PDA

View Full Version : NPC Character Sheet

Luft
May 20th, 2014, 02:04
I notice that the NPC character sheet is much abbreviated as compared to the player character sheets. If I am trying to create a demon for an adventure I can't drag any powers and drop them onto the sheet. example: Bolt.

Also, for NPCs how do I enter a damage like 1d6+str?

Mask_of_winter
May 20th, 2014, 02:25
Drag & Drop the dice into damage window to enter damage, ctrl+mouse wheel up/down to add modifiers. And you're right, the NPC sheet is shorter and with less automation than the PC sheet. You can drag and drop Edges and Hindrances though. Monstrous Abilities too.

damned
May 20th, 2014, 02:39
If you want your NPC to be fully stat'd up - make it a Character...

Mask_of_winter
May 20th, 2014, 02:44
Yes, you can drag any entry from a bestiary into the Character Selection window to make it a PC.

Luft
May 20th, 2014, 03:39
But if I make a bad guy NPC into a character how do I hide the fact that he's in the game from the other PCs? Won't his portrait show up at the top of the screen like the other PCs?

damned
May 20th, 2014, 03:50
I *believe* you should be able to create Character - log in on a localhost and select him so that he is not available to other players. When that localhost logs out - no one can see him but GM can still use him.

Trenloe
May 20th, 2014, 03:58
But if I make a bad guy NPC into a character how do I hide the fact that he's in the game from the other PCs? Won't his portrait show up at the top of the screen like the other PCs?
Firstly, PCs not selected by the players will not be seen along the top of the screen. You can have lots and lots of PCs in the Character Selection window, but only those selected by the players will be shown along the top left of the desktop.

Secondly, Savage Worlds has a nice feature that the GM can use in the Character Selection screen - right click on a PC you don't want the players to see (and therefore select) and select the "Make Unavailable" option (top right radial option). When players log in and go to the Character Selection screen they will not see characters made unavailable and so won't be able to select them, nor will they know they are there.

As the GM you can drag any character from the character selections screen to the combat tracker. By default their faction status will be friendly (green smiling face), change the faction to unfriendly or neutral so that the PCs can't move their token around on the maps etc.. Then you can use this character just like an NPC - open the character sheet by pressing the grey link to the right of the entry in the combat tracker and make rolls from the sheet.

Luft
May 20th, 2014, 04:07
Perfect! Thanks! :)

ddavison
May 20th, 2014, 05:18
One other tip:

You can drag an NPC directly to the character window and it will stat them out for you - or vice versa. Drag a character sheet to the NPC sheet to make an NPC record for them and then you can add them to an Encounter and treat them like any other NPC.

Ikael
May 20th, 2014, 12:02
Personally if I need fully blown NPC I create one as PC and make it unavailable to players. Thereafter I drag and drop finished villain from character selection screen into NPC/Personalities list to convert it to NPC with all descriptions from PC sheet. Then I use the NPC version in my game. There are several advantages in using NPC instead of PC as GM, mostly in combat tracker. For example attack lines are only displayed for NPC entries

Luft
May 20th, 2014, 17:20
Wow, there's a lot to learn. This is a very powerful program and it seems to be getting better all the time.

damned
May 20th, 2014, 17:36
Wow, there's a lot to learn. This is a very powerful program and it seems to be getting better all the time.

+1

There are so many things that some of these rulesets can do - its hard to get your head around it all.
Good thing is - you only have to use the things you want to use :)