PDA

View Full Version : Would Like Assistance Testing Connection

willquestion
May 17th, 2014, 06:07
Hello all,
I'm at a hotel and I'd really appreciate it if someone can help me test the connection so I know I can host a game from here via a VPN. Please PM me and I'll give you the IP address.

UPDATE 5/17/14:
Okay, I may have this fixed with the VPN service. If someone can try connecting to the alias: nosy turret oily dice

UPDATE Parte Dos:
Works great. That VPN is handier than I thought.

damned
May 17th, 2014, 06:35
cannot connect - did you try the Test Connection?
unless the hotel gives you a public ip address (strangely ive had this happen) it seems unlikely to work...

willquestion
May 17th, 2014, 06:54
The test is failing. Mask_of_Winter is helping me out with testing it. I opened a ticket with TORguard VPN to see about getting port forwarding for 1802. Their FAQ said they can so we'll see if that works out. I work nights at this hotel and mid week it's just dead, so I thought it would be nice to run a game during that time, especially for people who are in a time-zone who are awake.

damned
May 17th, 2014, 07:02
try this too - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20309-GM-Connection-Issues-Tried-Everything-Try-Hamachi&highlight=hamachi
Took me 10mins to get it working including Hamachi signup.

willquestion
May 17th, 2014, 07:18
try this too - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20309-GM-Connection-Issues-Tried-Everything-Try-Hamachi&highlight=hamachi
Took me 10mins to get it working including Hamachi signup.

That's what I've been using (and it works great) but I got an email from Hamachi saying the the sevice will no longer be free.

damned
May 17th, 2014, 07:34
That's what I've been using (and it works great) but I got an email from Hamachi saying the the sevice will no longer be free.

Ahhh... that is the thing with free services... good to know. How much will they be charging?
Unless a free service can be monetized via advertising etc it cannot normally be sustained for too long...

willquestion
May 17th, 2014, 07:37
Here's a screen shot from their site.

willquestion
May 17th, 2014, 07:38
Maybe the FG community should look into a new alternate service and have a guide for it. I remember my first frustrations using FG and not first getting why it didn't work.

willquestion
May 17th, 2014, 10:50
Okay. I think this may be fixed. Can someone connect to me via the alias and then let me know if it works. The alias is: nosy turret oily dice

damned
May 17th, 2014, 10:57
Im in....

Mask_of_winter
May 17th, 2014, 10:58
Glad you got your technical issues solved!

willquestion
May 17th, 2014, 11:00
Damned has logged in and it works great. So all is good! Thanks again damned.

Trenloe
May 17th, 2014, 14:48
Can I just ask which service they said would no longer be free? Did it say "LogMeIn Free" was the service that would no longer be free, or did they say "LogMeIn Hamachi"?

"LogMeIn Free" was a cut down remote desktop product (not VPN) that they have indeed phased out recently. "LogMeIn Hamachi" is a different product, which includes the VPN.

willquestion
May 17th, 2014, 16:48
Can I just ask which service they said would no longer be free? Did it say "LogMeIn Free" was the service that would no longer be free, or did they say "LogMeIn Hamachi"?

"LogMeIn Free" was a cut down remote desktop product (not VPN) that they have indeed phased out recently. "LogMeIn Hamachi" is a different product, which includes the VPN.

I couldn't find LogMeIn Free at all but their site recognized my log in info from back when I used it last. I downloaded LogMeIn Hamachi which ended up being a trial version. I got an email saying LogMeIn was no longer free and that the version I have would expire in 7 days.

This article seems to talk about it but it was sent to me in email format. https://www.pcworld.com/article/2089518/logmein-just-logged-everyone-out-of-free-service.html

Hopefully an alternative software can be found that's free for those who don't have a VPN.

On a personal note, I will say I love HideMyAss's interface and the speed is decent enough, but they keeps logs of activity which kinda annoys me. To me AirVPN, TorGuard, and PureVPN are good. Also I would really suggest people use a VPN if they are regularly using public wifi for their internet (airports, cafes, hotels, etc). People can snoop in and get your usernames, passwords, and credit card numbers. VPNs will encrypt your connection even in these public wifi situations so if someone snoops on your connection they will see what appears to be random non-sense. Geek speech done.

Andraax
May 17th, 2014, 18:06
Hopefully an alternative software can be found that's free for those who don't have a VPN.

PC Mag: Free VPN Services You Should Know About (https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390381,00.asp)

Trenloe
May 17th, 2014, 19:07
The link mentioned above is for the LogMeIn Free service which is not not the Hamachi VPN. You can't find the LogMeIn Free product on the site as they have removed it.

This has been causing a lot of confusion. As far as I can tell the LogMeIn Hamachi is still for free with 5 connections.

willquestion
May 17th, 2014, 20:06
As far as I can tell the LogMeIn Hamachi is still for free with 5 connections.

So DM and four players? Or five players connected to the DM?

Griogre
May 17th, 2014, 22:46
DM + 4 players, 5 person Network.

damned
May 18th, 2014, 00:18
But as someone pointed out the GM can setup 2 Hamachi Free (unmanaged) VPNs and connect some players to interface 1 and some to interface 2 for larger groups!
Still... the *free* part may change in the future but it still looks free to me.