PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to find Ongoing Group for Pathfinder

MeganHunter
April 29th, 2014, 03:34
Hi there, my name is Megan. I'm a long time Fantasy Grounds user (since 2007 I think?) though I've just gotten into Pathfinder over the last couple weeks. I'd never really looked into it before. I joined their official forums, but they only seem to have a market for play-by-post groups. I haven't seen nearly enough real-time, FG love!

I've gotten just too burned lately in having to read the lore for a thousand homebrews, only to have those games fall apart before they start, with all my "required" homework for not. To that end I'd like to stick with the official Golarion stuff for now, 1) because I still don't know anything about this world! and 2) so if a game doesn't pan out I won't lose the character.

I am hoping to find or start a group that wants to play the Pathfinder Golarion scenarios. It could either be for the official Pathfinder Society season 5 / 6 stuff, or just going through the modules and adventure paths from previous years for fun. I could meet often through our favorite virtual table top, I don't mind what we use for voice, and if people happened to live around Los Angeles I wouldn't mind playing in person some of the time as well. Though I'm mostly looking for a Fantasy Grounds game friendly with the Pacific time zone (-8). I could do a weekly or bi-weekly weekend thing, or possibly shorter sessions on some weeknight schedule. Whatever we come up with, I would like to play at least once every two weeks.

As for DMing, I've been doing it so much the last few years that I'm getting pretty burned out on it. My friends were never willing to share in that responsibility. I don't mind changing off DMing duties (each tackling different adventure paths or the like) as long as there are at least 2 others also playing the ref. I'm hopeful that after a recharge I will stop hating the DM job and start liking it again. But I've gone too long without being a player.

I personally favor roleplaying far far more than power gaming. I don't tend to play the sorts of games where the math and visuals would be better handed by a computer game; I like the shared storytelling and open sandbox nature of pen-and-paper, or otherwise I'd just go play Diablo or something haha.

Very nice to meet you. If you're interested in this, please add yourself to this thread. We'll figure out if everyone is a good match and looking for the same sort of schedule and experience. I'm taking a guess that we would need 3 - 5 players total + 1 DM, though that's one of the Very Important Things to discuss! :) Or if you already have such a group and are looking for a new player, please feel free to bug me.

~Megan

MeganHunter
April 29th, 2014, 03:50
Oh and PS, I just got an email about the FG Con and it sounds neat! I will try to do some Pathfinder...ing there. :D Though I'm mostly hoping to find a strong recurring group for the long term.

damned
April 29th, 2014, 04:05
Hey MeganHunter - do a PFS session or two at FG Con (https://www.fg-con.com/events) and make sure to let the people you play with know you are interested in getting involved in a campaign as some of them will also be involved in campaigns too. Cons are always good places to find new players and groups.
I have some recolllection of a nice skin you did some while back...?

damned
April 29th, 2014, 04:09
I think this was the post unfortunately the linked data seems to have *moved on*...
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?14432-What-s-the-simplest-rule-system-out-there&p=107179#post107179

MeganHunter
April 29th, 2014, 04:25
Ah yes, good memory! I worked so hard on those lol. Here is a quick screenshot from my FG:

(Edit: I should mention again that while I'm an artist, I did not make these faeries! This was just something I collaged for a homebrew, muppet-like game I was running for old high school friends.)

I just registered for the Con and am starting to sign up for games. Hopefully it will lead to a good connection.

JohnD
April 29th, 2014, 04:38
Hi Meg... hope you find what you're looking for.

damned
April 29th, 2014, 04:42
I reckon @Michael Hopcroft would like this character sheet :)

Gwaihir Scout
April 29th, 2014, 14:24
Hi Megan, I suggest playing The Confirmation as your first PFS scenario—it's designed as an introduction and can be replayed with each new character you make. There's only one spot open for it at FG Con right now, but I'm going to see that we get another session of it running.

Here's a link to information about how to prepare a character. (https://www.fg-con.com/information/pathfinder-society-organized-play/) I'll have pregenerated characters available too.

MeganHunter
April 29th, 2014, 17:28
Oh thank you for the tip! When I caught the description I thought it sounded neat and tried signing up for this version (https://www.fg-con.com/events/pfs-5-08-the-confirmation/) last night. I'm pending but there's some room left so I'm hoping it will be okay? Please don't feel you need to add to the schedule on my account! :O My timing's just a bit off, and I find myself a little late to this shindig lol

Trenloe
April 29th, 2014, 17:59
Oh thank you for the tip! When I caught the description I thought it sounded neat and tried signing up for this version (https://www.fg-con.com/events/pfs-5-08-the-confirmation/) last night. I'm pending but there's some room left so I'm hoping it will be okay? Please don't feel you need to add to the schedule on my account! :O My timing's just a bit off, and I find myself a little late to this shindig lol
Pending should mean you'll get accepted the next time the GM checks the system to approve bookings - so I'd say you'll be in! FG Con PFS GMs will start contacting players over the next few days (if they haven't done so already) regarding getting ready for their games at the convention - they'll be emailing you using the email address on the FG con website.

Hope you enjoy your game/s! :)

untamo
April 29th, 2014, 20:43
Hi Megan,

I'm interested and willing to GM. I have had a hankering to get back into some Pathfinder, so keep me posted!

Kieron

damned
April 29th, 2014, 23:02
Hey Untamo - why dont you join in a sessions at FG Con and get a refresher from the players perspective :)

Andrepartthree
April 30th, 2014, 04:54
You may or may not remember my previous comments Megan given it was - well, years ago ! :P - but once again I have to commend you on living the dream :) .. A toy and game designer? That's the dream job of probably 99 percent of the people here on FG ! ;)

I hear you, you jump into an FG game thinking it will be great, you're so pumped that you are willing to learn the brand new rules that go with the game, you spend tons of time writing up a character that will be fun to role play.. then the whole thing falls apart ! Perhaps half the players don't show up first game session, or worse yet show up for a few then bail suddenly afterwards... or the GM bails after one or two game sessions ... have seen both happen before and it's REALLY frustrating ! But that's the nature of online gaming I guess, if you don't know the people in - well , in person :P - it's a lot easier to just drop them :( ... I always write up a super detailed character - like practically a novel's worth according to other players and GM's :P ... so I know how frustrating it is to have that effort be all for naught....

It looks like there's a possibility of untamo running a campaign? At the risk of volunteering some unasked for advice (I'm already in a campaign wish I had time to be in more than one :( ... two kids and a cat keeping me busy :P ) .... Megan mentioned voice ... establishing in advance how much of the game will take place via voice and how much will take place via text can be helpful - I've seen situations where someone is a slow typist and they get REALLY frustrated if everything has to be typed in-game.. on the other hand there are players and GM's (I'm one of them ;) ) who strongly prefer that everything in-character be typed due to an unfortunate tendency for some voice games to degenerate into a slew of yuk-yuk out of character jokes.. I'm not saying you should NEVER do OOC jokes either :P I just mean that I've noticed the OOC jokes seem to take over the majority of the game... but it's quite possible I've just been unlucky and that there are mainly-voice games that work well, and run at a very quick pace at that .. the advantage of all-voice is it moves the game along QUICKLY in a way that all text can't match .... others prefer a hybrid, voice for out of character, text for in character - some people reverse that , voice for in character, text for ooc...

Megan mentioned she enjoys the role playing side of things.. for me getting into character is THE most fun part of the game :) , to the point where I get unhappy if I don't have at least a few other players in the campaign who feel the same way and will actually take the time to RP out their character and interact with me... but there are players who are the complete opposite, it's all " accomplish the mission, kill the monsters, solve the puzzle" and that's that.. these players can go so far as to get annoyed with others who they feel are "role playing too much", they feel such players are slowing down the game, are taking up too much of the limelight... personally as a GM I LOVE players who take the time to RP out their personalities (heck I even love them as a fellow player :) ) .. but that's something good to focus on too.. how much of the game will be spent in RP vs "accomplish the mission, kill the monsters solve the puzzle?" To be clear I'm not saying the WHOLE game should be nothing but RP'ing out your character's personality - rolling dice and killing monsters is fun too ;) ... but it's good to figure out what kind of balance players and the GM are looking for in advance or as much as possible anyways ;) ...

Megan mentioned she wasn't keen on games that are solely play-by-post and I see her point, I would personally want a game that involved FG game sessions too ;) ... but some games are FG campaigns that also have a "play by post" element in a sense... if there isn't a forum set up for the game by the GM I'll almost always volunteer to set one up, solely for the purpose of soap opera detailed player character-to-player character role playing, lengthy conversations that take place outside of the FG game where you have more leisure to really go "in depth"... unless the GM goes gung-ho for the whole forum thing ;) I'm careful to make sure the conversations don't feature any " real " stuff that could have a material, practical impact on game play... no " I steal someone's stuff or punch them out" for example :P , just conversation, during down time when the characters are not busy (camped for the night or whatever)... some players will go for this, others will ignore it but to me it adds a whole new element to RPG's that can be a lot of fun or I think so personally anyways ;) .. if the players and GM are so inclined the forum can also be a place to post things like out of character questions (clarifications of the rules maybe), deciding who gets what loot, posting a warning that you might not be able to make it to an FG game session for some reason (which hopefully doesn't happen too often but it does happen), session recaps if a player volunteers to sum such things up , possibly even summaries of important NPC's encountered if the GM has time to post such... the GM for our current campaign (you're doing an awesome job if you're reading this deathwish ;) ) found a REALLY good website, in my opinion anyways, called epic words.. www.epicwords.com... free to use too from what I understand ;) ...

Andrepartthree
April 30th, 2014, 04:56
Hi Megan,

I'm interested and willing to GM. I have had a hankering to get back into some Pathfinder, so keep me posted!

Kieron

Holy crap I just checked out untamo/Kieron's website.. an illustrator/comic artist AND a toy/game designer in the same group? You guys are lucky, no lacking for creativity here! ;) ... I'm officially envious now ;) ...

Dr_Babylon
April 30th, 2014, 05:59
If you good people do indeed put something together with designs on long-term commitment, I would very much appreciate consideration as a potential contributor. Time is one resource I can spare and, despite my location, a California-friendly schedule would most likely compliment my availability. No pressure, of course, as I realize the earliest stages are often the most uncertain but, should this prove to be the ground floor, intuition suggests it would behoove me to hop on.

For the moment, I shall continue to lurk and keep hope alive.

untamo
April 30th, 2014, 14:30
Thanks for your comments Andrepartthree. I have run games on here before. I started a Savage tide one before handing the reins over to one of my players due to scheduling issues with me. I like using voice and text. I leave it up to the players to decide how much they want to RP. I will usually type out NPC speeches, but my typing is really slow and so will end up simply stating what they say if it will be a long winded discussion with them.

I do like back stories if the campaign’s allow it. If a player is invested in a PC and I see that, I’m more likely as a GM to get invested in the PC as well, and make up RP opportunities just for them. In the Savage Tide campaign, I gave a character a Legacy magic item that would grow with the PC, and developed a whole backstory for it. Another character had a backstory in which he thought he was an orphan. I sewed the seeds in the campaign which led to his eventually finding and meeting his mother. So I do like developing a campiagn with the players. It’s more fun that way.

I also had a forum for the game as well. A lot of planning and rping was handled in the forum. Stuff that happened between adventures and sessions. I was amazed by some of the stuff that came out of it. It was pretty cool.

Looks like I need to get my ducks in a row and start getting this campaign up and running. It might not get off the found until late in the month, but that could be good in regards to finding players and organizing things. One thing though, I am vehemently opposed to Monster races and crazy class choices. They should be used sparingly and only if they make sense in a campaign world. If my campaign does not have guns, then I wil not allow a gunslinger class in my world, unless they can give me a really good RP reason for having them in it. I will usually list the source books I allow for the campaign and what races and classes I will allow as well. It makes my job easier that way.

I’ll post when I set up a Game Calendar. It looks like Meganhunter, Dr_Babylon, and possibly AndrePartThree are interested?

Cheers,

Andrepartthree
April 30th, 2014, 15:04
A GM after my own heart who encourages RP - that's awesome ! :) And another shout-out to Dr. B who is probably sick and tired of now by me publicly praising him whenever he posts something :P .. but I've gamed with Dr. B before, huge asset, does a fantastic job RP'ing his characters in FG game sessions and .. well click on his forum posts and scroll through and you'll see some AMAZING back-stories he comes up with for his PC's off the cuff just for fun :) ..

(sighs in frustration).. man I wish I could split myself into two people :P ... one to handle the munchkin/cat duties and one who just games and the two people could trade off like weekly or something ;) ... I would LOVE to be in this campaign if I only had the time ! :( ... already in one really fun FG campaign and .. well if I spread myself too thin I can't RP as much as I would like to in both campaigns and would be doing a disservice to both :( ...

But again I envy you guys, even more if you have Dr. B in the mix too ;) ...

Andrepartthree
April 30th, 2014, 15:06
And on a totally unrelated note that's some AMAZING artwork you have going on there untamo :) .. in my humble opinion the pic's for the fitness club are particularly awesome :)

MeganHunter
April 30th, 2014, 15:10
Apologies Andrepartthree, I turn 36 this summer and my mind is starting to go...memories replaced by urgings to yell at young whippersnappers until they get off my lawn. Since I use FG's forums so infrequently I thought it'd be easy to find my previous posts, but it seems to be in the old folks home with me.

I got the chance to play in a pick-up game where we only used voice for OOC, and only typed IC. I wasn't expecting that since in my own games we only use the text box for rolls. It was okay, but it took getting used to. And of course my recent PBP excursions have been all typed. I will admit that it's probably easier for me to RP through text than voice, heh, but I can still be a bit of a ham and do voices and such with them.

My typing is super fast, though when I GM I usually have speeches and such written out beforehand. That's actually a habit I'm actively trying to climb out of, so doing game design and writing stuff for a living is not all it's cracked up to be! I have a bad tendency to put my players on rails, because their random actions or rolls don't fit within any type of narrative structure (it can make story resolution tricky at best). Or I might spend a long time designing a puzzle that they'll spend all night trying to circumvent instead of just attempting the thing. (Actually, that reminds me a lot of this (https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680).) I just mean sometimes those things you think are bonuses can turn out to be real hindrances! A player once told me "your stories are good, but this isn't your story." He was right and I need to learn from it. Of course, they just wanted to treat D&D like GTA and go around robbing and killing all the villagers, so I wasn't getting anything out of it, but I still know good advice when I hear some. ;)

No worries there Untamo, I'm a normal race / normal class kind of girl. I don't even multiclass or prestige that often!

Andrepartthree
April 30th, 2014, 15:46
Hey no need for apologies you ! :) I didn't expect you to remember what I said years ago that would be more than a tad bit demanding on my part ;) .. and 36 is NOT old ! ;)

I commend the heck out of you for writing up those cool narrative back-stories in the first place that's a lot more than a lot of GM's do and I think it's fantastic you put so much hard work into your campaign ! :) ... so the hack and slash players were more interested in acting like violent third graders than bothering to RP their characters - did they even bother coming up with a backstory or personality for their PC's ? UGH .. sorry, I know that sounds condescending as all hell but... far as I'm concerned you're better off without them trust me ;) .... problem is you don't know what a player is going to be like until it's too late a lot of the time :( ... and don't even get me started on the immature ones who are really great at RP but throw a hissy-fit in real life when things don't go their own way (rolls eyes again)...

Yep, true , true, players will surprise you typically by doing the exact opposite of what you expected it's the refrain of many a GM :P .. but at the same time .. well I'm also all about the epic stories in a campaign as a GM so you're a GM after my own heart ;) , and yes, yes, can definitely lead to railroading if one is not careful ... but at the same time the GM can't be expected to populate every single corner of the campaign world with pre-written material "just in case"... my approach on the Iron Kingdoms campaign I am EVER so slowly piecing together is this.. come up with a series of missions for the players , the pre-written adventures basically.. and then build a reason for them to go on the missions right into character creation ....in my case I'll be asking the players to give me a reason WHY their PC's will want to go on the missions on the first place and make it part of their motivation during character creation.. could be love of the kingdom, love of an NPC who asks them to go on the missions, character is a do-gooder who would want to save the innocents at risk in said mission to begin with, et cetera... and I'll be warning players flat out if they decide to abandon the mission entirely not only will innocents die (I'll be asking all the PC's be good aligned) I'll flat out admit to them as a GM I don't have anything prepared for going to the OTHER corner of the world they want to... having said that I'll do my best to anticipate all possible PC reactions ( I know that's impossible but I'll try ;) ) instead of falling into the " What do you MEAN you're not going to go this way? Stop going that way !" kind of situation :P .. Try to account for more than one way to solve the problem, account for " what if the PC's say " no way " to this NPC instead of " yes " like I was planning on them doing", that sort of thing.. having said THAT, a certain amount of "off the cuff" necessity on the GM's part is inevitable ... but the more work you put into the campaign the better prepared you are to "think on the fly" if necessary ;) ..

I realize that can be a turn-off for some players who insist on the whole " I should be able to go ANYWHERE I want and I demand you entertain me damn it ! " :P ... but for the mature player who realizes the GM is a human being too who also needs to have fun (and trashing the adventure she or he spent so much time creating is NOT that much fun for a GM ) and who has a life outside of entertaining the players, working and paying the bills or taking care of family or what not ;) .. if you find the right group of people it's not a problem basically they will understand ;) and they'll also appreciate all the work you put into the adventure and enjoy spending their time exploring and discovering said work.. though I had a somewhat disastrous experience running the dragonlance modules for D&D.. there is SO much railroading that goes on in any pre-published module that players can get annoyed, understandably so.... writing up your own stuff on the other hand gives a big advantage ;) .. on the other hand the right group of players will understand not every GM has the time to write up their own modules from scratch and will simply appreciate the fact the GM is putting forth the effort to begin with..

Love the fact you can do different voices with your PC's by the way that would be a blast to listen to just for the fun factor alone :) ...

untamo
April 30th, 2014, 15:47
First, thank you for the comments on my art, very appreciated.

And OMG Megan we are like the same person! Our thinking is perfectly aligned...it's a little scary! You're like my American Twin!

And don't worry Andre, I'll keep pestering you until you realize that you just have to play in my campaign! :P

So far I like this discussion. I hope we can get some more like minded people and start something cool.

For now the campaign I'd like to run is the Adventure Path "Rise of the Runelords" Hopefully no has played that?

I will probably run a forum and campaign site for it on Obsidian portal.

MeganHunter
April 30th, 2014, 16:23
I'm a big fan of Obsidian Portal. It seems similar to Epic Words Andre, though I chanced upon Obsidian first so I've been there ever since. Their recent overhaul was...well, good in some parts, bad in others. It completely destroyed all my maps. :mad: Though at the same time, it added some other nice options. :o

Depending on what Untamo would like to allow for his campaign, I'll make something in the Fighter / Ranger realm. I tend to prefer using combat feats or tools to spells and magic. I'd probably go with the always safe Human, or my beloved Dwarf. I also like making things appropriate to the campaign setting (even if the character grows and moves on to other adventures) so the geography and such of the area will no doubt influence my char creation.

darrenan
May 1st, 2014, 02:08
Hey, add me to the interested list. It will depend on time and day of course. I'm currently in the same SR campaign as Andre, and I am currently GMing Wrath of the Righteous on FG for my circle of friends. But I probably have space for one more recurring campaign in my life.

[EDIT]
I just noticed the proposed adventure path. I was brought in as a substitute player around level 10 I think in this Adventure path, although most of what I participated in I *think* was side stuff not very related to RotRL per se. I certainly don't know enough about it to be a spoiler in any meaningful sense. The campaign petered out 2-3 sessions after I joined.

Andrepartthree
May 1st, 2014, 04:06
Hey, add me to the interested list. It will depend on time and day of course. I'm currently in the same SR campaign as Andre, and I am currently GMing Wrath of the Righteous on FG for my circle of friends. But I probably have space for one more recurring campaign in my life.

SR = Shadowrun ;) ... the campaign run by deathwish47 ;) .. in my humble opinion Darren does an awesome job running Plex and takes the time to role play with my character BIG time on the forums, wrote up some awesome RP on the forum we have for said game :) .. smooth talking Caribbean black man ;) ..

Dr_Babylon
May 1st, 2014, 06:17
I may have misinterpreted the group's priority on voice-based communication, ironically calling my comprehensive reading skills into question. I'm seeing a lot of very promising elements being discussed and I do love concocting a detailed character and tangling it up in an engrossing story. Sadly, I'm afraid I only have room in my heart for pure text games. Thus, it seems I am relegated to an observational role.

I wish this project all the very best.

MeganHunter
May 1st, 2014, 21:20
While I'm definitely hoping to "Avengers Assemble" a long-term group of players, and while I'm certainly partial to voice in some capacity, I'd say Untamo's in charge of how the game is played right now since he's going to so much hard work. I'm actually not sure what he's got cooking or how he likes to play, so I defer to him. I'd say however he wants to handle voice or lack-there-of goes.

As to keep y'all in the loop, I ended up making a Cad (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/classArchetypes/fighter.html#_cad-(archetype)) that will eventually prestige into Aldori Swordlord (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/s-z/aldori-swordlord) (if I live!). Scoundrel with a heart of gold type, specializes in cheating and fighting dirty.

darrenan
May 2nd, 2014, 02:35
I'm thinking druid. Race, archetype and backstory TBD.

Pech
May 2nd, 2014, 19:34
Greetings MeganHunter and Untamo

Me and good friend are looking to join you on your campaign/adventure/who know where it leads because it's the journey that matters objective.

We have recently wrapped up a campaign of our own Wrath of Righteous due to inactive players. I was DMing, and he was playing and some of other friends due to real life commitments had to depart our campaign.

We are looking for something long term with a group focusing on Pathfinder. We both like killing things, but we would prefer more story driven atmosphere which you guys seem to be offering here.

If you still have room we would like to reserve ourselves to be allied group members. My friend did have 1 question that I will ask on his behalf.

Untamo will you allow custom races? Not for min/maxing purposes of course, but for flavor. He has a thing about playing a lizard man. Don't ask me why, but him and the lizards in every game :P For example if the Lizardfolk from the elder scrolls setting was too "monster race"? He takes creation and writing seriously and the race is balanced around a specific set of ideas and is written into the setting that you will make for us. It's not a deal breaker, but just wanted to ask if there was some flexibility in there for him to work with.

Also willing to contribute the menial tasks of editing tokens and maps as my contribution to the group. I have a lot of the digital stuff from the Paizo I can contribute as well.

MeganHunter
May 2nd, 2014, 20:28
Hi Pech! Only Untamo can give an official answer, but I do know that he's looking for players to be the more traditional races. I'm guessing it would probably be for the best, if not outright required, to play the classic human / elf / dwarf / halfing / half-orc, and possibly gnome depending on his preference. (I know gnomes often seem to disappear from campaigns!)

If you end up coming aboard, thankfully both he and I are well versed in graphics, so all things considered we should have a very good looking game indeed! (With good looking players, ho ho ho) :D

Pech
May 2nd, 2014, 20:35
Well he'll play a human if he has to he is just not a huge fan of the other traditional races.

But yes we would love to come aboard with you guys even if he has to put on his Human suit for a change.

Looking forward to hearing back Untamo!

Have any questions for us feel free to ask!

I was thinking Dwarf for myself, but I could get my gnome on to.

MeganHunter
May 2nd, 2014, 20:55
Hi again, I just checked our ever-growing wiki for you:

Players will create PC’s using Core Classes and Races only. I am flexible in this if the Player comes up with an interesting back story that would explain how they exist and come to be in Varisia. At the very least use only those race/class rules that appear in the PFSRD.

Monster races like goblins, orcs, etc, are not allowed at all.

Just wanted to let him know as soon as I read something definitive! I appreciate DM Untamo's reticence and have adopted it when I DM as well. Some folks mean well, but some others use their example to make vampiric half-dragon half-wemics. (That of course multiclass into seven different prestiges.) Personally I started out in the days of D&D Basic -- when dwarf wasn't a race, but a class! -- and I can definitely promise that the core races don't have to be boring anymore! There's an especially exciting selection of racial Feats now. I love the dwarf ones I've seen.

~Meg

Pech
May 2nd, 2014, 21:10
Awesome I'll let him know!

That is perfectly understandable and very reasonable. I appreciate you taking the time to look into that for us.

Well now comes the waiting and crossing our fingers and toes part.

untamo
May 2nd, 2014, 21:14
I just messaged you Pech. I elaborated a little on my reasons for the restriction. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Kieron

Pech
May 3rd, 2014, 04:29
Coolness.

Reply sent to ya looking forward to awesome things.

Old Man Trouble
May 11th, 2014, 03:13
Hello all,

I was wondering if there might still be spots available for this group? I'm new to FG, though I'm a long time player and GM. Unfortunately my old gaming group dissolved when after 4 years solid of GMing, our GM said it was someone else's turn for a while. (Yes, I'm the guilty party) It's been many years since I last played, but I mostly played D&D from 2nd edition to 3.5 edition. Looking through Pathfinder, it seems very much like a 3.75 edition. 8)

In any case, the stories from fellow GMs in this thread made me smile in shared sympathy. As a player, I enjoy a mix of story, combat, and maybe even a few puzzles thrown in for good measure. I'm far better at RPing in a text environment, though I have no problems with voice chat. I just don't do voices well and I tend to like to think out what my character is going to do and say before hitting that enter key.

Please let me know if anyone has any questions. For scheduling purposes, I'm in EST with a full time job (I make sure buildings don't fall down).

MeganHunter
May 11th, 2014, 17:01
No worries there, the same exact thing happened to me. :) I like GMing but it was getting to the point where I feel I was taken advantage of. Perhaps even worse, they started refusing to take my GM word as final, and evetually realized that because I'm nice they could bully me into decisions in their favor. Once players started having kids and our scheduling got gaps, I took it as an opportunity to start looking elsewhere. To this day I hate folks that challenge the DM. They're doing all this work just so you can play it! I think the rare questioning is okay, in terms of what skill check might be used for a certain thing, but only if few-and-far between and only if you still take the GM's decision as gospel.

I'm still not sure where the voice-to-text ratio is laying for this forming group, to be honest! I got the chance to attend a session of the FG Con yesterday (playing a dwarf whose job was, oddly enough, to make buildings come down) and there we used voice for OOC or the important "acting" things, while the text was reserved for small flavor dialogue and emotes when it was someone else's turn. I do know that DM Untamo surprised us with a wonderful RP aspect to character creation, which reminded me in some ways of Ultima's gypsy generators (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYB11cFi-ls), and the entire thing was done in text. On the other hand, a player has wonderfully brought us into their Mumble server so I'm not quite sure yet. I can only say that my vote is for at least partial voice. As an aside, we also have a growing wiki through Obsidian Portal that is becoming quite extensive. I imagine the game itself will start in the coming weeks.

Our DM's busy this weekend and likely isn't popping in here, but I'll send him this so he sees it. Depending on how many FG games you're looking for I'd also like to introduce you to Dr. Bablyon (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?13739-Dr_Babylon), who I bet has a good line on which text centric games might be running.

Old Man Trouble
May 11th, 2014, 18:19
Thanks for the reply. Also, thank goodness I don't have to design buildings with dwarven sappers in mind. That would make my job significantly more difficult and no one would ever be able to actually afford to build them!

I remember those question-and-answer style character creation engines. They certainly have been around for a while. On the topic of text, whatever people want is ok with me. I'd just be better with IC text, OOC voice. How do you tell an introvert engineer from an extrovert engineer? The introvert engineer spends the conversation looking down at his shoes. The extrovert engineer spends the conversation looking down at YOUR shoes. 8)

Do you have a link to this Obsidian Portal site? It didn't look like there was an option to search by name... and I'm not even sure what name I'd search for. Did you guys have any party needs to fill? I can generally come up with something fun for me that would work well for both IC stuff and party mechanics. I'm pretty willing to go with the flow on things.

Also, hello Mr. Dr. Babylon fellow! I've seen the name before in other threads I peeked through.

Andrepartthree
May 11th, 2014, 21:25
No worries there, the same exact thing happened to me. :) I like GMing but it was getting to the point where I feel I was taken advantage of. Perhaps even worse, they started refusing to take my GM word as final, and evetually realized that because I'm nice they could bully me into decisions in their favor. Once players started having kids and our scheduling got gaps, I took it as an opportunity to start looking elsewhere. To this day I hate folks that challenge the DM. They're doing all this work just so you can play it! I think the rare questioning is okay, in terms of what skill check might be used for a certain thing, but only if few-and-far between and only if you still take the GM's decision as gospel.

Apologies for continuing to chime in on a game I won't be able to join due to time restrictions much as I would love to :( .. but just wanted to say hear hear ! Rules lawyers are a classic example of this... a BRIEF discussion of the rules is one thing, let's face it pathfinder / D&D 3.5 rules can be complicated ! But dragging the game to a complete halt while you challenge the GM over rule 3 paragraph 4 page 235 of the book and turning it into a lengthy conversation is another thing entirely... I had the misfortune of being in a campaign with TWO rules lawyers ... got pretty boring watching them argue with the GM over and over and I'm thinking to myself " poor guy volunteers his time to run a game for us and look what happens".. then there are players who will pull a "Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory" and just argue with the GM in general.. they'll use phrases like " realistically X, Y and Z should happen not what you just proposed" ... cripes, the entire game is taking place in our MINDS, something that people forget ... despite a GM's best efforts your mental interpretation of events will NEVER match up with the GM's 100 percent... asking questions to clarify what's going on in-game is one thing but .. I assume going into any FG campaign the GM will make, bare minimum, at least 1 or 2 decisions I'm going to disagree with .. but I don't make a federal case out of it every time it happens! Some players feel it's their god-given right to do so however...

Is it possible for a GM's style to be so opposite of what you want as a player that you can't be happy? Yes, entirely true.. but if I see that happening I'd much rather gracefully bow out as a player after explaining my reservations and wish the others the best than DEMAND the GM change EVERYTHING just to suit one player's preferences... sadly.. that's RPG's for you, some players are happy, well adjusted people who can see a viewpoint other than their own while others.. are not... and you never find out what kind of player you're dealing with until it's too late... and listen to me ramble once again :P ..

PuckStoper35
May 12th, 2014, 09:11
i'll be running a few PFRPG scenarios if you want to join in? add me on steam preferably at SirMcJingles or message me here either one works but i check steam a lot more.
also if anyone has info on how to import scenarios i want to run "skulls and shackles", but i only have it in pdf form.

untamo
May 12th, 2014, 16:16
Hi Old Man Trouble ,

I send you a private message. It should answer questions you might have.

Untamo

Old Man Trouble
May 13th, 2014, 00:55
Looks like I got the ball rolling! Hopefully that character will work for whatever nefarious deeds we will be involving ourselves in!

willquestion
May 16th, 2014, 14:08
Hi untamo. I tried to private message you to get things worked out for Sunday but your mailbox is full.