PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun 2072 5th edition - Looking for players

graz
May 6th, 2014, 02:50
Greetings!

I am currently developing a framework for a Shadowrun campaign and I'm looking for players.

Firstly...the campaign:

The framework I'm developing will be based around a "living city" concept in Seattle (to start). Mega Corporations will strive towards their goals employing Mr. Johnson in every aspect. Intrigue is five and six levels deep and nothing is ever as it seems. Street Gangs hold the shanty towns outside of the city heart and somewhere between all of that exists the characters.

I'm looking for characters with well developed contacts and history BUT....I'd like to work that out with the players and, ultimately, I'd like to write those histories myself. The short script is that I'd like input from players on the "type" of characters they'd like to run. The "government project", the "inside adept", the "face that hates people"....whatever....I'd like to hear your elevator speech and work with you to develop a persona that goes beyond stereotypes and begins as something the player enjoys playing and is excited to develop.

The narrative will start mid-story for some players and others will be intertwined.

Secondly...about Me: I've been acting for...a long time. I understand character, plot, development and dialog. I love role playing (although I haven't done it in a while - thanks Fantasy Grounds for bringing me back) because I initially approached it as an acting exercise. Your plot will be intricate, the NPCs will be developed, the level with which you affect your world will be realistic and your effects will reverberate. I've been called a "tough" GM but it's only when my players see themselves as paragons of the world. Instead, observe the world, understand the power structure, plan your ops and you will succeed and grow your persona. You should also know that I haven't run a game in a long while. But I plan to get the rust out with a playtester I have access to and I ran a legendary game of Vampire for about 4 years. I'm not a "rules secretary" although I will understand the rules but I am very much a GM that they describe in the sidebars where it comes to "rolling with the story".

Thirdly...the realistic time frame to begin throwing bullets down range: We're looking at 4 weeks. In that time I will have my details worked through, important NPCs built and the characters worked out with my players (including some one-on-one or small- group-on-one backgrounds run). I'm taking a realistic time to develop your characters and the characters you will encounter. Also, I'll be getting more familiar with the system with my playtester who will become an instrumental asset to the group.

Fourthly....the schedule: We're looking at a regular group time and an alternate Decker/TechnoMancer session. The regular group time will either be Friday nights starting at 7 CST OR Saturday afternoon starting at 2PM CST (depending on the European interest). The regular group time will be scheduled every other week. In the intervening weeks I will run "Decker/Techno time" which will cover the runs that will be handled by a series of rolls during the normal play session. Deckers and Technos will definitely have their time during my campaign and will have their own opportunity to earn their karma. If there's no matrix run in the intervening week, I may run (at players request) back story adventure to further develop their characters (with commensurate karma).

Fifthly....the technicals: I will get a teamspeak server (or something similar) to host voice. Voice, for me (as an actor), is extremely important. I will also look into Google....because voice coupled with video = awesome. Since there isn't a Shadowrun 5e ruleset for Fantasy Ground we will, most likely, be maintaining copies of character sheets - you and me. We will use Fantasy Grounds for the powerful capabilities of the application: mapping, chatting, dice, whispering. I am also a big fan of producing multimedia content and have a bevy of voice and physical actors to draw from. You won't be bored. I am looking into how to create a real Shadowrun 5e ruleset within the application but I'd rather we get into a game and start playing. If I had to learn the markup language we'd be looking at 4 months instead of 1.

Sixthly....is that a word?....who am I looking for?: I expect you to understand roleplaying. I expect some understanding and belief in your character. I don't, necessarily, expect a complete understanding of Shadowrun but....use google....google is your friend. You should come in with a base understanding of SOMETHING Cyberpunk (the idea...not the game)....

So there we are. Let's get excited. I'm excited. I think we can make a brilliant story and characters you'll grow to understand and be excited to develop.

TheShroud
May 6th, 2014, 17:30
I am definitely interested but my availability would most likely be the Friday nights. SO it all depends on who all is interested.

Just let me know

graz
May 6th, 2014, 18:13
That's great! I'm partial to Friday nights as well. Let's see what sort of reaction comes through.

MMOaddicted
May 6th, 2014, 22:13
Oh dear oh dear. Tell me the time and i'll clear my schedule for you, It's been a while since I last played shadowrun. PM me for detailed info 'bout my gaming experience if you want it. I'm european gmt +2 atm. I'm currently involved in an rpg on Saturdays but It may not clash too badly if my math is alright and if it does I might just drop that one. I have an rpg on sundays which i won't drop but it also wouldn't clash and i'll be organizing another one with a gm friend of mine but i'll organize it so i can still play this. Would it be alright for me to message a couple of friends and see if they're interested?

MMOaddicted
May 6th, 2014, 22:16
Oh a quick addition Fridays your time would be doable for me even with me being in europe, I have late nights typing spreadsheets fridays anyway and i would be happy to lend you my TS server ( i know blatant bribery but what can i say I crave a good run ;))

MMOaddicted
May 6th, 2014, 22:18
Oh and have you considered using the ruleset for 4th edition It's been a long time and last i used shadowrun was 3rd edition XD but I have bought and compared rulesets for both and with a bit of tweaking and house rules we should be able to make do for now with the 4e ruleset

graz
May 6th, 2014, 23:16
Oh a quick addition Fridays your time would be doable for me even with me being in europe, I have late nights typing spreadsheets fridays anyway and i would be happy to lend you my TS server ( i know blatant bribery but what can i say I crave a good run ;))

I think your enthusiasm is great but Friday nights for you would begin at 2AM your time. You'd be good with that?

MMOaddicted
May 6th, 2014, 23:36
Yes I am aware of that, math was and still is one of my stronger points. And yes I would be good with that. as i said before I usually deal with my spreadsheets these nights I happen to finish that around 1:30 and I have problems falling asleep due to the amount of energy drinks I have to keep going while compiling the aforementioned spreadsheets it's monotonous and soul-sucking work so some nice rp to offset it would be nice, and then 8 hours of sleep since i have Saturdays free.

graz
May 7th, 2014, 20:52
Oh and have you considered using the ruleset for 4th edition It's been a long time and last i used shadowrun was 3rd edition XD but I have bought and compared rulesets for both and with a bit of tweaking and house rules we should be able to make do for now with the 4e ruleset

What do you like about the 4e edition that is different than the 5e? Personally, I think success limits and character generation in the 5th is brilliant. If you're rolling to pick up a cat and roll a million successes it shouldn't mean that you can bounce the cat off one of the orbiting space stations....

I have both editions are you asking because that's the one you own? Give me your sales speech.

Tymire
May 7th, 2014, 21:04
Imo 3rd ed was just too unbalanced towards the magic side at least compared to 4th, that and troll bows...... lol

MMOaddicted
May 7th, 2014, 21:04
Actually you misunderstood me and i worded it a bit strangely. it was 00:36: for me XD. I have books for both 4e and 5e I too like 5e better what I meant was since we don't have a ruleset for fg for 5e yet we should be able to emulate one using the 4e one and some house rules as there is a free 4e ruleset for FG.

TheShroud
May 7th, 2014, 21:15
Personally I am fine with whatever we do (that 's if I get to play), but I do not have 5th edition rules, so I'd need to get a copy.

graz
May 8th, 2014, 01:03
Actually you misunderstood me and i worded it a bit strangely. it was 00:36: for me XD. I have books for both 4e and 5e I too like 5e better what I meant was since we don't have a ruleset for fg for 5e yet we should be able to emulate one using the 4e one and some house rules as there is a free 4e ruleset for FG.

Ah! I see. I was looking at the 4e ruleset today thinking the same thing. I'll be able to make that determination after this weekend.

graz
May 8th, 2014, 01:18
There are some neat resources on this page. I haven't played with the character generator yet but it looks fun...https://www.reddit.com/r/Shadowrun/comments/1pw6zy/5e_shadowrun_cheat_sheets/

MMOaddicted
May 8th, 2014, 12:46
The character generator there is great for organising your character. It even includes making weapon foci, imo a great help, especially when you're undecided which priority to select. Thx for giving us access to it.

Withey
May 9th, 2014, 02:00
I love tabletop RPG. My experience lies solely in D&D 2-3.5E, but I haven't been able to play for quite some time (time constraints and not having a dedicated group). I have recently become very interested in Shadowrun and have been doing a ton of reading. I would love to participate in this, sign me up!

graz
May 9th, 2014, 03:12
Sweet! Look like Friday nights. I'm hoping for at least one more and then we'll start the character process. Thanks Withey!

MMOaddicted
May 9th, 2014, 09:53
Oh we'll start the character process by the we I assume that by some miracle I'm included (or you like to use the royal we when gming) I have a character concept and a rough draft ready for an elf magician (full time not aspected) I know that there might be character creation restrictions, augments etc. established by the gm but out of nostalgia I decided to stat out and adapt one of my first shadowrun characters. If it wouldn't be a problem I would like to play him or something like him, I've changed the original quite a bit in my drafting but if you want a rough estimation PM me and i'll send you a brief overview. Sorry it's just been so much time since I've last payed shadowrun.... the nostalgia is strong enough for me to be distracted so I took care of it by drafting.

graz
May 9th, 2014, 18:20
You're totally included MMO..your concept is totally fine. I will be more involved with helping set up character backgrounds and histories to tie in current and future plot hooks.

I haven't played Shadowrun in a while either (one of my favorite characters ever was my Burned out Mage).

As we get closer to launch we'll get into character stuff.

MMOaddicted
May 9th, 2014, 19:10
Kk thx, had to make sure. As i've already completed a rough draft of my character I'll send it to you. It's just a general concept, I have only once before created a character with the gm and it was a sweet campaign hope it'll be the same this time.

graz
May 9th, 2014, 20:59
I was very spoiled as an early role player (and actor, actually). My first GM would always create characters for the party from a history standpoint (and my early acting gigs - the theater would write my bio for me...they were probably a lot better than the one I use now where I saw I played the Wardrobe in "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe"). I don't know if it's "cool" or whatnot here but my email for my players will be [email protected] feel free to send me something there or PM me here. Either way - I'm not sure what's "cool" in Fantasy Grounds eyes.

TheShroud
May 9th, 2014, 21:03
I was also hoping to play a combat mage (not an adept) but if that is going to be a problem I can figure something else out. I know I wanted him to be either human or troll (probably human) and have him with implants, and well versed in guns and maybe a melee weapon. Before I go into deeper character concept. let me know if this is ok or if I need to build something different.

MMOaddicted
May 9th, 2014, 21:27
Sent The shroud a couple of pms with ideas how we can both get to play mages without covering the same bases twice. Sorry if that makes you feeling out of the loop boss but i didn't want to trash up the forum XD. The basic idea is that he makes the combat heavy, perhaps aspected or not (as he wishes) mage and I make a face/utility mage hybrid with two or three combat spells just so he isn't useless.

graz
May 9th, 2014, 22:02
Actually...I've got a pretty good hook about mages so I'm interested to see what you guys work out but I wouldn't worry too heavily about being mage heavy.

Thomas Marik
May 10th, 2014, 01:36
I would be interested in joining you if you are still looking for people. Friday nights are fine for me. I've never played Shadowrun 4e or 5e but I played a lot of 2e and 3e years ago. I lvoe the setting there just isn't anyone around to play TT in my area.

As for a character. I am interested in playing a rigger. I want him to be a guy who isn't just about drones or even a souped up car. He just likes gadgets weather they are useful or not in the context of a shadowrun. likes fiddling with all kinds of gadgets and mechanical devices. I'm thinking kind of a gritty version of Scotty from Star Trek. Cheerful and friendly with his friends but gruff and formal with everyone else.

damned
May 10th, 2014, 02:54
Welcome @Thomas Marik :)

Gorhaf
May 10th, 2014, 05:15
I would love to play the face i can have a character created this weekend. I do have to admit that this would be my first time using fantasy ground to play. I have been playing shadowrun since first ed in 89 it was my first rpg ever. I love to roleplay so let me know. I could also play a street sam if that would work better.

ariksan
May 10th, 2014, 07:08
is there another place for a runner in here?...ive done runs in the army was fun but not dangerous enough so if you have
a run for a crazy fun loving runner i am in....

graz
May 11th, 2014, 13:48

Gorhaf
May 11th, 2014, 16:18
Has any decision been made as far as 4th/5th ed i hate to waste a bunch of time making a char that isn't viable.

graz
May 11th, 2014, 17:20
Definitely 5th edition. I know the Fantasy Grounds Shadowrun ruleset is 4e and I'll be working through that this week to see how we'll have to adjust to bring in 5e systems.

Shroud - I received your background - thank you! Give me a bit to work through it. I have some preliminary ideas for you to think about to flesh things out in some areas and other ideas for story hooks from my end. I'll give you feedback either later today or tomorrow but I like your start.

graz
May 11th, 2014, 17:21
I would love to play the face i can have a character created this weekend. I do have to admit that this would be my first time using fantasy ground to play. I have been playing shadowrun since first ed in 89 it was my first rpg ever. I love to roleplay so let me know. I could also play a street sam if that would work better.

I'd love to see your Face idea. Shoot it out to me at [email protected]

Thomas Marik
May 11th, 2014, 22:04

Hello.

Thomas Marik
May 11th, 2014, 22:06

Hello. Certainly looks like there are a lot of Pathfinder games on this site... Hopefully games in more modern or futuristic settings pop up with some regularity.

slashe7
May 13th, 2014, 02:12
Is there anymore room for another lover of magic filled cyber-punk?

deathwish47
May 13th, 2014, 20:27
Any room?

icd70
May 13th, 2014, 23:31
I'd love to play also! So you new I'm new to FG and Shadowrun but I can read the players hand book over the next week or so :)

slashe7
May 15th, 2014, 05:25
Any room?

Any more spaces left for another player

graz
May 29th, 2014, 13:32
Sorry I've been MIA - I had to help move an old friend over the last several weeks and she's a bit of a hoarder. Give me a couple of days to get back up to speed and I'll shoot some details out soon.

Gorhaf
May 30th, 2014, 19:51
No worries, just glad to see you back again.

MMOaddicted
May 30th, 2014, 19:55
Same here.

graz
May 30th, 2014, 20:04
Grand plot outline will be done by Sunday. At that point I'll be able to suggest additional character types you may need - whether or not we have people to play them. I am working on lining up a couple assistants to help play through NPC's and group-attached archetypes.

If you have submitted a character to me - rock on. Plan on playing it. I will be sending out input and ideas at the beginning of next week. I have some media to produce and I'm looking at June 13 (Friday the 13th...dun dun DUNNN!) for launch.

Those wanting to play Deckers or Technomancers or Face's please ping me at [email protected]

graz
June 13th, 2014, 13:43
Apologies guys - I need another week. We had a family emergency that took me out of the state and I haven't been able to get caught up in real life yet.

deathwish47
June 13th, 2014, 17:36
Take your time. I wish your family the best.

Taonna
June 17th, 2014, 16:32
If you have an open slot, I've been wanting to play a Shadowrun game since I first saw the book

graz
June 19th, 2014, 15:36
OK...thanks for your patience. We are go for tomorrow night at 7 CST. I will pass along connectivity details when I finish my network config (later today).

graz
June 19th, 2014, 15:37
Absolutely - keep an eye on this board. I'll be passing along details shortly but first session is tomorrow night 7PM CST.

deathwish47
June 20th, 2014, 00:24
Will do.

Ahoggya
June 20th, 2014, 19:28
I would be very interesting. I ran a Shadowrun campaign before but used the Runequest system. I have played shadowrun in 3E. I've also read most of the books that were written. Friday is great.

graz
June 20th, 2014, 22:31
I hate to do this to everyone at the last minute but one of our clients has had a major outage and I'm being called in. I've also just noticed the Private Messages people have been sending me (I never once glanced at my login name until moments ago) and I haven't responded. Apologies for that - I will start responding.

My next availability is one week from tonight (June 27) for launch but in the intervening time I'd like to get the characters built and set so that when we start - we can do intros and get rolling.

Again, I am very sorry about tonight but that's the nature of my career sometimes.

Ahoggya
June 20th, 2014, 22:34
I would be very interesting. I ran a Shadowrun campaign before but used the Runequest system. I have played shadowrun in 3E. I've also read most of the books that were written. Friday is great.

I forgot to mention that I am familiar with FG and have an Ultimate license.

Quantummystic
June 21st, 2014, 23:13
I'm open for Fridays starting after 6pm. I'm UTC: -6. It's been awhile since I've played but Shadowrun was always a favorite from the 1st edition on. Let me know.

graz
June 26th, 2014, 14:32
I appreciate all the interest but I need to put the game onto indeterminate hold. I seem to be on the bottom of the Shakespearean Wheel and real life keeps body checking me in the face.

I will keep developing in the background and when I get through this current "interesting" (interesting in the Chinese curse way) part of my life I'll be back. I've wanted to use this product for a long time and I've wanted to get back into RP for longer.

Apologies for not being able to pull the trigger on this right now but first things first. I'll be back...

MMOaddicted
June 26th, 2014, 21:16
Indeed I'll be around, see you in the shadows.

Shadou
June 30th, 2014, 02:43
What do you like about the 4e edition that is different than the 5e? Personally, I think success limits and character generation in the 5th is brilliant. If you're rolling to pick up a cat and roll a million successes it shouldn't mean that you can bounce the cat off one of the orbiting space stations....

I'd like to point out that this kind of thing is subject to DM judgement. I don't think SR needs any success limitation, a good DM can handle any kind of number of successes and come up with a realistic result.

I'd love to join, but my work schedule doesn't allow me to be online at the scheduled time. :/