PDA

View Full Version : Another noob looking for a game

BraverThought
May 15th, 2014, 01:36
I just downloaded the game from the steam sale. Only pen and paper i have played is rifts. I have been looking for a system like this for a few years now. I am looking for some players that dont mind helping me get going.

damned
May 15th, 2014, 01:54
Welcome BraverThought - also let people know what sort of availability you have and your timezone and also if you are n a demo license or if you have a license.
Dont stress if a game doesnt open up immediately.

BraverThought
May 15th, 2014, 02:07
I have Full License. Central Time Zone (UTC-06:00), and Im available to play Friday nights at 8pm until sunday 10pm.

Andraax
May 15th, 2014, 02:16
I have a Sunday afternoon (US/Central) Castles and Crusades game that has a couple openings.

Mask_of_winter
May 15th, 2014, 02:19
Braver, are you looking for a group to join or players for a group you're putting together?

BraverThought
May 15th, 2014, 02:29
yea, im looking for a group to join as im not much experienced in this. Also i am interested in playing more than 1 day of weekend if possible.

Mask_of_winter
May 15th, 2014, 02:35
Check this out then: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20995-Trail-of-Cthulhu

If that isn't your cup of tea, look through the Guild Forum. There are many threads with GMs looking for players.

BraverThought
May 15th, 2014, 02:41
I am looking more for a Rifts style game. I never played D&D but that's probably something id go for too.

damned
May 15th, 2014, 02:46
I have to say I cant recall seeing much (any) RIFTS activity here :(

BraverThought
May 15th, 2014, 02:49
well, rifts is what i know most about which isnt much at all. Killing things, finding items, clearing caves/dungeons, leveling up. I guess thats what im looking for.

damned
May 15th, 2014, 02:55
:)
you might find that the ruleset is less relevant than you think.
its the killing things, finding things, role playing that we find fun.
you miight even find that a game where you dont get to kill things but you have to find things and survice things and role play would be just as much fun.
Trail of Cthulhu will be less killing but lots of fun.
you will also find that pathfinder or PFS will probably suit you just fine as would D&D and Castles&Crusades
Rolemaster might be too "heavy" at first.
Savage Worlds is fast and fun.

BraverThought
May 15th, 2014, 02:58
yea, i guess i forgot to add the puzzle side of things in the list.

Dr_Babylon
May 15th, 2014, 03:38
Many game systems use a similar approach, though the terminology may differ (plain old hit points vs Structural Damage Capacity). Pathfinder and D&D, for instance, don't track Potential Psychic Energy (P.P.E.) points but have other methods of limiting magic and supernatural powers. If you're considering experimenting with new games, I find that the key to understanding can be found in building on an element that seems familiar (basic attributes from Rifts are quite similar to ability scores in Pathfinder). Once you find a decent toehold, you can surmount nearly any obstacle.

It bears noting that the vast majority of GMs 'round these parts will take the time to familiarize you with the nitty-gritty but communication regarding your own needs and expectations is imperative. Tell them what you need and most will provide requisite assistance until you can find your own way. With patience and consideration, I think you will find the possibilities quite rewarding.

Welcome to the community.

BraverThought
May 15th, 2014, 03:42
sounds good, im going to try and get a few of my buddies on board too. So that should help.

dr_venture
May 15th, 2014, 04:59
BraverThought, welcome! Don't sweat being a noob with a particular game system - just let folks know and jump in. From my experience, folks here are super helpful and very happy to show the the ropes to someone new... it doesn't usually take too long to get in the swing of things. Enjoy!

damned
May 15th, 2014, 05:02
you boys must be psychic - i mentioned both Doc's together in another post a couple of hours ago....

Andrepartthree
May 18th, 2014, 21:31
Wow the steam sale brought a lot of new to FG people.. that's a good thing far as I'm concerned, very good :) ... hope people aren't annoyed at my continuous "same reply over and over again" post to the "newbies" :P but.

Welcome ! :) If you're up for reading a long, sleep-inducing post of stuff I wish someone had told me when I was new to FG :P

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19579-Advice-for-new-FG-players

ballan4
May 19th, 2014, 04:55
Rifts is a great system but I haven't played it in many years. I recommend pathfinder or D & D to start with. There are even a few free adventures available for when you want to start GM'ing. I've found that most RPG's play the same with just different ways of saying things. Keep it up and you'll find a good group to play with here