PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Players for Pathfinder Game

BarbieBunnykins
April 5th, 2014, 13:01
Due to being let down by previous players I am looking for people interested in playing a Pathfinder game.

About the Game:
It's Way of the Wicked, if you've heard of it. If not, briefly it's an 'evil' campaign where you are a convicted criminal who is recruited by someone looking to overthrow the current regime. We have played 3 sessions so far but it may re-start due to players coming and going - this will need discussion with the other 3 players. We play at 8pm British Summer Time (BST is GMT +1:00) for approximately 3 hours on Saturday evenings.

About Me:
I'm not a very experienced GM. I'm a reasonably experienced player of 3rd Ed, 3.5E, PFRPG, Fantasy Craft, and similiar. I have a Full Licence, sadly not ultimate, so players will need their own licence.

About Other Players:
My husband - reasonably experienced player of 3rd Ed, 3.5E, PFRPG, Fantasy Craft, and similiar
My brother - experienced GM and very experienced gamer of most systems
The husband of a colleague of my brother - player of older systems and new player of Fantasy Craft & PFRPG after gaming hiatus

About You:
Over 18
Reasonably reliable
Some experience or willingness to learn

If you're interested in playing please reply on this thread. Thanks very much :)

BarbieBunnykins
April 6th, 2014, 09:31
My brother - experienced GM and very experienced gamer of most systems

No longer playing.

Andrepartthree
April 6th, 2014, 18:05
Hey tell your brother it's not nice to bail on his sister ! :P ... I'm kidding of course I'm sure he had very good reasons, real life tends to get in the way of RPG's a lot unfortunately ;)

Another GM from the UK pointed out to me that Americans (I live in Florida USA) are about 5 hours behind you? I'm in the eastern time zone USA so I think that would translate to ... 3pm Saturday evenings start time? Which would definitely fit my schedule :) .. and I hear you about the revolving door of players coming and going I've observed it happen in several FG campaigns! I played in one Pathfinder game but have been playing D&D 3.5 edition for a long time now enough to the point where I would consider myself reasonably familiar with the rules ;) ... by the over 18 requirement I am assuming the campaign deals with " mature subject matter" which to me is a good thing it gives the campaign that "realistic" feel... to me that's the reason why shows like " Game of Thrones", " Boardwalk Empire", " Homeland" et cetera are so popular... definitely deals with um ' adult situations ' put it that way and violence so definitely not PG 13 .. but by the same token that's part of it's appeal you're thinking " Ok this could happen in real life too " (well maybe not 3 baby dragons and ice-zombie type things far as GOT but you know what I mean ;) )

As far as not being a super experienced GM... you totally deserve props just for being willing to GM in the first place ! :) It's a lot of hard work , enough so that a common complaint here on FG is that " There aren't enough GM's ! " ... I found the biggest challenge is 12 different things happening at once, 5 or 6 players who all want your attention at the same time and the GM having a definite feeling of " ACK ! " in response to all this :P ... but I also noticed it gets easier the more you do it :) ...

I also think it's really great that you are a husband and wife gamer team , that's the dream marraige of a lot of RPG'ers on here (in my opinion anyways ;) ) most of us are married to someone who either dismisses our RPG love as "silly-ness" or crankily puts up with it as " my spouse's me time " :P ...

A few questions if you don't mind me asking?

- From what you posted I think you have two players at this point in time your husband and his friend's husband ... would they feel comfortable with us knowing what character class they are playing? The reason I ask is some players find it's not as much fun if they, say for example, decide to play a rogue or a wizard and there's already one in the party, the new player coming in sometimes feels sort of redundant :( .. also some players prefer to play a character class that isn't in the party so far in order to have a well rounded "team' so to speak ;)

- how much emphasis is there on role play/getting into character in the campaign? I'm a big fan of a well-written detailed backstory complete with friends and family of the character in question (in this case I'm guessing it would be more of a tragic " what dark events befell your character to turn him into the minion of darkness s/he is today ' ;) ) ... I realize the GM may or may not end up using elements from the backstory in the campaign or not (working that kind of stuff into existing modules can be very demanding time-wise so of course I realize not all GM's are willing and able to do that ! ) but at the very least a well written background really helps the character " come to life" during FG game sessions in terms of the player being able to role-play out his or her personality.... I'm happiest among other players who are similarly interested in this role-play element (don't get me wrong I enjoy combat and " solve the puzzle" type stuff too ;) ) .. on the other hand some players don't go for this at all and prefer just " kill the monster/ complete the mission" and that's it, period...

- I'm guessing (could be wrong though ?) that the game takes place via text? That is, everything is typed on FG whether in or out of character? Or perhaps voice chat is used? (skype or some other free to use chat program?)... Personally I've found a combination of using voice chat for out of character conversation (the inevitable questions about what pathfinder rule applies to this particular situation in-game for example) and text for in-character stuff works great... voice chat really speeds things up far as the out of character stuff but typing everything you do or say " in character" adds to the feeling you're in the middle of a novel :) (also I've found when voice chat is used for both in and out of character stuff sometimes it creates confusion as to whether a player is speaking in or out of character :( )

- is it ok to send you PM's on Fantasy Grounds as well as replying to this thread? Some players prefer to keep things about their character a mystery (backstory for example) that doesn't come out "in the open" for other players to see until it's revealed in-game (character decides to talk about what happened in his past with the other characters in-game for example).

Cakissis
April 6th, 2014, 20:04
I'm in Germany and in Central Europe time, a UK start time is nearly perfect for me. Fairly new to table-top games and I'm very new to the VTT format. Willing to run whatever class-type is needed and can get into playing most any character.

Andrepartthree
April 6th, 2014, 22:17
You know from the American point of view these FG game sessions would be an interesting voice chat to listen to because everyone's going to have such an awesome accent :) ... seriously no joke Americans like that sort of thing (or at least that's been my experience in my neck of the woods anyways ;) )

Barbiebunnykins you mentioned a lot of info in the one PM to me that other interested potential players would no doubt find useful :) and it might help you weed out the players who might not be the best fit for your campaign (like in my case for example :( .. sadly while I am very intrigued I have a love for playing female PC's at this point and.. well when everything in-character and out-of-character is done in voice and you have this male voice playing this female PC to me it shatters the illusion like you wouldn't believe for RP purposes :P ... not that I condemn this style of game play for any means, it goes a lot faster than typing everything in-character ;) and people who aren't fast typists would understandably balk at being asked to type everything in-character) ... perhaps a copy and paste of the PM here in "public" so to speak? :) .. not that I want to tell you what to do with your campaign on the other hand if I'm offering too much unasked for advice feel free to tell me to shut the hell up :P ..

Everyone else, I have skimmed the first Way of the Wicked module (and no I did NOT start skimming it when I saw this thread I like to think I'm a little more mature than that :P .. heard good things about it and started reading it over before seeing this thread...)... it's received some high praise from others here on FG and I think there's good reason for that ;) ... from what I've seen of it there's a strong emphasis on the role play/get into character part of it which to me is a good thing :) .. for example the section in the back of the module (not sure if it's meant for the GM to share with players? GM's choice I guess ;) ) that gives tips on how to write up a believable, realistic evil PC , the "big bad thing" the evil PC did that earned him/her such notoriety et cetera.. definitely looks like a good choice as far as an adventure/module to run for pathfinder.. and running an evil PC might be a nice change of pace for some players too ;) ..

tlavalle
April 7th, 2014, 02:50
i would interested in played i live in cst which -6 gmt but can make to the sessions.

BarbieBunnykins
April 10th, 2014, 20:45
Currently full. Thanks for looking :)

JerryRig
April 27th, 2014, 23:42
ok made a spreadsheet with a initial review of considerations. Please feel free to change it with the things that I am missing or not thinking of.

Attempting to think of the longer process of getting out of the cells, then the cell-house, arming ourselves, attain revenge for our branding!!!, gather info & resources, escape prison, and finally find the house.

I don't know the spells of the cleric or other higher skills of the 2 Rogues, the Anti-Paladin or of the Ranger. Things like maybe ...Climb skill, Disable Device, Survival, ...

JerryRig
April 29th, 2014, 04:28
Woop looks like you cant attach openoffice documents to this site and i cant get it to convert to .xml so will have to work around it. Tried to get the most recent Java installed to get it to allow it to convert but something i must have to find to get it to convert like it says it is suppose too. -sigh-

damned
April 29th, 2014, 04:38
upload it to your drop box or similar and post a "share" link to it.

Trenloe
April 29th, 2014, 06:35
Or ZIP the file up and then upload the zip file.

JerryRig
April 29th, 2014, 14:39
I have a drop box?

damned
April 29th, 2014, 15:10
I have a drop box?

its probably between your OneDrive and your Google Drive or in front of your Box and behind your Copy or it might be hiding under your Mozy or you may in fact not have one...?

jasonisop
April 29th, 2014, 16:58
you forgot aeroFS.

JerryRig
May 3rd, 2014, 13:30
ok converted the spreadsheet. Wife told me I forgot to post it.

Lets see if it gets us thinking. I put proposed weapons on it in parenthesis as it looks like that is what the guards had on them.

tlavalle
May 3rd, 2014, 14:57
not opening in anything I have saves as an attachment.php.

JohnD
May 3rd, 2014, 16:28
Try using Firefox.

JerryRig
May 3rd, 2014, 18:13
not opening in anything I have saves as an attachment.php.

tried to attach it as a .xmls but it will only allow a .xml (Microsoft Excel). In fact it wont even open for me and I posted it ...wow the ability to post Microsoft products seems a bit hindered.

wont take open-office either. and if you don't own zip ...cant zip it or expect others to be able to unzip it. -sighs-

JohnD
May 3rd, 2014, 18:36
Zip or WinRAR are free downloads.

Trenloe
May 3rd, 2014, 19:03
Zip or WinRAR are free downloads.
Yep, as I mentioned at the top os this page (post #11) - zip up the file and attach the ZIP file.

Trenloe
May 4th, 2014, 15:20
and if you don't own zip ...cant zip it or expect others to be able to unzip it. -sighs-
A basic version of ZIP comes with Windows for free. Right-click on the file and select "Send to" -> "Compressed folder"

JerryRig
May 4th, 2014, 18:20
When the Winzip trial is expired it is of no use (current status). Will try this other program. Why the upload program wont allow .xmls is oddly annoying.

Anyhow did not expect the post to get hijacked this way. This subject will now be dealt with off this post, my apologizes.

Trenloe, I will get a hold of you thru FG mail for assistance if I'm still having issues. You've always been a good to FG players.

Thanks again

Tsuru
May 11th, 2014, 03:47
If you are still looking for players, please add me on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/SF666/

JerryRig
May 16th, 2014, 19:43
We still on for tomorrow?

qisforme
May 16th, 2014, 19:53
If you still need a player, I am available as well. Q is for Qadim on Steam.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198039220932/

JerryRig
May 17th, 2014, 05:37
Contact Barbie with a private message with a character drawn up (must be lawful evil) and from this ruleset of basic or advanced:

https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/advancedNewRules.html

Then ya might be able to find a spot. We could use a melee type.

25 point build