PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Module issue - Modules not showing up in Library FG.

Rama
May 9th, 2014, 09:53
Evening all,

I'll try to make this concise. I am a new FG GM, but have used FG for many years as a player. Forgive me if my terminology is not quite correct.

I am using a mac to host/run the game and crossover to run the FG prog. FG Version is v3.03 Ultimate

The game runs well, I can do all i need to do to present the content i am using. With one exception. Modules in the Library.

My problem is this: I have most if not all of the Pathfinder modules for use in FG. Have them placed in the modules folder, they show up in both the crossover 'windows explorer' FG>app data> modules window and the apple finder FG>app data> modules window.
When I boot FG, and go to the library to activate the modules for the players they do not all appear, only a few do. And only a very few at that.

Prior to upgrading to FGIII, I have hosted a game using FGII and the modules were all resident in the 'in game' library for the players to use.

I have deleted all the mods and re-pasted them from my back up files, rebooted FG but still no joy.
I have even tried deleting all modules from the FG>app data>modules folder and then booting FG to see if the 'in game' library emptied, but the 'in game' library still had the same modules it had when the modules data folder was full.

Do the modules listed here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16074-List-of-Modules work with FGIII?

I can provide a list of the ever present modules if required.

I am missing something, I know it. But, as a new GM and having to trouble shoot this I am at a loss.

Any advice appreciated.

RAMA

damned
May 9th, 2014, 12:20
Hey @Rama - I think there was a similar post within the last 3 or 4 weeks but I cant find it. Unfortunately not a Mac user so cant test for you.
Welcome aboard - hopefully this will get resolved for you shortly and you can get back to some serious gaming :)

Trenloe
May 9th, 2014, 13:20
Do the modules listed here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16074-List-of-Modules work with FGIII?
Yes, they do work with PFRPG games.

I can provide a list of the ever present modules if required.
Please provide the list of modules you see in the campaign.

A couple of stupid questions (sorry I need to ask just to cover all bases):

The files you are copying to the \modules directory are .mod files? That is, you've unzipped the files first?
You're running a PFRPG campaign?

Rama
May 9th, 2014, 20:22
Yes, they do work with PFRPG games.

Please provide the list of modules you see in the campaign.

A couple of stupid questions (sorry I need to ask just to cover all bases):

The files you are copying to the \modules directory are .mod files? That is, you've unzipped the files first?
You're running a PFRPG campaign?

Thanks for the replies.

Trenloe,

1. Yes all the files are .mod files. Unzipped, used them previously prior to FGIII update and also used by two other GMs in our group, 1 using Crossover, same issue, one not (PC used to host) no issue.
2. And, yes, I am running a PFRPG game.

List of modules I can see in the campaign, these are lockable/unlockable by me as GM and usable by my players, so following list does work, this is also the list that appears if I empty my modules folder as I mentioned eariler, when I did a quick test:
Beastiary2
PFRPG Basic Rules
PFRPG Beastiary
PFRGP Beastiary 3
PFRPG GameMastery Guide NP
PFRPG Magic Items
PFRPG Spells
PFSRDCompletePaizoSpells
Summon Nature's Ally 1
Summon Natures Ally II
Summonable Monsters 1
Summonable Monsters II
**Well MEt in Kith'takharos
**3.5E Basic Rules
**3.5E Calanders
**3.5E magic Items
**3.5E Monsters
**3.5E Spells
**Backgammon, Chess and Draughts

** = not used by me or players during a game, but are resident in the modules folder in game

List of modules that don't show up in the campaign, even if resident in the modules folder prior to booting FG:
UOPAdvanced FeatsV1
UOPEquipmentV1
UOP FeatsV1
UOP BeastiaryV1
Traits
Pathfinder Spells APG V2
Pathfinder Spells V2
Pathfinder Rules
fumblecrit
Amimals
AnimalPogs
MonsterPogs
PFRPG Complete Paizo MAgic Items
Drawbacks

So about half of the modules dont show up in FG, not 'only a very few' as I first mentioned. But these are the ones that the players really really dig and use a lot. Especially the feats, traits, equipment, adv feats, Spells APG.

Thanks for your help. :)

Trenloe
May 9th, 2014, 22:21
Tokens are now activated in the tokens folder, not the module activation screen.

The others, I'm not too sure. It might be something to do with running on the MAC. Perhaps try removing one of the modules you do see (move it to another directory) then restart FG and see if the module is still there. This test will see if you're looking at the correct directory.

Rama
May 10th, 2014, 05:23
Ok, I have confirmed the folder that FG is looking to for its in game reference modules. Emptied the folder, booted FG, nothing in the library or Modules windows in game, folder confimred. I then have replaced the full set of modules I want to use (not the token modules though) ;) re-booted FG and same issue. Only some of the modules are available. Although it looks like there are a few more available now in game but still missing the ones the players need / want.

The problem seems to be with the following modules:

Calenders (not important to my players or I)
Drawbacks (also not important)
Pathfinder Spells APG (important)
Traits (important)
UOPAdvanced feats (important)
UOPEquipment (important)
UOP Feats (important)

there are some other modules that have not populated the 'module' window in game, even though they are shown in the correct folder in Finder / Crossover (not worried about them as I don't need them) but the ones above are the ones I would really like to have working again. The players have previously dragged the info from these modules to their character sheets and being able to just launch the feat or equipment info from the character sheet as they need it is a massive plus. Really want that function to return, works with modules I can see in game but not with the ones that do not show up.

Could it be a FGIII compatibility issue?

Again,

Thanks

Trenloe
May 10th, 2014, 05:40
Change one of the problem modules extension from .mod to .zip and open it up. Then open definition.xml in a text editor. If the <ruleset> tag says something other than 3.5E or PFRPG then that will be your problem. Some of the modules you list above I think are for the d20_JPG ruleset.

You can manually change the ruleset tag in extension.xml to 3.5E (capital E) and re-package the module: save the modified definition.xml and zip the files you originally unzipped back up (zip from within the directory - select all of the files: definition.xml, client.xml, common,xml, thumbnail.png, etc.). Then rename the .zip file back to .mod.

Rama
May 10th, 2014, 06:39
ok, will give that a crack and see how it goes.

Cheers Trenloe.

Rama
June 4th, 2014, 08:43
Trenloe,

Just now had a chance to try your instructions. Nearly a month later. Well well, very nice tip mate. I have followed your instructions posted above, edited the definition.xml from D20_RPG to 3.5E > saved > re-zipped > re-named to .mod > placed back into modules folder > booted FG > opened the library > modules... and what do you know... my test module was resident. Tried opening it up and yep, all seems ok.

Have not had the time to do a thorough run through the edited module from within FG, or tried it on some of the other problem modules yet. But thought I'd had better give you a quick heads up and thanks so far. I'll post the final results when I finish.

Again, thank-you very much so far so good. (hope I have not spoken too soon) ;)

Rama
June 4th, 2014, 10:52
Trenloe,

Have just edited all the problem modules. Dropped them back into the right spot in the app data folder and they all populate in FG. I have a player logging on later to do some character work and they will do a player side test from within FG.

From my side of the prog it looks good. Just need player confirmation.

Cheers mate, if this works, and I am fairly sure it will, you will have made a bunch old-old skool Aussie gamers very happy. And, taken a bunch of needless page flipping out of our game. +10 to that! Thanks.

RAMA

Callum
June 4th, 2014, 11:33
Note that you can get the player's view by starting a second instance of FG and joining your first one using "localhost".

Trenloe
June 4th, 2014, 16:39
Note that you can get the player's view by starting a second instance of FG and joining your first one using "localhost".
This is a good tip in general. However, in terms of doing complete module end-to-end testing it is best to have a player on another PC try it as that will test out the downloading and caching of the module files. Running a second instance locally will not download/cache the modules as they are already there on the same PC.

Trenloe
June 4th, 2014, 16:39
Cheers mate, if this works, and I am fairly sure it will, you will have made a bunch old-old skool Aussie gamers very happy. And, taken a bunch of needless page flipping out of our game. +10 to that! Thanks.
No worries at all. Glad you got it working. :)

Rama
June 4th, 2014, 19:52

Thanks Callum,

i'll be using that tip indeed.