PDA

View Full Version : DnD Newbie Looking for Game

Ranezu
May 14th, 2014, 16:32
Hello everyone! My name is Ranezu and I've always had an interest for Dungeons and Dragons, but never really got around to actually trying to learn and play. I saw Fantasy Grounds on Steam and figured it may be a good investment.

Essentially, I am completely new but to guide any replies to this post...
1. I want to join a campaign, be it short or lengthy. What ruleset would be most recommended for a new player?
2. Is anyone out there WILLING to take a new player? I'm decent at roleplaying, but I've never played true DnD before.

I want to enjoy my time as a Player, then eventually learn how to GM so I can teach my friends and play with them. But I also want to test-drive FG so I can tell them to buy it lol.

My schedule's pretty simple, but if anyone is willing to take me into their world, I'd be happy to join! My steam display name is nuGs, and you can find me with chy_rath23

Thank you for your time. Looking forward to many adventures!

dr_venture
May 15th, 2014, 05:13
Hey Ranezu, welcome! Best to post your time zone and available hours/days - that way GMs can quickly determine whether your schedule fits their game. Don't worry about being a noob - as long as they know up front, most GMs I've chatted with are happy to show somebody the ropes. Being new at a a game system can be the most fun you'll ever have, as the game mechanics are really foggy and don't guide your game experience as much as they naturally will later... so enjoy it while you can. :)

I'm a bit biased, but I think one of the simpler game systems supported on FG is Castles & Crusades. The game mechanics are about as straight forward as you find in a pen & paper game, and are fairly quick to pick up. It's also relatively cheap. You can find the quick-start rules for free (all the basic rules, a few classes, and the first few levels of spells) on the publisher's web site, here: https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/cnc_qs.pdf

C&C is like a simplified version of classic Dungeons & Dragons, and is a good way to get your feet wet in this type of gaming. Then depending on your tastes, expanding into more advanced/complicated game systems will be easier to do.

Another game system that I'm guessing others would suggest for beginners is Savage Worlds. I don't know much about it, but it has a reputation for having quick and simple rules. Hopefully others more knowledgeable than I will pipe in here with some deets.

Also, either C&C or SW may turn out to be a system you're happy with for the long run, as both systems have advanced gamers that enjoy playing them. But in any case, I think they're good places to start. enjoy!

a.Game.of.Thrones
May 16th, 2014, 23:58
Hi i would like to play too i have steam too and i used to play d&d 3.5 boardgame for years then i could explai u the rules too.

Andrepartthree
May 18th, 2014, 21:25
Welcome ! :) If you're up for reading a long, sleep-inducing post of stuff I wish someone had told me when I was new to FG :P

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19579-Advice-for-new-FG-players