PDA

View Full Version : NEW Shadowrun Campaign

deathwish47
April 8th, 2014, 03:12
Update: Some players have gone inactive and their spots are about to be open to new players. If you want to join, please make sure the time of the campaign works for you before applying. Submit your character concept to me via Fantasy Grounds Private Message.

Campaign:
2078, in the heart of Seattle. It’s a dark, cold, damp place. The world is yours to shape. The flow of time and economics is at your fingertips. The world reacts to what the players do. It is a wide open free running campaign and every choice you make has consequences, good or bad.
This campaign is for serious players that have the time to commit to it. Time and dates will be set up once we have a decent size of players interested. The ruleset is shadowrun 4E. The book will be provided.
The game will be 1/3 combat 1/3 RP/planning 1/3 RP/exploring + new contact acquiring. Game progression will be 1 week in game after each session (3-4 hours) UNLESS a chapter is not completed.
Please contact me via Fantasy Grounds messaging system if you would like to join or have any questions. (Deathwish47)

"Down time" mode: Character down time is the time between sessions. This time is represented via forums (epic words) and accounts for buying/repairing gear, planning for the next mission, or just talking to other player characters. XP is awarded to players who use this system. UPDATE: I have so far liked this system and I believe a couple of the players like it as well. Props to Andrepartthree for coming up with the concept.

Ruleset: Shadowrun 4th edition, FG V.8
Date and Time: Wednesdays 6pm to 9pm PST
Slots Available: 0
License Needed to Play: None; host is ultimate licensed.

Roles The Party Could Use:
Any tech savvy repairer/constructor

Questions Asked (With Answers):

- Do you live in the USA or Canada or a European country?

I live in UTC -0:800 (Pacific time) however, I work nights so I could play both sides of the coin. I have played with Europeans and because my time slot is different from the average working day, it worked out quiet well. I have not determined what time or dates this game will be on, but I will have a ballpark after a greater number of people interested.

- is the game run via voice-chat, text, some combination of the two? Which method is used to determine what's said in-character and out of character?

All FG chat will be considered in character. I will have a voice-chat that we will use to better plan missions with while talking out of character and anything said in 3rd person will be considered in character.

- how much emphasis is there on role-play/getting into character vs the crunchy nitty-gritty "solve the mission/kill the enemy" sort of thing? Judging from asking for a character backstory I'm guessing you do put a certain degree of emphasis on role-play (which in my humble opinion is a good thing ;) ) ... but how " far " do you take it?

The emphasis will be based on what the population wants. If they want it more combat oriented then it will be. If people want to play out there characters and develop a story, than by all means they should do so.
As for me, I want players to develop a story. It is the aspect of GMing that I like/love the most. That being said, I understand that it can be frustrating when your character isn't doing much because someone else has the spot light. What better way to counter that with a little combat so everyone gets in the light.
In the game, it is up to the players to rp and try to do many things, such as talk up negotiations, barter prices, try to make new contacts, etc. All character intros will be role played.
As for your "soap opera" idea, it is 100% do-able. The plan is for one session each week, after the sessions a week IN GAME will have gone by, and any number of interactions could happen in that time which I would use your idea to implement, if I have your consent (it is your idea).

Blackfoot
April 8th, 2014, 07:07
I am interested.

viresanimi
April 8th, 2014, 07:09
Flag me as being interested. However I am on Central European Time, sooo...

I love the whole universe, but never gotten around to actually learning the rules. Is that a major problem?

Vires Animi

deathwish47
April 8th, 2014, 07:09
I am interested.
I assume you have a character concept in mind.

Questions for you:
What is your characters goals?
What are you looking for in a shadowrun game?
Every character has the possibility of dying. If your character was going to die, how would you want him to die? (this question is to guide me on how you want this game to run)

I prefer that this be moved to PM if that is acceptable to you.

deathwish47
April 8th, 2014, 07:12
-snip-

deathwish47
April 8th, 2014, 07:14
Flag me as being interested. However I am on Central European Time, sooo...

I love the whole universe, but never gotten around to actually learning the rules. Is that a major problem?

Vires Animi

No time has been decided at this time. I have posted a reply, but it is waiting for moderator approval because it holds a link.
-Post was denied- You will have to look up the rule set. Sorry.

Garignak
April 8th, 2014, 09:16
What is shadowrun?

deathwish47
April 8th, 2014, 14:42
What is shadowrun?
Shadowrun is a 6 sided dice ruleset that takes place on future earth(2070s). In this world, magic and technology collide, creating epic stories. Players are shadowrunners, people who do the dirty work of corporations, mafias/gangs or law officers to make money. People started to evolve into meta humans (elfs, dwarfs, orcs, etc) ... That some it up. I think?

Andrepartthree
April 8th, 2014, 15:17
Shadowrun is a 6 sided dice ruleset that takes place on future earth(2070s). In this world, magic and technology collide, creating epic stories. Players are shadowrunners, people who do the dirty work of corporations, mafias/gangs or law officers to make money. People started to evolve into meta humans (elfs, dwarfs, orcs, etc) ... That some it up. I think?

I remember reading the shadowrun book from waaaayyyy back like many years ago I'm sure they've updated it since then :P ... still I remember thinking it looked like a lot of fun ... they had this cool alternate history thing that took place on Earth where magic came back with a vengeance along with the re-emergence of other races (trying to remember, I think elves and... big ugly type guys trolls? Orcs? ... both?), I think they started out as being born from human parents but were "mutants" and... went on to form their own race? Like I said years ago so my recollections more than likely have several holes in it ;) ... I recall the Native Indians welcoming the return of magic and using shamanistic magic to enact what some would consider a well-justified revenge on those who had stolen their land so many centuries ago... cyber-hackers worked alongside those who used magic primarily to enhance their physical attributes ("bruiser" types) but of course you had people who used cyber-implants for the same becoming more physically-potent types of beings too... I got a kick out of the shadowrun version of the Klu Klux Klan, they didn't care about the color of a person's skin anymore - or as the book put it " Who cares what color a human's skin is when that THING over there " (insert non-human orc or troll or what not here ) ..... so human supremacists instead... don't get the wrong impression either I hate the KKK like I'm sure most sane people do but... it was a fun twist to see potential bad guys in the campaign setting based on "real life scum" so to speak... Not sure how much of all that still applies?

A few ?'s

- Do you live in the USA or Canada or a European country? It gives some idea of the time zone you're in - if you could post the time zone you're in too it helps interested players immediately determine if it's a game they can feasibly make in the first place (or to put it another way if they're living on the opposite end of the world and have a 12 hour time difference ;) )

- is the game run via voice-chat, text, some combination of the two? Which method is used to determine what's said in-character and out of character? This helps players who are slow typists vs fast typists and players who have a strong preference for voice or chat figure out right away if the game is for them or not ;) ...

- how much emphasis is there on role-play/getting into character vs the crunchy nitty-gritty "solve the mission/kill the enemy" sort of thing? Judging from asking for a character backstory I'm guessing you do put a certain degree of emphasis on role-play (which in my humble opinion is a good thing ;) ) ... but how " far " do you take it? For example I really, REALLY love the whole getting-into-character part of the game to the point where I'll get unhappy and leave the campaign if I don't have at least 2 or 3 other people who are also really into the whole RP'ing thing I can interact with :( - I'm also very fond of setting up a forum where we can post out-of-character "soap opera" in depth role playing interaction with each other PC to PC (not stuff that has a "real" impact on the game per se I wouldn't expect combat or "find the clue that helps you in the mission" type stuff to take place on the forum :P ... more the whole emotional/getting to know other PC's kind of thing ;) ) ... but there are other players who balk at the thought of writing up a detailed physical description of their PC let alone a back-story of any sort who would never dream of forum RP and who get annoyed when they feel too much RP'ing is taking place "in-game" (have gamed with them before ) ... is it the type of game where the GM would be ok with several minutes of nothing but RP'ing/PC to PC conversation going on during an FG game session? Or would that be considered to be "holding up" the game for too long? (some GM's love this sort of thing, others get impatient with it)...

deathwish47
April 8th, 2014, 16:30
A few ?'s

I moved your questions to the OP with answers.

KainVorador
April 9th, 2014, 01:19
I'm interested in this game. Been looking for a Shadowrun game for a long time. Character concept is simple - Elven Decker with an emphasis on challenging mercenary work. Good or evil doesn't matter. Just getting paid matters. Get in, do the job, get out. Get paid. Spend money. Find a new challenge. I prefer a roleplay heavier game, but I'm just as well rolling the dice with everyone else. But min-maxing isn't my thing.

If my character was to die, I'd want him to die jacked into the Matrix. Sure, being brain-burnt isn't the most pleasant way to go, but atleast he'd be in his element and being tested.

deathwish47
April 9th, 2014, 01:38
I'm interested in this game. Been looking for a Shadowrun game for a long time. Character concept is simple - Elven Decker with an emphasis on challenging mercenary work. Good or evil doesn't matter. Just getting paid matters. Get in, do the job, get out. Get paid. Spend money. Find a new challenge. I prefer a roleplay heavier game, but I'm just as well rolling the dice with everyone else. But min-maxing isn't my thing.

If my character was to die, I'd want him to die jacked into the Matrix. Sure, being brain-burnt isn't the most pleasant way to go, but atleast he'd be in his element and being tested.

This game will be heavy RP with a sub-forum to RP between sessions. I will award Karma (XP) for players who use this system.
I also PMed you a couple of questions.

Blackfoot
April 9th, 2014, 01:43
I'm looking at playing an AmerIndian Adept, very spiritual with an aversion to Tech.

deathwish47
April 9th, 2014, 01:48
I'm looking at playing an AmerIndian Adept, very spiritual with an aversion to Tech.

What is your character's motivation?
What made he become a shadowrunner?

Blackfoot
April 9th, 2014, 02:02
What is your character's motivation?
What made he become a shadowrunner?
I would have him there on a personal mission (the exact details of which I would work out with you) an outcast from the reservation until he can regain his honor by completing the task.
The basic build is an outdoorsman/stalker/bow and enchanted tomahawk fighter. Uneducated in the ways of the city so he'll need help to do what he needs to do.
I built him with a Mentor Spirit to help guide him...

viresanimi
April 9th, 2014, 02:04
If I could participate, I would play an elven gunslinger adept.

Being magically gifted would be the ticket out of the slums and the chance for a pay day instead of starving. Motivation would be monetary, but with a certain moral code. Being among the poor and downtrodden, one can wish for a bit more fairness and loyalty in life.

Combat isn't that important to me really. I just love the world and would like to experience how others view and play in it. Roleplaying my character and being part of a team, would be the thing for me. Solving puzzles is a good as combat if you ask me.

If my character were to die, it would be in a subterranean room in the corporate archology, which the wageslaves would be horried to know existed. Such intruments of torture. I would die after spitting blood in the corporate Johnson's face, telling that I would never rat on my friends. A nine mill migraine would follow....

Vires Animi

deathwish47
April 9th, 2014, 02:18
If I could participate, I would play an elven gunslinger adept.

Being magically gifted would be the ticket out of the slums and the chance for a pay day instead of starving. Motivation would be monetary, but with a certain moral code. Being among the poor and downtrodden, one can wish for a bit more fairness and loyalty in life.

Combat isn't that important to me really. I just love the world and would like to experience how others view and play in it. Roleplaying my character and being part of a team, would be the thing for me. Solving puzzles is a good as combat if you ask me.

If my character were to die, it would be in a subterranean room in the corporate archology, which the wageslaves would be horried to know existed. Such intruments of torture. I would die after spitting blood in the corporate Johnson's face, telling that I would never rat on my friends. A nine mill migraine would follow....

Vires Animi

I love the death ;) I PMed you with a couple of questions.

deathwish47
April 9th, 2014, 02:46
I would have him there on a personal mission (the exact details of which I would work out with you) an outcast from the reservation until he can regain his honor by completing the task.
The basic build is an outdoorsman/stalker/bow and enchanted tomahawk fighter. Uneducated in the ways of the city so he'll need help to do what he needs to do.
I built him with a Mentor Spirit to help guide him...
What time zone are you in and when are you able to play?
Hopefully you will allow your character to know how to use a commlink. It would be hard to get in contact with him without it. If not, that's alright. Makes for a good, hard hook.

Blackfoot
April 9th, 2014, 04:21
What time zone are you in and when are you able to play?
Hopefully you will allow your character to know how to use a commlink. It would be hard to get in contact with him without it. If not, that's alright. Makes for a good, hard hook.
I'm in Eastern Time.
Tuesday or Wednesday Nights are best for me... but I can work an earlier slot at least for the short term.
Weekends tend to be busy with 'real life' stuff.

deathwish47
April 9th, 2014, 06:58
OP updated: Suggested day. No time determined yet. Still waiting on replies.

Garignak
April 9th, 2014, 09:16
I'd love to check this game out if you're ok with a noob?

deathwish47
April 9th, 2014, 09:45
I'd love to check this game out if you're ok with a noob?
Are you new to shadowrun?

Andrepartthree
April 9th, 2014, 16:34
I prefer a roleplay heavier game, but I'm just as well rolling the dice with everyone else. But min-maxing isn't my thing.

At this point KainVorador is probably sick unto death of me publicly praising him every time he posts something on FG but I'm going to say it anyways :P ... I have gamed with him in the past and it was a blast ! :) He did an amazing job (in my humble opinion anyways ;) ) of RP'ing out his character's personality and was one of the few players both willing and able to do role-playing type conversations with me on the forum posts (on the forum we set up for out-of-FG-game-sessions RP'ing) - and, again in my humble opinion, did a wonderful job of it at that ;) ... he had to leave the campaign we were in due to real life stuff that came up on his end and while real life obviously comes first ;) I was damn sorry to see him go :( ... if you're looking for a player who's a good match to the RP heavy campaign you mentioned it would be deathwish, Kain is your guy ;) ..

deathwish47
April 9th, 2014, 16:42
At this point KainVorador is probably sick unto death of me publicly praising him every time he posts something on FG but I'm going to say it anyways :P ... I have gamed with him in the past and it was a blast ! :) He did an amazing job (in my humble opinion anyways ;) ) of RP'ing out his character's personality and was one of the few players both willing and able to do role-playing type conversations with me on the forum posts (on the forum we set up for out-of-FG-game-sessions RP'ing) - and, again in my humble opinion, did a wonderful job of it at that ;) ... he had to leave the campaign we were in due to real life stuff that came up on his end and while real life obviously comes first ;) I was damn sorry to see him go :( ... if you're looking for a player who's a good match to the RP heavy campaign you mentioned it would be deathwish, Kain is your guy ;) ..

I am hoping to make this fit that role. I will be doing a forum based off screen type deal. I have a couple of european players that want to play T_T but they can't because of time zones. What I am hoping for is to have them play the part of NPCs on forums if they would be willing to. Possible give them the option of keeping the points they gain in the forums for when I do host an EU game in the future, they can use those points to start with.

deathwish47
April 9th, 2014, 17:05
OP was updated.

Andrepartthree
April 9th, 2014, 18:28
I have a couple of UK players that want to play T_T but they can't because of time zones. What I am hoping for is to have them play the part of NPCs on forums if they would be willing to. Possible give them the option of keeping the points they gain in the forums for when I do host an EU game in the future, they can use those points to start with.

That is a GREAT idea slapping my head for not thinking of it myself waaayyy back when I was GM'ing.. very cool :) ...

This is still waiting on GM approval ;) but ... will be running a female human PC who .. damn my memory it was so many years ago when I read the Shadowrun book ! ... either has cyber-implants or "fleshy" type vat-grown implants (can't remember which shadowrun uses - both?) to make her a "bruiser" type character, melee combat oriented person basically.. grew up on the streets so can be tough as need be but heart of gold underneath (I know I know likely to get her killed in a shadowrun campaign :P she has her reasons ;) ) ... flirtatious as all hell too and has quite a potty-mouth on her ... toying with the idea of making her Spanish assuming that there's still people with spanish accents around in the shadowrun setting :P ...

KainVorador
April 9th, 2014, 19:45
Thanks for the praise, Andre. It's appreciated knowing that my roleplaying was somewhat noteworthy and that someone remembered. I've been around here for a long time.

deathwish47
April 9th, 2014, 20:10
That is a GREAT idea slapping my head for not thinking of it myself waaayyy back when I was GM'ing.. very cool :) ...

This is still waiting on GM approval ;) but ... will be running a female human PC who .. damn my memory it was so many years ago when I read the Shadowrun book ! ... either has cyber-implants or "fleshy" type vat-grown implants (can't remember which shadowrun uses - both?) to make her a "bruiser" type character, melee combat oriented person basically.. grew up on the streets so can be tough as need be but heart of gold underneath (I know I know likely to get her killed in a shadowrun campaign :P she has her reasons ;) ) ... flirtatious as all hell too and has quite a potty-mouth on her ... toying with the idea of making her Spanish assuming that there's still people with spanish accents around in the shadowrun setting :P ...
Why would I stop you from selecting a basic character type? as for Vat grown and cyber implants, the rule set uses both. Every language is open to use.

Garignak
April 9th, 2014, 20:54
Are you new to shadowrun?

I am.

Blackfoot
April 9th, 2014, 22:18
I assume we'll be using the FG Teamspeak Server for Voice?

Andrepartthree
April 9th, 2014, 22:21
Why would I stop you from selecting a basic character type? as for Vat grown and cyber implants, the rule set uses both. Every language is open to use.

Well my Shadowrun memory is foggy - it's been a LONG time since I read the book :P - so wasn't sure if my concept was a good "match" for the setting ;) ... also wasn't sure if there are still humans who identify themselves as "Spanish" roaming around in the campaign world given how far it is in the future ;) .. but glad my character concept is ok ! :)

deathwish47
April 9th, 2014, 23:20
I assume we'll beusing the FG Teamspeak Server for Voice?
If you perfer TS then yes. I have not really decided on that yet.

deathwish47
April 9th, 2014, 23:21
I am.
You are more then welcome to give it a shot, we all were new at one point. I must warn you however, this is a heavy role play campaign and based on how players handle certain things, combat may not always happen.

Garignak
April 9th, 2014, 23:32
I definitely would like to give it a shot.

Andrepartthree
April 9th, 2014, 23:42
I have posted a reply, but it is waiting for moderator approval because it holds a link.
-Post was denied- You will have to look up the rule set. Sorry.

GM sez (hope you don't mind me posting this deathwish ;) ) that either the 4th edition Shadowrun core rulebook (which I THINK is ISBN-13: 978-0979204784 if I'm understanding correctly - I mention that mainly so you can google an image of what the front cover looks like on amazon or something the print cost of that book is outrageously expensive ! :P ) or " Shadowrun 20th anniversary edition" core rulebooks are fine , he said the anniversary edition was just a recap of 4th ed.. I do see a watermarked pdf version of the anniversary edition on sale for $15 at "drivethruRPG" if you do a google search (MUCH less than what the paper copies of the book are selling for at least going by amazon prices)...

deathwish47
April 10th, 2014, 02:18
Thanks for the praise, Andre. It's appreciated knowing that my roleplaying was somewhat noteworthy and that someone remembered. I've been around here for a long time.

Can you make Wednesday 5/6PM PST? (next week)

deathwish47
April 10th, 2014, 16:32
OP updated.

KainVorador
April 11th, 2014, 05:25
Round two, Andre.

deathwish47
April 11th, 2014, 06:37
Round two, Andre.

Hu?

Andrepartthree
April 11th, 2014, 14:48
Round two, Andre.

LOL good one ! :P ... well this is just a guess but Kain might be referring to the less than cordial relationship between his PC and my own in the one FG campaign Kain and I played in I'm sure the two PC's will have something to argue about in this campaign too :P ( I think you're playing an elven deckrunner right Kain? I'm guessing he's going to be an elf who looks down his nose at humans like my PC Sehlia - or am I wrong? :P ) ...

In the campaign Kain and I were in my PC was a female half elf fighter/rogue and Kain's PC was a full blooded elf... wizard I want to say? Some sort of arcane spellcaster ;) ... so of course you had the whole elf making comments on my PC being half elf (good) and half mongrel human (bad) which she didn't take to that kindly :P (then again I ran her as a cold-blooded emotionless bitch prone to fits of raging fury every now and then - she had issues - which I'm guessing would make PC's such as Kain's elf look down on her anyways ;) ) ... despite this Kain's PC offered to teach her magic, she refused and went on behaving in a manner which I'm guessing Kain's PC saw as being unbecoming to one of elven ancestry... Kain's PC requested a meeting with her in a graveyard before his PC left the campaign, and as I recall advised her to change her ways and warned her to keep her tongue still as he left if she wanted to leave the graveyard alive (Kain's PC didn't take no guff ! :P ... I feel terrible that I can't remember his PC's name , my PC's name was Alissa ...)

Needless to say I don't take conflict between PC's like that personally in "real life" by any means and I think it goes without saying Kain doesn't either so if anyone's worried, don't be :) (if anything I had a ton of fun with the whole hostility thing between Kain's PC and my own , I'm a role playing fiend so I love this sort of thing whether the PC's are nice or not so nice to each other ;) ) ... I think as players Kain and I both realize too that giving each other grief PC to PC is one thing but if the PC's REALLY started trying to kill each other with all the zillion and one enemies we will no doubt have gunning for us that our little group of shadowrunners would be in some serious hot water ;) .. While I'm sure Kain knows all of this already (and is probably wondering why I'm bothering to put it all out there "in the public" to begin with :P ) ;) I mention it primarily for deathwish's knowledge , who has mentioned he won't tolerate "real life hostility" so to speak between players ;) ..

deathwish47
April 12th, 2014, 02:35
We just started to play out back stories in the forums. Off to a good start!

2 slots still open.

KainVorador
April 12th, 2014, 04:30
I have duty tomorrow, so I'll hop on the forums you got going and start something cooking with my characters story. His name is Evo. And yes, Andre. He's a decker.

Blackfoot
April 12th, 2014, 13:03
We could probably use some sort of mage or shaman. (or both)

Andrepartthree
April 12th, 2014, 17:23
We could probably use some sort of mage or shaman. (or both)

Hope Darren/plex doesn't mind me doing a partial reprint of his PM to me here :) ... he shows up as darren or darrenan (think his PC's name is Plex?) on the forum deathwish has set up for us .. just to give you guys a heads up at the risk of telling you something that you might very well feel is obvious :P ... deathwish had made a comment to me earlier about being concerned about people "sticking their nose in where it doesn't belong" as far as persons who are not players in this campaign checking out the forum - I got the impression he'd prefer we not put the website for the forum or links to it out in "public" so to speak like FG ;) ... again apologies for stating what I'm sure all of you are probably thinking is obvious :P ...

" Hey, nice to meet you. My character is an ex-wage slave gone shadow. Spell slinger as well...high CHA, face-type character but stealthy... I was just talking to Deathwish, I won't have a lot of time to fill out my story until Sunday (maybe Saturday night, we'll see). I'll check out your character though and try to keep on the forums.

Oh, and if you couldn't guess, my name is Darren.

Cheers! "

I edited some info out of the PM since I wasn't 100 percent sure how much of it he wanted the players to know - I'm guessing if he PM'ed it to me he's probably ok with everyone in the campaign knowing in the first place ;) but just to be on the safe side... sent the PM to me on Friday (Apr 11th) I think or thereabouts...

deathwish47
April 12th, 2014, 17:39
"sticking their nose in where it doesn't belong"

My concern was random people trying to post in the threads, but since we found epic words, we no longer need to worry about that.

Andrepartthree
April 12th, 2014, 18:20
Copy of PM from deathwish too btw ;)

" It will be teamspeak. Most likely the FG teamspeak. "

(I was asking him if we'd be using teamspeak or skype :) )

Andrepartthree
April 12th, 2014, 18:31
Copy of PM from deathwish too btw ;)

" It will be teamspeak. Most likely the FG teamspeak. "

(I was asking him if we'd be using teamspeak or skype :) )

Also.. and feel free to laugh at me given how dang easy teamspeak is to use :P .. if you're like me and new to teamspeak and feeling anxious about it ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15k0hJX9JVI

tutorial is there.. though to be honest it's so easy to use I felt pretty stupid for spending the time watching it in the first place :P ... still there's the video if you need it ;)

deathwish47
April 12th, 2014, 22:47
Andre, we were all new at one point.

deathwish47
April 13th, 2014, 05:19
OP was updated.

Andrepartthree
April 13th, 2014, 22:28
OP was updated.

aww thanks for the props to Andre part :)

I spoke with two awesome RP'ers as far as the open slot you mentioned... but both are already in a Weds night game :( (think I already told you this) so no go there :( .. there's someone else I know who's awesome at RP'ing his character and posting on the forums will e-mail him to see if he's interested/available ;)

deathwish47
April 14th, 2014, 17:52
Man we have some epic prequels going on in the forums. You guys mind if I post some of them here?

KainVorador
April 14th, 2014, 19:25
I don't mind.

deathwish47
April 14th, 2014, 20:08
Minor details of Kain's back story: Was in a group of runners, had to shoot little girl, barely got out of an ambush alive.

It's been years since that incident... you keep playing it in your head. It haunts you as you sleep. It stares back at you in the mirror. You stare down the barrel of a smoking gun. A little girl wide eyed stares back at you. Blood trickles down her nose and cheek.

How cruel the world is, to use a pre-teen to do it's dirty work. You are always reminded of those eyes. Everywhere you turn you see them. Inescapable darkness inside two deep blue pools.

And every time you stare into them, you are always awoken to an explosion. One loud enough shell shock takes you over while the arm of your friend flies by your head.

The sound of shell shock was different this time. It sounded like a truck horn. As soon as you put two and two to gather, you snap your neck and wake up. It had been a long day. You look around to realize you are still on the public transit vehicle. Your ride is stuck in the middle of late night commute. Impatient truck and car horns blah left and right.

Evo jerks in his seat in the PTV, startled and dazed, momentarily confused from the effects of unconsciousness as his focus on reality begins to return, his memory coming back into focus.

He looks at the driver, through the rear view mirror, to see if they'd noticed his fit of terror when he drifted off to sleep. He sighs and reaches up and pinches the bridge of his nose, trying to relieve the tension headache that always follows the dreams.

Situational awareness begins to return as well, as he looks down at himself. Dressed in his black business suit, he straightens his tie and tucks it back into his jacket and gazes outside at the traffic.

He sighs again and tries to remember where he's going.

Mentally, he pulls up his AR through his cybereyes (which only Evo can see), accesses his PAN and uses the PTV's local connection to pull up a local feed on traffic conditions in the area, trying to discern the cause of the traffic.

The traffic feed shows stopped traffic on the entire street in front of you for a good 3 miles. A pop up covers your traffic status. A man stands in the pop up with dirty blond hair and deep blue eyes. He has a smile of "daggers" sharp enough to cut down any man with a compliment. Hovering over his left shoulder is a holo-screen of what looks like a Airborn craft's point of view of the traffic. The name "Joe Martin" appears across the bottom of the screen.

"... Major traffic in the downtown area of Seattle this evening, as head of NeoNET, Hayato Miyazaki, made a personal appearance for the unveiling of the company's new product," Joe said with his devilish smile.

The camera feed changes to near action, where Hayato is about to step out of his over priced, red, fancy sports car.

Hayato disappears in a bright flash as the news feed is lost. At the same time, a loud explosion and screams erupt and the PTV is rolled over on to its side as the shock wave hits it. Broken glass flies everywhere and you land onto a random woman that was sitting in the seat across from you. She is screaming and yelling, but all you can hear is ringing in your ears.

Evo watches the news feed with some mild interest, while simultaneously looking at side streets on the overhead map for a secondary street to get him out of the traffic lull.

"Hey buddy...do you think you could cut acro.." Evo's voice is cut off in a deafening roar and a screech of metal, screams, and shattered glass as the PTV flips over on it's side from the concussion wave impact.

Suddenly, all Evo can hear is Pluto's under-rotor SMG screaming as it spits fire in the dark, it's high pitched whine droning out everything else. He sees Sugar in front of him, yelling something in slow motion, but no sound is coming from her mouth. All he hears is the high pitched whine. Evo shakes his head, trying to clear his thoughts and he closes his eyes, tries to focus. When he opens them, Pluto's SMG whine is replaced by a high pitched ringing in his ears. Sugar is gone, replaced by some random woman, yelling and screaming. Still stunned, he remembers. He's in the PTV!

Evo shakes his head, trying to clear the confusion and regain his bearings. He didn't even have time to turn off his AR, as the news feed pop-up is still in place, replaced by a static white screen. He looks at the woman and opens his mouth to speak and the words come out hoarse, weak, and inaudible. He coughs several times and pushes himself off the woman and looks around the ATV, then out of the front and back windshields without moving, to see what's happening.

Ground vehicles are everywhere. A couple of them flew into random buildings, one hit the PTV you were in, the rest are in halves or on their sides. As you regain your hearing, you can hear screams of people injured. You see a couple trying to drag their friend away from a fire. A sign that was hit by a knocked up ground vehicle from the explosion, slowly buckles loose and falls on the couple.

You hear the sounds of fires and screams. People start pouring out of the buildings to help those who are hurt, while the ones that survived with at least a pair of legs run from the center of the blast.

Your AR begins to flicker as it tries to regain connection.

Evo looks down at the woman, putting a hand on the ceiling (now wall) of the PTV for support. "Are you okay?" As he notices that his AR begins coming back to life. Then he puts two and two together.

The blast. The carnage. The ECM shockwave that knocked out his AR and the news feed.

"Frag me...a tactical nuke?" He moves toward whatever exit of the vehicle he can find, and if he doesn't find one, he makes one through one of the windshields. He looks around at the other passengers of the PTV, or the nearest person he can find that is willing to help.

"Get her up and out, get all of these people out and away from these vehicles. Any of them could go up in flames..."

As his voice trails off and he steps out of the vehicle, he looks toward where the explosion came from, waiting on his AR to reconnect.

The man stares at you wide eyed, but obeys your gesture to help the woman. As soon as you take a step, any shock effect you still had left is over, and you kneel down in pain. You look to see a 7 inch piece of re-bar sticking out of your left thigh. Blood is dripping down your leg at an alarming rate.

Your AR links to the nearest connection and the news anchor appears again. You try to concentrate on him, in an attempt to try to forget the pain.

The news anchors face expression is of shock as he tries to gain his composure, "For those of you tuning in... A terrorist attack has occurred in the middle of downtown Seattle. The death count is still coming in... it is estimated that along with Hayato, there are 17 confirmed deaths. It is reported that the weapon was a 3Kg car bomb. All emergency vehicles are trying their best to reach those injured, but their path is blocked by many turned over cars." He wipes the sweat from his forehead.
"There is no word as to which terrorist group is taking responsibility for this. We can only pray for those who were hurt in this cowardice act."

Evo groans in agony as a shock wave of burning pain shoots up his leg, forcing him to kneel to take the weight off of it. He looks at the re-bar in his thigh, then closes his eyes and focuses. Simultaneously, his AR reconnects and the news feed resumes. He listens to it as he opens his eyes, grits his teeth, and unbuckles his belt, slinging it around his upper thigh and clamps it down, hard, making a tourniquet to stymy the loss of blood.

He immediately begins navigating his AR to find the nearest hospital. He looks at the time, mentally noting that he has a couple hours before the loss of circulation to his leg will do any permanent damage.

"I'm not quite ready for cyberlegs just yet..." He begins navigating his AR, going through his list of matrix contacts, data havens, and chatrooms and runs a background search with the tags "Hayato" and "assassination."

While that runs in the background, Evo looks around for the best way to help.

Andrepartthree
April 15th, 2014, 22:19
Man we have some epic prequels going on in the forums. You guys mind if I post some of them here?

No prob's here either :) .. I think that's actually a great idea in that it gives other people an idea of the amount of RP'ing that goes on in the campaign - which is a lot, and a good thing as far as I'm concerned ;) ..

Also haven't heard back from the one other guy I mentioned :( ... but think we're up to 6 players now anyways? :) (judging by the number of members running PC on the forum for the campaign that is ;) )

tlavalle
April 15th, 2014, 23:04
i dont care either

Tymire
April 15th, 2014, 23:42
Ha I'm not too sure it's even possible for Andre NOT to do some type of epic forum posting =P. And could go for this if have room for another (btw is it BPs or Karma for creation?).

tlavalle
April 16th, 2014, 00:39
When creating it is BP after that it is karma. I for one am not good at creative writing I am a coder but I can come up with ideas

deathwish47
April 16th, 2014, 05:38
Ha I'm not too sure it's even possible for Andre NOT to do some type of epic forum posting =P. And could go for this if have room for another (btw is it BPs or Karma for creation?).

Oh, you want to see a bit of Andre's back story do yea?

deathwish47
April 17th, 2014, 09:41
First session was a blast! Blackfoot likes to knock bikes over, bear likes to pick them up and smash them to gather, Andre likes to show tits, Ryan was the eyes who caused a traffic jam down town Seattle (isn't that normal? XP), Jackal likes to ruin my surprises with contact calls ;).
I will have to make sure the spot light is on Plex (darren) next session. I tried my best to have it shine everywhere.

Andrepartthree
April 18th, 2014, 20:50
(update on "roles currently being filled in the party" follows see below)

LOL true true :P ... Tymire ran the most mellow (quasi-hippie? :P) minotaur you will ever meet in your entire life ;) in the dragonlance game he and I were in , had some awesome forum RP posts too in my humble opinion ;) ... and yes Anabella the nerd-mage was known to talk.. and talk.. and talk.. and never shut up, something all my PC's have in common I think :P .. and hey wait a minute you had some long forum posts in that dragonlance game too tymire ! :P ... not to say that's a bad thing or anything ;) , in my humble opinion it just shows how much work he put into it and again they were a ton of fun to read ;) ..

We already have 6 players so I wasn't sure if deathwish was accepting any more or not ? :( .. obviously up to him of course ;) ... I know he has other players who initially wanted to play but couldn't due to time zone differences back when deathwish was actively recruiting so he has them playing the role of NPC's on the forums (you remember the forums tymire ;) .. tymire and I both posted in a forum for out of FG game session RP'ing there too in the dragonlance game) ... if you had a concept in mind alread (background/personality) maybe you could PM it to deathwish and be on the list of players he'll contact if someone drops out? Again, not sure if deathwish is looking for more players or has enough right now so... PM him and ask him? :P

Here's a copy and paste of deathwish's 1st post on the forum ...though Sinanus I think is filling the role of "face" for the group right now? :) From the RP point of view to provide a bit more detail ;) ... anyone looking at the PC's on the streets would probably come to the conclusion that blackfoot is a human native indian male, elf decker is male , sinanaus runs a (rather handsome!) "Caucasian" looking male, darrenan's PC is a (rather handsome!) black human male and our combat medic is a BIG (as trolls tend to be) 9 foot tall male... as far as I know the other 3 roles the party can use thing aside from "face" still applies ;) ...

EDIT - ugh, described everyone except my PC :P ... Sehlia is a gorgeous spanish-looking human female all of 5 ft 3 inches tall and 120 pounds :P ..

Roles Filled:
AmerIndian Adept (Blackfoot)
Spanish Female StreetSam. (Andrepartthree)
Elf Decker (KainVorador)
Spec Ops (darrenan)
Unknown* (Sinanus)
Combat Medic (tlavalle)

The face; leader, charismatic
Drone rigger
Combat Mage

Andrepartthree
April 18th, 2014, 20:51
Oh, you want to see a bit of Andre's back story do yea?

let me know if you want me to copy and paste her backstory onto here .... though honestly i think Kain's write-up puts my own to shame no comparison ;)

deathwish47
April 18th, 2014, 22:37
I have no problem with posting BG stories in here, just try to keep it to a couple of posts and not an entire 10 posts (1 page) of the forums. XD

Andrepartthree
April 19th, 2014, 00:42
"Sehlia, ' street samurai ' ... cyber-orphan from the streets..."

Sehlia is 5 feet 3 inches tall, 120 pounds, with long black hair and blue eyes, cream colored skin and rather gorgeous... she enjoys playing the role of "clueless ditz" to the hilt, playing up on this along with her looks to lull a victim into a false sense of security before popping razor-tipped fingernails out of her synthetic cyberarm (looks like a normal human arm) and slicing his throat open or simply crushing his windpipe with her borderline inhuman (7 strength in the cyberarm in "game terms") appendage.. though it's also worth noting that while she's accepted the necessity of killing others whether for pay or to repay favors ... she isn't terribly happy about it, quietly certain she loses a small piece of her soul every time she does it... she prefers not to kill unless she's either convinced her victim has it coming (hurts others in some way) ... or that her victim has a fighting chance at the very least.. whether or not this " heart of gold underneath a tough exterior" tendency of hers will get her killed in the grim, cold world of today remains to be seen... Still, compassion for others, whenever possible and practical, is a legacy she stubbornly clings to.. it's what her parents taught her and, in a way, is what keeps them alive in her heart...

When she's not dealing death Sehlia is cheerful, exuberant - some would say overly so - friendly, and loves sticking her nose in other people's business whether they like it or not. Emotionally she's riding high on her (relatively) new cyber-implants, convinced it's given her a certain degree of invulnerability.. it will be a rude awakening when she runs into someone bigger and tougher than her who demonstrates this fact in a violent and painful (read "near death on Sehlia's part) manner.

She also has a short temper as befits her fiery Spanish heritage- frequently she bursts into her "mother tongue" though her command of English is fairly respectable for a second language (ranking of 5 out of 6 stats-wise on character sheet). Her Spanish outbursts are usually immediately followed by a translation in English as she belatedly realizes the gringos around her have no idea what she just said...not surprisingly given the six years she spent with her gang she also cusses and swears enough when she feels the situation warrants (which is often) to practically turn the air blue...

A hard life on the streets has developed a firm musculature underneath her shapely exterior - this along with her quick reflexes (5 rank in Strength and Agility) gives her an edge in the hand to hand or firearm-based combat that is her bread and butter while "on the job". She's been known to launch into movements that seem almost inhumanly fast in nature, a dead giveaway to her cybernetically enhanced reflexes.

Sehlia wears what appear to be normal street clothes and a jacket (actually armored versions of the above)... she carries "Sofia" as she likes to call it (her ares viper slivergun ) on her left hip and "Bonita" (her Imgram Smartgun X) on the right hip... if she feels like showing off she'll fire both at the same time (ambidextrous) but more often than not will focus on using a single gun at one time in order to better concentrate on a single target - observers will notice she favors shooting with her left hand (her left arm is also a synthetic - non obvious - cyberlimb boosted to slightly faster than the human maximum... 7... Agility)....

(though as an edit from what I originally wrote she really IS a clueless ditz, quite often at that :P .. Logic .. what passes for "Intelligence" ability score in other RPG's.. isn't exactly the highest for her , it all went into physical-oriented ability scores :P ... would have added her full background history but definitely " R " rated stuff that might offend some readers ( not " XXX porn" rated to be sure :P , but about as adult as HBO's game of thrones or other cable TV shows put it that way .. if someone's interested though I'll post it.. then promptly report myself to the moderator to make sure it's up to FG code of conduct :P )....

Andrepartthree
April 20th, 2014, 17:24
(One player's observations about the campaign/status far as "accepting players"....)

Also , GM mentioned to me in a PM that he's sort of got his hands full right now with the current 6 players in the group :P (7th spot is reserved for GM's fiancee in case fiancee shows interest in the game ;) ) ... I mention this primarily so anyone who's interested in the game at least knows the status right now that it's "full" (sorry about that! :( ) .. still I've found in the past with FG campaigns in general, if you write up a short PC background/personality kind of draft and submit it to a GM for approval it will get you put on a "waiting list" (at least that way the GM has an idea of what you would be playing that way in other words ;) ) along with a description like " street samurai", " decker", or if your PC doesn't easily fall into the "normal" shadowrun PC categories something describing the PC concept from the rules standpoint (example : " my PC is a private investigator who has learned magic that complements his investigative skills .. he has a few minor pieces of cyberware that are geared towards spotting clues and analyzing evidence")....

If deathwish doesn't mind I will also share some observations from my first FG game session .. a lot of the game took place via voice (teamspeak is used) as far as both in-character and out-of-character stuff... I personally tend to limit myself to describing my PC's actions via text instead (mainly 'cause I find that if you're playing a female PC and you hear this male voice over teamspeak it shoots the illusion of running a female PC to all hell and back for myself - and possibly the other players and GM :P ) ... but I still got by okay even restricting myself to all text... this may change in the future, GM might start asking that everything done "in character" be done in text ... or the GM might simply continue things as they are now, I'm personally ok with it either way ;) .. however this is something to bear in mind for players who prefer that all in-game stuff be done via text, period (know of at least 2 such players personally myself ;) ) ...

For people brand new to Shadowrun I think it's a fun game but there's a LOT to learn rules-wise especially if you're considering running a mage or decker/someone else who's active in the matrix... as well there's a LOT of background info to read up on from the role playing/campaign background/"fluff" perspective just in the core rulebook alone (which I see as a good thing ;) ) .. I'm giving myself a crash course in it, doing my best to read the core rulebook alone for shadowrun (which is a BIG book, about 350 pages) every spare moment I have but ... if you're interested might be best to start reading now! :P .. even if you never participate in a shadowrun game anyways I personally am enjoying the book and would have read it for it's own sake anyways "just for fun"... I'm not saying it's a 100 percent requirement that you know every single rule from the book going in, I'm getting by fine despite not knowing a lot about shadowrun at first (personally I found I REALLY had to cram before that first FG game session to get the rules down though :P ) .. I'm just saying the more of the book you've read prior to going in the easier it will be for you ;) ..

Also.. and the GM isn't totally "freeform" don't get me wrong he follows the game rules! :) ... But he has mentioned as well that he's more focused on the story than observing every nitty gritty tiny little rule mentioned on page 208 paragraph three subsection 2 :P ...from what I've seen I don't think rules lawyers would be happy in this game at all , dragging the game to a halt while you argue some detail with the GM will NOT win you points with him nor your fellow players I think :P .. the GM has pointed out that if you want to point out a rule he "missed" that's fine, I just wouldn't recommend starting a "30 minute argument" about it ..... no I'm not joking I have watched such arguments happen in other FG games with said rules lawyer player channeling Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory, not fun at all for the other players (or GM for that matter either probably) :( ... still ... personally I'd describe Shadowrun as being similar in complexity to D&D 3rd edition rules with the clarification that you have magic existing side by side with post-modern cyberware/matrix stuff - that's a LOT to cover!

EDIT AND UPDATE.. Also I should point out that there is a forum/bulletin board sort of thing outside of the game, making it a combination "FG game session once a week" and " play by post" game... in other words important stuff happens on the forums that can and WILL have an in-game impact on your character! I'm not saying you need to spend every spare minute of your day on the forums :P don't get me wrong but... if you're the type who prefers to log into FG once a week and just leave it at that (and I do know of players like that who have completely ignored forums set up for the express purpose of handling in-game stuff) then you might be in trouble.. amount of forum participation varies among players... some prefer " short and sweet" and don't post a ton of stuff (though even these players monitor what goes on in the forums and start posting away if something happens referencing their PC in particular).. others like myself enjoy posting novels worth of stuff :P , in my case mostly role-playing/getting into character... but there IS a forum that you need to pay attention to and, at least occasionally, post on....

I will also point out that in my humble opinion the GM does an awesome job ;) ... he is very responsive to messages and forum posts even though the poor guy has his hands full juggling six players right now :P and really puts a lot of effort into the campaign both in the "role playing/weaving a story" sense and otherwise too... I'm having a lot of fun in this game ;)... in my humble opinion definitely worth getting yourself put on the "waiting list" perhaps via the method described above ;) ..

EDIT AND UPDATE NUMBER TWO.... I should also point out that while reading as much of the book as possible prior to the game helps it is so NOT a requirement by any means.. we have a player brand new to RPG's in general let alone Shadowrun and he's having a blast! (take a bow Jackal ;) ) ... everyone is very accommodating towards him , it's a very friendly group ;) .. I learned the rules " on the fly" doing a crash-course on just the stuff necessary to run my cyber-enhanced street samurai ... it's only now 3 FG game sessions in that I'm really trying to read the rulebook cover to cover and I still got by okay myself ;) ... our GM definitely favors "telling a story" over " follow every single nitty-gritty minor little rule in the book" so that helps too ;) ...

deathwish47
April 24th, 2014, 14:40
Adding on to what Andre said, the campaign is for the players, not for me. I adjust things to suit the players. It's their story and I want it to be enjoyable for them.

deathwish47
April 30th, 2014, 01:23
A player has recently dropped and we have one spot open. We have 2 people on the wait list, but look forward to anyone who wishes to apply.

Andrepartthree
May 1st, 2014, 05:03
The "flavor" of Shadowrun - campaign setting from the role playing viewpoint...

I typed this up as a PM to someone else and thought to myself.. why not post it here on the thread? I think at least one person posted " What is shadowrun" or something to that effect ;) ... deathwish let me know if you need me to edit this ;) ...

Shadowrun is set in an alternate-earth around the year 2070... on the one hand very much the grim cyberpunk setting that is a familiar staple of so many books, movies and other works of fiction... corporations rule all, the government is a faint shadow, a practical mockery of it's former self compared to the power of the corporations, deckers surf the matrix hoping for their next big score jacking straight into their computers while street warriors sporting deadly cyberware - um, well, kill things :P ...

But it's got the fantasy element too.. magic comes back with a vengeance to the point where native indian shamans are able to use it's power to finally reclaim a large portion of American land stolen from them all those centuries ago.. to the point where they trigger so many volcanic eruptions calling upon the spirits that governments and corporations alike back down letting the Indians reclaim a big portion of America.. races other than human.. elves, dwarves, orks and trolls.. are born to human parents then multiply - humans are still the majority but there's enough non-humans around to the point where racism becomes more an issue of hating that THING over there with warty skin tough as leather and tusks - who cares what color some human's skin is anymore? The Humanis hate -mongering group is alive and well but the Shadowrun version of the KKK targets those who aren't human instead.... elves are often glamorous rock stars, singers, politicians and lawyers, dwarves are stereotyped as hard-working (true) dwellers beneath the surface (not true at all ) , and orcs and trolls are often persecuted for their "monstrous" appearance.... or use that fear and their natural born strength to work as enforcers or other hired muscle....

There are also full blown magicians wandering around who rely on magic rather than cyber... very rare compared to the majority to the point where the populace tends to view them as if they were the famed magic-slinging heroes of the holo-videos (though if a real life magician tried to perform half of those feats seen on holo's said magician would have his or her brains oozing out of their ears.. still, magicians are powerful enough not to be trifled with)... some of these magicians follow strict magical formulas, magic practically treated as a science...others instinctively rely on the spirits to guide them whereupon it be the aforementioned native Indians or voodoo practicing Haitians...

Corporations know flat out warfare with each other is bad for business... but on the other hand the profit that can be made from successfully crippling one of your rival's operations is just too tempting to ignore.. that's where the shadowrunners.. the player characters.. come in.. they're hired to do the dirty work whether it be sabotage, stealing data or outright assassination.. all with the corporations denying any involvement whatsoever if said shadowrunners get caught... criminal organizations can and will hire you too.. the yakuza and triad (the latter are Chinese gangs) are alive and well in the 2070's...

Andrepartthree
May 1st, 2014, 05:20
Updated once again ! (as of May 4th 2014 :) ) ... got ourselves a rigger! :) Updated list below accordingly ;)

Further update.. lost the AmerIndian Adept so...

Roles Filled:

Spanish Female StreetSam. (Andrepartthree)
Elf Decker (KainVorador)
Spec Ops (darrenan)
Unknown* (Sinanus)
Combat Medic (tlavalle)
Human female rigger

Combat Mage

To clarify a bit further...

(Andrpartthree) Spanish female human street samurai.. Sehlia the fiery , friendly - until you tick her off ;) .. Latino former gang-banger , outfitted with enough cyberware to let her tussle with opponents in combat whether face to face or firing guns at each other... either way she's more than happy to mix it up....

(KainVorador) Evo, male elven decker... cool, calm, collected and .. towards Sehlia anyways :P .. rather condescending though with good reason (there's some history between the two of them ;) ) ... as of this date (5/1/2014) Evo's player is on a temporary leave of absence for a few weeks due to real life stuff going on beyond his control but is expected to return soon ;) ... though he hasn't shared this with the others yet, part of Evo's cool demeanor is due to a traumatic experience in his past life that taught him caring too much for other people can be very painful when you lose those dear friends... or at least he THOUGHT he lost them...

(spec-ops, Darrenan)... Plex, the smooth talking handsome Carribean black human male... in addition to his natural people skills Plex is also a magician who specializes in deception (illusion, invisibility) and mind control...

(Sinanus)... not much is known about Jackal... to the outside observer he looks like a stubble-bearded (but handsome) ordinary human male .. like Plex he has strong "people skills".. he's also quite handy with a gun ... there are hints of a tortured past but nothing he's shared with the others yet.. perhaps that will come later...

(tlavalle, combat medic)... Bear.. or as Sehlia likes to call him " Dr. Bear " .. is , like most trolls, 9 feet tall and rather intimidating when you first see him... he wasn't born a troll - the change took place during his childhood as is the case for some that are born human but undergo "the change" later on... Bear blames himself to this day for the friends he lost while on duty with the Lone Stars during one mission gone horribly wrong.. an earnest and sincere man, he is a trained medic who can also call upon the spirits to work a certain amount of magic.. in this case a bird spirit who acts as Bear's eyes and ears....

Faith ... human female rigger... strong mercenary sort of personality to be sure (charged a client extra for throwing up in her car during a high speed chase where she was driving said client to cover the cleaning bill :P ) but with at least something of a conscience too ;) ( could have totaled innocent civilian cars to throw the people chasing her and her client off her tail.. but chose not to ;) ) ..

Phorgotten_Son
May 4th, 2014, 06:01
Haven't played Shadowrun in a long time, but really dig the setting. Also loving this is such a heavy role play group here, I would love to join in as a rigger/mechanic.

PhorgottenSon
May 4th, 2014, 20:52
Yes, That was me above, had some account sign in issues and had to make a new account to post that.
I am very interested in this game if you do have a spot open. Thanks for your time.

Andrepartthree
May 4th, 2014, 23:50
not sure about an open slot :( ... right now we have four players showing up every game session, one new player who's putting the finishing touches on his PC before jumping into the campaign (running Faith the rigger ) ... one player who's on a leave of absence right now due to real life stuff but if things go according to plan he's back in a few weeks... up to the GM?

Of course submitting a short-but-cool player character personality/background write up couldn't hurt as far as being put on the waiting list ;) ... you mentioned you like role-play heavy groups ( a player after my own heart ;) ) so I'm guessing you already have some sort of vague character concept in mind ;) ...

See also post I updated above recently (today) showing addition of human female rigger to the group ;)

PhorgottenSon
May 5th, 2014, 00:15
Ok, cool, seeing as how your rigger need has been filled I understand. I will work on coming up with an interesting character and backstory to go on the waiting list then.

graz
May 5th, 2014, 13:32
I'm starting to build my own Shadowrun campaign (will be looking for players in a week or so while I get things ready). As far as Fantasy Grounds goes are you using the SR4E ruleset posted here? Are you also using 4th edition Shadowrun?

i would love to go 5th edition but I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to have to teach myself XML to do it.

deathwish47
May 6th, 2014, 07:06
I'm starting to build my own Shadowrun campaign (will be looking for players in a week or so while I get things ready). As far as Fantasy Grounds goes are you using the SR4E ruleset posted here? Are you also using 4th edition Shadowrun?

i would love to go 5th edition but I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to have to teach myself XML to do it.

The ruleset is not finished. I found out the hard way.

graz
May 6th, 2014, 12:32

Yeah - it's in pretty rough shape. So what ARE you using? Are you using (what I plan on) everything except character sheets?

deathwish47
May 6th, 2014, 16:50
The character sheets aren't the issue, its the combat tracker and the NPCs that are.

graz
May 6th, 2014, 17:10
I'd be very interested in sitting in to observe one of your sessions if you'd be OK with that. I'm building my own Shadowrun campaign and I could use some ideas on how to apply the application. Totally up to you.

deathwish47
May 6th, 2014, 17:11
Its mainly pen and paper, and I am a shy GM. I am honestly not that good no matter how often Andre praises me.

graz
May 6th, 2014, 17:24
No worries. I'm in the IT industry and know a couple of XML guys. If I can figure out how to get the mechanics into the application I'll certainly send something your way.

deathwish47
May 7th, 2014, 07:00
I am in IT too! Networking, however.

deathwish47
May 15th, 2014, 17:53
Updated OP. We have room for one more possibly.

damned
May 15th, 2014, 23:39

A lot of community rulesets are not *complete* but that doesnt mean they wont be a big help.
Also there are a lot of pre-CoreRPG community rulesets - in fact most of them are pre-CoreRPG.

If anyone is getting the bug consider the following:

we have 292 people or thereabouts that voted for a Ruleset Builder in the wishlist - so wherever you are all hiding come out and show some love for the new crowd funding project: https://www.verkami.com/projects/7992-ruleset-wizard-for-fantasy-grounds/
If every one of the voters was able to tip in $50 we would have the project funded

even if the task is still not something you would like to take on - helping fund the RWfFG will help more quality rulesets get delivered.
please give it some consideration if you can afford to contribute.

deathwish47
May 16th, 2014, 05:23
Please don't advert on here. This is meant for people trying to find campaigns, not for your funding.

damned
May 16th, 2014, 06:14
hi deathwish47 - i have nothing to do with the project - the project is a licensed (by SmiteWorks) endeavour by psicodelix in direct response to requests by many people here for such a product. i posted it here in this thread because you pointed out that the ruleset you are using / intending is not as complete as you would like and i thought it would be of interest to you and/or your group :)

Thomas Marik
May 16th, 2014, 13:39
I think the other Shadowrun game is full so I guess I'll try my luck here since you have an open spot. I've never played Shadowrun 4e or 5e but I played a lot of 2e and 3e years ago. I lvoe the setting there just isn't anyone around to play TT in my area.

As for a character. I am interested in playing a rigger. I want him to be a guy who isn't just about drones or even a souped up car. He just likes gadgets weather they are useful or not in the context of a shadowrun. likes fiddling with all kinds of gadgets and mechanical devices. I'm thinking kind of a gritty version of Scotty from Star Trek. Cheerful and friendly with his friends but gruff and formal with everyone else. You seemed to want a tech savvy guy in your OP. That is something I would really like to do. I need to do more background stuff for this guy but I'm hoping to know more about my companions and the campaign before I fully flesh him out. I would be willing to try Matrix if you really feel it is needed. Maybe as a secondary skillset if we really need one although my knowledge of the matrix is from 3e. I know 4e really tried to change up the decker rules when it went wireless. I would much prefer a tech wiz rigger but I suppose wireless hacking is part tech too :)

deathwish47
May 17th, 2014, 01:28
Anyone is free to apply, I will tell you to make a character, then I will ask a giant amount of questions.

We have no decker or tech mancer in the group.

dentos
May 17th, 2014, 07:50
If their still is a slot available i can try and make a Decker character, Ive never ran a shadow runs game.

Andrepartthree
May 17th, 2014, 17:46
Its mainly pen and paper, and I am a shy GM. I am honestly not that good no matter how often Andre praises me.

That's total BS don't let him fool you :P .. He is a GREAT GM ! :) He puts a huge amount of time and effort into his campaign and it shows :) ..

deathwish47
May 17th, 2014, 19:13
That's total BS don't let him fool you :P .. He is a GREAT GM ! :) He puts a huge amount of time and effort into his campaign and it shows :) ..
Refer to what andre quoted, auto win. ;)

Thanks andre, you will be missed. The same message the from the first time you tried to quit still stands, many players loved your rp and will miss you.

Thomas Marik
May 17th, 2014, 19:20
Deleted

deathwish47
May 17th, 2014, 19:31
Deleted

Hmm?

Andrepartthree
May 17th, 2014, 19:48
Ok so looks like at least one open slot maybe two ... my leaving opens up one of those slots and I should talk a bit about that...

My leaving the campaign in no way shape or form means it's a BAD campaign.. it's actually a VERY good one I mean it when I say deathwish puts a lot of work into it ! Heck if you look at all the forum posts alone the poor guy has done and all the role playing threads he's set up for the campaign I think you'd be astounded in a good way :) And FG game sessions flow at a quick rapid pace too which I know will appeal to a lot of people :)

Basically, the reason I'm leaving is that FG game sessions have turned out to be primarily voice-chat based... obviously the FG program is used to run things too of course don't get me wrong ;) ... but I've discovered I am far too fussy and particular as a player and would never wish myself on any GM in FG :P ... my preference is for everything done in-game to take place via text ... but the disadvantage of text is it can slow the pace of FG game sessions down to a crawl.. I don't mind a certain amount of slowness but I can see how this would NOT be fun for players used to a faster pace, which voice is definitely ideal for ! If it wasn't for the text preference I have I would still be in the campaign I was serious when I said he's a great GM! :)

Applicants for the campaign should be very comfortable with using voice chat to declare things said both in and out of character and not be afraid to just jump right in there and join the group conversation no need to be shy here ! :) .. as well applicants should be aware of the fact this is both a play-by-post and a weekly FG game session sort of campaign..a LOT of important stuff takes place on the forums and you ignore that stuff on the forums at your own peril ;) (well at your character's peril anyways :P ) .... to me though the forum just makes the campaign even more fun :) ..

Here's the current list of PC's and a description of the roles they fill... as deathwish mentioned a decker would be SUPER useful since there isn't one right now in the group...think deathwish mentioned a while back a combat mage would help too :) ..

Roles Filled:

Face/smooth talking disguise guy* (Sinanus/Jackal)
troll Combat Medic (tlavalle/Bear)
Human female rigger (Blahness98/Faith)
ork street samurai combat guy (tymire/Jon)

(Sinanus)... not much is known about Jackal... to the outside observer he looks like a stubble-bearded (but handsome) ordinary human male .. he has strong "people skills", excellent at talking his way in and out of situations which makes him ideal for the subterfuge missions that make up a lot of the campaign.. he's also quite handy with a gun ... there are hints of a tortured past but nothing he's shared with the others yet.. perhaps that will come later...

(tlavalle, combat medic)... Bear is , like most trolls, 9 feet tall and rather intimidating when you first see him... he wasn't born a troll - the change took place during his childhood as is the case for some that are born human but undergo "the change" later on... Bear blames himself to this day for the friends he lost while on duty with the Lone Stars during one mission gone horribly wrong.. an earnest and sincere man, he is a trained medic who can also call upon the spirits to work a certain amount of magic.. in this case a bird spirit who acts as Bear's eyes and ears....

Faith ... pretty brunette human female rigger who often breaks out in her native Russian language... strong mercenary sort of personality to be sure (charged a client extra for throwing up in her car during a high speed chase where she was driving said client to cover the cleaning bill :P ) but with at least something of a conscience too ;) ( could have totaled innocent civilian cars to throw the people chasing her and her client off her tail.. but chose not to ;) ) ..

Jonathan Swift... ork who is suffering from a BAD case of amnesia with plenty of cyberware... while his primary area of specialty is combat Jon has shown himself to have a keen tactical mind and a high level of intelligence with the soul of a philosopher... he showed up on a dwarf family's doorstep near-death from his injuries.. and even worse he has no idea how he received said injuries...

PhorgottenSon
May 17th, 2014, 22:18
Ok thanks Andre, I was wondering about the seemingly high turnover rate, but that can happen with a high level of role playing instead of roll playing. Was struggling with a backstory for a character that I was unsure about his purpose, but I will have something fleshed out tonight for that decker/tinkerer spot.

PhorgottenSon
May 18th, 2014, 06:35
Still working on getting a feeling for this guy and what his name is, but just a touch of him so far:

Ork Decker / Tinkerer(repairer) who used to have a chip on his shoulder about people thinking since he was an Ork, he must be stupid and not very capable of certain jobs. He has since learned that this stereotype can be an advantage, it isn't so bad to have others underestimate you.

New to Seattle, he has only been in town about a month and his savings are starting to run down.

Thomas Marik
May 18th, 2014, 06:43
Hmm?

I PMed you what I posted. It was a character creation question/discussion that didn't seem appropriate here. There is no delete function on these forums.

Andrepartthree
May 18th, 2014, 18:48
Ok thanks Andre, I was wondering about the seemingly high turnover rate, but that can happen with a high level of role playing instead of roll playing.

I should also point out (I might have already I can't remember :P ) that the elven decker Evo was forced to retire from the campaign due to real-life circumstances beyond his control .. won't go into too much detail not sure how much he would want me to make public ;) but... during the time he was in the campaign KainVorador was VERY enthusiastic about it from my point of view :) , wrote this awesome back-story for his character he posted on the forums, was active on the forums and in the first FG game session.. then a real life situation beyond his control forced him to be absent from the campaign for what he thought was going to be 3 weeks then it turned out that it would be even longer than 3 weeks and he felt he wouldn't be able to do justice to the campaign with his (unavoidable) absence... so definitely don't think it was due to lack of interest on his part ! ;) .. and I already explained I'm a stubborn cuss who is waaaaaaaayyyyy too fussy about FG campaigns have dropped out of more than one before :P ... simple mismatch in this situation, the FG game sessions rely primarily on voice for both in and out of character and I insisted on all text for my character, if it wasn't for that I'd still be there... if you're comfortable with using voice chat for FG game sessions and you're ok with being active on the forum devoted to the game then this is the campaign for you :) ...

The cyberpunk/shadowrun setting was one that Plex/Darren tried on for size initially but then he mentioned that after doing it for a while the whole cyberpunk thing just didn't feel right to him and he's more of a fantasy-genre type of person for his RPG's so there's that too ;) ...

I would argue a high turnover rate is unavoidable in pretty much any FG game ;) ... people will stick around for a while then find that for whatever reasons the campaign isn't really for them (mine and Darren's case) or real life circumstances will force a player out of the campaign ... but that doesn't mean it's a BAD campaign either ! :P ... RPG's are complex beasts there are SO many different ways you can approach it... I personally favor RPG games that are role-play heavy but have watched people who are all "strategy complete the mission/kill the monster/complete the dungeon crawl" players who would be annoyed at the GM simply asking for a background and personality write up :P who end up dropping out of the RP heavy game in question.... but give players like that a dungeon crawl where they have to overcome traps and come up with strategic ways to kill the beasties without bothering with that whole " getting into character " thing and they're happy as clams ! :P .. (referring to other FG campaigns I've been in not this Shadowrun one run by deathwish here ;) ) ....

PhorgottenSon
May 18th, 2014, 20:02
Thanks Andre, yeah I have seen a lot of high turnover games in FG before, but this makes a lot of sense and definitely sounds right up my alley and the day and time is also absolutely perfect for my schedule.

Andrepartthree
May 18th, 2014, 20:52
Thanks Andre, yeah I have seen a lot of high turnover games in FG before, but this makes a lot of sense and definitely sounds right up my alley and the day and time is also absolutely perfect for my schedule.

Cool ! :) To be honest I felt terrible leaving this campaign :( .. deathwish is the kind of GM who takes the time to write up detailed plotlines re: each individual PC that turn up at some point in the campaign and I knew I derailed his efforts in Sehlia (my PC's) regard there when I left :( ...... but I do feel better after seeing the massive amount of interest in Shadowrun here in FG :) ... Plex/Darren, Evo/KainVorador and myself/Sehlia announced we were leaving the campaign around Thurs May 15th... and now it's what, Sunday May 18th and you're already on the spot writing up a new PC to fill in the missing spots and that's GREAT as far as I'm concerned ! :) (Thomas Malrik too from what I've seen here... not sure if TheShroud meant he was submitting his combat mage for this FG game or the other one? I couldn't tell but I'm easily confused to begin with , Shroud knows what I'm talking about :P ) ... From what I've seen that's also pretty damn quick, most missing spots in FG campaigns are not filled that quickly ! :)

dentos
May 20th, 2014, 04:23
Iam deafeningly interested in a game of Shadowrun Ive been having a hard time finding a group to learn how to play,I can be the groups Decker if its still possible. my time zone is est and most night iam free so Iam pretty flexible in that regard.

Andrepartthree
May 20th, 2014, 22:31
Iam deafeningly interested in a game of Shadowrun Ive been having a hard time finding a group to learn how to play,I can be the groups Decker if its still possible. my time zone is est and most night iam free so Iam pretty flexible in that regard.

My apologies I don't mean to pick on you in a public forum I really don't :P ... having said that.. I think the spelling auto-correct on what you were typing on (tablet or phone or PC or what not) might have changed "definitely" to "deafeningly" without you realizing it? :) No worries happens to the best of us ;) ...

Andrepartthree
May 20th, 2014, 22:45
I should also point out once more that this is 4th edition Shadowrun rules ( not 5th so be careful which rulebook you're looking up ! ;) .. have heard lots of people griping about how awful 5th edition is though from the internet chatter I've seen....) and that deathwish will supply you with a cool excel character sheet with lots of formulas that will "do the math for you" as far as the admittedly rather complex (math-wise at least) job of creating a character - so before crunching those stats all by your lonesome ask deathwish to e-mail you that excel sheet, will save you a lot of time! :P

dentos
May 20th, 2014, 23:10
no its cool, It's the tiny details that matter the most especially in these games. I created the character in Hero Lab so its added up right and it also prevents me from breaking any of the character creation rules.

Blahness98
May 21st, 2014, 01:14
You can also use Chummer (www.chummergen.com) if you don't want to or didn't pay for the Hero Lab files.

Nylanfs
May 21st, 2014, 01:15
My apologies I don't mean to pick on you in a public forum I really don't :P ... having said that.. I think the spelling auto-correct on what you were typing on (tablet or phone or PC or what not) might have changed "definitely" to "deafeningly" without you realizing it? :) No worries happens to the best of us ;) ...

Could be a negative quality...

Thomas Marik
May 21st, 2014, 13:46
I should also point out once more that this is 4th edition Shadowrun rules ( not 5th so be careful which rulebook you're looking up ! ;) .. have heard lots of people griping about how awful 5th edition is though from the internet chatter I've seen....) and that deathwish will supply you with a cool excel character sheet with lots of formulas that will "do the math for you" as far as the admittedly rather complex (math-wise at least) job of creating a character - so before crunching those stats all by your lonesome ask deathwish to e-mail you that excel sheet, will save you a lot of time! :P

People were saying the same thing about 4th edition back when it was released as well. It's why I never really upgraded from 3e. Going through the 4e rules now there is a lot familiar and a lot new. I'm finding it very difficult to make a character.

deathwish47
May 21st, 2014, 14:23
We are using chummergen.com

Andrepartthree
May 21st, 2014, 15:43
Could be a negative quality...

I have to admit I was blinking in confusion at this for a moment .... but that's probably because I'm far too dense to begin with :P .. for anyone new to Shadowrun qualities are positive or negative traits you can pick for your character ... a positive quality might be "ambidextrous" for example while a negative one would be " addiction" ... not sure if the negative quality here would be "deaf", " damn-technology-auto-corrects-my-words-to-something-entirely-different" (which now that I think about it could be a complete and utter disaster for someone in shadowrun's tech-oriented campaign setting :P ) or something else entirely ;) ...

People were saying the same thing about 4th edition back when it was released as well. It's why I never really upgraded from 3e. Going through the 4e rules now there is a lot familiar and a lot new. I'm finding it very difficult to make a character.

You know I was pretty much brand new to Shadowrun to myself hadn't played it at ALL ! ... my solution was to figure out what my character concept was, give myself a crash course on the rules by reading over the sections that directly related to my character (in your case you'd want to look over attributes, skills, qualities and the whole character creation section plus "The Wireless World" chapter if you're going with a decker and "cyberware" under "gear" no doubt ;) ) .... and temporarily ignoring the sections that had nothing to do with my character (no need to read up on the "the awakened world" section for example since my PC had nothing to do with magic) .. obviously anyone new to Shadowrun (not you I'm referring to here Thomas, other players who have never played it before ;) ) will want to read the entire book at some point (4th edition core rulebook I mean) to get a feel for the Shadowrun universe in general so you can role play your PC more effectively as far as personality, background, what PC says or does and so forth :) .. Hey look at it this way Thomas, I was brand new to the entire setting and I managed ok, you've played 3rd ed so you have a leg up on people like me, just takes some additional time is all :) ... maybe that chummergen.com website will help you? :)

The rules are a bit complex true but don't let that scare you away if a dysfunctional cyberpunk alternate america in the future with magic setting appeals to you as a player ;) .....one of the most enthusiastic players in the campaign is brand new to the Shadowrun campaign setting and rules himself... and from what I saw he's having a ton of fun! :) .... if this helps any I would definitely NOT describe it as a rules-heavy campaign ;) .. while deathwish is more than open to players who remind him of rule X, Y or Z, I haven't seen any rules lawyers dragging the FG game session to a halt while they debate said rules either (not that I think the existing group of players in the campaign would particularly enjoy that sort of thing mind you - and for good reason ! :P ) .....deathwish is unlikely to bring the game to a crashing halt while players sit there bored and/or arguing the rules with each other as deathwish frantically thumbs through a rulebook put it that way - he keeps things going at a fast pace (which to me is a good thing) ;) ...

Unbutu
May 26th, 2014, 20:17
So, DeathWish is it full already or is there still room for that knowledge-hungry elfin shadowunner I suggested trough PM ? He lives in my head as an intricate curious/perfectionnist/maried/bipolar mage, but he needs a place to tell his story. I know there's many, many characters out there waiting to live, but, what can I say ?

pllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaasssssee ee :D

Andrepartthree
May 27th, 2014, 14:52
( I know I know, what the hell is he doing posting weeks after he's already left the campaign :P ... ) ... I do know that PhorgottenSon, Dentos and ThomasMalrikwere talking with deathwish already re: creating a character but I don't see their character write-ups listed on the forum website devoted to the shadowrun campaign .. perhaps because deathwish has already hit the limit of players he's willing to work into the campaign? (or not, up to deathwish of course ;) ) ...

(to any new members who know of the name and/or address website for said forum .... please, PLEASE do not post it out here publicly.. deathwish has expressed some concern about people who have nothing to do with the campaign posting on it ... I am referring to the "forum role play/campaign announcements" website whose name begins with " e " , NOT the Fantasy Grounds thread here obviously :P ) ....

So, not that it's any of my business or anything :P but as a "public service announcement" to help Unbutu out and anyone else who's interested ;) , perhaps ThomasMalrik, Phorgottenson and Dentos could chime in here publicly and advise as to whether or not they're still interested in this Shadowrun campaign or not :) ...

Unbutu you should know that there are currently five players already in the campaign, not sure if deathwish wants to go beyond that number or not (for all I know ThomasMalrik, PhorgottenSon and Dentos could already be on the "wait list" ahead of you ! :P ) ... here's the run-down as far as I can see, FG name of player listed in italics :

Roles Filled:

Face/smooth talking disguise guy* (Sinanus/Jackal)
troll Combat Medic (tlavalle/Bear)
Human female rigger (Blahness98/Faith)
ork street samurai combat guy (tymire/Jon)
human combat mage (Wade/TheShroud)

(Sinanus/Jackal)... not much is known about Jackal... to the outside observer he looks like a stubble-bearded (but handsome) ordinary human male .. he has strong "people skills", excellent at talking his way in and out of situations which makes him ideal for the subterfuge missions that make up a lot of the campaign.. he's also quite handy with a gun ... there are hints of a tortured past but nothing he's shared with the others yet.. perhaps that will come later...

(tlavalle/Bear )... Bear is , like most trolls, 9 feet tall and rather intimidating when you first see him... he wasn't born a troll - the change took place during his childhood as is the case for some that are born human but undergo "the change" later on... Bear blames himself to this day for the friends he lost while on duty with the Lone Stars during one mission gone horribly wrong.. an earnest and sincere man, he is a trained medic who can also call upon the spirits to work a certain amount of magic.. in this case a bird spirit who acts as Bear's eyes and ears....

(Faith/blahness98) ... pretty brunette human female rigger who often breaks out in her native Russian language... strong mercenary sort of personality to be sure (charged a client extra for throwing up in her car during a high speed chase where she was driving said client to cover the cleaning bill :P ) but with at least something of a conscience too ;) ( could have totaled innocent civilian cars to throw the people chasing her and her client off her tail.. but chose not to ;) ) ..

(Jonathan Swift/Tymire)... ork who is suffering from a BAD case of amnesia with plenty of cyberware... while his primary area of specialty is combat Jon has shown himself to have a keen tactical mind and a high level of intelligence with the soul of a philosopher... he showed up on a dwarf family's doorstep near-death from his injuries.. and even worse he has no idea how he received said injuries...

(Wade Dragon, Alaric/TheShroud) .. from what I can see of his character write-up looks like a bit of a robin hood crusader and protector of the innocent type ;) ... goes on runs in the slums of the city hidden behind his mask , runs a school for disadvantaged (poor it looks like) awakened (have the gift of being able to wield magic) children in the slums, hates drug runners... easy going fellow who loves adventure, bit of a flirt but doesn't mix business with pleasure (unlikely to flirt with other PC's basically :P ) ..

Best advice I could give you Unbutu is to come up with a detailed character/personality background write-up if you haven't already... like maybe a page's worth or so, the more the better .... and submit it to deathwish ... using chummergen.com as mentioned above would make it somewhat easier to write up a PC as far as stats you could submit to deathwish as a second PM to him ... the question is how much work would you want to put into creating a character that might never be used? :P .. deathwish is a great GM so I see it as being more than possible that players who sign up for his campaign might not want to leave that readily once they're in it :P .. on the other hand the more work you put into a character concept even if said character is "on standby" the more likely you are to impress deathwish (or any other GM running a campaign for that matter ;) ) ... deathwish is big on the role play/get into character side like most GM's are so again the more work you put into your character concept as far as background/personality the more impressive it is ;) ...

For example... and I'm pretty sure (deathwish will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure ;) ) that TheShroud for example had expressed an interest in the campaign a while ago when all the available slots were full and went to the trouble of a detailed character/background personality write up then submitted it not knowing if a spot would open up... a spot opened up, TheShroud had applied a while back with that detailed character concept and bang, he was in ! :) ...

Last I heard both PhorgottenSon and Dentos were both planning on decker concepts so unless one or both no longer have interest a decker concept might not be the best candidate :P ...not sure what ThomasMalrik was considering as a character concept....

Also Unbutu, at the risk of flogging the dead horse over and over again repeatedly (and that didn't sound obscene at all did it ? :P ) by making the same two points over and over again on this thread :P .... you read my (admittedly lengthy) posts above about how you should be comfortable/not shy about jumping right into the voice chat conversation (teampspeak) that FG game sessions tend to be run by... but at the same time be an enthusiastic participant in the ongoing play-by-post part of the campaign that runs in conjunction with the FG sessions? (put it this way if you ignore the play-by-post forum part it can put you at a disadvantage in the campaign in general...)...

Thomas Marik
May 27th, 2014, 21:13
Well I was considering a Rigger that focused more on vehicles and tinkering with gadgets and was of Russian decent. Then I found out that you already had someone almost exactly like that. I decided I still wanted to go the technology route so I thought maybe I would go a little more Decker that likes to tinker with gadgets and so forth Then I see like two other people already doing deckers. So I thought maybe I would look into magic since that was another need but I've never been overly comfortable with magic. So I'm kinda left in limbo a bit. I have a neat backstory idea for the guy but I do not know what skillset the team needs. I am also having a very hard time with the chummer character creator. Skills and Attributes are easy. I'm getting lost in the whole gear thing.

Right now I'm considering two characters.A Tecnomancer. I always kinda liked the Otaku and the technomancer appears to be an evolution of that. The problem wiht that is I don't know the 4th edition matrix rules all that well. I understand the overall concepts but it appears alot of the Matrix rules are in Unwired. The other character idea is a more drone focused rigger. Deathwish kinda has a hook in mind for me if I go rigger like that. This goes back to the severe problems I am having with chummer though. Drones and Drone modification is something I liked messing with back when I was playing heavy. I even have some of my old 3rd edition books here. That was well over 10 years ago. I am completely lost as to what would be useful or needed. I suppose I could techically be both the Technomancer and Drone rigger but I don't know how to make a character like that in chummer.

Making character concepts are easy. I alwaqys start with the concept and try to build the character to fit that concept. The backgrounds are easy. Actually making something that is mechanically sound is the hard part. I don't know the rules well enough yet. I've been trying to read the rulebook off and on as time permits but this rulebook has a bunch of short stories all through it that makes reading it a bear. It would be useful if I could get someone to talk me through the first character. SOmeone who knows 4th edition anc could help me avoid pitfalls in the character creation process. I don't know anyone IRL that can help with that though. Of course if I knew people IRL that played TT games I probably wouldn't be on Fantasy Grounds.

Andrepartthree
May 27th, 2014, 22:50
To me the fiction stories help a lot as far as the role play/getting into character part so I'd agree they're important - but why not read them last and just read the chapters on "Gear" and "The Wired World" first and go from there? :) Though I do get what you're saying, when I wrote my PC up in a hurry for the game after a few gaming sessions I started to realize how the rules worked and I was like " DOH , I should have done THIS instead during character creation".. if that's what you mean Thomas Marik? :) You could ask deathwish if he can let you run the "rough draft" of a character maybe then re-write him a few game sessions later after his or her "trial by fire" so to speak? :) (Would be up to deathwish of course ;) ) ...

When I had left the campaign I noticed sneaky types who are good at talking their way into or out of situations or stealthy types had a distinct advantage... you could bypass fights by being smart basically ;) ... but of course the campaign might evolve and change in a different direction from that who knows? :)

I do know one (player) member of the group who is a TOTAL expert as far as these rules in my opinion, I will PM him (not saying his name out here only 'cause I don't know if he wants me volunteering him out in public :P .. if he feels differently of course I'm sure he'll make it known on this thread ;) ) .... if he's agreeable maybe he can get with you on skype or you guys can trade e-mail addresses and e-mail each other? (darn FG has that character limit thing for PM's which can be annoying if you want to have a continuous "history" of the back and forth of your PM's)

Unbutu, from the "deathwish has a hook in mind for me " part above I would assume that Thomas Malrik is on the "short list" at the very least if not in fact actively accepted as a player .. so there's that and then there's PhorgottonSon and Dentos too possibly on the list "before you" so to speak ... having said that if you're feeling creative and want to write up a PC just for fun with the detailed personality/background write up I mentioned and PM it to deathwish I'm sure it wouldn't hurt ;) ...

Thomas Marik
May 28th, 2014, 00:03
That is what I mean. I don't want to gimp the team or my character because I didn't understand the rules well enough. A rough draft could work. or maybe I could pencil in some ideas and let Deathwish let me know what else to do.

I'll send Deathwish a Personality and background write up and maybe throw out some ideas as far as character creation.

deathwish47
May 28th, 2014, 00:39
There is more than 1 rigger in the world. ;)

What I will end up doing is asking players who wish to join bring their character concepts an hour or 2 before the session. That way I can ask some questions and implement their character a head of time. After the game I will ask players if they feel that they will continue to come. ONLY after that will you be invited to stay. As of right now, only 2 seats are open, and it is first come, first served biases.

PhorgottenSon
May 28th, 2014, 01:55
That is what I mean. I don't want to gimp the team or my character because I didn't understand the rules well enough. A rough draft could work. or maybe I could pencil in some ideas and let Deathwish let me know what else to do.

I'll send Deathwish a Personality and background write up and maybe throw out some ideas as far as character creation.

Yeah, I totally understand. I don't want to get too detailed in a background that doesn't fit the setting or story or maybe even contradict some things. As far as building a character, I think flaws and unoptimized characters are actually ideal. It can get boring with Superman saving the day all the time.

deathwish47
May 28th, 2014, 02:04
Yeah, I totally understand. I don't want to get too detailed in a background that doesn't fit the setting or story or maybe even contradict some things. As far as building a character, I think flaws and unoptimized characters are actually ideal. It can get boring with Superman saving the day all the time.

The campaign is form fitting. It is easy to understand, and if not, you have the GM and 5 other players to ask questions. There is no perfect class, I can give anyone a run for their money.

Thomas Marik
May 28th, 2014, 02:20
OK I think I have the character build hammered down. Ill look into getting Skype.

deathwish47
May 28th, 2014, 02:38
OK I think I have the character build hammered down. Ill look into getting Skype.

It is free :)

Tymire
May 28th, 2014, 02:54
As far as building a character, I think flaws and unoptimized characters are actually ideal. It can get boring with Superman saving the day all the time.

There are no Supermen in Shadowrun. Its a game of glass cannons and combat should be avoided if possible *shrug*. You can get ridiculous dice pools if that's your intention, but so far I don't think any of us have done that.

deathwish47
May 28th, 2014, 03:01
There are no Supermen in Shadowrun. Its a game of glass cannons and combat should be avoided if possible *shrug*. You can get ridiculous dice pools if that's your intention, but so far I don't think any of us have done that.

You clearly have not seen Dr.Bear in action. ;) I think he has a 20 dice pool as a tank.

Thomas Marik
May 28th, 2014, 03:01
I'm not trying to min/max. I just don't want to do anything boneheaded or more importantly forget to buy something important in chargen. For example. a rigger without a VCR which appears to be something completely different now. I've been using the Drone Riger premade character as a template to try and make sure I'm not missing anything obvious. The guy has flaws. I wouldn't find a Superman character to be that interesting anyway.

The main thing I am having a hard time grappling with is the way the new Matrix works. Everything is wireless and I don't really understand the system yet. I don't really know what a Nexus is and all my drones have Matrix stats. IT seems important for a Rigger to understand these things which is giving me pause. Even so I've got a character built. I just need to get it to Deathwish to review.

deathwish47
May 28th, 2014, 03:10
A nexus is a pc/CPU. It is an orb that houses the processes and information of programs. If you have seen the show "Young justice" think of war-world's computer system. The orb that was the center of the system. The matrix stats means how well you can interface while rigging into your drone. I tend to by pass matrix stat because it is a limitation that I don't wish to have. The other stats I care about such as pilot and skillsofts.

PhorgottenSon
May 28th, 2014, 04:33
Yeah, I didn't mean literally Superman in Shadowrun, but you get the point.

In addition to what I already posted, I am thinking my guy worked for a tiny vehicle repair shop that did both legal and not so legal work in Denver. He set up the matrix presence of the shop including AROs and ads, etc. while also working on the vehicles. The owner got in deep with some gambling debts and started doing some more shady deals to raise the money. It wasn't enough and they cut off his left hand, so he got very desperate. Getting a hold of my contacts and friends, he sent them all to good to be true deals and offers to upgrade their rides since they knew me and I worked there, he would just ask for them to tell their friends where they got the work done and most of them took him up on it. At the same time, I was taking a few days off as my girlfriend threw me out of our apartment and I was trying to move stuff into storage and find a new place to stay. Well, I get back to work after a rough night in a coffin hotel to find the place closed and emptied out. The owner had sold all the vehicles that were in there and everything else he could, paid up his gambling debt, and fled town. Boy my friends were pissed at me, I gave them all the info I could on where to maybe find their vehicles or what was left of them. Even the ones who didn't take his offer were still angry thinking I set them up. Luckily, my stuff was all in a storage unit no one knew about or my ex-girlfriend would have given them everything I had. I did some odd jobs for them to try to ease things over and get them to stop demanding money from me, but I realized I could never count on them again and things were not going back to the way it was before. I had some skills, I had some stuff I could sell, and I had a town that I needed to leave and start over new somewhere else. Besides, some of those trids make running look pretty glamorous, something I wouldn't have considered trying if I hadn't been so hung out to dry. New town, new gear, new name, new life, hello Seattle.

deathwish47
May 28th, 2014, 04:52
Nice!

deathwish47
June 4th, 2014, 02:10
OP has been updated.

tlavalle
June 4th, 2014, 02:59
You clearly have not seen Dr.Bear in action. ;) I think he has a 20 dice pool as a tank.

Clearly, 24/20 if I remember correctly

deathwish47
June 26th, 2014, 02:24
Updated OP; inactive players are about to be kicked. Read the first post to learn more.