PDA

View Full Version : Exporting and Accessing an Adventure Module

gmkieran
April 22nd, 2014, 02:02
*sigh* I thought I'd been keeping up on the new functionality, but as I'm taking over the reins of DM for my group again I'm finding I can't even manage to activate a module I've exported any more. Still working under the theory that it's better to have a campaign to which your players connect and individual modules which contain the story entries, NPCs, treasure, maps, encounters, etc., so I built that (kinda - having trouble finding the NPCs & Monsters I want to use in the 3.5/PFSRD books, but that's a separate issue) and exported it, but it won't appear in my list of available modules to open in the main campaign.

Running 3.0.3 FG Full license, current version of 3.5 built on Core+

active extensions: Exanded NPC weapons (typo not mine), 3.5e/PF Languages, Ability Damage Action Expanded Effects Tags, Alignment Conditions, Enhanced Items, Expanded Effects Tags and Formatted Notes (CoreRPG+) (Note, languages was not active in my source module, but is active in the campaign.)

Have verified that export created the .mod file in the modules folder and a file in the Campaigns folder. How do I access the .mod from my main campaign? (I did try searching the forums and the wiki, but the terms I need come up almost everywhere, so didn't find anything useful.)

Thanks, as always!
GMK

Moon Wizard
April 22nd, 2014, 02:16
You should be able to turn on/off modules using Modules button inside the Library window.

Records from exported modules are added as tabs on each campaign list (stories, images, NPCs, ...).

Should be the same as before, except modules button moved into Library.

Cheers,
JPG

Trenloe
April 22nd, 2014, 05:43
active extensions: Exanded NPC weapons (typo not mine), 3.5e/PF Languages, Ability Damage Action Expanded Effects Tags, Alignment Conditions, Enhanced Items, Expanded Effects Tags and Formatted Notes (CoreRPG+)
On a separate note (as I don't think this is related to your issue) you no longer need the formatted notes extension as this is built into CoreRPG in 3.0.3.

Trenloe
April 22nd, 2014, 05:45
(kinda - having trouble finding the NPCs & Monsters I want to use in the 3.5/PFSRD books, but that's a separate issue)
Are you aware of the Pathfinder creature parser? There is a new version that adds spell parsing: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20522-Pathfinder-Creature-Parser-V2-Beta-Version

gmkieran
April 22nd, 2014, 16:09
Thank you for the replies and information, gentlemen, as always! Moon, the module I exported is not appearing the module activation window for me to activate, thus my confusion. The documentation of the /export fields isn't terribly clear on what actually goes in those fields. I entered what I wanted as the owner name, gave it a file name that is not the same as the campaign name (if that makes a difference), left the module type blank once and labeled it as "Campaign" once (in case THAT made a difference), and left the selection of things to export a the default A(ll). Did I do something wrong that's preventing FG from recognizing it as a valid module for 3.5? (note, I'm running 3.5, not PF, but both the campaign and the module reflect that).

Nice to know I can turn that one off, Trenloe! Fewer things to potentially have issues with. I'm aware of the parser, but haven't looked at it (my luck with previous parsers wasn't stellar) for this particular problem. Partly, some of the monsters I want are 4e additions (minions, oddball extraplanar beings, etc.) that I need to translate and some are variations on things that do exist, but 3.5 doesn't have a template for in the OGL (low-, medium- and high-level priestesses, custom multi-class henchmen, lurkers above and other abyssal/underdark critters). I don't know that it will be any easier to build a file to parse than it would to just build the 30-odd NPCs in FG. And, per usual, part of the problem is finding decent tokens for them. Despite having all of Devin Knight's fantasy sets, plus a few dozen others I've tracked down across the web, I still don't have a token for every creature I want to use (and I don't like the side-view art DDI uses for tokens). I'll take a look at the parser, just to be sure I'm not doing more work than I need to.

Cheers!

Trenloe
April 22nd, 2014, 16:28
and left the selection of things to export a the default A(ll).
When you say you left the selection of "Exported Data" to default - did you put any checks/ticks under the "A" column - i.e. selected some actual data to export?

If you don't make any selection, a blank module will be exported and this does not show up in the Module Activation screen.

EDIT: Some documentation on the export window here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library#Module_Export

Griogre
April 22nd, 2014, 17:00
For completeness, for module activation of modules with tokens - you now activate the module in the Token button not in the library button.

gmkieran
April 24th, 2014, 16:36
Thanks, Trenloe and Griogre! I probably did export a blank module (the impression I got from the tool tips was that the default behavior is to export everything if nothing is selected, clearly that's not the case). However, the module will contain tokens when I'm done, so it's nice to know it will show up in the Token module activation, rather than the regular module activation when I get it right. That seems counter-intuitive, btw. I would expect modules that contain only tokens to show up in the token activation, but modules that contain information in addition to tokens should, at very least, show up in both screens (really, I would expect them in Module activation, not Tokens, but both would be better than just under Tokens). Is there a functional reason for that oddity?

Cheers!
GMK

Trenloe
April 24th, 2014, 16:45
That seems counter-intuitive, btw. I would expect modules that contain only tokens to show up in the token activation, but modules that contain information in addition to tokens should, at very least, show up in both screens (really, I would expect them in Module activation, not Tokens, but both would be better than just under Tokens).
That is the way it works - if there are any campaign entries in the module it will turn up in module activation under the library, if there are any tokens in the module it will be under Token Module Activation. If there are tokens *and* campaign entries then the module can be activated under either the library or the token module activation window - and you just have to activate it once in either place to see all of the module content.

gmkieran
April 25th, 2014, 14:47
Thanks, again, Trenloe! Having to activate twice seems silly, but not onerous.

Cheers!
GMK

damned
April 25th, 2014, 15:47
You only need to activate it once - you can do it in either location if it has tokens and stories.

Griogre
April 25th, 2014, 19:52
Yeah I should have mention I meant that if a module *only* has tokens you have to activate by first pushing the tokens button.

gmkieran
April 29th, 2014, 14:13
Thanks, fellas! Successfully exported and accessed. Just need to go back and add a few details and I'll be ready to run tonight!

cheers!
GMK