PDA

View Full Version : D&d 3.5

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 13th, 2014, 18:22
Hey everyone, I'm new to the whole dungeons and dragons crowd as I just havn't been able to find enough friends to play with, or have a consistent enough schedule to play. I decided to download this tool as a means to play without pen and paper. So I was wondering if anyone would be willing to work with me on a character sheet and maybe get me started in a few games.

My schedule over the next month or so looks a little like this:
16 - 18 Drill weekend in FT. McCoy
18 - 31 Free, at girlfriends house for those 2 weeks.
31 - jun 14 two week AT in FT. McCoy
then I have the rest of the summer off.

I dont have a skype active right now but I can redownload it and try to figure out what my old account was. But for now my steam account is: sephidude123, the nickname is TrueMoonSlumbers.

I've had an idea for a character that i've been dying to use but most DM's wouldnt like it since its out of the norm. Shoot me a reply here or a message over steam if anyone would be able to help get me started.

the character will be a Sivak Draconian.

damned
May 13th, 2014, 22:54
Welcome aboard @TreeMoonSlumbers

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 14th, 2014, 00:07
Thank you. I'll still need help getting myself going since I've never actually written a character sheet.

my biggest problem with making a Sivak character is the fact that its a dual class to start I believe. Under its favored classes it says "Sivak First, then Fighter" not knowing if the fact that a Sivak is a MONSTER class and if that is a passive benefit gain or a class to start.

damned
May 14th, 2014, 00:27
this is an observation only - i dont play 3.5/3.75/4 - but i do see brand new players seem to always want to play some obscure and typically very powerful combination character.
from the very DMs that comment on these characters i get the impression they are not overly fond of these souped up characters which have almost no chance of occurring "naturally" and also would have great difficulty in role playing in many interactions with normal people - such as going into an Inn or into town...
i could be way off the mark here but I would be looking for the game first and then asking the DM what sort of charcters he allows or is looking for...

just an observation :)

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 14th, 2014, 00:38
They're actually not that souped up until around lvl9 where they are granted flight and the ability to wear heavy armor. Probably the biggest power these guys have that the dragonborn dont have is flight and a tail whip. They lack dragonbreath, the ability to fly well for that matter, and only martial and simple weapon proficiencies. They're not actually that powerful and can be felled just as easily as any normal player. I just prefer the exotics, like, if I really could not use a Sivak, I would probably just use Kobolds.

lore also states that the draconian species united fought a war against their creators and became a legitimate player/npc race that has been balanced out to not be OP. They suffer just as many penalties as the other players as well. such as the reduction in armor class for size past lvl6 (player becomes LARGE class)

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 14th, 2014, 00:40
I just think since everyone else uses humans, elves, drows, i actually get rather bored of them. but right now, my problem is finding a group to play with. I'm just making character sheets ahead of time.

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 14th, 2014, 06:39
Hey, I had my friend over for a bit and we actually managed to make a character sheet for my Draconian. I may be able to sit down and post pictures. But after hours of rolling for decent stats and applying racial bonuses its finally done. the Sivak actually is a monster class and has to hit lvl 10 before it can class into a fighter (or anything else for that matter). It gains feats at 1,5, and 10 along with passive racial feats such as size and the ability to fly awkwardly. Its got a name, gear, and everything is said and done. Ready for 3.5e.

I'll try to find a way to post a picture of the individual pages.

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 14th, 2014, 06:56
and for some reason it won't let me attach files to this, but anyone interested in giving it a look over can shoot me an email or say so and I can email the photoset to them.

damned
May 14th, 2014, 13:10
what type of file are you trying to attach?
what error are you getting?

Trenloe
May 14th, 2014, 15:34
Click the "Go Advanced" button under the reply edit window, you should have access to the attachments button there. There are only certain types of attachments supported (these are listed in add attachment window), if you're trying to attach a non supported file simply ZIP the file and attach the zip.

JohnD
May 14th, 2014, 15:57
Generally speaking, each DM is going to have a list of what's allowed and what isn't in his/her game, along with creation process (i.e. how are stats generated, what is starting equipment, what level, etc...).

The norm is generally for each player to create a PC with this in mind, instead of bringing a pre-made one in which doesn't conform.

Hope you manage to find something.

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 14th, 2014, 17:16
when I try to click that button, nothing happens. That's what I was saying.

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 14th, 2014, 17:25
I can throw out another character now that I have one made. I just always wanted to make a draconian like that and I did. If its not allowed I still have her sitting there waiting to be used.

Trenloe
May 14th, 2014, 17:29
when I try to click that button, nothing happens. That's what I was saying.
Which button? The "Go Advanced" button or the "attachments" button? It's not clear where this is failing for you.

Make sure that popups are not being blocked for this site as attachments is a separate window.

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 14th, 2014, 17:49
the attachments button. I click it and absolutely nothing happens. It highlights and then just sits there, maybe i'm missing something that appears.

Mr. Goat
May 14th, 2014, 17:52
I can support you in the General rules of the 3.5e i can also help you to create a character to be able to join a game from a GM but as my native language often my boundary ( French ) i will not be able to make you join one of ours games. ( and also i'm still learning the tools itself but i'm making good progress ! ask Trenloe he will vouche at wich point i'm deep into learning XD )

i've also got skype. if you are actually interest in the support i can give you send me a PM

as my disponibility : I'm east coast, and my disponibility are random could be in the day could be in the night we will need to discuss in private.

Trenloe
May 14th, 2014, 17:56
the attachments button. I click it and absolutely nothing happens. It highlights and then just sits there, maybe i'm missing something that appears.
Check that popups aren't blocked for this site.

Also check that the URL in your browser is just www.fantasygrounds.com/..... and not https://www.fantasygrounds.com/... If it is httpS then manually remove the "s" so it is just http - this seems to block the attachment functionality on some browsers.

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 14th, 2014, 17:58
thanks guys for the support. I'll sit down when I get back to my dorm room later today and try to attach the character sheet photos to the thread and you guys can tell me if anyone would be interested.

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 15th, 2014, 00:20
these are the character sheet pages 1 through 5, there's no description yet as it is a basic layout for a character. I can probably change the name eventually and add a descrip later.

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 15th, 2014, 00:23
last two.

me and my friend were rolling on the floor when I got a total of 18 charisma (16 +2 racial bonus), we were joking about how I could literally sex up anyone just by asking at this point. Then again, it was just a joke.

Mr. Goat
May 15th, 2014, 01:48
i think you forgot the challenge rating for such a race. challenge rating is there to be able to use powerfull race but you will level slower and at some point its might be negative. you should be able to get lvl2 with only 1000 xp i that case. i would have to look up on the race template for 3.5

edit : i have browsed a bit about the race because i dont know much about draconian race its not something i would allow myself. and considering the large bonus and additionnal race skill. this required a CR although i didn't found any CR info anywhere on internet in the proposed templates. so my deduction is that the race is broken and probably unbalanced :( sry to say

edit2: i found a challenge rating of 6 for sivak wich seem more likely to apply. this mean to gain a lvl from lvl 1 to 2 you would need to gather 21000 experience point. so it should be 0/21000 on your sheet. as a beginner i greatly recommend you to reconsider the race. imagine. you friend are all lvl7 and you just won you first level. at that point you will struggle to survive. if you want dragon like race absolutly i recommand you to try 4th edition wich contains a base race descendant of the dragons that is more easy to play as a beginner

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 15th, 2014, 02:12
https://www.dlnexus.com/fan/rules/12040.aspx this is dragonlance's balanced stats for it. They're the ones that made it a playable race. Its got a table at the far bottom explaining everything. you start off as a medium creature then at lvl 6 become large, and they balance it by making it so that you ahve to hit level 10 as a SIVAK CREATURE before moving on to play another class and gaining those feats and stuff. the CR is 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,6 for lvl 1-10

Mr. Goat
May 15th, 2014, 02:25
Then how will you apply the CR to yourself ? CR is something that should stick on you for life not upgrade as you go.it'S made for compensate the abnormal starting stat.also challenge rating is used to help the GMs to balance the encounter with the party. but like i said, i do not beleive this race on your reference viable for balance. even for lvl 1 your challenge rating of 1 is ridiculously low imo

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 15th, 2014, 02:27
i think you forgot the challenge rating for such a race. challenge rating is there to be able to use powerfull race but you will level slower and at some point its might be negative. you should be able to get lvl2 with only 1000 xp i that case. i would have to look up on the race template for 3.5

edit : i have browsed a bit about the race because i dont know much about draconian race its not something i would allow myself. and considering the large bonus and additionnal race skill. this required a CR although i didn't found any CR info anywhere on internet in the proposed templates. so my deduction is that the race is broken and probably unbalanced :( sry to say

edit2: i found a challenge rating of 6 for sivak wich seem more likely to apply. this mean to gain a lvl from lvl 1 to 2 you would need to gather 21000 experience point. so it should be 0/21000 on your sheet. as a beginner i greatly recommend you to reconsider the race. imagine. you friend are all lvl7 and you just won you first level. at that point you will struggle to survive. if you want dragon like race absolutly i recommand you to try 4th edition wich contains a base race descendant of the dragons that is more easy to play as a beginner

lvl 1 sivak has a challenge rating of 1
lvl 2 - 1
lvl 3 - 2
lvl 4 - 2
lvl 5 - 3
lvl 6 - 3
lvl 7 - 4
lvl 8 - 4
lvl 9 - 5
lvl 10 - 6

this of course can be modified by the DM since the race is not set in stone. and 4.0 is an absolutely terrible idea and literally too difficult for me to grasp since I have to use cards for literally every attack and that's just dumb. But you can probably change the above to 2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5,6,7 etc. Otherwise you're literally making it impossible to play the race by saying a draconian lvl 1, which is a medium sized creature needs 21k xp to level up once, that's over doing it. I can understand if it was like a hardcore mode... so its like the first guild wars, being a lvl 20 facing lvl 120 monsters.

its a modified version of the Dragonborn race from what I can tell.

Mr. Goat
May 15th, 2014, 02:29
a Warrior lvl 1 is basicly CR 1, i'm curious if a Warrior lvl 1 have any chance against your lvl 1 sivak draconain. i greatly doubt. that why out of the most this is not a viable and balanced source

https://www.ravensrook.com/dnd/draconians.html

This source seems more balance. look on it. CR is 6. that's all there is not Change in CR. If your source has CR i imgine its for Powerfull Enemy your party could encounter a shivak lvl 10 would need a party CR of 6 to even out the odds

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 15th, 2014, 02:44
hmm. Maybe the change in CR applies to the fact that a draconian would multiclass at that level and then take on that CR as long as he remains that racial lvl. So at LVL 10, 2 Sivak and 8 FTR. his CR would be 1. But at like 3 sivak and 7 ftr, he would have a CR of 2. Maybe that's waht he was going for.

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 15th, 2014, 02:47
so by lvl 15, say 10 Sivak and 5 FTR, he would be using CR 6 stats to define his level progress through fighter. He would be a devastating draconian but an unskilled fighter overall. It wouldn't be until lvl 20 where a Sivak Fighter would be truly powerful. Until the Sivak hits 6 though, its just like playing a Dragonborn with a higher CR.

and from what I can see from people playing 3.5e from players and DMs, the CR is normally terribly inaccurate. like dragons being under CRd by tradition and some undead having a CR of like 20 when it should be around 5. and some undead having a CR of 5 when it should be 20. Its entirely up to the DM on how to deal with CR entirely. Throwing an incorporeal monster at a party who doesnt ahve the means to deal with it will instantly change the CR of the monster to an absurd level.

Mr. Goat
May 15th, 2014, 02:57
this is my honest opinion only and the one my fellow roommate, and he is GM also. but let's see what our experienced GM will say tomorrow :)

JohnD
May 15th, 2014, 15:05
Had a look at the attachments.

I've been DMing since 1979/80 so I think that I can safely say that yes, there is a game out there somewhere where this PC will fit in perfectly.

That holds true for practically any character I guess.

From a personal perspective, for how I like to run my campaigns in terms of power levels, PC creation etc... I would say this character is about as powerful at 1st level as most 4th level PCs in my 3.5e campaign, helped by the two 20s and one 18 in the stat block.

But... my style is admittedly low powered compared to the standards outlined in the DMG.

And... finding compatibility between all players and the DM, and the kind of game the DM wants to adjudicate over... well that's the big challenge each and every time regardless of where along the spectrum each person resides.

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 15th, 2014, 15:19
the power table adds more balance by making it so draconians only gain a feat every 1st, 5th, and 10th lvl with the addition of passive racial perks. They gain skill points slower as well, they start off powerful but level up slower overall. I guess its again up to the DM on how to balance the characters though. But its possible for a fighter at lvl 1 to have those stats too. though the secondary 20 in con is probably what sets it apart. I had rolled triple sixes for STR and CON. and the racial bonus gives +2 to both of those stats with a -2 to Wis. I don't get to increase those points until the level passively raises a single stat from what I can see. so it starts off powerful and runs to balance out towards later levels, which makes the player think racial abilities to their advantage over pure strength. Toughness feat didnt help though, otherwise i'd be down to 17 hp, which is a good roll on a fighter. My friend is also a DM, he looked at it and said it was powerful but towards later levels would be a bit harder to play, especially with the size deductions and heavy armor deductions later on. the ability to fly isnt GREAT, its an awkward flight and isnt something that can be done constantly.

and if you roll triple six on a fighter human you would still get 20 str. so it isnt unheard of.

damned
May 15th, 2014, 23:42
@TrueMoonSlumbers - it is a very nice character - but as a couple of GMs have suggested to you - it wouldnt get a start in their games...

Mighty oaks from little acorns grow

Everyone wants you to have fun but a balanced group is important for that. If your GM is playing a high powered game your character will fit in nicely.

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 16th, 2014, 00:14
I know, I'm not arguing for using this character, I was arguing for the legitimacy of it. But if Its balance, I was thinking of making a kobold warrior or theif. That should be interesting and fun.

Mr. Goat
May 16th, 2014, 17:05
Kobold are wonderfull and funny. i once made a kobold party group. we didn't survived long i must say. a group of adventurer hack and slashed us >.>; but for the time we lived that was hilarous

a.Game.of.Thrones
May 16th, 2014, 23:53
Hi if u are still looking for someone to play 3.5 i am still avayable .let me now what time u are planning to play.

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 19th, 2014, 17:50
I'm always looking for new games. Especially just quick little dungeons since my long term time is cut short for a while yet.

PuckStoper35
May 21st, 2014, 08:14
hey if your interested in learning pathfinder (its kind of like 3.5) check out https://steamcommunity.com/groups/Pathfinder_RPG plus it has enough players that if you can find a gm or run a game your self you can find a full party in under an hour and if you don't want to learn pathfinder they have enough 3.5 players you could still find a game whenever you want just make a few posts in the find a game forum and the event sign up forum

TrueMoonSlumbers
May 22nd, 2014, 07:27
Just finished up a kobold rogue. Fun. Pretty much a 1 hit kill but impossible to hit or find.