PDA

View Full Version : Theme modification

viresanimi
April 18th, 2014, 20:06
MOD: Moved to a new thread.

True. But if I unzip the Dungeon theme (for instance) half the graphical files are not present. I seem to be able to change the background and the chatbox and a few other things. And that is about it. I would like access to all the graphical elements in Core. Not much point in making a sci-fi skin if the scrollboxes looks like paper eh? *smile*

I am sure this is something that is easy to see / fix for people that understand coding. But I don't. I know. I've tried! My brain melts heheheh

Vires Animi

Trenloe
April 18th, 2014, 20:16
True. But if I unzip the Dungeon theme (for instance) half the graphical files are not present. I seem to be able to change the background and the chatbox and a few other things. And that is about it. I would like access to all the graphical elements in Core. Not much point in making a sci-fi skin if the scrollboxes looks like paper eh? *smile*

I am sure this is something that is easy to see / fix for people that understand coding. But I don't. I know. I've tried! My brain melts heheheh
What these extensions do is replace the graphical objects that are underlying in the ruleset being used, and they only replace the graphics that are changing the ones that are not changing are loaded from the base ruleset - hence you don't see all objects in the extension, just the ones that are being changed. If you want to change a graphics file of CoreRPG in an extension just put your changed graphics file with the same name in the same directory within the extension as it is in the CoreRPG ruleset.

Have a look at the wood theme extension and compare this to the dungeon theme extension, and the underlying CoreRPG ruleset, you can see where one extension changes a graphics file where another doesn't and will just use the underlying CoreRPG graphics file.

viresanimi
April 18th, 2014, 20:53
Right... so... I figured out that I've tried to modify a version of Dungeon Theme that is older than the CoreRPG. I.e. the old version and not the new one.

So I've made a copy of the wood theme, renamed it and I can change stuff in it. I can even make it work for the Vampire ruleset.

However there is still one thing I am missing. I can't seem to change the sidebar, even if the folder / filenames are identical to the Core RPG. I can see that there are some XML files for fonts, frames, icons, portraits, and radial (in the extension). I have a feeling that I need to find the one's for taps and sidebar somewhere?

Vires Animi

Trenloe
April 18th, 2014, 20:56
However there is still one thing I am missing. I can't seem to change the sidebar, even if the folder / filenames are identical to the Core RPG. I can see that there are some XML files for fonts, frames, icons, portraits, and radial (in the extension). I have a feeling that I need to find the one's for taps and sidebar somewhere?
What are you trying to change in the sidebar?

viresanimi
April 18th, 2014, 21:08
Ah.. you moved it. Very sensible. Couldn't find it for a while...

I just want to change the graphics for the buttons.

Also. I am basically working of wood theme and adapting it. I've changed the "scrollbox.png" file in the frames section. And as far as I can see it should be changed, but it doesn't. I am quite mystified by that.

EDIT: I am also looking to change the eh... "banners" in the taps folder.

Trenloe
April 18th, 2014, 21:19
Stupid question, but I have to ask to be sure... you are reloading your campaign each time you make a change? Type /reload in the chat window.

Also, have you changed the name of the extension you're modifying? Then you load the extension with the modified name when you start your campaign? This will make sure that you are actually loading your changed and not an unmodified extension.

How are you working on your extension? Did you extract the files to a folder in \extensions or are you zipping up the .ext file each time?

viresanimi
April 18th, 2014, 21:29
I have made a copy of the wood-theme. Unzipped it. Renamed the folder and changed the name in the "extension.xml", so FG can see it is another skin.

I then have changed graphical files in the frames folder, which all seem to work - except the "scrollbox.png". Which confuses me, because I can see the graphics_frames.xml seem to point to that file. Yet it doesn't change.

And yes. I do /reload and often shut down FG completely to make sure that it is a fresh restart.

Trenloe
April 18th, 2014, 21:40
You're working off a new campaign using only the CoreRPG ruleset and your modified extension, nothing else?

viresanimi
April 18th, 2014, 22:09
Yep

Trenloe
April 18th, 2014, 22:25
The issue is with the base wood theme. In graphics\graphics_frames.xml the framedef "scrollboxfortabs" is an old definition that is not used in CoreRPG.

Change <framedef name="scrollboxfortabs"> to <framedef name="campaignlistwithtabs"> and this should then use the scrollbox.png defined in the extension.

viresanimi
April 18th, 2014, 22:31
That works. No way I could ever figure that out. Thanks.

Nickademus
April 19th, 2014, 06:24
EDIT: I am also looking to change the eh... "banners" in the taps folder.

These?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20375-New-Tab-Icons

viresanimi
April 19th, 2014, 09:38
No. I meant the banners on the scrollbox that says "Story" "Encounters" and so on. I just want to get my hands on everything and mix it up!

viresanimi
May 16th, 2014, 17:45
Right. So...

Earthworm3's inclusion of the xml files that let me change the look of his wonderful WoD ruleset gave me the idea, that I could steal the "graphics_*" xml files and use them for making skins in CoreRPG (and WoD of course). Took a bit of figuring out but hey... it is a glorious thing.

Now. Just for clarification: I take it that the optimal thing would be - when I've finished a skin - is to remove any image from the skin that I have not changed. I.e. it is still the same as in CoreRPG. The reason being that the programme will simply just use the original one and save loading time.

Am I correct in assuming that this would be a good idea?

And many thanks for the good responses and help!

Vires Animi

Trenloe
May 16th, 2014, 18:01
Now. Just for clarification: I take it that the optimal thing would be - when I've finished a skin - is to remove any image from the skin that I have not changed. I.e. it is still the same as in CoreRPG. The reason being that the programme will simply just use the original one and save loading time.

Am I correct in assuming that this would be a good idea?
Yes, that would be a good idea. :) It will keep the size of the extension down and make maintenance of the extension easier.