PDA

View Full Version : Use of drawing tool for GM

Luft
May 20th, 2014, 03:54
I have a couple of questions.

1. If I use the drawing tool as the GM will my drawings show up on the player's copy of the map or whatever? i.e. can I use the tool to illustrate something or point out a location on a map?

2. If I do draw on a map, how do I restore the map to its original form?

Thanks.

Trenloe
May 20th, 2014, 04:07
1. If I use the drawing tool as the GM will my drawings show up on the player's copy of the map or whatever? i.e. can I use the tool to illustrate something or point out a location on a map?
Drawing will appear on the players map immediately after the GM draws on their own map. Note: drawings will appear on top of the mask if you are using it.

You can use other methods to point to a specific area on the map: Click both buttons and drag a line - this will quickly draw an arrow with the same colour as the GM dice. You can only use this to draw one arrow, if you use the method to draw another arrow the first arrow will disappear. If you want to remove an arrow drawn this way, click both mouse buttons together and release without drawing a line.

You can also use letter tokens to indicate things on the map to players. Or find some pointer tokens and use these. There used to be a pointing hand token that came with Fantasy Grounds but I don't think it comes with it anymore.

2. If I do draw on a map, how do I restore the map to its original form?
Right click on the map, go to the "Drawing" menu (bottom centre) and select "clear drawing". More info in the drawings section here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images

You might also want to lock the drawing layer so the players can't draw mustaches on your NPC pictures...

Trenloe
May 20th, 2014, 04:12
I forgot to mention: you can run another instance of Fantasy Grounds on the same computer and join the game with a host address of localhost - this will allow you to experiment and see exactly what the players would see.

Mask_of_winter
May 20th, 2014, 15:43
You might also want to lock the drawing layer so the players can't draw mustaches on your NPC pictures...

Some of my players have drawn far worst lol

JohnD
May 20th, 2014, 16:26
Has anyone tried to use a tablet/pen combo for drawing instead of a mouse? Wondering how that would work.

Trenloe
May 20th, 2014, 16:37
Has anyone tried to use a tablet/pen combo for drawing instead of a mouse? Wondering how that would work.
It works OK with a touch screen, so no reason why a tablet/pen wouldn't work too.

Griogre
May 20th, 2014, 17:06
I know people who have used tablet/pens in FG2, I presume they still works in FG3.

Moon Wizard
May 21st, 2014, 00:10
The code for tablet/pen support is still in the client as it was originally implemented. I don't have a tablet/pen to test, but assume it should still work.

Cheers,
JPG

Zeus
May 21st, 2014, 17:32
I use a Wacom Intuos4 tablet and stylus and they work fine with FG although you won't get any pen pressure effect for drawing etc. I even use it for FG when running under Wine on my Macs. Aside from drawing in FG with the tablet I primarily use it to fast scroll/pan very large images.