PDA

View Full Version : 5E Manager Characters Issue

DAWPage
May 4th, 2014, 20:02
I created a module for character info using the PAR5E app. The mod works fine when in the campaign, but when I try to Manage Characters, I don't see the module to activate or use it.

Thanks,

Dave.

Moon Wizard
May 6th, 2014, 23:29
Only modules which are player visible by default are available in Manage Characters mode. A module can actually be built internally to specify whether it is a GM module (hidden from players by default) (db.xml) or a player module (common.xml or client.xml). This feature can be overridden by the GM, but only while connected to a GM campaign.

You can open the module by renaming to end in .zip, renaming the internal file from db.xml to common.xml, and renaming the module back to the original name.

There might be an option in Par5E as well. If not, ask for it. ;)

Regards,
JPG

DAWPage
May 8th, 2014, 11:40
Great, thanks!

Zeus
May 15th, 2014, 20:34
I originally included an option for specifying client.xml/db.xml or common.xml for output from PAR5E however I thought FG v3 did away with module types and assumed all modules were now accessible by GM and Players. Guess I got that wrong.

Moon Wizard
May 15th, 2014, 21:05
FG3 uses the db vs client/common to set the default viewership, which can be overridden by GM. Side effect is GM modules (db.xml) are not viewable in local mode.

Otherwise, GMs would constantly have to disallow their GM modules in every campaign, or they would all show up in player module list.

It was either that or add a GM flag in definition.xml; and this approach had better backward compatibility.

Cheers,
JPG

Zeus
May 15th, 2014, 21:46
Hmm, I guess I'll have to re-introduce the option to change between db, client and common then for continued flexibility. Cheers for the update.