PDA

View Full Version : 'Fantasygrounds.exe has stopped working' message and now can't start the program.

dungeongrub
May 19th, 2014, 19:25
Hi, does anyone have a clue how to deal with this or why it would suddenly start showing this message? It's REALLY annoying and this is the latest in a line of issues I have had with this program. To be honest I am pretty close to just sacking the whole Fantasy Grounds product which is a shame because I think when it's working the product looks fantastic and is really useful. I'm not computer savvy so haven't gone delving into my hard drive. I'm running the latest version of FG on Windows 7.

I would be really grateful for any help.

ddavison
May 19th, 2014, 21:04
When do you get this message? Can you provide the steps you take to receive the message?

Also, have you rebooted lately and updated your FG within the app from the Launch screen? I'd be curious if there are any other installations that need a reboot which might be impacting it.

dungeongrub
May 19th, 2014, 21:48
I get the message after choosing a campaign from the opening screen. I have recently updated through the launch screen. I was wondering if I should just delete FG and try a re-install.

ddavison
May 19th, 2014, 21:59
Are you launching an existing campaign or creating a new one? Are you running through Steam or outside of Steam?

dungeongrub
May 19th, 2014, 22:57
I'm launching from an existing campaign. I just tried launching a new campaign and I still get the .exe failure. I'd never really heard of Steam before so I guess I'm not using it to run FG!

Trenloe
May 19th, 2014, 23:03
A couple of things:

In case this is related to file access issues, try running FG as Administrator. Right-click on the FG Icon and select "Run As Administrator".
Try running an update - even though the Update button might not be highlighted. Do this after running as administrator.

If the above doesn't work - what ruleset are you using for the campaign/s that don't work? Perhaps try a new CoreRPG campaign to see if it is an issue with the ruleset.

Moon Wizard
May 20th, 2014, 05:16
I was just going to suggest all the things Trenloe has. Please let us know what happens.

Also, try removing the tokens subdirectory from the FG data folder. There are a few image file anomalies that I've found that cause this issue. It doesn't happen in 99% of image files, but I have found a couple. (Specifically in some of the images provided by Hero Lab). We're looking at migrating to Unity in the medium term, and it has a new image processing library.

As another option, a deletion of all data in FG data folder (via folder button in launcher) except campaigns folder, re-update from launch screen, and try again. This should remove any issue outside of the campaign data.

Regards,
JPG

dungeongrub
May 20th, 2014, 19:41
IT LIVES!!!!

I went through all the suggested fixes and the last one by Moon Wizard worked (deleting all the non campaign data through the launcher then updating). My campaign writing from the past couple of weeks is saved. Thanks very much to you ddavidson, Trenloe and Moon Wizard for your help. I have now stopped having a temper tantrum and will keep using FG now I know how to get over this issue if it happens again.

I have been fumbling around with the 4e Parser recently (which I am clueless at how to work) so I don't know if I screwed something up that way...

ddavison
May 20th, 2014, 20:23
It's completely understandable. We are glad it got resolved.

damned
May 20th, 2014, 22:51
I have been fumbling around with the 4e Parser recently (which I am clueless at how to work) so I don't know if I screwed something up that way...

The 4E parsers can be a frustrating experience to get started on - but once you work thru the errors you will have a great resource for FG at your fingertips. Well worth the effort.