PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones Anyone?

Azznerak
May 10th, 2014, 00:34
I am a huge fan of the Song of Ice and Fire series and the Game of Thrones Show. I also obtained a copy of the d20 rule-set for the game. I am planning on purchasing Fantasy Grounds because the basic d20 rule-set could be tweeked to be used for Game of Thrones...only problem is people would have to have a physical copy or pdf of the d20 rule-set since I suck at programming. This is just a idea in my head, I have the campaign already fleshed out but getting people together where I live to play is, at best, laughable. And some people, not most, but some people dislike the Game of Thrones rule-set because it is so brutal to the player. If you have never read over the rule-set be warned, you will not be drinking any health potions anytime soon and magic is damn near "magically" rare. But if you like the grit and hardcore system of playing, like keeping track of rations, ammo, food intake, etc, then you might enjoy the game.

Let me know if anyone would be interested in this. I am a seasoned DM, been playing since the days of Thaco, but I am not looking for a massive group. Max 5 would keep the flow good.

The main book is pictured below.

damned
May 10th, 2014, 02:57
Welcome @Azzernak - its absolutely fine to play using d20 or other ruleset and not have a specific ruleset.
Seeing all the additional activity that has started in the Steam forums make sure you cross post there too.
It can take a little while to grab a group together - dont be discouraged if you dont get an immediate response.

ChiefW4
May 10th, 2014, 04:37
I'm a HUGE, almost truly fanatical fan of GoTs, and don't believe you need magic to make a good game. If you remember, in season 2 when the Night's Watch went out en masse and stopped at that guy's house (Craydor? can't remember his name--sorry), the house of incest, the guy who ran it said something about the quality of the steel in the axe. In fact, you hear a good deal about Valerian steel as well, and that actually mimics world history very well because the quality of steel around the world differed, and meant some cultures had weapons which could easily break the weapons of other cultures. THAT'S how you could/would/should (at least IMO) go about turning out weapons that do more damage or less damage, or, depending upon the system (I'm not at ALL a fan of the modern d20 system, or any system really which depends upon levels, character classes, and experience points. I could stomach the Hero Games system because they really minimized the need for experience points, and of course I'm a HUGE, again, to the point of being a true fanatic, fan of the original RuneQuest out of Chaosium (mainly 2nd ed.) which had no hps, no levels, and no experience points. It was also one of the only games I've ever seen where you could NEVER have "enough" money because you could buy training, and the really great stuff cost LOTS of Lunars (silver pieces--the standard unit of trade), even LOTS of Wheels (Gold pieces, worth 20x a silver piece or "Lunar"), and the better you were at something, the more it cost you to train it up. I'd love to play in the game of thrones world, but with a system that didn't include levels and character classes (because, seriously, what level are YOU IRL? What character class are YOU? How many experience points do YOU have? None of those three things (level, XP, character classes) are realistic, and, IMO, they subtract from the system rather than adding to it.

Daredevils by FGU is another game which, IIRC, didn't have character classes, levels or exp. pts. These games base themselves on having to USE a skill or STUDY a skill in order to improve it (in many cases you could do both), and that makes sense to me. I haven't bought FG yet because, quite frankly, I'd like to know how malleable the game system is, and how hard it would be to input the necessary information to run the system before I do, but if nothing else, I'd certainly be interested in playing a game in a GoTs setting.