PDA

View Full Version : Steam version problem...

Magnatude
May 15th, 2014, 21:36
hey guys...
Ok I hooked up my SN into Steam and hit the Install.
It downloaded/installed a small group of files into my steam folder.

I hit play:

Error loading data
Ruleset: launcher
Error: Unable to load ruleset file (base.xml)
Do you want to try reloading the data?
{Yes} {No}

Yes does nothing but another "error" sound.
No kills the popup.

I do already have FG on this machine (WinXP) in its native default folder, could this be the prob?
I just don't want to move anything until I know it installs properly in steam before migrating my campaigns.

Trenloe
May 15th, 2014, 21:39
Try right-clicking on Fantasy Grounds in your Steam library and selecting "delete local content" - this will not delete any of your Fantasy Grounds installation or data from before, it will just delete the Steam FG bootstrap files.

Once you've deleted them, reinstall and see if you still have the same issue.

Magnatude
May 15th, 2014, 22:07
yeah, I've done that...
and I've just tried it again.

Nope, same thing happens.

(Not that it effects my ability to use FG... my original install is fine)

I just find this perplexing, I'm not doing anything different than any other of my 300+ Steam games.
(Yeah I'm a Steam-freak)

Mr. Goat
May 15th, 2014, 22:09
When i bought from steam, i had to change the actual Data folder ( automatic on c:/programs files/FG ) wich is strange for steam, i manually changed it to the folder steam created himself( but was empty) and it'S worked for me.

Trenloe
May 15th, 2014, 22:10
From Smiteworks on this thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/558755530660751799/

When you launch it through Steam, stop on the Settings screen and verify your App Directory and your Data Directory. When you launch from outside Steam, do you see different values? If so, you'll want to reset those to match the same location used for the non-Steam version since that is working.

Magnatude
May 15th, 2014, 22:33
Yeah... did not work for me.
Setting Steam checkmarked...
Deleted content...
Deleted rulesets...
re-installed...
Hit the play or new desktop shortcut...
SAME error

I did re-update to get all my rulesets back but could only do that through normal old-launch.

But I did checkmark the Steam button in the settings and it does indicate in steam that I am playing FG.

If I attempt to launch from any steam-related shortcut or via steam interface, I get the error.
if I launch normal via my original FG, it works fine

Moon Wizard
May 15th, 2014, 23:39
The Steam and non-Steam versions of FG are exactly the same, and installed in the same locations by default. We wanted to maintain full compatibility between all users, regardless of where they got FG.

I bet it's the Win XP. There's a different set of code for launching apps in XP vs. all newer versions of Windows. We're probably going to need to drop XP support at some point in the near future, given it's 10 years old now.

Let me see if I can figure out how to get it working. I'll send you a note, because I'll need someone with XP to verify.

Thanks,
JPG

damned
May 15th, 2014, 23:54
We're probably going to need to drop XP support at some point in the near future, given it's 10 years old now.

10? Its more like 12. Soon Ill be able to put it on my bookshelf along with my OD&D, AD&D and 2E books.

Moon Wizard
May 16th, 2014, 00:11
Magnatude,

Please try it again. Exit Steam, relaunch Steam, and launch Fantasy Grounds from the Steam Library.

If that doesn't work still, try deleting local content from Steam Library, and re-installing in Steam.

You won't actually be re-installing FG, just the Steam helper app.

Regards,
JPG

Magnatude
May 16th, 2014, 00:33
Hey, that worked... how did you do that???

lol...

What??? XP???
The reason I still use XP, is because back in the day, I bought some really expensive 3D modeling/rendering software, and I really didn't want to pay thousands of dollars more to "upgrade" every year. So...
I do have a Win7 laptop which I use only Zbrush on that, since Zbrush is like pay once, upgrades free forever.

Dakadin
May 16th, 2014, 03:15
I was having the same problem this morning but whatever you did JPG it fixed it for me also. I am on Windows 7 64-bit so I don't think it was just XP related. It did work when I first tested it after entering in my license key. Then it stopped working either last night or this morning. It is working now though.

Moon Wizard
May 16th, 2014, 04:35
Great! I love hearing that I fixed something before it got reported. :)

JPG