PDA

View Full Version : Savage World's Language Features

Luft
May 17th, 2014, 18:45
What does the Language Features option in the Savage Worlds Options actually do? I see it allows me to "create" languages.

For example if I create a "Dwarven" language there is a little dropdown selector below the chat window. It will contain whatever languages that I have created. If I choose "Dwarven" and then time "Hello World!" into the chat box and enter it the output in the chat window will be:

GM (Dwarven): Hello World (The Hello World part is inside a speak bubble.)

joeru
May 17th, 2014, 20:34
From the release notes:

[Feature]*Option to add languages to the game. When enabled, characters can pick a language to speak in, and only characters who have that language will understand it*

Mask_of_winter
May 17th, 2014, 23:49
Basically, only the players with the language Dwarven in their character sheet will read your message as "Hello World!" for others it will read as gibberish. I'm not sure if its that well supported for Savage Worlds but in some rulesets (3.5, Pathfinder and Castle and Crusades it will appear as if written in Dwarven runes. https://youtu.be/SXcG3Nc4QZk

Luft
May 18th, 2014, 19:52
Basically, only the players with the language Dwarven in their character sheet will read your message as "Hello World!" for others it will read as gibberish. I'm not sure if its that well supported for Savage Worlds but in some rulesets (3.5, Pathfinder and Castle and Crusades it will appear as if written in Dwarven runes. https://youtu.be/SXcG3Nc4QZk

It looks like it is supported. A friend of mine logged onto my server to test things out. He's using the demo version. I created a campaign using the Savage Worlds ruleset. There is an option for the Language mod built into the options for the Savage Worlds ruleset. I don't see that in the other rulessets.

I sent him a chat message using the Goblin Language that I added and he saw it as gibberish. However, we can't figure out how to give his character the goblin language skill using the Savage Worlds ruleset.

I see that his character sheet has a box for languages but I can't seem to enter anything in it.

Edit: I found out how to add languages. Simply drag and drop the language from the languages window to the language box on the character sheet. Very slick.