PDA

View Full Version : The Calendar

Ardem
May 13th, 2014, 03:26
The Calendar,

Now we are hoping to get an influx of new players from steam, I am hoping the admin could spend some time on the calender. The biggest issue is the lack of knowledge if the games are still functioning. Which puts people off searching the calendar, which then put GM off even adding it.

I think a automated email or notification to GM's ever 2-3 months need to be add that they must respond to all there game goes into either "Waiting for confirmation of activity zone, or a deletion phase." This zone would have to be segregated from the active calendar.

This way we can be assured of active games in the listings.

Thoughts?

JohnD
May 13th, 2014, 04:25
I'm sold.

Dakadin
May 13th, 2014, 05:13
What about setting the entries that haven't been updated in 3 months to Not Accepting Players? I believe that makes them not visible to people outside of the game but would still leave it if the GM wants to use it. Send them an email and they can always change it back to accepting players if they want to. If they don't do anything then it will be cleaned up. Just an idea.

Willot
May 13th, 2014, 05:18
Or we could use the steam one. You can make a group and schedule events. Dont know if its any better never used it before. Couldnt be worse though ;)

Ardem
May 13th, 2014, 05:22
What about setting the entries that haven't been updated in 3 months to Not Accepting Players? I believe that makes them not visible to people outside of the game but would still leave it if the GM wants to use it. Send them an email and they can always change it back to accepting players if they want to. If they don't do anything then it will be cleaned up. Just an idea.

After talking Dakadin, this is a great option when you think about it.

Pseduo Code

If Last Activity > 90
......Changed Looking for players to No
......Send notification to GM
endif

If a GM changes the looking for players back to YES, then Last acivity date is updated.

This is a nice an eloquent way of keeping LFG working.

----------------------------

Steam Calendaring is nice for small groups terrible for really large groups and LFG's, its just not made for it

Trenloe
May 13th, 2014, 05:35
Or we could use the steam one. You can make a group and schedule events. Dont know if its any better never used it before. Couldnt be worse though ;)
The problem there is that you now need another account, on another server, run by another company to look for games for Fantasy Grounds. Plus, as I experienced today, you are limited to a number of posts per day until you buy a game on steam.

Even if the calendar on steam is much better, I'd rather see about improving the one on the Fantasy Grounds forums than have to rely on a completely separate, buy something else before you can fully use, site.

damned
May 13th, 2014, 06:19
The problem there is that you now need another account, on another server, run by another company to look for games for Fantasy Grounds. Plus, as I experienced today, you are limited to a number of posts per day until you buy a game on steam.

Even if the calendar on steam is much better, I'd rather see about improving the one on the Fantasy Grounds forums than have to rely on a completely separate, buy something else before you can fully use, site.

hah - I was wondering if there was anyway that the FG-Con Events might work for this... but that is still another login...

Willot
May 13th, 2014, 08:18

Yeah thats true... Best to have one point of contact
DON'T SPLIT THE PARTY! <face palm>
In that case I vote with Dakadin

Griogre
May 14th, 2014, 17:28
Rather than just setting the campaign to not accepting players I think it would be better to just set the campaign to private so its not visible. I think that games with no activity for 3 months should go private and after no activity for a year be auto deleted.

JohnD
May 14th, 2014, 18:31
Anything that clears up the flotsam I am in favour of.

Mr. Goat
May 14th, 2014, 18:50
a way to filter campaign instead of changing the order Like showing only 4e if you seek 4e, etc

Trenloe
May 14th, 2014, 18:56
a way to filter campaign instead just changing the order Like showing only 4e if you seek 4e, etc
A quick way to do this is click on the "Ruleset" heading and it will order the entries in ruleset order - you can then scroll down and see all of the entries specific to one ruleset grouped together.

Mr. Goat
May 14th, 2014, 19:03
Yeah i know ^^ If i can quote myself : " instead of changing the order"

Problems is the people put D&D 3.5e or just 3.5e or just AD&D and put 3.5e in the name. since there's no uniformity even if i do like you said i end up missing some possible games.

Trenloe
May 14th, 2014, 19:11
Yeah i know ^^ If i can quote myself : " instead of changing the order"

Problems is the people put D&D 3.5e or just 3.5e or just AD&D and put 3.5e in the name. since there's no uniformity even if i do like you said i end up missing some possible games.
Point taken. But then it would be hard to filter with so many different ways of entering a specific ruleset. This field, in most instances, needs to be free form as there are many different rulesets out there and more being created each month.

Mr. Goat
May 14th, 2014, 19:16
In that case, a search engine that allow us to enter plain text as research for each field. That way, if I write 4e in the name field, it will seek 4e in name. we can also add and/or option. exemple: i write 4e in name field, and 4e in ruleset field, use the "or" option,the search engine will seek 4e in both field and give me result.

Like in a programs code ( in almost all language) =3

Trenloe
May 14th, 2014, 19:18
in that case a search engine that allow us to enter plain text as research for each field, that way if i write 4e in the name field i will seek 4e in name with a and/or option to say exemple seek 4e in name or 4e in ruleset field, like this we would be able to not miss any 4e in exemple,
CTRL-F and search the calendar web page for "4e"?

I get what you're saying and if Smiteworks are watching perhaps they will listen and implement some of this (prioritise it and work on it when they have time). I'm just letting you know of other ways of doing what you're asking "now". :)

Mr. Goat
May 14th, 2014, 19:22
ok, you got me there. CTRL+F too simple for my mind to Think of it XD

The proposition would still be valable though, it would have for effets to clear those who doesnt fit the result clearing the reading and making it easier.
idk if i can make that idea into the dev list, as its not directly related to the platform itself. this oculd become really necessary, if FG become so popular that we would have too many games in the calendar.

Ardem
May 15th, 2014, 01:28
Turning off looking for players actually does already hide it.

However setting it to private tag, what ever as long as it does not show up in the listings. This is the main point because the calender is not effective, cause you really don't know what are still active games and what is not. Activity is not a good indicator there are games that are active however a GM update to calendar has not happened.

damned
May 15th, 2014, 01:58
I dont think there has been any work on the Calendar in some years :)
Other things have taken priority I think.