PDA

View Full Version : Faking Rolls

Carthar
May 17th, 2014, 04:43
I know all GM rolls are hidden. So I can always just lie about hits/misses/saves/etc.

Is there any way to fake rolls that are automatically applied, such as damage rolls?

Or even rolls players make?

Just wondering....

Carth

damned
May 17th, 2014, 04:46
vote it on the wishlist :)
very handy to "enter a number" and then have the die return that result :)

Andraax
May 17th, 2014, 05:00
"/die 16" returns a 16. Works for any number.

Griogre
May 17th, 2014, 20:37
Is there any way to fake rolls that are automatically applied, such as damage rolls?

Or even rolls players make?

Just wondering....

Generally speaking, you can't fake automatically applied rolls as a GM. But... you can cheat the rolls either way. IE if your monsters/NPCs got a few lucky crits the first round and you want to give your players a break, then the next round just put a -5 mod into all the monster's attack rolls. The odds are the monsters are going to have a bad round and give the PCs a chance to recover. Note: you want to use hot-keys not effects to add the mods if you want to keep this hidden. If you do this to damage rolls keep in mind you need to make sure you don't negative out the entire roll so its obvious. You can do the same thing to favor monsters, though I personally don't like to do this. If the players are wiping an encounter that was suppose to be tough, I usually just let it go... and add another encounter for pacing or plot if I need to. "Those *outer* door guards were wimps but those *inside* guards.... "

Valarian
May 17th, 2014, 20:59
I've been trying to ignore this thread, but I can't. Why fake rolls? That is ... well, cheating. Either in favour of or, worse, against the players. If a roll is called for, let the dice roll where they will and run with the consequences of that - for good or ill. The idea of faking (or even hiding) the GM roll is anathema to the concept of a random event. If it's not going to be random but arbitrary, then don't roll and just make the decision.

Griogre
May 17th, 2014, 21:14
Ah, an important philosophical discussion on GMing. :) I personally very rarely fake or change rolls anymore, but as a GM I always reserve the right to. That's because, ultimately, I believe role playing games are to have fun and sometimes a statistical outlier of a roll can stop the fun. I don't think that's true in a group of experienced and mature roleplayers. But... when I run a group of children or beginner players I *will* often fudge rolls because I don't want to blow them right out of the hobby altogether on their first adventure or I don't want to stop the fun to setup a new character.

Willot
May 17th, 2014, 21:15
I've been trying to ignore this thread, but I can't. Why fake rolls? That is ... well, cheating. Either in favour of or, worse, against the players. If a roll is called for, let the dice roll where they will and run with the consequences of that - for good or ill. The idea of faking (or even hiding) the GM roll is anathema to the concept of a random event. If it's not going to be random but arbitrary, then don't roll and just make the decision.

Well in the end because it's easier.

If something happens in the game that's gonna take the game of its rails then you can with say
"No, sorry I know I rolled a 20 for your henchman attack but I wasnt aware the blade you gave him was vorpal, your not gonna kill the main character so sorry no you dont cut his head off. YES I know it was a natural 20.... etc etc. Then no one is having fun.

OR

Your Henchman rolled a 15 + 4 thats a Hit roll damage, 12 Hits! Nice. Ok Next........ MUCH easier.... But yes this sort of thing should be kept to a Minimum. I guess the ol Adage comes to mind "what they dont know wont hurt them"

Carthar
May 18th, 2014, 00:59

I understand and respect your point of view.

I view it slightly differently. While I enjoy the randomness of gaming and normally let whatever happens happen, there are strictly speaking some situations where the story needs things to go a certain way and the players need to believe that they where the cause of it. I thus accept that in some very limited circumstances the storytelling element needs to trump the random element.

damned
May 18th, 2014, 01:03
both valid points of view - personally story should trump the roll