PDA

View Full Version : Invitation to a Game of Numenera

ExNusquam
May 21st, 2014, 02:40
I am about to run my first game of Numenera - my first time playing and my first time GM'ing. That being said, I feel that I understand the RAW and RAI of the game (they are fairly simple) and have also embraced some of the advanced/optional rules set out in the Guide. I am coming from a fairly numbers and tactics-intense background of D&D (mostly) and PF (a little). Some of the other players may, as well. I am NOT experienced with the Fate system, I am NOT experienced with The Window RPG, Savage Worlds, or Amber, etc.

In a nod to my transition, the game will be slightly house-ruled, as described below. The rules are not ground-breaking nor are they game-breaking; if anything, they simply expand upon the players' options a bit for those of us who like options.

Read below and contact me if you are interested. Thanks in advance.

About the Game:

Setting - World of Numenera as presented in the source book
Party - goal size of 5 players + GM (me) - current openings: 5
Type - RP > fighting; there will be battles, there will be bloodshed, but the focus is not on fights... but adventuring (and fighting) (does that make sense?)
Maps - Digital maps, as usual; no grids used, if possible - I would like to run this like I DM'ed in the '80's - TotM with enough mapping to keep players grounded and to have a focal point
Communication - Skype. Do not apply if you don't have a working mic; I do not use TS3, etc.; I have a Skype premium account and can host multi-video conferencing if everyone agrees and has a camera
Length - "Several weeks" to test out the game, rules, environment, feeling - further adventures TBD
Times - Weekly, the day TBD, but either Mondays or Tuesdays, likely; start time ~8pm Central Standard Time (CST)
When - likely to start within one month; exact date TBD

Houserules - Houserules are simple and will be detailed after applications are reviewed. Essentially ALL types of homemade foci and descriptors - even types - are free game, but they will be reviewed and approved on a one-by-one basis. Feel free to use other systems' feats and talents, backgrounds and traits, features and tricks to build a foci or to alter your type's (nano, etc.) abilities.
Crazy broken will not be allowed. Crazy workable stuff will be welcomed. Why the houserules? After I read the Guide, my first thought was - "this game needs more options"... feel free to get ideas by looking at : https://theninthworld.com/resources/

About me:
Timezone - CST (GMT -5 during DST)
Location - KS, USA
email - exnusquam at gmail dot com
Age - 40's
Gaming experience - D&D 0e (classic D&D), 1e, 4e, 5e, PF (3.75e, according to the internet)

About you (and me):
Dependable. (Of critical importance; I essentially don't cancel or skip game sessions if my players are there)
Fun.
Mature.
Team-player.
Excited. (about checking out Numenera)
RP-centric (don't apply if you want to play this like it's PF/D&D 4e - I already have a PF group that I game with and this is about as far from 4e as you can get)
Weird. (It helps in this setting, I'd say)
Imaginative. (Same)
Not evil. Not vindictive. Not a d!(#. Able to roll with punches. (There will be left hooks).

Valarian
May 21st, 2014, 14:00
I ran a Numenéra game a little while ago and would love to play. Wrong time zone for me though. Good luck with running the game.
To potential players, Numenéra is a great (and weird) game. Simple mechanics, weird and wonderful setting. Give it a go!

ExNusquam
June 2nd, 2014, 04:27
No takers yet - just thought I'd bump to make sure no one was interested for now.

Dr_Babylon
June 2nd, 2014, 04:54
I think it sounds like a really enthralling setting and, of course, I find your request for imaginative, team-focused players to be a respectable aim. You would already have my devotion as I have been itching for a chance to try Numenera on a North American schedule. Alas, I suspect my penchant for text-only communication (my mantra, really) has become something of a recurring issue. I do hope you are able to find a group who will explore this venue as you intend.