PDA

View Full Version : Cold Iron damage type

Trenloe
May 19th, 2014, 22:10
There is currently an issue with the FG 3.0.3 3.5e and PFRPG rulesets where "cold iron" damage type is being seen as "cold" and "iron" which can screw cold iron DR up and can also make cold energy resistance be applied to cold iron damage. A fix has been requested, but it is not clear when that will be made as it is not an easy fix.

In the meantime, if as a GM, anyone wants to make the manual changes in NPC and PC records to use "coldiron" instead of "cold iron" then they can use the attached extension for the 3.5E and PFRPG ruleset that adds coldiron as a recognised damage type:

hangarflying
May 20th, 2014, 00:14
Thanks!

Trenloe
May 21st, 2014, 00:00
Note: this could be a very short lived extension. A fix for "cold iron" is in 3.0.4 test.

Gwaihir Scout
May 21st, 2014, 01:21
Thanks anyway. I'll get use out of it in the meantime.

darrenan
June 14th, 2014, 02:38
This doesn't appear to be working in 3.0.4. I place a character and a Babau in the combat tracker, drag them to the map and start a combat. The character does not have a cold iron weapon, should I expect to see DR applied automatically when his damage is rolled? Because I'm not. In my estimation this shouldn't even be a cold iron issue, since Babau also has DR/good. It appears that all of the Babau's defenses were parsed correctly. This was with no extensions loaded.

darrenan
June 14th, 2014, 02:45
I've managed to get it working a few times, but I haven't been able to isolate exactly which change I made to the Babau to make it start working. It seems to be some combination of syntax and cycling through initiative order? I'm confused, any insight would be appreciated.

EDIT: No extensions installed BTW.

Trenloe
June 14th, 2014, 02:51
This doesn't appear to be working in 3.0.4. I place a character and a Babau in the combat tracker, drag them to the map and start a combat. The character does not have a cold iron weapon, should I expect to see DR applied automatically when his damage is rolled? Because I'm not. In my estimation this shouldn't even be a cold iron issue, since Babau also has DR/good. It appears that all of the Babau's defenses were parsed correctly. This was with no extensions loaded.
It's the "or" clause that is breaking it. "cold iron" on its own will work fine, but if there is any "or" clause in DR it appears to break any DR.

darrenan
June 14th, 2014, 03:02
I think this issue goes back to the way DR is listed in the bestiary module for this creature (and presumably others, I haven't checked other entries just yet), or possibly the parsing code that turns the information on the NPC sheet into an effect in the combat tracker.

In the library, Babau is listed as having "DR 10/cold iron or good" in its SQ field. When dragged to the combat tracker, this is parsed into the following effect: "DR: 10 cold iron or good", which does not work. It doesn't appear that 'or' is a valid separator there, only comma is. If I change the effect to "DR: 10 cold iron, good" then resistance is applied (I still haven't verified that cold iron and good weapons bypass it correctly, that was next on my to do list).

So, is the issue with the format in the library, or in the code that creates the effect?

EDIT: Oh, beat me to the punch ;-)

darrenan
June 14th, 2014, 03:05
And it's only the effect that makes any difference right? The text in the "Special" field under defenses in the combat tracker is purely informational? That's my assumption at this point.

darrenan
June 14th, 2014, 03:12
I can get cold iron OR good to work, but I can't figure out a way to have it correctly apply both. Here's what I did:

1. Add two daggers to my character, made one cold iron and the other good (by putting those keywords into the "Type" field under damage).
2. On the Babau, I tried "DR: 10 good;", "DR: 10 cold iron;", "DR: 10 cold iron, good;" and "DR: 10 cold iron; DR: 10 good;". The first two worked correctly in that one of my daggers bypassed DR and the other didn't. With the second two, neither of my daggers bypassed DR.

Trenloe
June 14th, 2014, 03:36
It's currently broken, it's supposed to support "or" so that it directly translates from the statblock DR listing.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Effects

darrenan
July 7th, 2014, 02:20
Was this supposed to be fixed in 3.0.5? 3.0.5a? It still seems to not work when the 'or' is in there, as of last night. Just wondering if that's to be expected still, or not.

Trenloe
July 7th, 2014, 05:51
Works fine when I check it - using a "Demon, Babau" from the Bestiary module with DR:10 cold iron or good.