PDA

View Full Version : Copy / Paste text with formatting

viresanimi
April 5th, 2014, 10:16
I was wondering if it is possible at all to copy/paste text and keep the formatting, and if it worth putting on the wishlist, or if it is too complex to put in.

Having notes with formatting is such a great thing, but it would be cool to be able to paste stuff in and it would keep its format. Especially the tables function could be good, as it can be used for making character sheets that look decent. But as master I can't paste it into my players notes, so they can change them, themselves.

Vires Animi

Trenloe
April 5th, 2014, 16:37
Paste is text only. There is an entry in the wish list already for options other than just text: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40889

Also as an FYI: depending on the ruleset, the players notes may not be a formatted field anyway - a lot of them are multi-line stringfields which don't support formatting.

Blacky
April 7th, 2014, 00:56
It may not be as easy as it sounds. What text formatting? HTML semantic tagging, CSS formating, MS Word formating, OpenDocument formating, Latex formating, PDF formating, epub formating just to note a very few ones…

I have no idea how OSes clipboard space works, but it might be quite complex to do.

viresanimi
April 7th, 2014, 06:24
Yes, well. I don't know these things, so I can only find out by asking / suggesting. I have found that the devs here are very open to suggestions, so I see no harm in asking. And I did also ask if this was way too complicated or if it was a small thing.

For me. I play games that don't have rulesets that support them, so I often resort to simple text and rolling dice, which is fine by me. The formattet notes in core sets just made that a lot better for me and my players. And anything to improve that.... Well. I am not shy to ask!

It was just a thought.

Vires Animi

Moon Wizard
April 7th, 2014, 19:50
Make sure it's on the wish list, and vote for it. I think it's probably there already, but haven't looked.

Its not a small feature, due to the items Blacky mentioned. We'd probably have to pick a few common formats (HTML, whatever PDF uses, etc.) to support. And each format requires a translation algorithm to convert between FG formatting and clipboard format.

The nice byproduct would be formatted copy within FG.

Regards,
JPG

viresanimi
April 7th, 2014, 23:52
The nice byproduct would be formatted copy within FG.

This was what I was hoping for one day. And as Trenloe pointed out it really is on the wishlist, which I missed. But I did give it my full endorsement!

Vires Animi