PDA

View Full Version : Making objects function that bestow armor bonuses?

Hector Trelane
May 18th, 2014, 22:07
Here's a new mechanics question: I'm trying to create an item using the FG2 Item tab that can bestow a magical armor bonus to the bearer (actually +1 armor and +1 Magic Resistance). I can create an object, write a description, and even link to an image of it using FG2, no problem.

However, to get the described bonuses to these stats to actually function as part of the character sheet--is this possible? I think the answer is (currently) "no".

A follow up question: could these bonuses (or "buffs" to use MMO lingo) be accomplished using the Modifier or Effects functions in FG2? I played around a bit with that last night but had no success, since, as near as I can gather, Modifier simply add or subtracts from the next die roll, and Effects similarly apply a die roll bonus or penalty to a given (N)PC in the Combat Tracker for a specified number of rounds.

Of course, what I'm trying to accomplish is a bonus (or penalty) to a stat other than the die roll. I'd love to hear if others have figured out a work-around. Thanks in advance.

Doswelk
May 19th, 2014, 13:15
Right now all you can do is add modifiers to toughness on character sheet that can be switched on and off, I cannot remember if they are core or require Ikael's extension right now, once I get home I'll check and make some screen shots.

Doswelk
May 20th, 2014, 07:14
Sorry for the delay, PC died had to rebuild before I could take screen grab.

6505 You need to have loaded Ikael's character sheet extension to do this, then you right click on any derrived stat and select + ​button to add a modifier.

Ikael
May 20th, 2014, 11:56
Sorry for the delay, PC died had to rebuild before I could take screen grab.

6505 You need to have loaded Ikael's character sheet extension to do this, then you right click on any derrived stat and select + ​button to add a modifier.

This feature is part of Enhanced Character Sheets extension (migrated in SW4). To enable this feature you must set "Auto-update derived stats" to ON in preferences. when set to on you csnnot no longer manually set PC derived stat values, instead you must define all modifiers to each derived stats the way Doswelk described. In addition to right clicking, you can also access the modifier menu by double clicking, or middle-mouse clicking on field. The benefit of this feature is that you can see what modifiers setup your final derived stat value and you toggle them on/off easily. In addition, if your base value it is auto reflected to final value.

To answer your original question: no better feature exists yet, but I have been playing around ideas you mentioned, but haven't done anything concrete about them yet

Dershem
May 20th, 2014, 23:40
On a further question is there a way to create an adjustment for like boost that will allow you to apply an effect to up a die type?

Mask_of_winter
May 20th, 2014, 23:51
You can use Effects and apply it to the character on the combat tracker as a reminder but it will not change the die type for you.

Dershem
May 21st, 2014, 00:10
So if a PC has the power Shapeshifting would you recommend creating a second character for when they are shape shifted.

Mask_of_winter
May 21st, 2014, 00:18
Yeah, that's the only way I can think of.

Hector Trelane
May 23rd, 2014, 22:44
This feature is part of Enhanced Character Sheets extension (migrated in SW4). To enable this feature you must set "Auto-update derived stats" to ON in preferences. when set to on you csnnot no longer manually set PC derived stat values, instead you must define all modifiers to each derived stats the way Doswelk described. In addition to right clicking, you can also access the modifier menu by double clicking, or middle-mouse clicking on field. The benefit of this feature is that you can see what modifiers setup your final derived stat value and you toggle them on/off easily. In addition, if your base value it is auto reflected to final value.

To answer your original question: no better feature exists yet, but I have been playing around ideas you mentioned, but haven't done anything concrete about them yet

Ikael and Doswelk, thanks for the guidance.

This raises a follow up question: can more than one such modifier be added? An actual example I failed to get properly working the other day was reflecting a conflicting Edge and Hindrance on Charisma. (Attractiveness +2 Charisma; Addiction (Minor, Tobacco): -1 Charisma). I couldn't figure out how to get the interface to allow me to add both, so I just typed it all on one line with a net +1. Not a big problem since those are more-or-less permanent conditions, but Armour bonuses to Toughness, as in Doswelk's example, would be nice to separately list, since armor can be taken on and off (a police detective who only wears a bullet proof vest in certain situations, for example).

Thanks.

Hector Trelane
May 23rd, 2014, 22:45
So if a PC has the power Shapeshifting would you recommend creating a second character for when they are shape shifted.

Funny, I expect I'll need to handle this very thing in the near future -- plan to import a WoD Garou into my hybrid New Orleans Noir chronicle...

Trenloe
May 23rd, 2014, 23:31
This raises a follow up question: can more than one such modifier be added?
Just double click each modifier and you will see little dots appear below the modifier "sheriff star" in the bottom left of the desktop and the running modifier will be shown in the middle of the star. If you hover over the dots you will see the modifier name and bonus above the star. Click on the dot if you need to remove a specific bonus.

Hector Trelane
May 27th, 2014, 01:22
Just double click each modifier and you will see little dots appear below the modifier "sheriff star" in the bottom left of the desktop and the running modifier will be shown in the middle of the star. If you hover over the dots you will see the modifier name and bonus above the star. Click on the dot if you need to remove a specific bonus.

I see that works for up to six modifiers -- thanks. Follow up questions:

1) In the Modifier window, what's the little checkbox next to each Modifier? Doesn't seem to matter whether it's checked or unchecked.
2) Same question for Effects -- there's a checkbox that doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect.
3) For Effects, I can't seem to get them to result in any modifier to the die-roll at all. Should they? It seems simply to be a label of the Combat Tracker with a countdown function -- but the GM/Marshall will need to track what impact that Effect has on gameplay (because nothing is automated). Is that accurate?

Thanks in advance.

Mask_of_winter
May 27th, 2014, 02:13
1) checkbox is to make it public
2) same thing
3) for those modifiers to work the dice need rolled from the character or npc sheet or the combat tracker

Ikael
May 27th, 2014, 07:43
1 & 2) They are used to define if modifier or effect is visible for player. This however is buggy in SW3, but its fixed in upcomming SW4
3) Currently Effects are just labels with countdown feature. I have been thinking making them more powerful~ allow modifers to rolls and stats, but haven't needed that too much myself. I usually write modifier in the label, for example "Deflect -4" to note me and players what modifiers apply

I see that works for up to six modifiers -- thanks. Follow up questions:

1) In the Modifier window, what's the little checkbox next to each Modifier? Doesn't seem to matter whether it's checked or unchecked.
2) Same question for Effects -- there's a checkbox that doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect.
3) For Effects, I can't seem to get them to result in any modifier to the die-roll at all. Should they? It seems simply to be a label of the Combat Tracker with a countdown function -- but the GM/Marshall will need to track what impact that Effect has on gameplay (because nothing is automated). Is that accurate?

Thanks in advance.

Hector Trelane
May 28th, 2014, 01:49
I usually write modifier in the label, for example "Deflect -4" to note me and players what modifiers apply

Makes sense, a simple-but-effective workaround. I suppose everything can't be automated, and perhaps it's fun to do some rolls and calculations manually -- keep some of the PnP feel to the virtual table top...