sent you a message on the server name and Team Speak info

Teamspeak:

I have Teamspeak up and running. You can find me (JerryRig) on the FG Server (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server) under the game named Into the Ruins. If you care to drop in any time today forward I'll try and have it up to assist anyone in the creation of their characters

This suggests we have 4 players at this time so I can take 2 more.

Wife loves her Ranger's so that is what she is building.

Traddles
May 25th, 2014, 17:33
Sent you a message on the server name and Team Speak info

Teamspeak:

I have Teamspeak up and running. You can find me (JerryRig) on the FG Server (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server) under the game named Into the Ruins. If you care to drop in any time today forward I'll try and have it up to assist anyone in the creation of their characters

This suggests we have 4 players at this time so I can take 2 more.

Wife loves her Ranger's so that is what she is building.

Sounds great. I will try and get back to you... at least regarding our two class selections... sometime soon.

dr_venture
May 25th, 2014, 18:44
Traddles, did you guys ever line anything up?

Traddles
May 25th, 2014, 22:54
Traddles, did you guys ever line anything up?

Nothing set in stone as of yet, though JerryRig is possibly starting something soon.

JerryRig
May 25th, 2014, 23:51
ok server is up and running ...and will be for the next few hours if you care to come build your characters (or at least start).

JerryRig
May 26th, 2014, 00:44
Sounds great. I will try and get back to you... at least regarding our two class selections... sometime soon.

Are there two of you or three? I saw the words "two class selections" and am not sure of the meaning..

Traddles
May 26th, 2014, 15:15
Are there two of you or three? I saw the words "two class selections" and am not sure of the meaning..

There are three, but I thought you mentioned you only had room for two? At present, I would put our classes somewhere around Cleric, Paladin (or another tankster), and Gunslinger/Skills Rogue (undecided). Let's set a firm date and time to get together for creation?

JerryRig
May 26th, 2014, 19:08
Here is my rough timeline to compare with you guys:

Tuesday: tomorrow morning for a 3-4 hours and then again in the evening for about 4-5 hours. Wife's B-day tomorrow so afternoon is taken.

Wednesday: I have an appointment at 11:30 to 12:30 but otherwise will be here all day.

What works for you guys. And sorry if I was confusing ...taking 4-6 players (you have 3 of those slots).

Server will be left up for you to log in and make characters during all this (you have the log-in info in your FG mail). When I'm here I will be on the FG Teamspeak (JerryRig) for communication and help. The game is posted to the Calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1189) for a tentative date of June 1st for 3 different potential time periods.

JerryRig
May 27th, 2014, 00:43
Be whatever you want to be/comfortable using. Never played or used a gunslinger so i'll take some of my time looking that up tonight so I get a better grip on how it plays. If you choose it then i'll be prepared.

There are three, but I thought you mentioned you only had room for two? At present, I would put our classes somewhere around Cleric, Paladin (or another tankster), and Gunslinger/Skills Rogue (undecided). Let's set a firm date and time to get together for creation?

dr_venture
May 27th, 2014, 01:39
JerryRig: FWIW, if you're a new DM, you might want to start off with fewer players, then add more if the game feels too empty. Playing over the Net definitely is a little different from a face-to-face game, and some folks have found fewer players better, while others are not bothered by a large group. It's easier to add more players than it is to kick people out if the game is over-crowded.

JerryRig
May 27th, 2014, 04:54
roger ....thanks for the heads up.

JerryRig
May 27th, 2014, 14:46
Server is up for character generation, see my initial posting here for log-in details. I will also be on Fantasy Grounds Teamspeak server (JerryRig) most of the day for assistance as well.

We have 2 more players so full group of 6.

Denair - Fighter
Noelle - Druid
Aido_Hwedo - Magus
- (Paladin or Cleric)
- (Gunslinger or Rogue)
- ( Unknown )

Traddles
May 27th, 2014, 21:12
Server is up for character generation, see my initial posting here for log-in details. I will also be on Fantasy Grounds Teamspeak server (JerryRig) most of the day for assistance as well.

We have 2 more players so full group of 6.

Riade - Ranger
Noelle - Druid
Kumba, kbergeronjr or gamefreak - first one of you three to get me a completed character I can validate for play.
- (Paladin or Cleric)
- (Gunslinger or Rogue)
- ( Unknown )

Get to ya as soon as possible. Sorry. I'm a public school teacher, and the end of the year gets pretty hectic!

JerryRig
May 29th, 2014, 00:45
I am going to make the call to let the other folks that have expressed interest in the game, signed up on the calendar and created characters in case there was room to become the players in this campaign.
They seem to have made a bit of effort and have the time right now to prepare and be ready for the adventure.

I'm going to move forward with this campaign and recommend you re-post your desires or join one of those DM/GM's posted games that have come out this week. Find a posted game needing players that will start once you have the end of the year obligations completed. the 3 of you pretty much make up 2/3rds of a full party for as DM/GM to run with.

I will post up this game in its own posting and step out of your request posting. Sorry we could not meet and get this completed. Was looking forward ot seeing how 3 buddies interacted in a game of role-play. Usually there is lots too laugh at and poke each other in the ribs with.

avro5731
June 1st, 2014, 00:12
Cant tell if this game is going on or not and when.... I signed up on the calendar for the June 1st. Are you still open?

JerryRig
June 1st, 2014, 05:40
It is full at this point.

Thanks for checking!