PDA

View Full Version : Disconnection problems

mafh
May 4th, 2014, 03:46
Hi,

I had loads of technical problems with tonight's game. Players kept getting errors and getting kicked off, random disconnections, etc.

I have the latest version of Fantasy Grounds, running on an ultimate license. My players are all running the free version. One of my players is on the same router as I, and everyone else is connecting via the internet (one DSL, one satellite, two cable modem). I have two remotely-connected players sharing a computer but playing two separate characters. This is our 15th game since we started in September, and probably the 5th or 6th since we all patched to the new version. One of my players still hasn't managed to patch to the new version (even though we keep urging her to), but she seems to connect fine running the previous version, though I get a warning. We are using the Savage Worlds Deluxe ruleset. This session was the first time we've had problems.

First, the player at my house on the same router couldn't connect to my computer. He couldn't even ping it. Everyone else connected successfully. Finally, in desperation, we rebooted my computer and the router, and then everyone had to reconnect to the game. That fixed the local connection problem.

But then, probably every ten minutes, some player or other would drop off, and when they returned, they would report that fantasy grounds crashed and they had to rerun the program and reconnect. Every one of my players except the local player crashed out at least once, and one did so three or four times. The local player never had a problem. They all dropped off at different times, so I don't think it could have been a connection problem on my end. Any ideas?

damned
May 4th, 2014, 06:10
There are a bunch of possibilities here:

1. All users should always be running the same version. There are some versions that are compatible with each other but in general the *only* recommended setup is for all users to be on the latest version.
2. Local players should connect to your computer IP address - not to the Alias or Public (Router) IP Address
3. If only the local player stayed connected it most likely is/was the router or the internet connection. Local player should be connecting direct to you via ethernet or wifi and not actually going across the internet link or through the router (even though you both might be wired to the router you are only going through the switch and not being routed).
4. What SW ruleset are you using? What extensions are you using? You may need to experiment unloading extensions if it continues next session - or preferably try and get one of your players to do a test with you before the next session...

damned
May 4th, 2014, 06:12
BTW - there are LOTS of Savage Worlds sessions with room for additional players at FG Con 4 this weekend. Maybe you miht like to take a break from GMing or try a different tyle of game :)
https://www.fg-con.com/events