PDA

View Full Version : Newbie LFG.

RustyAngel
May 15th, 2014, 01:02
Greetings! I'm one of the new initiates from the land of steam, ruled by the wise king Gabe.

...Okay, enough of that. Just grabbed the software this weekend and I must say I am very impressed. My old gaming group fell apart and its been difficult to find players out in the boonies, so this has been a wonderful program. I ran a quick module with a group of people to learn the software and now I'm addicted. My preference is Pathfinder right now (like 75% of everyone posting here for the first time) as I am on a big fantasy kick right now. However I have played games of Cyberpunk (still have my 2020 rule book and my chrome books), World of Darkness (2nd edition ftw), and a few more obscure systems i picked up when our comic book shop held "game of month", and we played different RPG systems every month. Sadly that shop closed recently, another reason i am excited for this program. So right now i'm on my pathfinder kick, but i'm willing to try different things so long as you give me some time to learn.

Voice vs. Text: Personally i prefer text, yes it takes longer but if you have to go AFK you can go back and read, and there is better clarity on what people are saying/doing. (And trust me, you don't want to hear my mic, people in Planetside2 yell/cry when i use it.)

damned
May 15th, 2014, 02:03
Greetings newcomer.
There are a couple of people about the traps that strongly prefer Chat but that will be the minority of games.
dr_venture and dr_babylon are 2 I can think of off hand

and if your mic is no good get a new one - you can get a basic headset and mic from about $8!

post your timezone (in UTC) and your availability too :)

RustyAngel
May 15th, 2014, 02:13
Thanks. As for headsets I've contemplated it, but this one has awesome surround sound (helps when there's a sneaky infiltrator about) its just the mic is bad, supposed i could get a cheap one just to use for FG tho. Text is also my preference as its just something i've gotten used to while RP'ing in MMO's (City of Heroes R.I.P).

Currently I'm in EST, which is UTC-5 if Google is to be trusted. As for availability its pretty much any time during the summer (Classes start up again in Fall).

damned
May 15th, 2014, 02:34
it might be awesome for you but if other players are complaining about your mic - you ought to listen to them...
just saying... if your mic is sending feedback and stuff into the game a lot of others will just turn you off...

RustyAngel
May 15th, 2014, 02:43
Well to be honest it really hasn't been much of an issue. In PS2 I just use the voice macros and everyone was cool with me just typing when we ran the Pathfinder module the past couple of nights. (which was a blast). But if it does become an issue i'll grab a new one, like you said 8$.

damned
May 15th, 2014, 02:49
please do not take my comments as being intentionally rude or anything - just pointing out another perspective on the voice/chat/mic thing.
you did indeed state a preference for chat and thats cool.

RustyAngel
May 15th, 2014, 03:02
na, it's cool. Sorry if my replies came off as snarky.

Mask_of_winter
May 15th, 2014, 03:09
Some groups also use Chat for role play in character and Voice for out-of-character conversations. Just sayin'.

Dr_Babylon
May 15th, 2014, 03:23
Well you had me at City of Heroes. Good times.

As one of the dwindling minority that maintains an exclusively text-only policy, I'd like to welcome you aboard. I am always on the lookout for additional projects and Pathfinder has recently become a favorite. Should I come across such an opportunity, I shall certainly attempt to keep you in mind.

Failing that, good luck in finding that which you seek here. It takes patience, but there are great experiences just around the corner.

RustyAngel
May 15th, 2014, 04:21
Well you had me at City of Heroes. Good times.

As one of the dwindling minority that maintains an exclusively text-only policy, I'd like to welcome you aboard. I am always on the lookout for additional projects and Pathfinder has recently become a favorite. Should I come across such an opportunity, I shall certainly attempt to keep you in mind.

Failing that, good luck in finding that which you seek here. It takes patience, but there are great experiences just around the corner.

Thanks a ton, and if you miss COH ( https://valiance.shogn.net/ ) its supposed to be the spiritual successor to Cox, considering that DCUO and CO are generally judged as 'horrid', it might be worth while.

dr_venture
May 15th, 2014, 04:56
Text for me is important, if for no other reason, in that I live in a very small house, and having a one-sided 4 hour conversation in the middle of the house is just impractical for a number of reasons. If that weren't a consideration, I'd probably use the text-only for all in game dialog and playing, and voice for all OOC chatter and general joking around and plotting.

In any case, welcome RustyAngel. Do have patience and keep looking - it can take a while to find the right game and GM, but it's worth it! The forums here are filled with really nice people - be sure to ask any questions.

Dr_Babylon
May 15th, 2014, 05:20
Even after all these years, Dr V, I still can't help but hear your posts in Urbaniak's desperately cynical tones. How I have missed you.

I'll have to keep an eye on this Valiance business, RustyAngel. Thank you for the heads up. I will admit that DC Online and similar attempts failed to appeal to me in the wake of CoH's demise. Perhaps we can find an enterprising individual hereabouts to helm a workable superhero RPG concept. Lord knows I have some ideas on that subject...

Valarian
May 15th, 2014, 08:20
Voice vs. Text: Personally i prefer text, yes it takes longer but if you have to go AFK you can go back and read, and there is better clarity on what people are saying/doing. (And trust me, you don't want to hear my mic, people in Planetside2 yell/cry when i use it.)
Our group also prefers text over voice chat. Mainly as players also have children and that we feel the in-character feel is better than with voice-chat. I suppose we're a more literary crowd than gaming :)

RustyAngel
May 15th, 2014, 17:24
Even after all these years, Dr V, I still can't help but hear your posts in Urbaniak's desperately cynical tones. How I have missed you.

I'll have to keep an eye on this Valiance business, RustyAngel. Thank you for the heads up. I will admit that DC Online and similar attempts failed to appeal to me in the wake of CoH's demise. Perhaps we can find an enterprising individual hereabouts to helm a workable superhero RPG concept. Lord knows I have some ideas on that subject...

I actually thought that COH could make a good d20 system. Maybe I'll flesh the idea out more in time.

Old Man Trouble
May 15th, 2014, 17:51
I wanted to chime in here express my shared despair at the loss of CoH/CoV. If anyone else frequented the Virtue server, you may have run across one of my myriad of toons. I still search around every few months to see if it might somehow be back up. I tried champions online and didn't much care for it. 8(

I may also be interested in some sort of superhero rpg. Mutants&Masterminds perhaps?

BaseDeltaZero
May 16th, 2014, 06:06
Hey. It's not D&D or CoH, but I have a GURPS Fantasy campaign I'm recruiting for, if you're interested. We've just started character registration, and could use more.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20920-GURPS-Fantasy(ish)-Campaigns-Available!