PDA

View Full Version : Trail of Cthulhu ruleset

cscase
April 24th, 2014, 16:40
Quick v3.2.0 compatibility release here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20888-Trail-of-Cthulhu-ruleset&p=298637&viewfull=1#post298637

--------------------------------------
Hey all,
I'm attaching the ruleset I put together for Trail of Cthulhu (https://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=242), by Pelgrane Press. This is a .zip containing a readme and the .pak file. Please check out the readme for more info. The ruleset is fully functional, but does not include any library modules or reference information, so you will of course need the Trail of Cthulhu rulebook to play.

Here's a short video overview of the ruleset:
https://youtu.be/EYD0RxtlNGs

A big "thank you!" to the many people on these forums who helped me as I worked to put this ruleset together. In particular, community members Trenloe and Dakadin, and Smiteworks guys Moon Wizard and ddavison all helped me out repeatedly, generously sharing of their time and knowledge. These guys came to the rescue time and again when I was ready to pull my hair out and shelve the whole project and there's no way that this ruleset would have made it to a usable form without their help. Many thanks also go to Simon Rogers of Pelgrane Press for graciously allowing me to share this with you.

You will, no doubt, click on things that I haven't clicked on and find bugs and quirks that I am blissfully unaware of. And you might find things that just seem odd or that you'd rather be slightly different. Feel free to shoot me a PM when those things happen and I'll see what I can do to fix bugs and accomodate tweak requests.

Disclaimer:
If you were to crack the file open and look at my code, you would not need to be a master code monkey to discern that, well, neither am I :P. I learned a lot in the process and speaking from hindsight, there are a lot of things I could have done differently and more efficiently - but it's working well for me as it is and I hope that it will for you, too.

Scott

JPG Edit: Updated for v3.0.8 changes on 2014-09-28.

Trenloe
April 24th, 2014, 16:52
This is amazing work - I love the theme and they way you've put it together. I hope to get to use this sometime as either a player or a GM. Thanks for sticking with it!

Mask_of_winter
April 24th, 2014, 23:39
Amazing job cscase! Everything is so functionnal. Love the party sheet and character sheet functionality. Makes me wish I was running a Trail of Cthulhu game instead of Nights Black Agents for FG Con4.

Thanks for sharing!

damned
April 25th, 2014, 03:13
@Mask_of_winter - there is still 2 weeks! got time to put together and run another session? what? real life you say?

@cscase - awesome - as you have been in contact with pelgrane did you enquire if they would be willing to sell a fully loaded version via the fantasy grounds store? and why dont you demo this at FG Con?

Trenloe
April 25th, 2014, 03:26
as you have been in contact with pelgrane did you enquire if they would be willing to sell a fully loaded version via the fantasy grounds store? and why dont you demo this at FG Con?
Seems they were interested 3 years ago: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?15512-New-developer-needed-for-GUMSHOE-ruleset

damned
April 25th, 2014, 03:59
for the game producers and the developers this often doesnt result in any great revenue - but the hard work is done and by turning it into a $10 or $15 license with the modules included you get *some* return and some more exposure for your games.
just read that post @Trenloe :)
@cscase - you should ping [email protected] and see if they can revive the initial interest?

cscase
April 25th, 2014, 06:50
It's my understanding that Smiteworks and Pelgrane do have an agreement in place which could allow a full commercial ruleset to be produced. That said, I myself don't have the time to devote to doing it right: Building full-blown library modules would be an extremely time-consuming and tedious endeavor, and supporting a commercial ruleset with continuous development of new features and timely bugfixes is a big commitment. I just put this together for my own use and thought the community might benefit.

damned
April 25th, 2014, 10:17
I obviously havent run anything with it - but i fired it up today and it looks great.
thanks

Moon Wizard
May 1st, 2014, 01:22
Linked on wiki.

JPG

Blue Haven
May 1st, 2014, 17:30
Thank you so much :)

Trenloe
May 5th, 2014, 21:32
For those who are interested in Trail of Cthulhu, Bundle of Holding are currently running a ToC bundle. $8.95 for the rulebook, screen and a collection of 4 adventures - meet the threshold level and you get another 3 books.

https://www.bundleofholding.com/index/current

damned
May 7th, 2014, 04:38
hmmm... i have the players handbook - i might have to do this and get the GMs guide. on rpgnow.com its about $25 just for the GMs guide in PDF so ts very good value.
of course then if the guidebooks become available in store (thanks Scott and Scott) then will need to purchase that too...

damned
May 7th, 2014, 08:10
Trenloe - or anyone else - are the extras good value or shoudl i just opt for the basic pack just now?
My Cthulhu experience is very limited.
Have a few CoC books around the place but never really picked them up... :(
Trail looks like more fun.

Thete
May 7th, 2014, 13:38
Trenloe - or anyone else - are the extras good value or shoudl i just opt for the basic pack just now?
My Cthulhu experience is very limited.
Have a few CoC books around the place but never really picked them up... :(
Trail looks like more fun.

At that price they are a bargain. All Pelgrane's ToC books are quality writing, with very coherently structured investigative scenarios. The majority of the bundled supplements are written by two of the top RPG writers in the industry...all three bonus =books are award winning source books with few to no scenarios: Bookhounds won awards for the beautiful colour street maps of period london and gives you a Ken Hite tour of London and many ideas for bibliophile adventures. Armitage is an impressive array of character, plot and location resouces for Arkham investigations, built round a clever "letters from the future" conceit for collaborative story telling. While the Book of the Smoke is something quite unique...a real world book that is also an in-game artifact, written as a occult tour-guide to 30's london. The majority of entries in it are probably factual but it is laced with Cthulhu Mythos plot hooks and players are encouraged the explore it as in-game inspiration and idea seeds that the GM can harvest and actualize into play. Its quite meta and appropriately occult

ddavison
May 7th, 2014, 19:32
We do have the option of doing a split commission if cscase was interested in partnering with someone to take on the additional library module development and future maintenance. Just saying...

:)

Mask_of_winter
May 17th, 2014, 16:33
Again, thanks for the ruleset! Ran a game last night and everybody had a blast. I even posted a screenshot on Steam.

cscase
May 17th, 2014, 18:24
Awesome! Glad to hear it worked well for you! Let me know if you encounter any bugs or found anything about it awkward or hard to use, or if you felt like anything was missing.

Potiffar
May 19th, 2014, 08:53
This means i'll finally buy FG. Nice job!

Melioch54
July 7th, 2014, 17:39
GREAT work, thanks for sharing !

Golgorosh
September 25th, 2014, 19:17
Hey, just to let you know today's update screwed up my favourite ruleset :(

Error message is : Ruleset Error: window: Control(contentanchor) anchoring to an undefined control (title) in windowclass (charselect_host)

If our gentle benefactor could have a look into his creation, i'd send him love forever :)

Trenloe
September 25th, 2014, 19:46
Error message is : Ruleset Error: window: Control(contentanchor) anchoring to an undefined control (title) in windowclass (charselect_host)
A contentanchor control has been added to this windowclass. It relies on the title control being present, but the Trail of Cthulhu ruleset deletes this windowtitlebar in the PC selection window.

It would be best for cscase to look at this so that the fix fits with the original design goal.

However, a quick fix is to comment out the <windowtitlebar name="title" merge="delete" /> code in the <windowclass name="charselect_host" merge="join"> in campaign\campaign_chars.xml in the Trail of Cthulhu ruleset. The same will have to be done for the title_main and title_local controls in <windowclass name="charselect_client" merge="join"> in the same file - comment out those 2 controls.

Golgorosh
September 25th, 2014, 20:36
I assume Trenloe that it's something those who arent proficient with coding arent capable to do right ? Or can we ?

Trenloe
September 25th, 2014, 21:36
Steps to quickly apply this to your Trail of Cthulhu ruleset:

Start Fantasy Grounds and on the first screen press the "Open Data Folder" icon in the top right.
This opens Windows explorer at the FG data folder. Go into the rulesets folder.
Make a backup of the Trail of Cthulhu ruleset file TrailOfCthulhu.pak
If all you can see is TrailOfCthulhu (i.e. no .pak on the end) then enable viewing of file extensions - if in Windows 8 click the view tab at the top and put a tick/check in "File Name Extensions".
Rename TrailOfCthulhu.pak to TrailOfCthulhu.zip - i.e. change the extension of the file to .zip.
Right click on the zip file and select "Extract All".
When the files have been extracted you should see a new folder with some directories and some xml files. Open the campaign directory.
Download the file attached at the end of this post and copy it to the campaign directory, overwrite the file that is already there.
Go up one level to the rulesets\TrailOfCthulhu directory, press CTRL+A to select all of the files, right-click on one of the files (keeping all of them selected) and select Send to - Compressed (zip) folder.
You'll end up with a .zip file, rename it to TrailOfCthulhu.pak.
Copy TrailOfCthulhu.pak from the rulesets\TrailOfCthulhu directory (the one you've just modified) to the rulesets directory, overwrite the one that is already there.
Load up your Trail of Cthulhu campaign and see if it works!

Golgorosh
September 26th, 2014, 16:21
OH MY GOD !!!

I love you Trenloe :) Works like a charm !!!

You've saved my Eternal Lies campaign :)

Trenloe
September 26th, 2014, 16:57
Glad I could help. Hope the PCs save the world! :)

damned
September 26th, 2014, 23:44
Hope the PCs save the world! :)

Thats kinda unlikely isnt it?

Melioch54
September 27th, 2014, 14:51
Anyway thanks, it works for my fist time mastering :)

Moon Wizard
September 29th, 2014, 01:24
I just updated the ruleset pack for Trail of Cthulhu in the first post to include the fix.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
September 29th, 2014, 01:40
I just updated the ruleset pack for Trail of Cthulhu in the first post to include the fix.
Thanks. I'd considered doing that, but I was hoping that cscase would spot this and look to update it as it changes a bit of the GUI from the original design.

cscase
September 29th, 2014, 15:13
Sorry I didn't get to this sooner. I appreciate your help and diligence, Trenloe and Moon Wizard!

CryAxe
June 1st, 2015, 19:01
Is this ready for FG 3.1, which is expected to be released today?

Also, would it be better to purchase the CoC modules from FG and manuelly translate them into the ToC rule system, or get the PDFs and go that route?

Finally, thanks for all of the hard work and sharing the fruits of your labor!

Trenloe
June 1st, 2015, 22:57
Is this ready for FG 3.1, which is expected to be released today?
ToC should be OK with 3.1 - unless there is a major clash with the CoreRPG ruleset.

Also, would it be better to purchase the CoC modules from FG and manuelly translate them into the ToC rule system, or get the PDFs and go that route?
If you want to have the whole module in FG then buy the CoC module and you'll just have to convert the NPCs - you'll have the story and image/map entries ready to go.

ianmward
June 1st, 2015, 23:10
Bundle of Holding are just re-running their offer to get heaps of Trail of Cthulhu books for not much money (and give some to charity). If don't already have the books, head on over:
https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Trail2015

CryAxe
June 2nd, 2015, 02:08
ToC should be OK with 3.1 - unless there is a major clash with the CoreRPG ruleset.

If you want to have the whole module in FG then buy the CoC module and you'll just have to convert the NPCs - you'll have the story and image/map entries ready to go.
Thanks. I'll go that route. I wasn't sure if FG would allow me to load the CoC modules without loading the CoC rule-set.

CryAxe
June 2nd, 2015, 02:09
Bundle of Holding are just re-running their offer to get heaps of Trail of Cthulhu books for not much money (and give some to charity). If don't already have the books, head on over:
https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Trail2015

Thanks. Luckily, I haven't purchased the PDFs yet. This is a great deal.

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2015, 02:33
Thanks. I'll go that route. I wasn't sure if FG would allow me to load the CoC modules without loading the CoC rule-set.
See step #4 here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23772-Converting-PF-3-5e-FG-modules-to-5e&p=206511&viewfull=1#post206511 In the Coc module change the ruleset tag from CallOfCthulhu to TrailOfCthulhu.

Valarian
June 2nd, 2015, 08:23
See step #4 here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23772-Converting-PF-3-5e-FG-modules-to-5e&p=206511&viewfull=1#post206511 In the Coc module change the ruleset tag from CallOfCthulhu to TrailOfCthulhu.
Possibly add the Trail of Cthulhu as another ruleset tag rather than changing the Call of Cthulhu one. The modules will then load in both.
These will be the Chaosium 6th Edition material though, not the Gumshoe material in the Bundle of Holding.

Mask_of_winter
June 2nd, 2015, 08:28
From what I heard from two good sources including the creator, the TOC corebook has been submitted to Smiteworks for review months ago. With enough pressure perhaps we could see a store release soon ;)

damned
June 2nd, 2015, 08:50
From what I heard from two good sources including the creator, the TOC corebook has been submitted to Smiteworks for review months ago. With enough pressure perhaps we could see a store release soon ;)

there is still a couple of things outstanding on a bigger release.... sssshhh.

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2015, 13:57
Possibly add the Trail of Cthulhu as another ruleset tag rather than changing the Call of Cthulhu one. The modules will then load in both.
You really need to make a copy and change the ruleset tag in the copy of the module (use both rulesets in the copy if you really want to). Doing this avoids the FG updater thinking the module is the wrong version and overwriting it.

CryAxe
June 2nd, 2015, 20:33
Thanks, this is all great news! I'd love additional functionality in the system. Also, being able to easily convert source material from one ruleset to another will help immensely. There is so much great story and handout material in these games, I look forward to delving into some official content optimized for FG.

CryAxe
June 4th, 2015, 17:36

I attempted to make the edits suggested, but the xml file seems to be encrypted.

Trenloe
June 4th, 2015, 17:40
I attempted to make the edits suggested, but the xml file seems to be encrypted.
Looks like you haven't done steps #2 & #3 - that looks like the ZIP file you've opened directly, not unZipped and then access the unzipped XML file.

CryAxe
June 4th, 2015, 19:12
Looks like you haven't done steps #2 & #3 - that looks like the ZIP file you've opened directly, not unZipped and then access the unzipped XML file.

You were right. However, now after I save the change, it doesn't stay changed. The module doesn't show up and when I open the xml file back up, it is still on the old ruleset, despite saving under the new ruleset.

damned
June 5th, 2015, 01:57
delete the module and run an update and let it redownload.
then follow the steps from teh beginning again....

CryAxe
June 6th, 2015, 00:40
delete the module and run an update and let it redownload.
then follow the steps from teh beginning again....

I tried it, it doesn't fix the issue. It shouldn't be read only, but it doesn't save my edits.

Thete
June 15th, 2015, 05:08
Just putting it out there, that I'd happily volunteer my time to contribute to the ToC work for free, I've created a few extensions, happy to do xml data entry grunt work, own all the ToC material twice over (PDF and print) have access to Acrobat Pro DC, have some experience in re-skinning UIs, am comfortable doing image manipulation to create portraits in the style of ToC.

Sooo for whoever is working on the TrailofCthulhu project, let me know if you need anything.

damned
June 15th, 2015, 05:16
Thete the big challenge that the dev is having right now is with the Combat Tracker and Parsing Attacking strings and applying damage...
Send a PM to S Ferguson if you think you might be able to help him with that.
He has all the library material completed.

Thete
June 15th, 2015, 06:06
Thete the big challenge that the dev is having right now is with the Combat Tracker and Parsing Attacking strings and applying damage...
Send a PM to S Ferguson if you think you might be able to help him with that.
He has all the library material completed.

Sound like the tedious parts done, I'm make myself available for testing etc via PM

ianmward
June 15th, 2015, 08:53
I did offer to help Scott... Sounds like he likes to go it alone... Just sayin'!

Thete
June 15th, 2015, 10:52
I did offer to help Scott... Sounds like he likes to go it alone... Just sayin'!

In that case ill relax, and wait to check out his good works.

dstuffle
June 16th, 2015, 02:28

Oooooo, that would be good.

dstuffle
August 11th, 2015, 01:52
Any further news on this?

damned
August 11th, 2015, 04:45
This is still with the developer. The current ruleset works fine in the interim.

dstuffle
August 15th, 2015, 06:02
Awesome.

I was hoping to be able to spend a bit of $ to get the handbook into the game instead of long hours copy & pasting text into an XML editor though.

CryAxe
August 27th, 2015, 04:15
This is still with the developer. The current ruleset works fine in the interim.
Does anyone know if the official ruleset that is being worked on would be an open, generic GUMSHUE Rule System? Is it something that could be used for Trail of Cthulhu, Night's Black Agents, Ashen Stars, Esoterrists and the other GUMSHUE games, without too much trouble?

damned
August 27th, 2015, 04:22
Its very much a Trail of Cthulhu ruleset.
Mask_Of_Winter plays NBA via CoreRPG.

Mask_of_winter
August 27th, 2015, 04:34
You have the ability to add new skills in the ToC ruleset so yes it's possible to use it as a GUMSHOE ruleset. You can't remove skills without going under the hood to edit xml and lua files though. And then there's the matter of theme.

I used CoreRpg to run Night's Black Agents twice and it worked great for me. Very little automation but it's a system that requires very little. It's a very popular game on Google Hangouts with dicestream. So out of the box CoreRpg does a better job already. But that's my minimalistic approach opinion. If you prefer more automation, you'll be fine using ToC to run any GUMSHOE.

Valarian
August 27th, 2015, 12:47
There's a Night's Black Agents ruleset in my community ruleset folder.

damned
August 27th, 2015, 13:15
Valarian has quite a few rulesets that are worth checking out.

Mask_of_winter
August 27th, 2015, 13:45
There's a Night's Black Agents ruleset in my community ruleset folder.

Is the NPC sheet functional yet?

Valarian
October 2nd, 2015, 17:31
I've created extensions for the Trail of Cthulhu ruleset that swap the skills out for those used in Night's Black Agents and Esoterrorists.
The extensions are available from the Wiki: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Extensions#Trail_of_Cthulhu

Thete
October 3rd, 2015, 00:53
I've created extensions for the Trail of Cthulhu ruleset that swap the skills out for those used in Night's Black Agents and Esoterrorists.
The extensions are available from the Wiki: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Extensions#Trail_of_Cthulhu

Nice! I assume these two extensions are for the rule set from the OP, not your gumshoe rule set Valarian?

Mask_of_winter
October 3rd, 2015, 08:37

Thanks for this!

Any chance you will modify the character sheet for Night's Black Agents further at some point?
I know for my hack with CoreRpg I liked the Ability tab because I could insert combat options and cherries instead of making a library reference module for it. How hard would it be to include that level of character sheet functionality?

Valarian
October 3rd, 2015, 09:43
Nice! I assume these two extensions are for the rule set from the OP, not your gumshoe rule set Valarian?
Yes. These two extensions are for the Trail of Cthulhu ruleset.

Valarian
October 3rd, 2015, 09:48
Any chance you will modify the character sheet for Night's Black Agents further at some point?
Not that one, no. But I have been working on a Gumshoe SRD ruleset based on CoreRPG to replace it. With work having been at home rather than hotel based, I've not got very far with that - other than to have created a base sheet. That one would have extensions to convert skills to those used for Night's Black Agents, Esoterrorists, etc. Personally, I like to tick off the skill pool instead of the two numeric lists used.

Mask_of_winter
October 3rd, 2015, 10:15
Yes, I prefer that as well.
I look forward to the GUMSHOE SRD being done. I know someone had started working on one but never finished. And it's been like two years now. Thanks again.

chatty
October 3rd, 2016, 18:38
Uh oh. TIme for some thread necromancy.

What is wrong with the NPC sheet? I'm going to spin up a Night's Black Agent's game, but if the ruleset and extensions aren't functional, I don't want to invest the time.

Is this ToC ruleset with Valarian's extensions functional?

Valarian
October 3rd, 2016, 20:43
The Trail of Cthulhu ruleset with the extension is functional, yes. There are a couple of Night's Black Agents skills missing at last count I think. These can be added in by hand. Otherwise, there's the Night's Black Agents ruleset in my Rulesets folder (link in the signature). This is just the character sheet, though, in terms of functionality.

chatty
October 3rd, 2016, 21:03
The Trail of Cthulhu ruleset with the extension is functional, yes. There are a couple of Night's Black Agents skills missing at last count I think. These can be added in by hand. Otherwise, there's the Night's Black Agents ruleset in my Rulesets folder (link in the signature). This is just the character sheet, though, in terms of functionality.

Thanks. I will take a poke at both the extension and the ruleset!

Mask_of_winter
October 4th, 2016, 01:22
The ToC ruleset with the NBA extension does the job. Whatever the char sheet doesn't cover I put in the notes section. For the NPC sheet I put Aberrance points in the Athletics slot. And yes, a few skills are missing so I just right click and add them.

Talyn
October 4th, 2016, 01:29
I haven't gotten into Gumshoe yet but are all the games similar enough that there could someday be a Gumshoe ruleset then extensions for each individual game, like ToC?

Mask_of_winter
October 4th, 2016, 02:00
Yes, and there's an SRD for Gumshoe. Someone began the work but I haven't seen any updates in a couple years.

Talyn
October 4th, 2016, 03:08
I'm thinking I may actually have the SRD lying around somewhere. Sounds like a fair amount of work to port to FG though? I've got enough on my backlog LOL.

Hector Trelane
October 24th, 2016, 17:34
I've attached a file that makes a slight modification to Alp's library module, originally available here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19976-GUMSHOE-Ruleset&p=176719&viewfull=1#post176719), for the GUMSHOE SRD (available here under OGL/CC) (https://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php/the-gumshoe-system-reference-document/). The tweaks are:

to zip Alp's files in one .mod file you can drop into your extensions folder; and
to add functionality for this Trail of Cthulu ruleset, downloadable in the OP of this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20888-Trail-of-Cthulhu-ruleset&p=172920&viewfull=1#post172920).

Note: this Library module appears about half complete. I've posted a question to the author to ask if there's a more complete version (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19976-GUMSHOE-Ruleset&p=296057&viewfull=1#post296057). If not, I may attempt to complete it in the next couple months.

Mask_of_winter
October 25th, 2016, 14:48
That would be awesome!

Trenloe
October 25th, 2016, 15:50
Note: this Library module appears about half complete. I've posted a question to the author to ask if there's a more complete version (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19976-GUMSHOE-Ruleset&p=296057&viewfull=1#post296057). If not, I may attempt to complete it in the next couple months.
I'd recommend PMing alp as they may not get notifications for that thread. Also ask them if they mind you taking their work and expanding on it and give them a couple of weeks to respond. It's only fair and polite to do that before you use someone's work. If you don't hear anything back after a couple of weeks then I'd say it's fine to go ahead. And don't forget to credit them in any module you create. Thanks. :)

Trenloe
October 25th, 2016, 19:31
Good time to get into Trail of Cthulhu - lots of PDFs available in two Bundle of Holding offers currently: https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Trail1-2016

Hector Trelane
October 25th, 2016, 19:33
I'd recommend PMing alp as they may not get notifications for that thread. Also ask them if they mind you taking their work and expanding on it and give them a couple of weeks to respond. It's only fair and polite to do that before you use someone's work. If you don't hear anything back after a couple of weeks then I'd say it's fine to go ahead. And don't forget to credit them in any module you create. Thanks. :)

OK will do. Won't get to it for a bit, anyway.

Good time to get into Trail of Cthulhu - lots of PDFs available in two Bundle of Holding offers currently: https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Trail1-2016

I was just going to post that very thing! Tempting tempting... Looks like you can get pretty much the entire ToC library for under $50.

Myrdin Potter
October 28th, 2016, 19:58
I picked it up because I like this type of game and now I am interested in the ruleset. I wonder if version 3.20 will break very much ...

Trenloe
October 28th, 2016, 20:06
I wonder if version 3.20 will break very much ...
Sidebar buttons will be the obvious ones. But the GM can choose to not show the out-of-theme (base CoreRPG) ones from the selection menu in the library. Doing a quick test: Quests, Encounters and Parcels are the main ones that aren't in the same theme as the ruleset. You'll see two "PCs" buttons. The tables button (top right) opens a broken tables list, you can add the table button to the bottom right and this appears to work.

Those are the ones I see from a quick test.

Hector Trelane
November 3rd, 2016, 04:15
Uh oh. Update 3.2 seems to have scrambled this ruleset. No doubt a couple small tweaks can sort it, but here's what the screen currently looks like:

... and here are some error messages gotten from clicking on various sidebar buttons:

Ruleset Error: windowclass: Defined with a merge attribute, but the name attribute (tablelist) does not match an existing windowclass. Skipped. File (utility/utility_misc.xml)
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (npclist : npc)
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (npclist : npc)
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (notelist : notes)
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (encounterlist : encounter)
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (encounterlist : encounter)

Vackipleur
November 3rd, 2016, 19:37
I'm sure it's not very hard to fix but unfortunately cscase is not logged since February 28th, 2015 :(

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2016, 19:38
I'm sure it's not very hard to fix but unfortunately cscase is not connected since February 28th, 2015 :(
Let me take a look.

I won't be doing any new graphics, just getting it operational...

Hector Trelane
November 3rd, 2016, 21:23
Let me take a look.

I won't be doing any new graphics, just getting it operational...

Much appreciated.

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2016, 23:19
See post #88 below for graphical update.

Attached is an updated ruleset .pak to work with v3.2.0.

As you can see from the screenshot, there are some buttons that aren't of the same style. In "play" mode though these aren't seen - especially by the players.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16029

To get it to work with CoreRPG I had to remove some code, so hopefully I haven't broken anything while doing that. But, removing the code allowed things like: manual dice rolls; normal and random encounters; random stories; treasure parcels; table output to chat, story or parcel; and a few other nice things.

I had to play around with the frame layout to accommodate the filter fields.

I fixed an issue with adding NPCs to the combat tracker (hit threshold not being passed over).

Vackipleur
November 3rd, 2016, 23:51
Thank you very much Trenloe :)

It works perfectly now

Trenloe
November 4th, 2016, 18:13
And... with a graphical update (thanks so much for putting these together damned):

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16068

(The font is slightly different, but still looks much better than before!)

Attached is the new .pak file - only change from the previous v3.2.0 update is these graphics: encounters, parcels, tables and quests.

Hector Trelane
November 4th, 2016, 20:09
And... with a graphical update (thanks so much for putting these together damned):

You two are the dynamic duo! Thanks

chatty
December 5th, 2016, 05:02
I am at last trying to make this work!

Specifically with the Night's Black Agents extension, which might be the problem. The Health in the upper right of the sheet is uneditable. It is what appears on the CT, and it seems to in no way correlate to the Health skill on the left side of the page.

Am I the only one with this problem? Am I just using the sheet wrong?

Thanks!
C

Vackipleur
December 10th, 2016, 09:49
Use CTRL + Mouse Wheel to modify the small numbers for Health, Sanity, Stability.

chatty
December 10th, 2016, 14:06
This works to increase the number in the box (current value), but not the small number above it (Max value). And in any case the numbers can't be raised high enough to match the numbers on the sheet. I'm gonna see if I can figure that out.

Trenloe
December 10th, 2016, 15:24
CTRL+Mousewheel should work on the little number to the top right of the box too. Just be precise on where the mouse cursor is.

chatty
December 10th, 2016, 20:03
Thanks Trenloe and Vackipleur! It DOES work. Now to figure out how to add a weapon!

Hector Trelane
December 10th, 2016, 20:59
Thanks Trenloe and Vackipleur! It DOES work. Now to figure out how to add a weapon!

Weapons prob will require a manual entry or the bonus on the modifier
stack in the bottom left.

chatty
December 10th, 2016, 21:25
Weapons prob will require a manual entry or the bonus on the modifier
stack in the bottom left.

We weren't able to get something to act like a weapon. Does the ruleset support the idea of dropping an "attack roll" on the target to see if you hit it (comparing it to Hit Threshold)? Or is combat mostly manual? I am OK with manual, but it'd be good to know and I don't know how to tell!

chatty
December 10th, 2016, 21:29
Also I love your Avatar!

damned
December 10th, 2016, 22:45
From memory there wasnt much in the way of Combat Tracker automation. Possibly none...

chatty
December 11th, 2016, 17:18
From memory there wasnt much in the way of Combat Tracker automation. Possibly none...

Thanks!

Hector Trelane
March 16th, 2018, 07:50

chatty, I figured it out: create Modifiers, as pictured in the screen shot. You can then click on them as appropriate. You can see they stack as they should with pool spends. (My terminology doesn't necessarily square with game terms, but you get the idea.)

Edit: One of the modified rolls depicted in my example image don't accurately follow GUMSHOE rules (you don't add weapon damage to a to hit roll), but this can all be done properly; see post #101 in this thread.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22643

Hector Trelane
May 17th, 2018, 19:31
Does the ruleset support the idea of dropping an "attack roll" on the target to see if you hit it (comparing it to Hit Threshold)?

Just checked this. The answer is, "no."

You can drag PCs and NPCs to the Combat Tracker, and from there to a Battlemap (Image with layers turned on and a grid depicted). You can use the built-in CoreRPG targeting and facing features. But even when one character properly targets another, I couldn't get the roll (by any of the various means) to automatically apply to the target, much less factor in Hit Threshold (currently not appearing on the Combat Tracker).

Workaround for a Damage Roll: To provide for a damage roll, I added a new "skill" to the General Skills section that I labelled "DAMAGE" and left the Rating and Pool at 0. Dragging from or double clicking the Pool field will produce a properly-labelled "DAMAGE" roll in the Chat Window (which can be modified by Weapon and Armor modifiers, enterable in the "Modifiers" GM tool in the top right of the screen). This work around therefore enables you to conduct accurate Damage as well as To Hit (Skill) rolls. But you'll have to calculate for yourself whether To Hit rolls actually hit and manually apply any damage received.

Edit: Here is an image of a modifier set up for The Esoterrorists for use as I describe above.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23505

CthulhuRol
December 27th, 2018, 18:26
Good afternoon:
I'm trying to translate the RULESET into spanish but I'm incapable of having the skills translated appear on the character sheet.
I have modified the file "strings_toc.xml" but nothing happens. I tried to dive through all the files to see if the key was in the MANAGER ERA like in the COC RULESET but I have not been lucky. I have modified skills that appears in "campaigns/scripts/skillmanager" but only I could add new skills, so old in english remained in the sheet.
Could anyone help me?

LordEntrails
December 27th, 2018, 19:37
Good afternoon:
I'm trying to translate the RULESET into spanish but I'm incapable of having the skills translated appear on the character sheet.
I have modified the file "strings_toc.xml" but nothing happens. I tried to dive through all the files to see if the key was in the MANAGER ERA like in the COC RULESET but I have not been lucky. I have modified skills that appears in "campaigns/scripts/skillmanager" but only I could add new skills, so old in english remained in the sheet.
Could anyone help me?
Have you checked out the LPAK community project? Start there.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27202-LanguagePak-(LPak)-Community-Project-Program

CthulhuRol
December 27th, 2018, 19:41
Have you checked out the LPAK community project? Start there.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27202-LanguagePak-(LPak)-Community-Project-Program

Yes. I have made some translation before, but this ruleset is not in LPAK community.

Hector Trelane
January 9th, 2019, 13:53
Hi players, if you want to join a one shot adventure using this rule set for a session of Esoterrorists as part of FGDaze on Jan 19, you can sign up here!: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47362-FGDaze-Learn-to-play-GUMSHOE-The-Esoterrorists-Six-Packed&p=421358#post421358

Mask_of_winter
August 2nd, 2019, 02:07
Am I missing an update? I'm using the 2016 update by Damned. Every time I tried to update char sheet information in this tab I get the following errors.
Ruleset Error: window: Control(buildpts) anchoring to an undefined control (weight) in windowclass (charsheet_personal)
Ruleset Error: window: Control(buildpts) anchoring to an undefined control (weight) in windowclass (charsheet_personal)

damned
August 2nd, 2019, 02:12
Hey Mask

No one has done much with this ruleset since then.
Its most likely a change in CoreRPG that has caused this.
You might look at this alternate - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47731-Trail-of-Cthulhu-Full-working-ruleset

Mask_of_winter
August 2nd, 2019, 02:23
Thank you, Damian!

Hector Trelane
August 2nd, 2019, 02:35
Hey Mask

No one has done much with this ruleset since then.
Its most likely a change in CoreRPG that has caused this.
You might look at this alternate - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47731-Trail-of-Cthulhu-Full-working-ruleset

And it’s a fine-looking ruleset too—check this out!:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48874-FG-Con-14-Screenshots&p=433502&viewfull=1#post433502

seycyrus
August 2nd, 2019, 03:05
I grabbed CoC as part of the FGU kickstarter, but haven't had a chance to look at it all that much. How does ToC differ from CoC?

damned
August 2nd, 2019, 03:51
I grabbed CoC as part of the FGU kickstarter, but haven't had a chance to look at it all that much. How does ToC differ from CoC?

I run and play both.
The theme/setting/genre is very similar for both but Trail probably leans a little more towards the Pulp and of the spectrum but both ToC and CoC have specific Pulp variant rules that make the players tougher and more heroic...

Call of Cthulhu is the original and the big daddy in its genre.

I probably shouldnt say this but I tend towards liking ToC more due to the way the rules specifically assist investigation whereas the CoC rules can be a little arbitrary. A good keeper will ensure you have multiple opportunities to find the essential clues while in ToC you will always get given the absolute essential clues.

CoC on FG is definitely a much more robust and polished product than ToC is.
If you do give ToC a run also have a look at the MoreCore+Extension I linked above.
Ive also played+run ToC using this ruleset but I think a few errors have crept in as CoreRPG has evolved.

Hector Trelane
August 2nd, 2019, 05:47

Differences:

1930s era instead of 1920s for base setting;
a get-the-rules-out-of-the-way philosophy, alluded to by damned and described here: “Trail of Cthulhu is an award-winning 1930s horror roleplaying game by Kenneth Hite, produced under license from Chaosium. Whether you’re playing in two-fisted Pulp mode or sanity-shredding Purist mode, its GUMSHOE system enables taut, thrilling investigative adventures where the challenge is in interpreting clues, not finding them.“
scenario design that allows multiple paths through the adventure and and emulates investigations/mysteries (but maybe this isn’t a difference in all cases).

Similarities:

Subject matter and tone are identical or nearly so
Call and Trail material can be converted from one system to the other.

It should also be noted that there are different builds of the core GUMSHOE rule system: it gets tweaked and optimized for each setting published. Cthulu Confidential’s one-2-one rules introduced the most innovation, and the game author has hinted he’d simplify GUMSHOE further by incorporating most of these changes if he built a new edition from the ground up.

I probably shouldnt say this but I tend towards liking ToC more due to the way the rules specifically assist investigation whereas the CoC rules can be a little arbitrary. A good keeper will ensure you have multiple opportunities to find the essential clues while in ToC you will always get given the absolute essential clues.

I have heard this same assessment from players and a GM talking at a live con: once you switch to Trail (really the streamlined playstyle built into the GUMSHOE rules) the advantages show themselves strongly and it’s hard to go back. (I would just convert Call material to Trail rules.)

Hector Trelane
October 29th, 2019, 20:07
For all interested, also see this thread to a MoreCore version of Trail of Cthulu, currently supported: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47731-Trail-of-Cthulhu-Full-working-ruleset&highlight=trail+cthulu

Melioch54
May 3rd, 2021, 00:49
Any data modules existing ?

damned
May 3rd, 2021, 00:50
No - all content is copyright.

Melioch54
May 3rd, 2021, 00:51
Ok, thanks !