PDA

View Full Version : Steam does not re-download the Mac OS X version of Fantasy Grounds

FlynnTheAvatar
May 24th, 2014, 12:03
Hi,

It seems I did something wrong and now Steam does no longer download the Mac OS X version of FG (Wineskin wrapper).

This is what I did:

Installed the FG OS X Demo on Steam. But somehow it did not start.
So I removed it from Steam using the Steam "Delete local Content..." function.
Later, I wanted to try again. So I activated my Fantasy Grounds II full version key on Steam.
Tried to install FG again.

But now Steam is not download anything anymore. After step 1 there was a FantasyGrounds.app in "~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Fantasy Grounds". But after deleting and re-installing, Steam is not creating the App anymore. The directory is just empty.

Deleting and reinstalling does not help; also verify integrity of game cache does nothing.

Zeus
May 24th, 2014, 15:17
I posted in the other thread. Have you tried logging off and exiting Steam and then re-logging in again.

Moon Wizard
May 24th, 2014, 19:36
We have found that Steam does not handle un-install and re-install well, without logging out of Steam and back in again between. This is a limitation of Steam that we have no control over.

Regards,
JPG

FlynnTheAvatar
May 24th, 2014, 20:20
Hi JPG,

what exactly do you mean with "logging out of Steam"? Closing Steam, Change User or something else? I tried a lot of things now including deleting all steam files after un-installing FG, but I cannot force Steam to re-download the .app wrapper.

Moon Wizard
May 24th, 2014, 20:39
On Windows, I have to right click on Steam, and specifically select Exit Steam. Then, relaunch Steam and re-enter credentials.

JPG

Zeus
May 25th, 2014, 00:26
You can also force Steam to refresh its cached data by Choosing Account->Go Offline from the menus. This will restart your client in local offline mode only, when its restarted select Account->Go Online and once again Steam will restart but it will force a check for any app updates.

FlynnTheAvatar
May 25th, 2014, 08:22
Thanks for the tips, but it still does not work. I tried going online/offline between un-installing and re-installing. Also, I really logged out (Steam asked for password after starting). But nothing worked.

As noted in the other thread, I also installed a fresh copy of OSX. Then installed Steam, but even on this copy FG does not download. And it seems that I am not the only one. Eru the One has the same issue on two Macs of him.

damned
May 25th, 2014, 08:32
Hey Moon Wizard - its been reported on Steam Community too https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/540742667413777969/

Moon Wizard
May 25th, 2014, 08:56
The Mac install is Doug's project. I don't even own a Mac. So, we'll have to wait for him to figure it out.

JPG

Zeus
May 25th, 2014, 09:16
There was an issue with sufficient platform keys being available but this has since been resolved. I deleted my FG install and re-downloaded. All worked first time for me.

Tis odd.

FlynnTheAvatar
May 25th, 2014, 09:29
Could be there an issue with the FG keys? Like some keys are pointing to a wrong version of FG? Or are bound to the Windows version only?

The issues started after activating my FG key on steam.

Zeus
May 25th, 2014, 09:51
I'm not sure, Doug did amend the key setup yesterday to allow for Ultimate upgrades for Mac from Full. So its possible it maybe key related. I'm pretty sure Doug will sniff out the problem as soon as possible. Please bare with us whilst we continue to troubleshoot.

ddavison
May 25th, 2014, 14:51
Hey guys, I'm wondering if the problem has something to do with the keys still -- and the timing of when you activated it. It's a guess until I hear back from Valve, but can you try to re-activate a product with your license key again. I'm thinking it might be some issue where you activated when the key was still flagged as Windows instead of All Platforms and that may be the issue. It's just a guess.

FlynnTheAvatar
May 25th, 2014, 16:46
Thanks for the tip, but it still does not work.
I deleted the local content, logged out, logged in again, and re-activated my FG key. Steam said that the key was already activated but continued the installation anyways. Sadly, nothing was downloaded (0/0 bytes) - again.

BTW: Language in Steam is set to English.

ddavison
May 25th, 2014, 16:53
Okay, I'm going to have to wait until I hear back from Valve for Steam Support.

FlynnTheAvatar
May 25th, 2014, 16:54
Just another idea because I had a similar issue a few days ago. Steam will not download any executables/files that are not compatible with your current OS. Wolfenstein The New Order is 64-bit only, so it will not download the binaries to a 32-bit Windows. Could it be that the wrapper is set to a specific architecture/OS X version? I have issues with OS X 10.9.0 and 10.9.3 (64-bit).

Eru the One
May 25th, 2014, 19:22
Good idea. I'm using an iMac with 10.7.x (32-bit) and Macbook Air with 10.9.x (64-bit) and both do not install FG from Steam, but can install other Steam software without issue. I do use Crossover on both systems, but have removed it from the iMac to help troubleshoot the problem.