PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Having & Organizing Pre-gen Characters?

willquestion
May 14th, 2014, 12:53
I'd like to slowly build a collection of pre-generated characters that I'll especially use for one day games that last four hours or simply for new players. Can I make them in the manage characters section and then let players use them, create them within a campaign and only use adventures that have been made modules, or is there another method that works better?

~ Will

damned
May 14th, 2014, 13:05
export them and save the xml files.
i think Doug put out a call for any pre-gens etc to save them time when testing out rulesets :)

Valarian
May 14th, 2014, 13:12
I tend to set up the entire demo game as a campaign, and then save the campaign folder before I let players loose on it. I can then remove the campaign after play and restore from the copy when I want to run that demo game again.

Trenloe
May 14th, 2014, 15:44
Two good options above. If you want to have your own library of pregens it is probably best to make them in a campaign and export them as damned mentions above. This will give you XML copies of the characters that can be imported to another campaign or sent to players to use.

See the import a character and export a character in the GM actions section here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Character_Management

Also, if you type /exportchar in the chat window it will export all PCs in the campaign as one XML file - useful for export all as one and import all as one. Perhaps keep a "Pregen making" campaign that only has your pregens, tweek them as you want over time and then do a single /exportchar to export all of them for import into the campaign you will use to play.

Ikael
May 14th, 2014, 15:53
What ruleset are you using? In SW ruleset you can export all characters into modules and use them in any campaign.

ddavison
May 14th, 2014, 16:08
I'd like to slowly build a collection of pre-generated characters that I'll especially use for one day games that last four hours or simply for new players. Can I make them in the manage characters section and then let players use them, create them within a campaign and only use adventures that have been made modules, or is there another method that works better?

~ Will

Once you get them set up and if you don't mind, please consider exporting them and attaching them to this thread:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16459-Central-Character-Repository

You can also grab some from that thread that others have made. Other game systems should have similar threads under the forum. If not, let me know and I'll add one. Having some good sample characters and pre-gens helps remove one more hurdle for new GMs and players.

willquestion
May 14th, 2014, 16:09
Thanks so much guys. That definitely helps! It'll be more work but I'll probably export the characters individually just so I can load up the correct level for the adventure and send single ones to players if need be.

Ikael, I'm using mainly Pathfinder but a bit 4e.

willquestion
May 14th, 2014, 16:16
I just realized I posted in the wrong forum. If a moderator could move this thread it would be much appreciated.