PDA

View Full Version : First impressions

Luft
May 16th, 2014, 19:02
I just purchased FG Ultimate a couple of days ago and I must say that at this point I'm impressed. A little overwhelmed but impressed.

I've been playing and GMing various RPGs since the early 70s. Yes, some of us old timers enjoy a good RPG. A couple of comments about what I've found so far:

First I wish there was a way to increase the font size without increasing the size of everything else. These old eyes are having a hard time seeing that small print but if I set the UI scale too big I quickly run out of screen real-estate.

Second, the user interface is a little confusing to me. This will get better as I use the software but right now it is unclear to me how to load a scenario module and run it. For example: I purchased a module called "Savage Tales for Fantasy Grounds: Noble Deceit." It's a Savage Worlds adventure. I unzipped the file and copied the mod file into my module directory. However, I don't see it listed anywhere so I'm unable to use it. It doesn't show up in my list modules that I can activate or in my list of campaigns.

Trenloe
May 16th, 2014, 19:07
The module should show up in module activation, only in a campaign using the Savage Worlds ruleset (not any other ruleset), it won't show up in the campaigns list (these are extensions you activate before you start the campaign).

Luft
May 16th, 2014, 19:22
Still a little confused. I thought that this was a campaign? It's listed as an adventure.

Another question: If someone is foolish enough to set the UI size to 200 percent and the settings button is now off the screen, how does one reset the window size? :o

Trenloe
May 16th, 2014, 19:28
Still a little confused. I thought that this was a campaign? It's listed as an adventure.
A "campaign" within FG is a name for the data store that your specific game will use - it needs a ruleset (with or without extensions) and then you add in everything that you need for your game - maps, story, NPCs, PCs, items, etc., etc.. An FG adventure module is opened within a FG campaign - so you need to open a campaign (using the Savage Worlds ruleset in your case) and activate the adventure module within that campaign.

Reading between the lines I'm guessing you may not have the Savage Worlds ruleset? Or, you haven't tried to activate this adventure module within a Savage Worlds FG campaign?

Luft
May 16th, 2014, 20:02
A "campaign" within FG is a name for the data store that your specific game will use - it needs a ruleset (with or without extensions) and then you add in everything that you need for your game - maps, story, NPCs, PCs, items, etc., etc.. An FG adventure module is opened within a FG campaign - so you need to open a campaign (using the Savage Worlds ruleset in your case) and activate the adventure module within that campaign.

Reading between the lines I'm guessing you may not have the Savage Worlds ruleset? Or, you haven't tried to activate this adventure module within a Savage Worlds FG campaign?

Thank you! Whoo-hoo!

I'm starting to catch on. I created a new Campaign called Nobel Deceit and selected the Savage Worlds ruleset. Then I was able to activate the module from the Library. Now let's see if I can figure out how to use it to run a game.

Luft
May 16th, 2014, 20:08
The mod doesn't show up in my Library even after activating it. There are no personalities, graphics or anything.

I guess I still don't have this right.

EDIT:

I found the content!!!

Moon Wizard
May 16th, 2014, 20:45
Just to clarify for future users coming to this thread.

Some adventure modules do not include content in the Library screen, but instead incorporate directly into the appropriate campaign lists (Story, NPCs, Items, ...) as a new tab along the bottom of the list.

Regards,
JPG

damned
May 16th, 2014, 23:33
The interface is - well there are lots of words for it but immediately intuitive its not. Quirky and fun - yes. Right click for radial menus, drag book icons to open and close, compass points to move around map etc. You will get used to and do ask plenty of questions.

Mask_of_winter
May 16th, 2014, 23:53
Welcome aboard Luft! We need more savages on here! hehe