PDA

View Full Version : New Mass Effect D20 Campaign

Salz78
April 23rd, 2014, 20:05
Hello all! I will be starting a Mass Effect campaign, this weekend actually.

The ruleset we will be using is a highly customized D20. We are using a book that has been written and extensively playtested by a group of Mass Effect fans. However, this will be my first time running this ruleset so expect there to be some growing pains, some (bad) GM judgments, etc.

Who We Are: A group of guys in their mid 30's who've been friends for 20 years (longer in some cases). We are all grown up now with real jobs (one of us is an engineer, I direct student support services at a college, another builds scoreboards for gyms and stadiums) and live in different states, so playing D&D online is how we still spend time and hang out together. We've been playing D&D online for a few years now, but I'm a huge Mass Effect fan and once I found this ruleset I jumped at the chance to start a campaign. We're very closeknit best friends, so the idea of letting someone into our campaign is something we've been tossing around. We're all nerds of course - Marvel movies, video games, Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings - we have varied interests. We're all very friendly and willing to help people. If you have trouble with the rules, we'll stop the game and take a minute to help you work through it, not just tell you to go read the book. Some nights we get more stuff done than other nights, just varies.

What We're Playing: Mass Effect on a customized D20 ruleset. The campaign starts right at the beginning of Mass Effect 3 with the Reaper invasion. The campaign will run parallel to Shepard's quest to save the galaxy. This campaign focuses on a special forces group made up of various races that has been assembled by the Citadel Council. The party, under the direction of an old Spectre, is sent on missions throughout the galaxy to help in the war effort. Players will take part in some of the major events of the game but will also be running brand new missions and story arcs.

How We Play: We use Fantasy Grounds 2 and the Mass Effect D20 rulebook which can be found here: https://masseffectd20.freeforums.org/med20-pdf-links-t512.html
All characters start at level 4. If you are accepted into the campaign then characters and backgrounds will need to be approved by the GM. We will be using Dolby or Vent voice chat. You don't have to talk, but you need to be able to at least listen, since we do a lot of voice chat. Though we would like you talk. We're not just looking for a player, we'd certainly like to make a new friend!

What We Have Currently: Turian - Turian Agent (like an infiltrator), Quarian - Vanguard, Salarian - Engineer
Don't worry about what anyone else is playing, having more than one of the same class is not an issue.

What We're Looking For: Someone who will fit really well into our group. It has to be a good fit for us and for you. We tell a lot jokes while playing (not all of them kid-friendly), make fun of each other, have a ton of OOC chat. We don't curse too much, but do on occasion. We really just enjoy hanging out and playing. We do sometimes discuss rules if we have a disagreement about a ruling, but it's always civil. If a ruling is made, we all accept it and move on without getting upset. We'd like someone for the long haul. Plans will be to run this campaign to level 20 at least, and may keep going or start a new ME campaign after that. For example, one of our D&D campaigns has now been running nearly two years.

When We Play: 1-2 times per month minimum. We usually start between 7-8 EST and generally finish up between 12-1 EST. We either play on Friday or Saturday (usually Friday) but sometimes on Saturdays if it works better for everyone's schedules.

If You're Absent: We'll run you as an NPC or leave you aboard the ship, depending on what you prefer.

If you're interested: you can post here or shoot me a message. We're starting this weekend, but if you aren't able to start on such short notice you're fine. We can catch you up next time we play. We don't want to rush into accepting someone unless we're sure it's a good fit for both parties. We have tools to help you get accustomed to the rules. I maintain a Dropbox account with a lot of picture files of characters, weapons, armor, maps, etc. We also have the book, a pdf character sheet, and an amazing excel character sheet that does a ton of the calculations for you on the new mechanics.

Hope to hear from some ME fans. If you have questions about me, the group, the campaign, or the ruleset then don't hesitate to ask! If you read all this and think you might fit in with us, go ahead and post a background or character idea if you have one.

Right now we're looking for 1 player, though I could bump that to 2 if the perfect fits happen to come along.

-Nate

damned
April 23rd, 2014, 23:10
good luck - sounds like fun.

Salz78
April 23rd, 2014, 23:14
Thanks damned! Whether we find another player or not, I'm excited, should be a blast.

Andrepartthree
April 27th, 2014, 22:52
What a novel idea :) ... Mass Effect in my opinion is one of the best PC games out there :) ... hope you find a player who's a good fit for you ;)

Dr_Babylon
April 28th, 2014, 01:22
I concur. It is an interesting setting with well-established elements but there is so much room for adaptation. Your proposal is quite informative but also rather agreeable. I am certain someone meeting your criteria will rise to the occasion.

Starcrawler
April 28th, 2014, 19:13
Sent you a PM :).

Salz78
May 3rd, 2014, 02:33
Thanks for the support guys! The book is really good (aside from some language issues) and does a good job at incorporating a lot from the game. Sorry Starcrawler, just saw your message. I will respond shortly. Glad for your interest!

Salz78
May 3rd, 2014, 02:34
Just noticed I have several pms actually. Sorry, FG normally sends me an e-mail when this thread updates, not sure why it didn't. I'll respond to all pms this weekend.

TheShroud
May 5th, 2014, 15:17
I am interested but I don't get home till 8pm est genrally. If you are still looking let me know I love this series of games and would love to join.

Salz78
May 5th, 2014, 17:55
Hey guys, sorry, I don't get around to answering those PMs this weekend. Weekend turned out busier than I planned. I'll get to work on responding to them today. Thanks for all the interest.

Salz78
May 7th, 2014, 00:34
Just an update, I've got about 5 pms so far. So I don't want to get anyone's hopes up. For the moment though I will work with the five people who've contacted me to see which might be the best fit. If it doesn't work out, or we decide to add more players, I'll be sure to update. Thanks a lot!

fatalnightshade
May 10th, 2014, 18:08
if any of the people being tested don't match with the group i would love to try i absolutely love mass effect ^-^ and im willing to learn a new rule set