PDA

View Full Version : Tokens.

Mr. Goat
May 12th, 2014, 20:28
We are fairly new to the systems and we have encounter a problem with tokens. . as player we cannot choose our token for our characters. and when the GM put tokens on table we do not see them. its that some bug or something the GM might been not doing to allow us to see?

Trenloe
May 12th, 2014, 20:34
Players can select the portrait for their character and this is usually used to create the token too. When you join a game and select your PC, add the portrait (this comes from your local <FG App Data directory>\portraits folder and then drag the portrait from the top right of the desktop to the token space in the top right of your character sheet. Or, if the GM gives you access to shared tokens you can use one of those. See the change portrait and change tokens entries here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Character_Sheet

If you can't see tokens on the map it sounds like the GM has then invisible to the players - the GM can click the "eye" icon next to the entry on the combat tracker, or if the added the tokens manually they can right click on the token and chance the visibility that way. More info on tokens here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens

Mr. Goat
May 12th, 2014, 21:45
Thanks for those info, so its mean we cant see others tokens that are not on the map right?

Trenloe
May 12th, 2014, 21:52
Thanks for those info, so its mean we cant see others tokens that are not on the map right?
If a GM puts some tokens in their "shared" directory, then players have access to them and can add them to the map themselves. See the "shared tokens" heading here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens

Tokens are really only used on images (maps, etc.). If the GM doesn't give players access to shared tokens then the players will only see tokens that are placed on an image by the GM and also made visible.

Mr. Goat
May 12th, 2014, 22:13
This answer everything. no see token if not on map and no token in bag if DM doesnt share it Excellent, thankyou

HoloGnome
May 13th, 2014, 00:00
I would like to know what is required to make the default token modules appear on the player/client side after the GM marks them as Optional or Forced Load in the "Tokens:Modules" awindow. The problem I am seeing is that I can set the tokens as Optional/Force Load in the "Tokens:Modules" window, but the token bags never show up on the player/client side. The only way they show up is if, as above, the GM applies them to a player sheet or map. However, I want the players to see all the tokens in the modules that they can easily select their own, etc.

So, can you explain how to get the optional/forced tokens to load on the client side?

Secondarily, is there any plan to have token module support for the Token folders in the player data directory (like the default ones), or will it only ever be std images like png, jpg, etc. Currently, module files in the token/portrait directories are not recognized by the app. As a hack work-around to module sharing, I tried to directly drag the modules to the token folder. It didn't work, of course.

ps. I started a related thread yesterday which has not yet been unmoderated - please check. Thx.

Trenloe
May 13th, 2014, 00:05
ps. I started a related thread yesterday which has not yet been unmoderated - please check. Thx.
I don't see anything waiting for moderation.

If it was this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20973-Sharing-Built-In-Tokens-with-Players It was approved yesterday and the main FG dev replied yesterday.

damned
May 13th, 2014, 00:10
Welcome @Mr. Goat and @HoloGnome

HoloGnome
May 13th, 2014, 01:30
Thanks for the welcome...and I found the thread via my profile - thanks! Here is its: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20973-Sharing-Built-In-Tokens-with-Players

JohnD
May 13th, 2014, 14:59
Welcome guys... good choice you've made. :)

Mr. Goat
May 13th, 2014, 16:18
i Still have a lots to learn, as simple its maybe to be a virtual tables, a lots of stuff need to be mastered. we simulated a combat for test yesterday with tokens ( just to stay in subject :P ) and its been pretty hardcore, as player can draw anything on map etc. we were trying to make movement and understand the systems. i found out that everyone can "move" even outside his turn, so i must be aware of everything happenning

Trenloe
May 13th, 2014, 16:30
i Still have a lots to learn, as simple its maybe to be a virtual tables, a lots of stuff need to be mastered. we simulated a combat for test yesterday with tokens ( just to stay in subject :P ) and its been pretty hardcore, as player can draw anything on map etc. we were trying to make movement and understand the systems. i found out that everyone can "move" even outside his turn, so i must be aware of everything happenning
As the GM you have control over what happens on the map. Specific to your 2 issues you mention above:

Lock the drawing layers if you don't want players to draw on the map. More info in the "drawings" entry here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images
Lock the token movement so that players can't move their tokens. Their chosen movement will be shown as white lines and you can approve or reject the movement. More info in the "movement" entry here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens

Mr. Goat
May 13th, 2014, 16:34
Ok so the solutions is only to lock everything and confirm the movement. Thanks.

dulux-oz
May 13th, 2014, 16:37
Guys,

Check out my Tutorial Videos (the links in my Sig, and they are also on the Wiki) - they should give you all the info you need. The Combat Tracker specific Video is in production right now and should be up before to long. In the meantime, watch the others and learn how the whole system fits together. :)

Cheers

Mr. Goat
May 13th, 2014, 16:57
that's exactly what i'Ve been doing all morning but those are long and made for people who are not used to computer like i am, as i beleive. so at some point its make me feel numb. I could propose you to make or edit a version who goes faster for those who are more used to computer ^^;

Trenloe
May 13th, 2014, 17:04
Or go through the pages you're interested in from the Wiki User Guides: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/User_Guides

Sorry to keep pointing you to the Wiki - there is a lot of info available there, and it is quicker for me to reference it than to type out the same response 20 times over the years. :)

Please keep asking questions - if I point you to the wiki or another thread please don't take it as an insult. I've been supporting people on these forums for a couple of years now and if the info is available elsewhere it saves me time and energy, rather than giving personal responses to everyone... :)

dulux-oz
May 13th, 2014, 17:06
:)

They're long because there's a lot to master.

They're aimed at a level that will suit the majority of people.

The fact that it takes quite a while to produce each one (especially to the standard that I expect) means that the chances of getting two versions produced are practically none - especially when you add in all of the other creating I've done and am doing for the community.

In all of my years of teaching, mentoring, lecturing, etc, my experience tells me that no matter how "competent" people think they are they never, never know as much as they think they do (and, yes, that goes for me too)!

Yes, I'm an old fart! Yes, I am actually as good as I think I am (don't ask me for my academic or work history and qualifications - it'll only bore you :p ) but trust me on this - if you really want to get the most out of FG (or anything else, for that matter) you'll spend the time it takes to learn how to do things right.

Or, in geek-speek: RTFM :)

Cheers

Mr. Goat
May 13th, 2014, 17:06
i don'T i don'T i understand the princips. i'm a visual person. so sometimes just plain text describing doesnt show me "how" to do it. that's why i started the video tutorials. "skip" to the actual content for me is also kinda have a chance to skip something i could have need. that's why i make every video in order as suggested in the intro video ^^

Exemples : i want to know how to Control battle efficiently, i choose the battle toturial, but if i didnt seen the tokens tutorial i might have really hard time to put tokens on the tables and control them with effiency, ( True story >.>;;;; )

dulux-oz
May 13th, 2014, 17:09
Good lad!

Well, I'm still developing/producing the Videos - the Combat Tracker one is in production right now, and I'll be following up with the corresponding GM-side Videos as well - it just takes a while to get each one "out the door" - sorry! :)

But as Trenloe said, keep asking questions - it's how we all learn :)

Trenloe
May 13th, 2014, 18:20
i'm a visual person. so sometimes just plain text describing doesnt show me "how" to do it.
Run Fantasy Grounds at the same time that you're looking through the user guide entries in the Wiki. When it mentions something in the text, try it in Fantasy Grounds. This allows you to skip to the relevant section you're interested in and try it in the app. OK, it's not completely visual like a video, but it is hands on and it gives you immediate feedback. After all, you're reading text explanations in this forum! :)

Mr. Goat
May 13th, 2014, 18:55
Haha this have been deturned to a "Method of learning conversation" :P then i could say yeah i read on forum! but it's interactive! XD

damned
May 13th, 2014, 22:53
what is your avatar?

Mr. Goat
May 14th, 2014, 00:59
Lol... It's a fire breathing goat coming out of another goat mouth.

HoloGnome
May 14th, 2014, 04:00
The best solution for some of these issues would be for FG2 to implement context-sensitive help. Tool-tips are useful, but help icons that either directly link to wiki content or have embedded help graphics/explanations would be even more useful.

Trenloe
May 14th, 2014, 04:04
The best solution for some of these issues would be for FG2 to implement context-sensitive help. Tool-tips are useful, but help icons that either directly link to wiki content or have embedded help graphics/explanations would be even more useful.
Good idea. Add it to the wish list. :-)

damned
May 14th, 2014, 04:15
Yes - better help, better doco is needed.
Vote it here.
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Moon Wizard
May 14th, 2014, 08:08
I've been toying with the idea of built-in help for windows, but they need to be built and managed for every window in each ruleset. It's quite an undertaking, which is why it is still in concept.

JPG

HoloGnome
May 14th, 2014, 12:43
Without intending hubris, it may not be as bad as you think. FG2 already appears to have the underlying code, it just needs to be extended. For example, there is obviously already an item focus detector for the extensive cursor swapping for rolling or pop-ups. Do the same thing for help, either with a hot key or a global toggle (learning mode), where hovering over any item pops up its context-sensitive help. In addition, from an architectural standpoint, each ruleset should really come with a help module as a matter of course.

And, once the business logic is in place: help toggle/hotkey/mode -> pop-up mechanism by context/id -> help module file -> display content and/or wiki links, you can slowly roll out help content over time for each ruleset with the update mechanism. It's no different from any ruleset module - basicrules, calendars, magicitems, etc. Just add 1 more.

Also, you could even offer incentives for users to submit help content to accelerate completion for those who are avid fans of each ruleset. It doesn't have to be perfect or complete on day 1 - you just have to make the business logic work, and the stubs are already there.

This is where the IDE kobold cheerleaders step in with pom-poms and gymnastic formations to give the FG2 Ruleset Help Module Cheer...GooooOOOoo Moon Wizard! Then, they kind of fall and land on each other and some of them crit themselves, but it's OK, because they're kobolds. ;-)

Moon Wizard
May 14th, 2014, 18:59
It's not the technical issue really, though a help button in each window will require ruleset updates plus a new window type for help material. It's the large volume of inline tutorial material that needs to be written for multiple game systems that is the larger effort.

JPG

HoloGnome
May 14th, 2014, 21:43
Yeah - not too bad on the technical front. Looking at the FG2 Table-Top, there is plenty of room for a help button to enable a "global help" mode where users could activate it and just go around clicking on things to see what they were, at least in the 3.5 ruleset view. For example, it could go next to the gray Options button where there is already a gap...or maybe in the lower right. Also, the banner icons are nice, but they could be slightly smaller to make room for a help icon. Also, embedding text into your icons is going to make the application harder to localize.

On the character sheet, you could easily shorten the name field a little and add it to the far right of the character token in the upper right-hand corner. Plenty of room up there. Just a little minor reformatting.

As for the other mini-windows, there is room next to the close skull for a little help wizard (hopefully with more skin on his bones).

The help content could easily be crowd-sourced by fanatics of each ruleset as long as there is someone internal on point to organize the effort, provide a structure for group input, and generate the final help modules. It might go faster than you think! Hope this is helpful.

damned
May 15th, 2014, 02:05
I would be willing to help with uploading help data for Castles&Crusades ruleset if this gets implemented.

Moon Wizard
May 15th, 2014, 08:08
Oh, don't worry, I'll be asking for help when I get there.

Still trying to get back to finishing up the 3.0.4 beta, then re-prioritizing for the next cycle. Lots of activity this week.

JPG

Mr. Goat
May 15th, 2014, 13:52
Talking about Beta, do we get to test the beta version if we want?

nvm i found all info about the beta stuff ^^;
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20847-Beta-release-v3-0-4

Trenloe
May 15th, 2014, 15:45
Talking about Beta, do we get to test the beta version if we want?

nvm i found all info about the beta stuff ^^;
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20847-Beta-release-v3-0-4
Just as an FYI, when playing a game, in general it is recommended that everyone be on the same version (live, test, dev). You may be lucky and it might work OK, but you also might experience small issues if everyone is not on the same release type when playing.

Mr. Goat
May 15th, 2014, 15:58
Good to know Thanks