PDA

View Full Version : New to FG

Kamai
May 20th, 2014, 21:49
So, I saw this on Steam, and after looking at some other map tools, and thinking to how I've run campaigns over Skype in the past (module tab + so many notebook tabs + Pathfinder SRD tabs), I can see a lot of value in having a lot of FG's functions handy. This leaves me with a few questions, though.
1) $150 is a very steep price tag. It's possible that I could split out the cost some, but I'd have to have my friends more sold on it than I am, and I'm not sure if I could do that sight unseen. Does this tool really save enough time to be worth the money?
2) I like homebrewing, and I find myself improvising more than here and there. How difficult is it to add homebrew, and how far off the premade map can I really go before I'm just better off using something like Roll20? In other words, is it still a really useful tool for a semi-improvised style, or is it only valuable enough for someone who runs modules/creates most things beforehand?
3) Not as big of an issue, but if I wanted to use side systems like Pathfinder's Kingdom Building rules, what would it take for this system to be able to help with that?
4) Given that Pathfinder is completely OGL, what would I be outlaying here (either in time or money) to keep this system up to date with their releases?

Griogre
May 20th, 2014, 22:15
Hi Kamai and welcome to the boards. I don't play Pathfinder so I won't answer some questions except generally.

1) Yes. Yes it does save the time especially on a game with an OGL, but only if you use it. I have the same license sold on steam and I have used FG for close to 3,000 hours over the last 6 years. As a compromise you might want to start out with a Full license (the steam version is a full license) because you can upgrade it later to an Ultimate license. The functionality is identical between the Ultimate and Full licenses on the GMing side so you could see its value personally at a lower cost.

2) Once you understand how FG works it easy to improvise providing you have a library of monster stats (which you since will - since there is a pathfinder monster manual available) because you can create encounters quickly on the fly if you already have the monsters input or in a module. You can also just draw maps on the built in battlemap on the fly - they are not pretty but they are functional - so when your party goes right when you thought they were going left you can make it work. There are also a few things you can do like making a few general maps ahead of time that you can just drop in if or when you need them.

3) I'll skip this one.

4) There is a pathfinder parser available to help you convert things into FG modules. If you learn to use the Pathfinder Parser, very little time ie a few hours every 6 months after you do make your initial modules but people more experience with the parser can tell you more.

damned
May 20th, 2014, 22:47
if you have some previous GM experience and you are using Voice then going off the expected track wont slow you down too much.
have at least one generic encounter prepped with tokens and map each session.
have a few generic maps or locations handy too.

Is the $150 for the Ultimate license? That is what I use and I dont regret the money - but even $20 is too much if you dont use it. So watch some videos there are plenty about - Dulux-Oz has some longer more indepth ones - here are some very quick ones that do not get into near as much detail but are good for getting started quickly: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsgd1zJLdiKUrEd85Dqr6UcaaLvD7YlJd Dont worry about the ruleset - its 95% the same.

Zeus
May 21st, 2014, 17:55
Hello and welcome.

1. I am with Griogre here, Ultimate is really targeted at the GM who is likely to host many, many groups of different players some of which whom might not have used FG or have a license. For a more focused group of players or where your looking to dip into FG as a GM for the first time, the Full license would be recommended (along with some Lite licenses for your players).
2. FantasyGrounds has a stock 3.5E and Pathfinder ruleset as a part of the base package, these rulesets are largely maintained and supported by Smiteworks and receive regular updates. As a licensed user of FG, you are able to modify these rulesets for your own groups needs as you require albeit you will have to maintain any modifications yourself. The rulesets use XML to define objects inside FG and a subset of the Lua scripting language to add logic, you will therefore need some knowledge of XML/Lua to achieve this but the forums are awash with supportive community members (chance are someone else may already have the home-brew house rules mods your seeking). Homebrew house rules can be applied to rulesets through the form of extensions allowing you to build atop of the existing rulesets and leverage the underlying support frameworks for rolling dice, making attacks, skill checks etc. etc. As for home-brew campaign/adventures - I think Griogre sums it up pretty well. Using FG is not really that different from running your game at a real table - the key is flexible preparation. Along with the fully prepared adventure material I usually have a few generic maps and random encounters prepared to toss into the mix if the need arises.
3.I can't really answer this as I don't play Pathfinder and have no idea what the Kingdom Building Rules are - however as per point 2 its probably very doable and chances are someone like Trenloe has already got a mod. There is also a City/Town and Shop Extension that allows you to build out a lot of flavour to an urban region.
4. The community has prepared a number of FG modules of the PF content - check out the Pathfinder forum for a list of modules that are available. As per Griogre's notes there are also a couple of external tools available that allow you to prepare/update modules for Pathfinder - again check out the Pathfinder forum.