PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 3.0.3

sclose1970
April 6th, 2014, 21:15
I've been having some problems with the latest update to 3.0.3. It seems when I try to click buttons, the next button I click reacts as if I click the first button. I've checked my directx installation and it says it's up to date. I'm using Windows 8.1.

Thanks for your time.

Trenloe
April 6th, 2014, 21:43
Which ruleset? Could you give a specific example?

sclose1970
April 6th, 2014, 21:54
The problem occurs even on the main screen before I even open a ruleset. For example, I click on the Load Campaign button, and that opens the campaign window, but if I click the Create New Campaign button it's like I'm still clicking the Load Campaign button. Is does the same thing no matter which button I click first or second, it's like I'm still clicking the initial button, whichever one that was. If I right click on the previously clicked button a few times it will let me select a new button, but the problem still occurs with that new button then.

Trenloe
April 6th, 2014, 22:06
HHhmmmm, I haven't heard of that before. Are you running Fantasy Grounds maximized or in window mode? Perhaps try both and see if the issue still occurs...

sclose1970
April 6th, 2014, 22:29
Yes, it does the same thing in both maximized and window mode. There are similar issues when I do manage to open a campaign, so it's not just the starting window.

sclose1970
April 6th, 2014, 22:36
The problem does not affect dice rolling, but does seem to affect the modifiers.

Moon Wizard
April 6th, 2014, 22:49
I have never heard anything like that, and I run on Windows 8.1 as well. I just tried clicking around the launcher screen without anything like what you mentioned happening.

What kind of mouse are you using? Perhaps it's something that the mouse driver is doing?

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
April 6th, 2014, 23:28
One thing to try: press the "Settings" button on the main screen (if you can) and make sure "Cross platform compatibility..." is not selected.

sclose1970
April 7th, 2014, 00:15
Cross platform compatibility was not selected. My mouse does not have a specific driver, but I did check to make sure the basic windows driver is up to date. I have no other problems with the mouse in general, only when I use FG, and only within the last week or so. I looked at the folder that FG is installed to, and noticed there are multiple d3dx9 files in there, would that play any part in the issue?

sclose1970
April 7th, 2014, 00:18
I tried removing the other d3dx9 files but that didn't seem to affect it, and if I remove the latest d3dx9 file, 43, the startup window doesn't even load, so I guess that's no help.

sclose1970
April 7th, 2014, 00:23
I noticed this line in the patchnotes: [DEV] buttoncontrol - setIcons and setStateIcons functions not updating display correctly. Fixed. Would that have anything to do with it?

Moon Wizard
April 7th, 2014, 02:12
No. That change relates specifically to the display of multi-state buttons.

I reviewed the changes in v3.0.3 in the main client, and I didn't see any code changes related to the way mouse clicks were interpreted. Mainly fixing inconsistencies or bugs in API calls.

So, walk me through the exact click down and click up actions with your mouse...

Example:
* Click down on Load Campaign and immediately release without moving mouse.
* Launcher changes to campaign loading screen.
* Then click down on Create Campaign and immediately release without moving mouse.
* Launcher changes to campaign creation screen.

All interactions with the mouse in windows are via events (click down, click up, move).

Thanks,
JPG

sclose1970
April 7th, 2014, 03:40
It doesn't seem to matter which button I push, they all act the same way. If I click Load Campaign, it will bring up the load campaign window. If I click Load Campaign again, it goes back to the version info (the default start screen). If I then click Create New Campaign, it still acts as if I have clicked the Load Campaign button, bringing up the Load Campaign screen. The same thing happens if I click Load Campaign once, and click Create New Campaign next, it "deselects" Load Campaign as if that's the button I clicked, and I click Create New Campaign again, it once again brings up the Load Campaign Window. The behavior will change depending on whichever button I click first, it's like it's not recognizing that a different button has been clicked, that's why I was wondering if it had anything to do with the button states fix. What's even more confusing is that it doesn't seem to be predictable. Occasionally if I click a different button (again, it's not just one button doing it) it will bring up the correct window.

sclose1970
April 7th, 2014, 03:45
Sorry if I didn't explain it step for step. Here would be a step by step example.

*Click Load Campaign and immediately release without moving the mouse
*Launcher changes to Campaign loading screen
* Then click down on Create Campaign and immediately release without moving mouse.
*Launcher changes to start screen with version/patch history (the default start)
*Then click down on Create Campaign and immediately release without moving mouse
*Launcher changes to Campaign Loading screen again, as if Load Campaign had been clicked.

dulux-oz
April 7th, 2014, 04:46
Sorry if I didn't explain it step for step. Here would be a step by step example.

*Click Load Campaign and immediately release without moving the mouse
*Launcher changes to Campaign loading screen
*Launcher changes to start screen with version/patch history (the default start)
*Then click down on Create Campaign and immediately release without moving mouse
*Launcher changes to Campaign Loading screen again, as if Load Campaign had been clicked.

I'm NOT getting that Moon - it working AOK for me (Ultimate License, Window8.1)

Just trying to help :)

Trenloe
April 7th, 2014, 04:47
This sounds very strange. I have FG installed on 2 Windows 8.1 machines and it works fine.

I'd recommend uninstalling and reinstalling and seeing if that helps.

Moon Wizard
April 7th, 2014, 06:12
It sounds like Windows is providing mouse click coordinates to FG that do not match what you are seeing on the screen. (I.e. Too high) (Thus, click on Create button seems to target Load button.)

Since we have multiple reports of FG working on 8.1 as expected, it seems like it is something specific to your configuration. Since FG doesn't have any code to adjust the mouse position, that's why I was thinking maybe a mouse issue. Perhaps a new driver got auto-updated which is causing the issue for programs which use the older mouse methods. (Which we do in order to support back to XP.)

Regards,
JPG

sclose1970
April 7th, 2014, 13:18
Here are two things that I tried. I uninstalled FG, downloaded the new installation file from the FG website (the FGwebinstall.exe file), ran that and installed FG. My problem still happened. Interestingly, FG didn't show up in my Windows program list to uninstall, so I went to the FG installation folder in Program Files (x86) and looked in there, and there is no uninstall.exe file, so I had to manually delete it. I then found the old FG installation file from when I first purchased FG (FantasyGroundsII-Setup-272.exe), ran that and installed it. It works fine, no button issues whatsover. I clicked the Check for Updates button, and it said Getting Package Listing Error! So I went to the installation folder and tried to run both FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe and UpdaterEngine.exe, with the same results (Error). So I re-ran the the new web install file that I downloaded from the site, and it updates FG, but the button clicking issues return. I'm really at a loss as to what could be wrong, as I'd been playing in a campaign up until two weeks ago.

sclose1970
April 7th, 2014, 18:05
I don't know what I did, but I managed to get it working normally now. Thanks for trying to help.

Zeus
April 10th, 2014, 20:01
Just to wade in here with my 2 cents. Are you running multiple monitors per chance? If so, try switching the order of the displays. I have seen similar problems on older Windows platforms with multiple displays and order impacting mouse coordinate data.

sclose1970
April 11th, 2014, 13:15
I don't remember if I had multiple monitors running when I was having issues, although I do use them on occasion. The problem was very specific to FG, however. I had no issues with the mouse or buttons outside of FG. It may have just been a bad install, although I did uninstall/reinstall multiple times. I really can't explain what caused the behavior or what fixed it. I screamed at my computer, maybe that had something to do with it, lol.