PDA

View Full Version : DOE: Locations Extension

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

dulux-oz
September 16th, 2015, 08:34
Oh you're such a tease!

Well, since I'm such a tease, here's some of the stuff that's new (and working as of today):

All Cyclebuttons replaced with Dropdown Lists
Completely reworked the code, making it more efficient
Incorporated 5E- and C&C-friendly graphics to automatically load
Dynamically Sizing Menubar/Sidebar
Better Shared Record Handling
Better NPC, Encounter, & Map Link Handling
More granular "Display to Players" options
Building Types, including Commercial Buildings (Shops)
Shop Markup and Buyback Percentages
Full Item ID-integration in Building Inventories
Actual Drag-&-Drop Shopping from Shops (still working on getting the Money handled correctly)

Any (maybe) more to come :ninja:

(Call me a tease, will you) :p

dr_venture
September 16th, 2015, 15:32
Any (maybe) more to come :ninja:

All hail the Great and Powerful Oz! To my mind, this is a major and indispensable component of FG. Thanks so much for your work, hobby or not!

*skulks back to shadows, making a dump run instead of making a game run*

Trenloe
September 16th, 2015, 15:35
*skulks back to shadows, making a dump run instead of making a game run*
TMI! :o

dulux-oz
September 16th, 2015, 15:36
All hail the Great and Powerful Oz!

And ignore that man behind the curtain. :p

To my mind, this is a major and indispensable component of FG. Thanks so much for your work, hobby or not!

Seriously, thanks for the thanks - I really do appreciate it. :)

lsujonno
September 16th, 2015, 15:40
To my mind, this is a major and indispensable component of FG.

To that point, what does it take for something that was an extension to become an out of the box feature? I think most DMs feel this is a necessity.

dulux-oz
September 16th, 2015, 15:56
To that point, what does it take for something that was an extension to become an out of the box feature? I think most DMs feel this is a necessity.

I suppose it would mean SW and myself coming to some sort of arrangement - something I'd be willing to discuss. Doug and Moon have a lot on at the moment with the Unity rebuild so I don't know when/if it'll happen.

Fundamentally, the Community could bring it to SW's attention - whether that'd have any effect is something I'm not sure about.

Trenloe
September 16th, 2015, 15:57
The devs constantly look at community developed extensions/code and consider adding it to the main rulesets. Many things need to be considered before this is done: maturity of code, ease of fit into the current code, backwards compatibility, plans for future development, future maintainability, developer wishes, etc., etc.. It takes a while and the devs need to consider if there is ongoing development on the extension/code or if it is pretty stable and mature before they even start looking at inclusion. It's usually not just a case of plugging it in - there are usually additional aspects to take into account (the graphics being discussed in this thread is one such "thing" to consider).

The difference between loading an extension and having it included in the base product is minor (from a GM activity standpoint) - just load up the latest and greatest version and off you go. There's nothing stopping you using this great extension.

Is it a necessity? I'd say probably not for the majority of GMs. No offence Matt! It's a very, very, nice to have though... :)

dulux-oz
September 16th, 2015, 15:59
No offence Matt!

None taken :)

lsujonno
September 16th, 2015, 16:08
yeah, necessity wasn't the right word. It's just a great organizational tool.

Trenloe
September 16th, 2015, 16:12
It's just a great organizational tool.
It certainly is. :)

Nickademus
September 18th, 2015, 03:17
No, let's hear them please, Nick - just in case it's not being covered :)

Let's see....

I have a building (well several of them) that has an inventory full of items. My intent is to share the building with the players so they can access the inventory and see what the shop has in stock. I have basic descriptions in the primary tab of the building to let the players know what the building sells in general.

I also have made parcels that contain the items that I will use to stock the building inventory. I think I did this because some shops sell things at a different price and dragging the items directly from a library module and then changing the price was actually changing the price for the item in the module (well, in the moduledb file for that campaign). I needed a local version of the item so the price change wouldn't affect anything else. Parcels make a local copy of whatever you drag in there, so that worked. Or so I thought.

I linked the 'Stock' parcel into the GM Notes section of the primary building tab. When my players went shopping, I found a logic error to doing this. When I shared the building as a whole, FG shared the parcels linked in the GM notes section. When I unshared the parcels in the parcel list, the players lost access to the item descriptions for items in the building inventory.

This flaw is either in the way the extension handles links in the GM section or in the FG logic for sharing items when they are part of a parcel. I'd give an equal chance of either. At any rate, I'd rather see how you upgrade shops in the next version as I've heard you say they were rather slapdash in the current one.

dulux-oz
September 18th, 2015, 04:26
Let's see....

I have a building (well several of them) that has an inventory full of items. My intent is to share the building with the players so they can access the inventory and see what the shop has in stock. I have basic descriptions in the primary tab of the building to let the players know what the building sells in general.

I also have made parcels that contain the items that I will use to stock the building inventory. I think I did this because some shops sell things at a different price and dragging the items directly from a library module and then changing the price was actually changing the price for the item in the module (well, in the moduledb file for that campaign). I needed a local version of the item so the price change wouldn't affect anything else. Parcels make a local copy of whatever you drag in there, so that worked. Or so I thought.

I linked the 'Stock' parcel into the GM Notes section of the primary building tab. When my players went shopping, I found a logic error to doing this. When I shared the building as a whole, FG shared the parcels linked in the GM notes section. When I unshared the parcels in the parcel list, the players lost access to the item descriptions for items in the building inventory.

This flaw is either in the way the extension handles links in the GM section or in the FG logic for sharing items when they are part of a parcel. I'd give an equal chance of either. At any rate, I'd rather see how you upgrade shops in the next version as I've heard you say they were rather slapdash in the current one.

OK, thanks for that.

In the new version when an Item is dragged onto a Building's Inventory a copy of the Item Record is placed in the Building Record. This means that a Building's Items can be modified and it won't effect the original Item, even if the original Item comes from a Module. In fact, with the new % Mark-Up feature the cost of the copied Item is actually changed by the amount of the Mark-Up when the Item is first placed in the Building's Inventory (the Mark-Up can be set to 0% to preserve the original cost). So Parcels are not required and won't be accepted by the Building's Inventory (although I like your logic train of thought :) ).

This is also now how Building Inventories interact with PC Inventories - copies of the Item Records are made, so Sharing Issues should no-longer occur.

NPCs, Encounters, Map and Organizations (with the upcoming Organizations Extension) behave differently - they are direct links back to the Original Record, which means (for example) that a Building Occupant will need to be Shared along with the Building for the NPC's details to be shown to the Players. If the NPC (or other) Record is not Shared, then the NPC will show up in the NPC list but when the Player tries to open the NPC to see the details the system will display a Messagebox and fail gracefully. This eliminates the "orphan" record & crashing issues (I believe).

Although I haven't tested this stuff out with Records from Modules yet (apart from Items from Modules) I fully expect it to work the same way. This should eliminate the issues you (Nick) have reported to be in regards to Modules of Stock Buildings, etc.

As a teaser: you can also now "sell services" such as Tavern Meals, Inn Rooms, Stagecoach Travel, etc, by Dragging-&-Dropping specially marked Items to a PC's Inventory. The cost of the "Service" will be deducted from the PC's funds (provided they have enough of the correct coin) but the "Service Item" won't show up in the PC's Inventory. This will require first creating such a "Service Item" in the Items sub-system so that it can be dragged to a Building's Inventory. Once in a Building's Inventory, however, the "Service Item" can be safely removed from the Items sub-system (if desired). The system was designed this way to prevent the issues that arose in previous versions when Items (& other records) could be created directly from the Building's Inventory List.

As a 2nd teaser: with the upcoming WMC Extension the system will also be able to convert one type of coin into another (provided that the GM has told the system the exchange rates) with an appropriate "Money Changer's Fee" (GM-settable) and take and give back the correct coinage and change when Buying and Selling to a Building.

Any other concerns or questions please ask - and as a per-emptive answer (strike): I'll be releasing it As Soon(TM) As Possible :p

Cheers

damned
September 18th, 2015, 05:05
bloody brilliant old chap!

Nickademus
September 18th, 2015, 12:45
Like I said, it probably wouldn't be an issue in the new version. Good to know.

I am curious about the functionality of a stock list. I'd like to put a list of items that may not necessarily be available at the time; meaning they wouldn't show up in the list for the players to see. This could be good for black-market items that you don't want the players to know is available right away.

dulux-oz
September 18th, 2015, 13:13
Like I said, it probably wouldn't be an issue in the new version. Good to know.

I am curious about the functionality of a stock list. I'd like to put a list of items that may not necessarily be available at the time; meaning they wouldn't show up in the list for the players to see. This could be good for black-market items that you don't want the players to know is available right away.

Covered, in two complimentary ways: first of all each entry in an Inventory, NPC, Map, Encounter or Organization List has a "GM Only" Checkbox - if the Checkox is checked it doesn't show up in the Players' view. Second, each entry in an Inventory has a "Count": if the Count is "0" (ie out of stock) then again, the Item won't show up for the Players. Both these functions are simply markers for the list Filter; once the marker/filter condition no longer applies (ie no Check in the Checkbox / a Count > 0) then the entry will appear in the Players' view - provided the parent Place is being Shared, of course :)

And for those Inventory Items with an Unlimited supply: simply set the Count to "-1" - it'll show up as a Count of "U" for the Players

Happy? :p

Cheers :)

viresanimi
September 18th, 2015, 17:16
Any other concerns or questions please ask - and as a per-emptive answer (strike): I'll be releasing it As Soon(TM) As Possible

Teeeeeease!

Seriously though; it looks cool and I can't wait for it. Keep up the good work!

Vires Animi

Nickademus
September 18th, 2015, 21:07
Happy? :p

Never doubted you for a minute.

Dragontail
September 25th, 2015, 20:40
Hello,

I am new to the system (just bought it 10mins ago) and after reading most of this thread from start to finish I missed where the video tutorial was posted for it (if any) could someone link it for me (if any) so i can review it. Especially since im sure my 9yr old understood more of the programming lingo then I do lol

Blackfoot
September 25th, 2015, 20:43
Hello,

I am new to the system (just bought it 10mins ago) and after reading most of this thread from start to finish I missed where the video tutorial was posted for it (if any) could someone link it for me (if any) so i can review it. Especially since im sure my 9yr old understood more of the programming lingo then I do lol
If you just purchased FG... this extension probably isn't as big a priority to you as other things right now. All it does is add some functionality which you might want to look into once you are more comfortable with FG in general. :) Start with the basics. There are some great clips showing how to use FG that are linked on the main FG page...

dulux-oz
September 26th, 2015, 03:49
Hello,

Yeah, as Blackfoot said, there is no Tutorial Video for this Extension yet - it's on my list of To-Dos (and there's a radically new version just around the corner (ie Soon(TM))). If you haven't seen them already then check out the general FG Tutorial Videos in my sig, below (also available from the FG Wiki). Once you've got a hang of that then (please) come back to this Extension and we'll get you all set-up and going :)

Cheers

Dragontail
September 26th, 2015, 15:55
The videos I have been watching seem to be for an earlier version. Some of the stuff doesnt seem to work as video tellsme it should :(

MTS
September 26th, 2015, 16:55
I am SOOO watching/waiting with anticipation for the new version! Is it worth getting the old version first, or best to hold tight for "soon(tm)"? :)

dulux-oz
September 27th, 2015, 02:12
The videos I have been watching seem to be for an earlier version. Some of the stuff doesnt seem to work as video tellsme it should :(

Which ones (mine or other peoples')? Mine are an ongoing series, although I've been held up for quite a while now getting the next one out. I started doing my latest series when v3 of FG came out, updating all of the v2 videos to new ones. Since I started 5E has come on board and Fg in general has been improved (again, and again, and again!). The earlier ones in the series are mostly correct, but yes, I do need to do and do plan to do a "final" update video at the end of the series to bring them all back up to the most current iteration of FG.

What in particular are you having trouble with?

dulux-oz
September 27th, 2015, 02:21
I am SOOO watching/waiting with anticipation for the new version! Is it worth getting the old version first, or best to hold tight for "soon(tm)"? :)

No, go ahead and start using the current version - just tread very lightly around the Building Inventory system, and maybe the NPC/Encounter stuff as well - they're the main two areas that are different between v3 and the new v4 - this stuff will work on translation/upgrade but with all the new functionality you'll want/have to go in and update the data in these areas when you update to v4.

For this reason you'll probably want to hold off on creating any new Modules and such as well.

The rest of it updates clean, with no user intervention, so go your hardest! :)

And as an update/teaser, I'm heavily into Alpha-testing at the moment - which means all the feature coding is done and I'm just making sure it works properly with each Ruleset - so Soon(TM) is becoming Sooner(TM)!

Cheers

Nickademus
September 27th, 2015, 03:51
I use the building inventory in its current state. It is solid enough to serve you in the mean time.

The only real problem that I've found is that the GM cannot click and edit the numerical amounts of items in the inventory. You can get around this by typing a positive or negative number in the modifier box and dragging it on the number field. For example, say the inventory has 20 pitons and a player decides to buy 5. Type '-5' into the modifier box and drag it onto the 20 amount. FG will subtract 5 leaving 15 pitons in the inventory.

Dragontail
September 27th, 2015, 04:04
Dulux - I think most of my problems come from lack of knowledge of the system - and expectations greater then what the program can deliver :( Been asking questions in newbie section and im making head way

dulux-oz
September 27th, 2015, 05:33
I use the building inventory in its current state. It is solid enough to serve you in the mean time.

Yeah, it is, but if you haven't already invested a lot of time and effort in that particular area then, as I said, I'd tread lightly - a lot's changed in that area, and it's going to require some manual intervention/editing once data goes from the v3 version to the v4 version - I'm trying to minimise the manual stuff, but it can't be eliminated - so, you have been informed :p

Cheers

dulux-oz
September 27th, 2015, 05:35
Dulux - I think most of my problems come from lack of knowledge of the system - and expectations greater then what the program can deliver :( Been asking questions in newbie section and im making head way

Cool - the videos will help (especially the ones dated for 2014/15) but everyone learns in their own way - and the Community is always willing to answer questions :)

Cheers

gmdmb3
October 14th, 2015, 01:52
Ruleset Error: window: Control(divider1) anchoring to an undefined control (gAnchorLeft) in windowclass (wcBuildingMain)
Ruleset Error: window: Control(divider1) anchoring to an undefined control (gAnchorLeft) in windowclass (wcBuildingMain)
Ruleset Error: window: Control(divider1) anchoring to an undefined control (gAnchorRight) in windowclass (wcBuildingMain)
Ruleset Error: window: Control(divider1) anchoring to an undefined control (gAnchorRight) in windowclass (wcBuildingMain)

I get this when i tried to add a new building, any ideas?

dulux-oz
October 14th, 2015, 03:14
Yeah, you've been using it with either my CSG Extension or my Alignment Graph Extension - there's a know incompatibility between them which has been fixed and will be in the new release (of each).

For the time being, don't load the CSG and/or the AG with the Locations Extension

I'm working as fast as I can to get things fixed, so please bear with me.

If you haven't been using either of these two Extensions with the Locations Extension, then please let me know - because that'll be a brand new bug I'll need to track down

Cheers, and Thanks

gmdmb3
October 14th, 2015, 03:58
that was the culprit thank you for the quick response.

dulux-oz
October 14th, 2015, 04:17
that was the culprit thank you for the quick response.

As a bit of an ego trip (now that we've got that sorted - sort of) do you find the CSG and/or AG useful, or were you just "checking them out"?

One of the frustrating things about developing Extensions and other stuff for FG is that you generally only hear from people when things aren't going 100% - you never hear from them when things are going right (apart from the odd one or two) so its hard to judge is its worth the effort to put things together. It's not really an ego-trip either, its more of simply good to know if things are being used, if people find them useful, and (at its most primitive) its its actually worth the time and effort it takes to produce things.

I'm sure I'm not the only Community Dev who'd like to know how people feel about their product - I know the Savage World boys like getting feedback, for example, and I know some people are using the Locations Extension, so its nice to know how other Rulesets, Extensions, Modules, Map, etc are being received as well :)

But enough ego!

Cheers

gmdmb3
October 14th, 2015, 04:41
As a bit of an ego trip (now that we've got that sorted - sort of) do you find the CSG and/or AG useful, or were you just "checking them out"?

One of the frustrating things about developing Extensions and other stuff for FG is that you generally only hear from people when things aren't going 100% - you never hear from them when things are going right (apart from the odd one or two) so its hard to judge is its worth the effort to put things together. It's not really an ego-trip either, its more of simply good to know if things are being used, if people find them useful, and (at its most primitive) its its actually worth the time and effort it takes to produce things.

I'm sure I'm not the only Community Dev who'd like to know how people feel about their product - I know the Savage World boys like getting feedback, for example, and I know some people are using the Locations Extension, so its nice to know how other Rulesets, Extensions, Modules, Map, etc are being received as well :)

But enough ego!

Cheers

If I'm being honest...

I probably won't use the Color gizmo very much, unless you come up with a way to change the die numbers as well.

But... i like the alignment chart and plan to use it on my players(true neutral thief and a dwarven paladin that is so stupid he only knows right from wrong, to name two of them). i thought it was only going to be a novelty at first so i tried the quiz on myself... I'm neutral-good thank you very much.

damned
October 14th, 2015, 04:54
...I'm sure I'm not the only Community Dev who'd like to know how people feel about their product...

Absolutely - it makes a big difference to the devs - if they get feedback that people are using it then they are more likely to do more with it. For example - MoreCore would get more work for instance if I knew if people were using it (I do see some posts on different game systems about people using it).

derDan
October 14th, 2015, 11:39
As a feedback to your work, I'm actually preparing my first campaign in FG and your Alignment Graph will play a major role to keep our crazy cleric and our unpredictable barbarian in track, which will be a lot of fun. And for the Locations Extension, I check this thread every day (!!!) out of sheer anticipation for the next version :)

Nickademus
October 14th, 2015, 19:40
Absolutely - it makes a big difference to the devs - if they get feedback that people are using it then they are more likely to do more with it. For example - MoreCore would get more work for instance if I knew if people were using it (I do see some posts on different game systems about people using it).

Ditto. I'm still amazed that people actually use my PF class and race mods. Their feedback encouraged me to overhaul them to be more user-friendly.

viresanimi
October 14th, 2015, 22:07
I surely keep a close out for this space also!

But MoreCore is something I hope will get a wee bit more into it some day. I actually use it a lot. It adds that little bit more functionality and since I mostly run games that are not mainstream or rp systems I've made myself, it is a great great thing to have.

So yeah. Thanks to all of you guys that can do these things. I wish I had the brains for it. I generally just have too many opinions and too much time to voice them. heee heee.

Vires Animi

damned
October 15th, 2015, 00:08
I surely keep a close out for this space also!

But MoreCore is something I hope will get a wee bit more into it some day. I actually use it a lot. It adds that little bit more functionality and since I mostly run games that are not mainstream or rp systems I've made myself, it is a great great thing to have.

If you put some suggestions forward for MoreCore that will keep it fairly generic (but do it in the MoreCore thread) I will gladly consider them.

gmdmb3
October 16th, 2015, 15:36
I don't want to be "THAT GUY" but, I am curious as to how things are moving along for the next version.

dulux-oz
October 17th, 2015, 01:54
I don't want to be "THAT GUY" but, I am curious as to how things are moving along for the next version.

They're coming along - getting the shopping functionality working correctly across all the supported Rulesets has proved more of a challenge than first anticipated; primarily because the SW Ruleset uses a different architecture to the rest of the CoreRPG-child rulesets, meaning I've had to write it more than once and then integrate the different versions. The new NPC/Organization/Encounter code works well across all Rulesets, as does the various new features which people have asked for (unfortunately, not everyone got their wish - sorry).

I'm still working on making sure previously created Modules will work with the new features/architecture, and of course ensuring that the Extension remains compatible with my other Extensions and with the new Extensions about to be released.

Apart from some minor tweeks and bug fixes the major differences between v3 and v4 are around Module Creation, NPC/Organization/Encounter Integration, and of course the Shopping Functionality - which means that tendrils of Extension Code are worming their way into a number of different existing sub-system and I've had to liaise with Moon Wizard and some of the Ruleset Devs to get the code to work properly - as you can imagine when you're playing with someone-else's code they can get "concerned" about what you're doing and how its going to effect their work. Still, the new FGv3.1.3 about to be released has some of my code-suggestions in it, so progress is being made.

Add in to all of that "life" and it makes the going slow - remember, I ain't getting paid for this, so earning a living's got to come first (feel free to shower me with luv (ie $$$) if you want :p ).

And don't worry, you're not being "THAT GUY" :)

Cheers

viresanimi
October 17th, 2015, 17:29
And don't worry, you're not being "THAT GUY"

No.. that would be me! *cackle*

But wow. That coding stuff you're doing seems darn complicated. I thought the whole point of Core was that everything would be nice and same-y with similar structure. But I guess individual rulesets still makes things difficult is a thing I didn't think about. Gotta say I am impressed you're going for "this works for everything"!

Vires Animi

dulux-oz
October 18th, 2015, 02:10
No.. that would be me! *cackle*

Yes, but that's OK :)

But wow. That coding stuff you're doing seems darn complicated. I thought the whole point of Core was that everything would be nice and same-y with similar structure. But I guess individual rulesets still makes things difficult is a thing I didn't think about. Gotta say I am impressed you're going for "this works for everything"!

Vires Animi

Yeah, Savage World has proven to be the most "difficult" - primarily I think because it was originally done under FGv2 and we were all "doing our own thing" back then. SW is a complex piece of code and the original architectural design decisions were different from the ones Moon used for 3E and 4E. When Moon retrofitted 3E and 4E into making CoreRPG naturally he used the same architecture as he had done before. When Doswelk, Ikael and Phantom Whale ported SW over to work with CoreRPG it looks like they made the decision to get their existing architecture to work with CoreRPG, instead of modifying the the SW architecture to sit on top of CoreRPG the same way that most other CoreRPG-child-rulesets do. That was a perfectly valid decision and almost certainly involved less work (& therefore time) to get SW working properly under FGv3.

The problem with doing this is when SOBs like me come along and try to create cross-ruleset Extensions (especially complex cross-ruleset Extensions) we hit this "different architectural wall" and have to either work around it or abandon support for the "difficult" Ruleset - and I don't like giving in!

Ikael
October 18th, 2015, 10:12
Just to clarify some things about Savage Worlds ruleset architecture and background, the ruleset has been around from FG v1 version, in FG v2 it was reimplemented to meet the new ruleset building model. There has always been many commercial products for it and the most important factor (business-wise) is to keep all those other products compatible with it. Savage Worlds v3.4 version upgraded its architecture (hidden from the audience) to match more on the current 4E ruleset architecture and to be honest it's still like that atm. Move to under CoreRPG was another massive retake but still the most important factor was to make sure existing products are compatible with it. The ruleset can and might be refactored to match CoreRPG even more, but the first move was not to make giant leap, just to make sure the baseline is working. The biggest issue has been that currently there are several product developers and coordination with them is challenging if we make significant changes to existing code.

Since Savage Worlds v3.5 to current beta of v4.2 I have been doing 99% of the coding for the ruleset plus code upgrades to most of the other commercial extension driven Savage Worlds products (50 Fathoms, Fantasy Companion, Horror Companion, Interface Zero, Necropolis, Rippers, Savage Suzerain, Science Fiction Companion, Slipstream, Sundered Skies). Like you, I am not paid at all, but probably not because no on wants to pay me, but that I have made decision to do all this for free and because of my own interest. The driving force for me is that it has been interesting and fun to do it, but it won't last forever. I am happy about my contribution to community so far and would love to help around making the Savage Worlds ruleset even more CoreRPG-like, but current setup might not motivate me enough to do it. At the moment I am more interested opening the secrects of the current Savage Worlds ruleset to others in hope others would start, dunno, taking my place.

-- I have promised myself to at least check your latest request of code change (since others don't have time for it) but not sure if I will do changes for it, depending on the complexity level and backward compatibility checking.

Yes, but that's OK :)

Yeah, Savage World has proven to be the most "difficult" - primarily I think because it was originally done under FGv2 and we were all "doing our own thing" back then. SW is a complex piece of code and the original architectural design decisions were different from the ones Moon used for 3E and 4E. When Moon retrofitted 3E and 4E into making CoreRPG naturally he used the same architecture as he had done before. When Doswelk, Ikael and Phantom Whale ported SW over to work with CoreRPG it looks like they made the decision to get their existing architecture to work with CoreRPG, instead of modifying the the SW architecture to sit on top of CoreRPG the same way that most other CoreRPG-child-rulesets do. That was a perfectly valid decision and almost certainly involved less work (& therefore time) to get SW working properly under FGv3.

The problem with doing this is when SOBs like me come along and try to create cross-ruleset Extensions (especially complex cross-ruleset Extensions) we hit this "different architectural wall" and have to either work around it or abandon support for the "difficult" Ruleset - and I don't like giving in!

dulux-oz
October 18th, 2015, 10:49
@Ikael => Mate, I understand completely. My comments weren't meant as a slur on you and the others and if that's how they came across I unreservedly apologize.

What I was trying to convey was why the new version of the Extension was taking so long to release - that's all!

I personally think the SW ruleset code-base is very good, and the more I delve into it the more I've grown to respect your (and the others') coding skills - you've taught me a few things which have helped my own code.

I know how popular SW is on FG and I'd simply like to make sure that I and my Extensions can be helpful to the SW user-base as well as the various DnD ones - its your code so its me who needs to come up with solutions, which I'm trying to do.

Anyway, let's take this off-line - I've sent you a PM :)

Cheers

Nickademus
October 29th, 2015, 05:40
Just had the weirdest thing happen when using this extension. Not sure how it happened, but I figure you'll want to know about it.

I'm working on a campaign that will be turned into a module (and already has been a few times). I had another adventure module open for some reason, linking an item from it to an NPC in this campaign I think. The NPC nor the item have any relation to the location I'm about to refer to.

I went to make a new location and pulled up a building/shop that I had previously made to use as a reference. Upon noticing the adventure module was still open and I no longer needed it, I closed it in the module activation window. All the items in the previously made shop disappeared. I opened the adventure module again and all the items reappeared. I closed the campaign and took a look at the xml files for the campaign database, the adventure module and the module of the campaign that I had exported in the past. I can't find the itemlist for that building in any file. Yet when FG is running and I open the adventure module, the list appears in the building (whether it is the current campaign or opened from a module in another campaign).

I have no idea how the itemlist became dependent on a separate module being open. I am recreating the building/shop and find the itemlist in the new one is not tied to the adventure module. Though, I'm still very curious where FG is getting the data for the building's inventory in the first place. The itemlist in the campaign db.xml and the exported module looks like this:
<itemlist>
</itemlist>

EDIT: Actually, upon looking further, I think I see what is happening. There were no items in the itemlist for the building/shop in the campaign. (I'm not sure if I just didn't put them in or if the list got deleted somehow.) The list that is showing up is actually the first list in the first opened module. When I close the adventure module and open a different one, the list in the building/shop of the current campaign changes to the inventory of the first building in the new module.

It looks like either FG or the extension is looking for something in the <itemlist> tag and when it doesn't find it in the current campaign it grabs something from a module.

dulux-oz
October 29th, 2015, 06:29
Curious, I've never seen that happening before.

There's nothing in the Extension Code (that I know about / can find) that would do that. I wonder if its in the fg.exe code somewhere - but if it was then why hasn't it shown up before - except that this is (I believe) the first Extension to tap into the Item system.

I've just tried to reproduce this under the new v4 Extension and I can't get it to happen, so it may have been fixed with the new code.

I think I'll keep an eye out for it in the new version, and see what, if anything, turns up

Thanks for letting me know

Cheers

Moon Wizard
October 29th, 2015, 09:28
It sounds like somewhere a windowlist is somehow pointing to module data. It can be done by the windowlist.setDatabaseNode or the windowlist.usealltrees flag. If you use either of these features in your extension code, it might be worth looking there.

Cheers,
JPG

dulux-oz
October 29th, 2015, 09:41
Yeah, that's what I initially thought - but I'm pretty sure those two are not used in the Extension.

As I said, curious

Cheers

Nickademus
October 29th, 2015, 19:45
Something else that might be related. I'm not sure exactly what's going on here, but these are my observations from a user's perspective.

The items in the building inventory do not seem to be hard copied. They seem to be links to the item module I drug them from. When I change the weight or cost field in the inventory, it changes it in the item information when the link is clicked AND it changes it in the item module when the item is pulled directly out of the module. (I'm not saying it is physically changing the module file, but rather putting a change in the moduledb.xml file so that the item module uses the values of the item in the building inventory.)

Most of the time, an item is hard copied directly into a parcel or a PC character sheet. (I think it only copies a link into the Items window list, which is why I always use parcels now.) It would probably be better to use the same method that the rulesets use for adding an item to a PC sheet. That might avoid databasenodes from being linked to the building inventory list.

Moon Wizard
October 29th, 2015, 20:17
That's good info. It sounds like the store item listing only saves references, not copying item records.

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
October 29th, 2015, 21:18
That's not entirely accurate, which is where my confusion comes in. Here is an item in the <shop> tag of the campaign db:

<id-00006>
<cost type="string">8 gents</cost>
<count type="number">3</count>
<name type="string">Pot</name>
<shortcut type="windowreference">
<class>item</class>
<recordname>reference.pot@Chronic Equipment</recordname>
</shortcut>
<weight type="number">4</weight>
</id-00006>

It has the cost and weight (for example) hard coded here. But it also has a reference to the item in the equipment module. Somehow, when it sets the value in the campaign database, it is also applying the change in the Chronic Equipment.xml file in the moduledb folder. I have no clue why it would do that when it already has all the information here.

Also I remembered that to get around this problem, I used to put the items in a parcel first and then place them in the building inventory. That way the changes are applied to the items in the parcel and not the moduledb data for the item module. This is what happens when I take a break from FG, I forgets stuff...

dulux-oz
October 30th, 2015, 01:55
OK, with that info I now consider this a non-issue - mainly because I've changed the way that non-Location Records are now linked into the Extension's Records: as I've said and inferred in the past, I've never been happy with the original way that NPCs, Encounters and Items were handled in the original Shop & Town Extensions Code and my bastardized "hack" in the early versions of this Extension. My focus in the early versions was on getting the "structure" right, assuming that the NPCs, etc links would be OK because they seemed to work from the original Extensions.

At this point I need to really thank Nick for doing so much "stress-testing" and finding out all the places I "got wrong" - thanks Nick!

I've completely rewritten the linking code and how these non-Location Records interact with this Extension - to the point where I KNOW that this latest issue will not occur in the same way under v4 - the code's different, the architecture is different, and the execution is different.

Now I've just got to get everything finalised for the FGv3.1.3 release :)

Cheers

Nickademus
October 30th, 2015, 02:37
OK, with that info I now consider this a non-issue - mainly because I've changed the way that non-Location Records are now linked into the Extension's Records
Good to know; I was hoping this was the case.

At this point I need to really thank Nick for doing so much "stress-testing" and finding out all the places I "got wrong" - thanks Nick!
No problem. I like to break things... well actually I don't. But I'm good at breaking things, so I'm glad it helps.

bullywug
November 3rd, 2015, 15:42
I've run into an odd problem. I'm using 4e and I've been adding items by dragging them from my library without problems for several shops now. All of a sudden, I can't add some items to the shops. It seems like 100% of the mundane items can no longer be added to the shops. I've created several new shops with different names and different amounts of information filled out but I've never run into this in the past, it just worked. Any guess as to what could be causing this?

dulux-oz
November 4th, 2015, 00:47
No idea - nothing's changed in the code (for months: public release) - Which version of FG are you using (v3.1.3)? Is it all mundane items or only those from a Module (& which modules)? Basically, what's changed on the system (even if you think its not related to the Extension)?

Good news is the new version will be out very soon after the FGv3.1.3 release, so this may not be an issue - Bad news is I still need to find out what's going on to make sure it doesn't happen in v4

Thanks

bullywug
November 4th, 2015, 11:59
I'm using Fantasy Grounds v.3.1.2 Ultimate. When I attempt to drag an item from the module window nothing happens. When I try to add one manually I get an error "Script Error: [string "name":1]: attempt to index a nil value". When I try to drag an item from the module window I get no error but nothing happens. When I try to drag a magical item from the library it adds the item without difficulty but if I try to manually type in the exact same power I get the error listed above.
I'm using the 4e scrapped library. Here's a link to the data files.** I've not installed any new software or made any changes I'm aware of. This started after I'd added about 18 shops inventory. The only thing I can think of that I did that's at all unusual is I created a module out of the locations so I could use them in other adventures (We're doing scales of war and I don't want to have to type this every time). However, this does not match up to when the problems started. I've added a number of shops with inventory without difficulties since then. I've uploaded the most recent copy of the locations module here (https://1drv.ms/1GL9eZF)in case you want to see it. I've also tried loading the module in my other adventure and it exhibits the same behavior there as well.
I hope all this information helps. Love the module. Hope I can figure out how to get it to work.

** MODERATOR: I've removed the link to the 4E copyright material. Please don't post copyright protected material on these forums. Thanks.

dulux-oz
November 4th, 2015, 12:10
Thanks - I'll check things out and get back to you ASAP

Cheers

bullywug
November 12th, 2015, 17:00
Not to rush you but just curious if you've had any luck running down the problem in the module? I'm currently working on an adventure and I was just thinking that if you've not had a chance to look at it yet I would probably disable the extension until one of us is able to figure out what went wrong.
Thanks.

Redemption77
November 12th, 2015, 19:18
Hopefully hes able to respond with the magic words "The new extension is done and all problems should be fixed!"

bullywug
November 12th, 2015, 20:37
Hopefully hes able to respond with the magic words "The new extension is done and all problems should be fixed!"

That would be nice.

dulux-oz
November 13th, 2015, 00:16
The new extension is done and all problems should be fixed!

BUT

It won't be released for a little while because I've got other things to do first - my advice is if its causing issues disable it for the few days to a week until I can get the damn thing out! :)

Cheers

gmdmb3
November 13th, 2015, 00:45
The new extension is done and all problems should be fixed!

BUT

It won't be released for a little while because I've got other things to do first - my advice is if its causing issues disable it for the few days to a week until I can get the damn thing out! :)

Cheers

Ugh Knife > Heart > Twist. lol

dulux-oz
November 13th, 2015, 01:02
Ugh Knife > Heart > Twist. lol

Walet ~= $$$ => Food == none => starve => Extension == none, lol

I know people are waiting (some of you desperately) and believe me, I believe it'll be worth the wait, but you can have it Cheap, Good or Fast: pick two (& you've already picked Cheap, so that leaves... )

I'll get it out as fast as I can, but I've got a life outside FG, believe it or not :)

Redemption77
November 13th, 2015, 01:17
You could start hooking dulux. That may solve some of your issues.

On a serious note though we all appreciate the hard work you do for us here with all your work on FG. You're an amazing talent and we wouldnt be hounding you so badly for your extensions if they sucked so our badgering is kind of like an award from the community!

dulux-oz
November 13th, 2015, 01:55
You could start hooking dulux. That may solve some of your issues.

I've tried - no-one wants me :(

On a serious note though we all appreciate the hard work you do for us here with all your work on FG. You're an amazing talent and we wouldnt be hounding you so badly for your extensions if they sucked so our badgering is kind of like an award from the community!

Yeah I know, I'm just trying to let people know I haven't forgotten about them nor my commitments, and I am working as fast as I can, but "life" keeps rearing it ugly head.

It's cool, but people are just going to have to be patient! :)

bobbylain
November 13th, 2015, 02:15
Take a +5 Vorpal Greatsword and swing it at life. lol

bullywug
November 13th, 2015, 10:20
I've tried - no-one wants me :(

Yeah I know, I'm just trying to let people know I haven't forgotten about them nor my commitments, and I am working as fast as I can, but "life" keeps rearing it ugly head.

It's cool, but people are just going to have to be patient! :)

Thank's for the update. Take your time getting around to it. No one here will die without the update.

gmdmb3
November 13th, 2015, 21:54
I fully agree with what others are saying take your time and deal with life first man. I'm sorry if it seemed like i was trying to rush things, it was not my intention. the #313 post was plenty of an update for me. my response to it was just meant in fun. I hope all of life's crap doesn't stick to your fur!

Redemption77
November 24th, 2015, 19:27
*Looks around with shifty eyes while thumbing through things on Dulux's desk* Hmmmm interesting. So...Dulux, you catching up on life? How things treating you?

gmdmb3
November 25th, 2015, 00:53
*Looks around with shifty eyes while thumbing through things on Dulux's desk* Hmmmm interesting. So...Dulux, you catching up on life? How things treating you?

Hopefully better than us ungrateful, impatient extension users are treating him! ;)

dulux-oz
November 25th, 2015, 01:58
*Looks around with shifty eyes while thumbing through things on Dulux's desk*

*Finds an Invoice addressed to Redemption77 for one (1) Locations Extension, marked "Unpaid"*

Redemption77
November 25th, 2015, 03:06
Ohh well damn. Checks in the mail Dulux, I assure you!

dulux-oz
November 25th, 2015, 04:06
Ohh well damn. Checks in the mail Dulux, I assure you!

So's the Extension.

And I think you mean cheque :p

We take PayPal and Patreon for you shopping convenience :)

bobbylain
November 28th, 2015, 06:12
awesome where do I go for some paypal donations

damned
November 28th, 2015, 06:51

Dulux has a Patreon (which I only just noticed) you can support...
https://www.patreon.com/dulux_oz

dulux-oz
November 28th, 2015, 07:17

Dulux has a Patreon (which I only just noticed) you can support...
https://www.patreon.com/dulux_oz

Either's good for me - [email protected] for PayPal, the link above for Patreon

Cheers

Weepdrag
November 28th, 2015, 19:27
AWESOME EXTENSION!

Now the questions begin.
I've looked through the preceding 33 pages of this thread and couldn't find answers to the following :

1. How does a PC use this?
2. If a PC sells an item, is the base price used, a calculation, or some other algorithm?
3. When I created a test PC, and connected, the locations section was blank, configuration issue?
4. Items can't be pulled directly from a library, is this as intended? Or, again a configuration issue?

I have data, I've already input the whole city of Sassarine in preparation for a Savage Tides scenario, so I'm reasonably sure that something should be there.

Thanks for any input in advance and thanks for your great work.

bullywug
November 28th, 2015, 19:51
Either's good for me - [email protected] for PayPal, the link above for Patreon

Cheers

So I'd love to donate but I'm a student and I can't commit to ongoing monthly charges. Is there a way to make a one time payment?

pacio49
November 28th, 2015, 21:23
2. If a PC sells an item, is the base price used, a calculation, or some other algorithm?
3. When I created a test PC, and connected, the locations section was blank, configuration issue?
4. Items can't be pulled directly from a library, is this as intended? Or, again a configuration issue?

1. The DM needs to share each entry with the PCs either through the radial menu, or by dragging the link to chat or to the specific character with access to it.
2. Unknown to me.
3. Seems related to the need to share the Locations sheets with the party from number 1.
4. Can't answer this one either.

Half of your questions answered!

dulux-oz
November 29th, 2015, 00:01
So I'd love to donate but I'm a student and I can't commit to ongoing monthly charges. Is there a way to make a one time payment?

Yeah - make a donation via PayPal (use "Send" from the Menubar at the top of the PayPal website) :)

dulux-oz
November 29th, 2015, 00:25
AWESOME EXTENSION!

Now the questions begin.
I've looked through the preceding 33 pages of this thread and couldn't find answers to the following :

I have data, I've already input the whole city of Sassarine in preparation for a Savage Tides scenario, so I'm reasonably sure that something should be there.

Thanks for any input in advance and thanks for your great work.

Thanks, glad you like it.

PCs really don't (at least, not yet) - at this stage its more for the GM to use to record the relevant details. Before I developed this most GMs (when they recorded this info at all) used Story Records. The Locations Extension is simply a more structured and "auto-linking" way to record the information. If the GM shares a Place Record with one or more Players then the Players will be able to see the info, but not manipulate it.
There is no "shop" function in version 3 (the current version) or earlier, so the question is null. Any Item Record dragged to or from a Building Inventory simply copies the Item Record to the new Record, similar to dragging an Item Record to the Character Sheet. HOWEVER (Warning: Teaser Alert), in the Soon(TM) To Be Released version 4 I've written a full shop/shopping function so PCs can Buy and Sell Items (& Services - a special type of Item) form Buildings designated as "Shops" to their hearts content: the price is determined on a "Shop"-by-"Shop" basis using the original Item's Cost and percentages in a (relatively) simple calculation - all fully controllable by the GM, including "Shop" Purchase Limits, "Out of Stock" settings, Limited and Unlimited Stock, and "Shops" that Buy but not Sell and vice-versa. For Buildings not designated as "Shops" Items can be Dragged and Dropped and the currency calculations won't be applied.
Yes, PCs won't see anything unless the GM shared the record.
One of the reasons v4 is taking so long to get out is that I've completely re-written the NPC and the Item/Inventory linking sub-systems because: (1) I've never been entirely happy with it and (2) it would throw up issues such as this. So to answer your question: it's neither a configuration issue nor as intended - its probably a bug. Which Library Module and which Ruleset is doing this: I'd like to confirm is not an issue in the new version.

If you like this Extension then check out my other Extensions (all on the Extensions (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Extensions) page of the FG Wiki) and the Soon(TM) To Be Released Organisations Extension.

Cheers

Weepdrag
November 29th, 2015, 01:22
Thanks Dulux,
Geez, do you Aussies sleep?
1-3. Got it, I jumped the gun a bit. I hope the 500+ entries that I've already created will transfer to the next release. Just as a little bug in your ear, It would be peachy to have an option for basing prices bought / sold on a PC's CHA or other factors such as alignment, etc. in a future release. My philosophy on GMing is to bilk the PC's put of every CP to keep them adventuring.
4. I tried every library mod I have. Some that I created, and some contributed. Even tried the core libraries for the 3.5e ruleset. I haven't tried any other rulesets as of yet.

Thanks for the quick reply.

dulux-oz
November 29th, 2015, 03:19
Thanks Dulux,
Geez, do you Aussies sleep?
1-3. Got it, I jumped the gun a bit. I hope the 500+ entries that I've already created will transfer to the next release. Just as a little bug in your ear, It would be peachy to have an option for basing prices bought / sold on a PC's CHA or other factors such as alignment, etc. in a future release. My philosophy on GMing is to bilk the PC's put of every CP to keep them adventuring.
4. I tried every library mod I have. Some that I created, and some contributed. Even tried the core libraries for the 3.5e ruleset. I haven't tried any other rulesets as of yet.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do we sleep? I sometimes sleep, but when I do I receive telepathic messages from certain individuals who's names shall be withheld (hi Redemption77, hi gmdmb3, hi everyone else) to hurry up and get my Extensions done! :p

The entries should go over to the new version OK, but the Inventory "stuff" you'll probably want to re-do due to the extra functionality, etc.

This Extension is written for ALL CoreRPG-child Rulesets, so putting in a Ruleset-specific function (as opposed to a single entry which has no code behind it, like the Alignment Entry) is fraught with "issues". I've done it once with the Alignment-dependencies on the Plane Records and thought long and hard before I did - AND I made sure that it could be safely ignored for those Ruleset that don't follow a DnD-style alignment system.

So tieing "shop" price to something like Charisma is problematic - not only for Rulesets that don't have a Charisma Score but for those that do. For example: One of the games I play (and am writing a Ruleset for) is the old TSR Alternity game. It uses Charisma (Personality, actually) but scores it from 4-14, not the DnD 3-18.

So, no, while something like that helps a single Ruleset it harms all the others. And besides, if you want to bilk your Players then you should be doing it interactively as the GM, not relying upon an (semi-)automatic system. :)

Cheers

Weepdrag
November 29th, 2015, 04:24
Boo, hiss, this extension should satisfy my every whim! ��

Understood, the functionality that I'm dreaming of would compromise the universality of the extension. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Oh, and about the telepathy thing; they make tin foil hats for that problem.

Thanks again

dulux-oz
November 29th, 2015, 06:00
Oh, and about the telepathy thing; they make tin foil hats for that problem.

Yeah, but have you ever tried to sleep in a tin foil hat????

dulux-oz
December 8th, 2015, 01:14
Hi Everyone,

I'm giving everyone an early Christmas Present - A new version (v4) of the Extension has been attached to post #1. Please note the dependency that this new version has on the DOE Base Extension.

If anyone finds any bugs please let me know - this was a pretty major re-write so something almost certainly slipped through the testing net - Cheers

Enjoy :)

And Merry Christmas!

viresanimi
December 8th, 2015, 01:45
I get this:

Script Error: [string "sOrbitMeasure"]:1: attempt to index field 'sOrbitBody' (a nil value)

when ever I try to make a new "system" in the locations extention or if I try to open a closed link of said system. Tested in a totally new campaign, with no data in it or any other extensions running. It was made for testing your new extensions.

Only error I've found so far. Thanks man. These extensions look quite amazing and can't wait to put them to good use.

Vires Animi

dulux-oz
December 8th, 2015, 02:14
I get this:

Script Error: [string "sOrbitMeasure"]:1: attempt to index field 'sOrbitBody' (a nil value)

when ever I try to make a new "system" in the locations extention or if I try to open a closed link of said system. Tested in a totally new campaign, with no data in it or any other extensions running. It was made for testing your new extensions.

Only error I've found so far. Thanks man. These extensions look quite amazing and can't wait to put them to good use.

Vires Animi

And there's the first bug that slipped through :( Thanks V - I'll get that sorted.

Edit: Right, try that (bl00dy typos!) :)

bobbylain
December 8th, 2015, 05:05
looks awesome thanks for all your hard work. I'm gona have time in the next couple of weeks to really test things out. I just created a couple of new campaigns just for testing things out.

dulux-oz
December 8th, 2015, 05:10
Check out the new Organisations Extension as well - they really work well together!

Cheers

Weepdrag
December 9th, 2015, 05:37
Hey Dulux,
Another one for the possible bug pile:
When I create a new location or try to edit an existing one I get the following:

Script Error: [string "DOEBase/Scripts/IsMiscFunctions.lua"--]:349: attempt to index a nil value

Sorry about typos, I hate tablets

BTW Awesome extension, it appears that all of the data transferred as it should have.

dulux-oz
December 9th, 2015, 05:53
Hey Dulux,
Another one for the possible bug pile:
When I create a new location or try to edit an existing one I get the following:

Script Error: [string "DOEBase/Scripts/IsMiscFunctions.lua"--]:349: attempt to index a nil value

Sorry about typos, I hate tablets

OK, thanks for the notice.

I can't reproduce this - could you please tell me the Ruleset and any Extensions you have loaded, and what are you trying to edit when you edit an existing location record (and what type of location record)?

Thanks

bobbylain
December 9th, 2015, 06:15
Im getting that error occasionally using 3.5 ruleset. when I try to type a name in for a portal. I get that error message with each letter I type. and using ruleset 5E I got it a couple of times trying to test out organizations and general locations. So far I'm only seeing that error when trying to edit a name.(Script Error: [string "DOEBase/Scripts/IsMiscFunctions.lua"--]:348: attempt to index a nil value )

Also I tried organizations in 3.5 and 5E and 4E and any time I delete a single entry it deletes the entire list of organizations list and closes the organizations window. (acts kinda like a loop that doesn't have a stop condition, so deletes all the way through the list)

dulux-oz
December 9th, 2015, 06:25
OK, thanks guys - I'll take a look at both issues and get them fixed asap

Cheers

bobbylain
December 9th, 2015, 06:26
I sent you a psr report showing the screen shots, it should help. Thanks for being quick to respond btw.

Weepdrag
December 9th, 2015, 15:16
Same circumstances as bobbylain, exactly. I have no other extensions turned on and no libraries active.

zeracool2k
December 9th, 2015, 19:04
Hello,
I'm having a visualization problem with the locations extension and the 5e ruleset.

When using the extension, the main Locations sheet looks weird, with a vertical, unreadable title (see attached screenshot), and its tabs are yellow-ish instead of grey. Moreover, all tabs from other sheets also change color to yellowish (see screenshot) when the extension is active.

dulux-oz
December 10th, 2015, 00:10
Hi Zera,

Taking a really close look at the Chatbox in your screenshot, I can tell that you are not running v4 of the Locations Extension - download a fresh copy from the first post in this Thread and you should be good

Cheers

zeracool2k
December 10th, 2015, 01:18
Worked like a charm.

I don't know what happened, I downloaded both the extension and manual module yesterday, but somehow the extension was not overwritten.

Thanks!

dulux-oz
December 10th, 2015, 01:24
Worked like a charm.

I don't know what happened, I downloaded both the extension and manual module yesterday, but somehow the extension was not overwritten.

Thanks!

You've the 2nd person today that's reported an issue that's been traced back to a previous version - I wonder if the Server Issues SW had yesterday caused an older version to be downloaded temporarily somehow.

Anyway, you're all good now so :)

Cheers

gmdmb3
December 10th, 2015, 14:52
ok so...
Press the locations button on the sidebar > no problems > Right click in the main tab "add new" > no problems > click the "new location" link that opens > Script Error: [string "snAltitude"]:1: attempt to call field 'fpSimplifySciNotation' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "snArea"]:1: attempt to call field 'fpSimplifySciNotation' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "Locations/Scripts/lsLocationMainGeo.lua"]:22: attempt to call field 'fpUpdateCtrl' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "snAltitude"]:1: attempt to call field 'fpSimplifySciNotation' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "snArea"]:1: attempt to call field 'fpSimplifySciNotation' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "Locations/Scripts/lsLocationMainPolitical.l..."]:36: attempt to call field 'fpUpdateCtrl' (a nil value)
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template (tgcAnchorLeft) in windowclass (wcNotes)
Script Error: [string "Locations/Scripts/lsLocationMainGeo.lua"]:22: attempt to call field 'fpUpdateCtrl' (a nil value)

ffujita
December 10th, 2015, 23:45
Has anyone done a video walk through of this extension?
Has anyone done a module of the 5e Player's Handbook equipment lists?
Would making such a module be a violation of anyone's copyright?

ffujita
December 10th, 2015, 23:57
Sorry for the double post, but I just found this wonderful extension, and I'm learning how to use it.

In order to show a shop to the players, I've dropped the building link onto the chat box, before that, it didn't show up on the players Building tab.

The Shops want the players to have gp (lowercase) but the adventure modules grant GP (uppercase). Is there an easy way to keep it simple? It's still easier to change your GP to gp when you enter the shop, and then back to GP when you're done shopping than it is to manually keep track of the things you buy, but...

Thanks again!

dulux-oz
December 11th, 2015, 00:18
@gmdmb3: Thanks, I'll see what's going on and get it fixed asap.

@ffujita: No, there's no video. There is the Manual, which is just a FG-Module. As for the 5E equipment module, I don't know, someone else will have to answer that. In relation to copyright, it depends upon what the Module contained - but youcould certainly make one for yourself without issue, you just couldn't give it to anyone else *depending upon what it contained).

Whatever the original price denomination of the Item dragged to the shop will be the required denomination when the shop "sells". I know that "gp" and "GP" are the same thing to us, but to a computer "gp", "GP" and "Gold Piece" are three different things. So yes, "gp" is different from "GP", and "gp" is also the default when a denomination isn't specified. Remember, this Extension is designed to be used with a number of different Rulesets, and even within Rulesets different coin-types can exist in different campaigns (eg Steel Coins in 3.5E Dragonlance and Gold Coins in 3.5E Greyhawk). Its probably easier in your case to explicitly set the Items cost to "GP" (probably before you drag them into as shop).

I am working on a very sophisticated additional Extension that will do currency conversions automatically, but its complex and a little way off yet.

Cheers

dulux-oz
December 11th, 2015, 00:34
Im getting that error occasionally using 3.5 ruleset. when I try to type a name in for a portal. I get that error message with each letter I type. and using ruleset 5E I got it a couple of times trying to test out organizations and general locations. So far I'm only seeing that error when trying to edit a name.(Script Error: [string "DOEBase/Scripts/IsMiscFunctions.lua"--]:348: attempt to index a nil value )

OK, I still can't reproduce the error :( (well, I suppose that should be :), but I'd rather get it fixed)

OK, so if its only occasionally then it must be a specific set of circumstances that cause it - if people feel so inclined could they take note of exactly the situation if/when it occurs - thanks

bobbylain
December 11th, 2015, 01:13
yeah cant get it consistently happen, I scrapped all my new test campaigns where it only comes up occasionally. Haven't been able to reproduce a constant reproducible set of circumstances. I'll keep trying. I'm wanting to chalk it up to user causing the issue some how. cause in my first two test campaigns it happened every time I was on the portal tab for ever character I typed in the name.(as you saw from the screenshots) then when I was in my 5e test campaign it was happening when trying to edit organization names every time.

I started with new test campaigns and haven't been able to reproduce it again. I'm not seeing it as a bug but something that happens under specific conditions that are probably related to what the user enters into the field. like maybe parsing integers into strings or something like that.

the organizations deletion issue is something Ive been able to constantly repro ever single time with every rule set so far. that one has gota be a bug cause I havent found an instance where it doesnt delete the whole list.

dulux-oz
December 11th, 2015, 01:46
Hi Everyone,

Although this should really be over in the Organisations Extension Thread (and it is) I've just updated the Organisations Extension to fix the reported Deletion bug

Cheers

dulux-oz
December 11th, 2015, 03:05
ok so...
Press the locations button on the sidebar > no problems > Right click in the main tab "add new" > no problems > click the "new location" link that opens > Script Error: [string "snAltitude"]:1: attempt to call field 'fpSimplifySciNotation' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "snAltitude"]:1: attempt to call field 'fpSimplifySciNotation' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "Locations/Scripts/lsLocationMainPolitical.l..."]:36: attempt to call field 'fpUpdateCtrl' (a nil value)
Ruleset Warning: Could not find template (tgcAnchorLeft) in windowclass (wcNotes)

Mate, I can't reproduce that error - which Ruleset are you using, plus which Extension do you have loaded - and looking very closely at the error messages you included, I need to ask you to please confirm that it says "DOE Locations Extension v4.0" in the Chatbox on load (cross-confirm this by checking that the icon in the Chatbox is a globe and not the Purple Die Over Australia icon) - thanks

gmdmb3
December 11th, 2015, 03:06
@gmdmb3: Thanks, I'll see what's going on and get it fixed asap.

@ffujita: No, there's no video. There is the Manual, which is just a FG-Module. As for the 5E equipment module, I don't know, someone else will have to answer that. In relation to copyright, it depends upon what the Module contained - but youcould certainly make one for yourself without issue, you just couldn't give it to anyone else *depending upon what it contained).

Whatever the original price denomination of the Item dragged to the shop will be the required denomination when the shop "sells". I know that "gp" and "GP" are the same thing to us, but to a computer "gp", "GP" and "Gold Piece" are three different things. So yes, "gp" is different from "GP", and "gp" is also the default when a denomination isn't specified. Remember, this Extension is designed to be used with a number of different Rulesets, and even within Rulesets different coin-types can exist in different campaigns (eg Steel Coins in 3.5E Dragonlance and Gold Coins in 3.5E Greyhawk). Its probably easier in your case to explicitly set the Items cost to "GP" (probably before you drag them into as shop).

I am working on a very sophisticated additional Extension that will do currency conversions automatically, but its complex and a little way off yet.

Cheers

Cool if you need any additional info from just let me know and in addition to the previous report,i can close the error window and the entry is there. Also, I get an error popping up every time i try to name an entry. and it pops up literally on EVERY letter i type, but only in the name field, and agin i can close the error window and my changes are still there but i have to do it on every letter.

P.S. are you gonna get some rest after this... You've earned it.

gmdmb3
December 11th, 2015, 03:10
Mate, I can't reproduce that error - which Ruleset are you using, plus which Extension do you have loaded - and looking very closely at the error messages you included, I need to ask you to please confirm that it says "DOE Locations Extension v4.0" in the Chatbox on load (cross-confirm this by checking that the icon in the Chatbox is a globe and not the Purple Die Over Australia icon) - thanks

That is how it all looks when i start my game.
pathfinder ruleset

dulux-oz
December 11th, 2015, 03:12
Cool if you need any additional info from just let me know and in addition to the previous report,i can close the error window and the entry is there. Also, I get an error popping up every time i try to name an entry. and it pops up literally on EVERY letter i type, but only in the name field, and agin i can close the error window and my changes are still there but i have to do it on every letter.

P.S. are you gonna get some rest after this... You've earned it.

OK, see my previous post, and your 2nd issue (the name change one) is one mentioned before which we're having trouble tracking don, so see those posts as well and if you can give me as much info as you can that'd be great

Rest? I'll rest when I'm dead - I've got three Ruleserts and a bunch of new Extensions to do first!

dulux-oz
December 11th, 2015, 03:14

That is how it all looks when i start my game.
pathfinder ruleset

OK, could you drop all of the Extensions but the Locations and the DOE Base please, then let me know what happens - thanks

gmdmb3
December 11th, 2015, 03:16
OK, see my previous post, and your 2nd issue (the name change one) is one mentioned before which we're having trouble tracking don, so see those posts as well and if you can give me as much info as you can that'd be great

Rest? I'll rest when I'm dead - I've got three Ruleserts and a bunch of new Extensions to do first!
Just tell me how i can help, pics, video, teamspeak skype, you name it i will do what i can to help trouble shoot.

I will make sure drink a cold one in your honor at your resting party then.
Honestly though as soon as i get a few bucks to spare I'm gonna buy you a drink.

gmdmb3
December 11th, 2015, 03:19
OK, could you drop all of the Extensions but the Locations and the DOE Base please, then let me know what happens - thanks

works without errors, gonna add the other extensions in one at a time now until i find the culprit will update after.

Alternate color Gizmo for BOTH problems i reported on.

Nickademus
December 11th, 2015, 03:23

And more tutorial videos. Can't forget the videos.

bobbylain
December 11th, 2015, 03:25
I was just about to say that from the DOE base the following would cause some kinda problems

Supersedes
The following Extensions are superseded by this Extension and are no longer required:

DOE: Alternative ColourGizmo Extension.

gmdmb3
December 11th, 2015, 03:27
I was just about to say that from the DOE base the following would cause some kinda problems

Supersedes
The following Extensions are superseded by this Extension and are no longer required:

DOE: Alternative ColourGizmo Extension.

Well **** i missed that part.

dulux-oz
December 11th, 2015, 03:31
One of the jobs I hate - and I mean really loath - is writing documentation - and it seems I can ignore doing that from now on as, obviously, no-one reads it :p

dulux-oz
December 11th, 2015, 03:32
And more tutorial videos. Can't forget the videos.

Yeah, and the Tutorial Videos - they're coming as well. :)

BTW, Nick, how did the upgrade go for you?

Nickademus
December 11th, 2015, 03:38
I'll be honest, I haven't upgraded. I'm working on a project that won't be using the Location Extension so I've been putting it off.

dulux-oz
December 11th, 2015, 03:46
...that won't be using the Location Extension...

What could you possible be doing that won't use the Locations Extension?

That's unheard of!

That's sacrilege!

That's... that's... I'm speechless!

:p

gmdmb3
December 11th, 2015, 03:51
One of the jobs I hate - and I mean really loath - is writing documentation - and it seems I can ignore doing that from now on as, obviously, no-one reads it :p

Ok you can Quote me and add it to the main post if you like...:p

"I am a FOOL that did not read all of the well thought out and carefully worded documentation for the DOE extensions. Please disregard my posts where i claim there is a bug. IT WAS ALL MY FAULT for NOT reading the IMPORTANT documentation that was lovingly provided for us."

dulux-oz
December 11th, 2015, 04:00
:D

Mate, its cool! I'm just glad you guys are enthusiastic about my work enough to help out and report the bugs - I like it when people like my stuff!

I'm also a born sh!t-stirer - I can't help myself.

Merry Christmas!

Cheers

Nickademus
December 11th, 2015, 04:36
That's sacrilege!

Well, I AM a black mage after all. :P

dulux-oz
December 11th, 2015, 04:45
Well, I AM a black mage after all. :P

Well, in that case:

!samtsirhC yrreM

Weepdrag
December 11th, 2015, 05:36
Hi Dulux, OK, I've had a chance to do some more testing and here's what I've found:

The errors don't occur on a virgin database for me, but they consistently happen on campaigns with a database from the previous release of locations.ext that was updated.
The errors occur in the locations, towns and buildings tabs, which are the only tabs that I had created data in previously, the other tabs don't produce errors. The title block for each of the error producing tabs is the only field that brings up the error condition upon typing the first character.

I exported my campaign as a module and the errors don't occur in a fresh campaign. The question I have is, does this extension work as a module? And, is there a way to change or update the data without re-exporting it? I'm 90% through entering all of greyhawk and really don't want to start over.

Thanks again

dulux-oz
December 11th, 2015, 09:57
OK, is there any chance that you could email me the db.xml file for the campaign ([email protected]).

Cheers

ffujita
December 11th, 2015, 10:45
In relation to copyright, it depends upon what the Module contained - but you could certainly make one for yourself without issue, you just couldn't give it to anyone else *depending upon what it contained).

My intention would be to make a module consisting of a small set of shops (buildings) without specified locations. As an illustrative example, I would have a Weapon and Ammunition shop which would contain all of the non-magical weapons and ammunition available in the Players Handbook, with unlimited quantities available, and prices set in capital letters (GP, SP, and CP).

ffujita
December 11th, 2015, 11:01
Its probably easier in your case to explicitly set the Items cost to "GP" (probably before you drag them into a shop). I am working on a very sophisticated additional Extension that will do currency conversions automatically, but its complex and a little way off yet.

Well, all of the items are from the Player's Handbook, so .. the items are already set to lowercase currency. So, are you saying that it would be easier to set some variable in the 5e ruleset which would make all of this happen automagically, or were you assuming that I was creating all of the items from scratch (in which case, I would of course make them of the appropriate upper case currency).

Since in our 5e PC Inventory tab the currency units are undefined, I suppose an alternative would be to change the adventure module treasure to grant lowercase currency.

Or, maybe we could get the FG people to update the PHB so that all the units would be in uppercase currency. Somehow I doubt that is in the works :)

dulux-oz
December 11th, 2015, 11:03
My intention would be to make a module consisting of a small set of shops (buildings) without specified locations. As an illustrative example, I would have a Weapon and Ammunition shop which would contain all of the non-magical weapons and ammunition available in the Players Handbook, with unlimited quantities available, and prices set in capital letters (GP, SP, and CP).

Yeah, that's basically what I had in mind for part of the Extension and its how I use that part in my games. The difficulty is in the descriptive text that often accompanies Items. In a 3.5E game, for example (and someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong), the mechanics/details of the Item is find and covered under the Open License that WotC release 3.5e under (in other words, what's in the SRD), but the descriptive text found in the sourcebooks is not OK as that is copyrighted. Under the 5e rules I don't think the mechanics can be copied at all, let alone the descriptive text - but someone like Trenloe or the SW boys (Doug, Moon Wizard and Zeus) will know better than I do. If they don't reply here then I'd shoot them a PM asking.

Cheers

dulux-oz
December 11th, 2015, 11:05
Well, all of the items are from the Player's Handbook, so .. the items are already set to lowercase currency. So, are you saying that it would be easier to set some variable in the 5e ruleset which would make all of this happen automagically, or were you assuming that I was creating all of the items from scratch (in which case, I would of course make them of the appropriate upper case currency).

Since in our 5e PC Inventory tab the currency units are undefined, I suppose an alternative would be to change the adventure module treasure to grant lowercase currency.

Or, maybe we could get the FG people to update the PHB so that all the units would be in uppercase currency. Somehow I doubt that is in the works :)

You could always change the currency in the shop (after you drag the Items across)

ffujita
December 11th, 2015, 11:29
You could always change the currency in the shop (after you drag the Items across)

And indeed, that is what I'm in the process of doing. After doing that 20 times, you start to wonder about the other 300. But, since that's what has to be done ...

And let me once again express my gratitude for the shop functionality that you've made available.

dulux-oz
December 11th, 2015, 11:58
After doing that 20 times, you start to wonder about the other 300. But, since that's what has to be done ...

OK, thankyou for you your thanks, I really do appreciate it. :)

I'm sorry you've got to do that, and I'm sorry I don't have a better, easier solution for you and for everybody else - but I do this as a hobby: I spend my leisure time pounding away at my keyboard producing tools for people to use free of charge - and I do that because I like doing it. I don't play 5E so I don't have any reason to spend my money to acquire any 5E material, so I don't know how other authors choose to represent things like currencies within their stuff. Up until now there has been no - and I mean none - functionality within FG to handle currencies and/or currency conversions, including a "shop" function, primarily because of the issues around money and how to represent different types of money consistently within a computer across so many different game systems. I think what's been done here is pretty good for a first cut at such a complex topic (even if I do say so myself) - and remember; its free - out of all the people using and watching my stuff there have been 3 people who have actually decided to provide support in a concrete form, and maybe a dozen more who have said they would when they get some spare cash - and that's OK, I'm not doing this for the money because if I was I would have been selling this stuff from the start; I'm doing this because I like to - you know, "pay it forward" type stuff - but whether it was meant that way or not the above hit a raw nerve - which probably says more about me than anything else. :)

So I'll say it again: thankyou for your thanks, I really do sincerely appreciate it, and if I might suggest that people try to keep some of what I've just said in mind then I might think about continuing to help out with Rulesets, Extension, Videos and the rest.

If you've got any issues or questions or whatever, please let me know so I can see about getting them resolved :)

Cheers

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2015, 12:23

I believe that such a module would infringe copyright since pretty much all of the PHB is copyright. Having said that if the items had no descriptive text then I don't think it would be an infringement since I doubt that WotC have copyright on Short sword, Long sword etc.

ffujita
December 12th, 2015, 01:17
Having the moved the PHB equipment list into a small set of stores, here are the issues that I've found -- I won't call them bugs, especially because this is a general extension and not a 5e specific one.

1) The "Packs" like explorer's pack, scholar's pack, don't unpack when you purchase them from the store
a) Not really a problem, cause most people aren't buying packs from the store, just at character creation
2) Items from the PHB and items from the store don't stack -- so if you have 10 days of rations and you buy 10 more, you get two stacks of 10 days, not one stack of 20 days.
a) Not too much of a problem, when I first open up the store, I'll set the buy back at 100% and let players sell all of their consumables first, then buy back whatever quantities they wish.
3) The item weights take *way* too much space, when they are less than a quarter pound. For instance something that weighs 0.02 pounds in the PHB, weight 0.01999900004324 lbs in the store. This means that an item takes up three or four lines in the inventory tab.
a) I set these items to weight zero ... and I'll deal with abuse if and when I need to ... "You're carrying 50k ball bearing? I think you need to drop 40k of them NOW."

You can't sell a mule as an item (or any other animal, tack, or vehicle) so set those to "services" I guess.

But I can tell you the players are going to like this so much better than having to manually deduct the currency while dragging items from the PHB.

Thanks again!

dulux-oz
December 12th, 2015, 01:38
Having the moved the PHB equipment list into a small set of stores, here are the issues that I've found -- I won't call them bugs, especially because this is a general extension and not a 5e specific one.

1) The "Packs" like explorer's pack, scholar's pack, don't unpack when you purchase them from the store
a) Not really a problem, cause most people aren't buying packs from the store, just at character creation
2) Items from the PHB and items from the store don't stack -- so if you have 10 days of rations and you buy 10 more, you get two stacks of 10 days, not one stack of 20 days.
a) Not too much of a problem, when I first open up the store, I'll set the buy back at 100% and let players sell all of their consumables first, then buy back whatever quantities they wish.
3) The item weights take *way* too much space, when they are less than a quarter pound. For instance something that weighs 0.02 pounds in the PHB, weight 0.01999900004324 lbs in the store. This means that an item takes up three or four lines in the inventory tab.
a) I set these items to weight zero ... and I'll deal with abuse if and when I need to ... "You're carrying 50k ball bearing? I think you need to drop 40k of them NOW."

You can't sell a mule as an item (or any other animal, tack, or vehicle) so set those to "services" I guess.

But I can tell you the players are going to like this so much better than having to manually deduct the currency while dragging items from the PHB.

Thanks again!

Packs have never been considered (by me) - apart from purchasing a "3-Day Wilderness Pack" which gets recorded as a "3-Day Wilderness Pack" - do people want the Pack to be listed individually on the Character Sheets? This would be an additional feature for a future release, but how useful would it be for people really (ie is it worth the effort)?

Stacking of Items (actually the lack thereof) is briefly mentioned in the doco - but I recall being able to drag items from the PC Inventory sheet to the PC Inventory Sheet to add similar items together - I think???

That's a rounding error which occurs in all computers when dealing with certain fractions of a whole - I'm still trying to work out a way for it not to be displayed like that.

I deliberately haven't tackled buying and selling of NPCs (including animals, etc) yet, but its on the list for a future release - the trouble is that animals should be recorded as NPCs not Items, but this is inconsistent across Rulesets, so extra coding has to be done.

Thanks for the feedback - and keep on suggesting new/improved features, etc - not all of them will be done, but I try to incorporate as much of what people want as I can (see previous posts in this thread :) )

Cheers

bobbylain
December 12th, 2015, 03:11
@ffujita WOTC only has copyrights on specific items and monsters, not things like shortsword or backpack. A good rule of thumb, if its in the hardcover book but not in the online wiki then you have copyright concern, things like beholder, Mind-Flayer and prolly a few of the magic items but not all of them. (I think all the artifacts are copyrighted)

Weight issues are because of variable parsing. IE integer, double, Big integer, strings ect. (not gona get super technical but it can probably be fixed at some point in the future)

ffujita
December 12th, 2015, 03:27
Well, I'm pretty sure they don't have a copyright on "Longsword," but I'm hazy about a Longsword that is a Martial Weapon, costs 15 GP, weighs 3 pounds, does 1d8 slashing damage, and is versatile (1d10). That's pretty specific. In any case, for my own use, I've set up shops for all of the PHB Equipment. If I get the go ahead from someone at Smiteworks, I'd be happy to post the module, so everyone else doesn't need to manually change all the gp from the the PHB to GP (since all the adventures grant uppercase GP, but all the PHB prices are lowercase gp). OR, even better, if someone at Smiteworks would do a global search/replace of gp to GP in the PHB, that'd make the whole problem go away. (and of course, sp to SP and cp to CP).

bobbylain
December 13th, 2015, 06:22
This isnt a bug but I'm just curious about the double combo boxes for magic in a plane

"When set to anything other than "Normal" a second Magic Traits Combobox is displayed, which has the same six values (except "Normal" is replaced by "None"). Thus a Plane can have two different Magic Traits. The Locations Extension will not stop you from setting opposite Magic Traits or the same Magic Trait twice."

so a plane could have any number of conflicting traits in certain areas. why only the two boxes for magic traits. I'm just curious what the purpose is.

dulux-oz
December 13th, 2015, 07:26
This isnt a bug but I'm just curious about the double combo boxes for magic in a plane

"When set to anything other than "Normal" a second Magic Traits Combobox is displayed, which has the same six values (except "Normal" is replaced by "None"). Thus a Plane can have two different Magic Traits. The Locations Extension will not stop you from setting opposite Magic Traits or the same Magic Trait twice."

so a plane could have any number of conflicting traits in certain areas. why only the two boxes for magic traits. I'm just curious what the purpose is.

Probably because I used the same piece of code as I did for the Alignment Traits (without thinking about it too hard), which can have two aspects - but thinking about it we could probably get away with just one Magic Trait for the Plane and if there is a particular "pocket" that has another Trait we could use a Location - I'd have to add the Magic Trait Dropdown to the Location Record, but that's not too hard

bobbylain
December 13th, 2015, 14:16
ok I was just curious because it seemed out of place and random I was racking my brain trying to think of a reason when I would personally use that feature. but I like it. its a cool idea.

Maleioch
December 13th, 2015, 20:45
This is my favorite Extension so far. Primarily for the "shops" usage. The rest I'm still trying to get my head around. In other words, would the following be an accurate example of using this extension?

[plane: Material] -> [world: Toril] -> [location: Faerun] -> [location: The North] -> [location: Delimbyr Vale] -> [town: Secomber] -> [building: The Singing Sprite Inn]

Also, I saw mention of being able to set currency rates soon. Is that going to be a separate extension or part of an update to this one?

dulux-oz
December 14th, 2015, 00:00
This is my favorite Extension so far. Primarily for the "shops" usage.

Thankyou

[plane: Material] -> [world: Toril] -> [location: Faerun] -> [location: The North] -> [location: Delimbyr Vale] -> [town: Secomber] -> [building: The Singing Sprite Inn]

Exactly! Well done!

You might want to consider this: [plane: Material] -> [system: Toril Space] -> [world: Toril] - but that's up to you.

You could take things further, if you wanted: [building: The Singing Sprite Inn] -> [location: Basement] -> [Portal: To who knows where?!]

Also, I saw mention of being able to set currency rates soon. Is that going to be a separate extension or part of an update to this one?

Its pretty big, so its almost certainly going to be a co-Extensions (like the Weather and Organisations Extensions are a co-Extension). I wouldn't hold your breath through - this one isn't even scheduled for Soon(TM) yet.

Cheers

zeracool2k
December 16th, 2015, 02:02
Hello Dulux-Oz,
I ran into another problem with the Locations extension.

I've been creating towns, locations and buildings without issues, linking each to a parent (i.e., Town[Candlekeep] -> Building[Library] -> Location[1st Floor]). However, out of the blue, I can't link places anymore. When I drag a location to a another, it doesn't show in the corresponding tab (like when you have the sheet "locked"). And when I delete a location that is shown in another sheet, I can't put it back.

Coincidentally, it happened some time after I exported my module as backup, I'm not sure if it's related.

dulux-oz
December 16th, 2015, 03:14
Modules are static be default, so that would explain not being able to add new links - the ability to remove links, on the other-hand, shouldn't be able to be done either. Let me take a look and I'll see what I can find.

zeracool2k
December 16th, 2015, 15:18
The problem was on the actual (current?) campaign, not the exported module.

I was adding locations without problems, and then suddenly I couldn't anymore. I thought it could be because of referential integrity, so I checked each and every location by type (town, Building, etc.), as well as their parents.

I found that one location was referencing another by its old name, i.e. it showed "Candlekeep**WIP**" (the old name) instead of "Candlekeep" (the current name). Once I removed the old reference and added it again, everything started to work normally. I hope that was the cause of the problem, since I've already invested a lot of effort on the locations extension (which, by the way, is awesome!).

Thanks for answering!

bobbylain
December 16th, 2015, 18:57
have you tried to repeat that linking the old name issue on a new campaign to prove the error was caused by linking old names? I wasnt able to repro that issue so I'm just curious if that was the actual cause.

zeracool2k
December 16th, 2015, 19:07
The bug hasn't shown itself again but probably will, since I tend to change the page names A LOT to represent their current status.

I'll post if I get it (or should I say "catch it"?).

dulux-oz
December 17th, 2015, 00:21
The bug hasn't shown itself again but probably will, since I tend to change the page names A LOT to represent their current status.

That's probably not a good idea in general (not just for the DOEs) - Names are meant to be static (or near static) because we use them as a means of identifying things. Changing the name of something (while possible) is not something that should be encouraged (especially with non-Relational Flat-File Database like the one FG uses, and even more so when someone's tried to make a non-Relational DB Relational) so I'd be representing "status" some other way - but its up to you :)

Cheers

Nickademus
December 17th, 2015, 01:16
I was under the impression that objects in the database were stored and indexed by an id number string ("id-00023") and that the names were simply strings and not used for any identification.

dulux-oz
December 17th, 2015, 01:46
It depends on the DB - in the case of FG's DB(s) that is mostly true, but what we're talking about is not only how a name is stored (by the computer) but how a name is perceived (by a human being). Because the FG DB is non-Relational there has to be explicit code written to change the name of something if that name appears in more than one location (ie more than one record) - in other words, a name can be stored more than once (thus breaking the 1st through 3rd Normal Forms of Database Design).

Now add in the fact that part of the DB can be absent (ie the individual parts of the DB that is in a Module) and things get even more "tricky".

The alternative is to not worry about changing a name in more than one place - but this leads to the situation where a character (for example) is listed as "A" in a list of characters but on the character sheet has a name of "B" - all because the actual "linking" is done via the id-string (as you correctly state)

This is one of the issues we DB-designers have to contend with on a weekly (if not daily) basis - and why I was developing a system under a Relational DB Model when I stumbled across FG and decided to abandon what I was working on in favour of the "more developed" FG.

bobbylain
December 17th, 2015, 10:44
not sure if this is a bug

excerpt From Manual

Locations Page - The Locations Page is used for those Locations which are contained within this Location (eg Baronies within a Kingdom, Islands within an Ocean).

The Locations Page is used for those Locations which are smaller than the Town and which are contained within it, such as Parks, Markets, Ponds, Harbours,

These items in the manual state that the location page within a location page should populate a list. on that page. with a GM checkmark

I'm not getting that result.

1.) i have an edit button but when I click the edit button I dont get the option to add manually(ie everything is drag and drop)
2.) That being the case I have create a new location on the main location page (ie Barony X, or Harbor Y, or Kingdom B, ect)
3.) when dragging from the location main page to the location within a location it doesnt populate the list with the GM check box like it does for building within a town.
4.) it does label (ie Barony X, or Harbor Y, or Kingdom B, ect) and part of Main location C but just doesn't populate into the location tab with in a location.
5.) so far it appears to work with everything else Ive tried like buildings, NPC, ect. but specifically the location with in a location doesnt populate a list.

and as mentioned before clicking the edit button doesn't give me the option to add something manually(which is fine if the list of locations within a location would populate but I'm currently not seeing that)

hope that was clear as mud lol If you need more details or screenshots let me know.

The idiea is to have something like

Country (Main Location tab)
Barony(Location with a location tab)
town(town tab)
Memorial location(town location tab)
Duchy (Location with a location tab)
Island (Location with a location tab)
town(town tab)
Nature Formation(town location tab)
Principality(Location with a location tab)
town(town tab)
garden(town location tab)
harbor(town location tab)

One additional thing I haven't tested but if I cant manually add portals then my main portal list could get pretty big In my world I have a "Franchise" of Inns/Taverns that has lots of portals- extra dimensional space Like example each of maybe 30 buildings might have a portal to a pocket plane for the warehouse, or a portal to the plane of ice to reach in and get fresh ice for what ever they might need. or a portal to the plane of fire for cooking purposes. If Im dragging and dropping from the main portal page for each 30 different building in 30 different towns for 15 different portal uses each that can get cumbersome. Again I haven't yet tested this out but I can foresee running into some potential issues in a case like this.

zeracool2k
December 17th, 2015, 12:49
3.) when dragging from the location main page to the location within a location it doesnt populate the list with the GM check box like it does for building within a town.
4.) it does label (ie Barony X, or Harbor Y, or Kingdom B, ect) and part of Main location C but just doesn't populate into the location tab with in a location.

That's the Bug I got!

I had a structure similar to this:

--Location[Coast Way]
----Location[Rocky Hill]
----Location[Obelisk]
----Location[Hidden Cave]
------Location[Underwater Cave]
--Location[Lion's Way]
----Location[Circle of Stones]
----Location[Druid's Grove]

Location[Lion's Way] showed no children on the "locations" tab, even whe both Location[Circle of Stones] and Location[Druid's Grove] had Lion's Way as their parent on their respective sheets.
On the other hand, Location[Coast Way] showed all its children just fine, BUT when I deleted Location[Obelisk] from Coast Way's children to test the bug, it wouldn't show up anymore when I dragged there again even when its parent name correctly showed Coast Way.

Glad you could replicate the bug (or should I say, "sad"?).

bobbylain
December 18th, 2015, 00:05
the weird thing so far from what Ive tested is that its only on the location within a location tab. I havent seen it on other tabs yet. though I havent completely tested everything out. I have literally thousands of locations for my home brew campaign setting across multiple planets, planes, and crystal spheres(solar systems). so eventually I will root out any little bug or odd behavior in this awesome extension.

despite all the little issues we have had this Extension is the best addition to my fantasy grounds campaign and to documenting my campaign world as a whole. I would almost venture to say this one eclipses all the rest of the extensions out there in its usefulness and general awesomeness.

dulux-oz
December 18th, 2015, 00:33
1.) i have an edit button but when I click the edit button I dont get the option to add manually(ie everything is drag and drop)
2.) That being the case I have create a new location on the main location page (ie Barony X, or Harbor Y, or Kingdom B, ect)
5.) so far it appears to work with everything else Ive tried like buildings, NPC, ect. but specifically the location with in a location doesnt populate a list.

Issue resolved. New version (v4.0.1) uploaded to first post.

One additional thing I haven't tested but if I cant manually add portals then my main portal list could get pretty big In my world I have a "Franchise" of Inns/Taverns that has lots of portals- extra dimensional space Like example each of maybe 30 buildings might have a portal to a pocket plane for the warehouse, or a portal to the plane of ice to reach in and get fresh ice for what ever they might need. or a portal to the plane of fire for cooking purposes. If Im dragging and dropping from the main portal page for each 30 different building in 30 different towns for 15 different portal uses each that can get cumbersome. Again I haven't yet tested this out but I can foresee running into some potential issues in a case like this.

This is as designed.

bobbylain
December 18th, 2015, 07:01
confirmed resolved. on part one. and understood as designed on part 2. Thank you Sir.

bobbylain
December 19th, 2015, 21:11
on the System tab when creating systems. If you create two system objects <<New System>> and <<New System>> then try to name the second one you get a nil value error every time. and if you delete the second object you cant delete the first object unless you name it first because you get a nil value. I tried it on some other tabs but so far I'm only seeing it on the system page. Because I'm adding several <<New Systems>> I just happened on this error. Its probably rare that anyone would do this but it still is something that consistently repeatable at least for me.

damned
December 27th, 2015, 06:15
Hi Dulux_Oz,

5e Campaign
Extensions:
DOE Base
DOE Organisations
DOE Locations
all current versions

Created a new Location and on entering a character in the Name I get the following:
Script Error: [string "DOEBase/Scripts/lsMiscFunctions.lua"]:348: attempt to index a nil value

I get it on each character.

damned
December 27th, 2015, 06:16
I tried editing the name from the Locations list and it does the same thing.

Seems any successive Locations dont suffer this.

dulux-oz
December 27th, 2015, 06:34
Thanks damned - I'll see what's going on :)

zeracool2k
December 27th, 2015, 16:06
Hello,
the "nil" error when typing any character occurs when you create a <<new something>> and then create <<another something>> without naming the first.

It has happened consitently when I change tabs with an unnamed element, but I said nothing because it had already been posted in earlier pages.

damned
December 27th, 2015, 23:28
Hello,
the "nil" error when typing any character occurs when you create a <<new something>> and then create <<another something>> without naming the first.

It has happened consitently when I change tabs with an unnamed element, but I said nothing because it had already been posted in earlier pages.

zeracool2k Im almost positive that this matches my scenario. im pretty sure that I did create 2 new entries before editing the first.
And - confirmed - I have just confirmed that is exactly what is happening and it continue to happen as long as you have on or more of these <<new somethings>>

dulux-oz
December 28th, 2015, 01:06
Hi Guys,

OK, for the life of me I cannot reproduce this error (the 348 one) - I've tried (or think I've tried) every combination you guys have told me about, but I can't do it!

Would someone please be able to list (in excruciating detail) exactly what they did to get this error - thanks.

damned
December 28th, 2015, 01:28
here you go.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/dulux-348.gif

Create a new location.
Dont touch it.
Create another new location.
Attempt to edit the Location name.

dulux-oz
December 28th, 2015, 02:42
Nope, can't reproduce it :( (or should that be :) )

damned
December 28th, 2015, 03:20
I just tested it with Organisations and same thing.
One other thing Ive just remembered - Im on 3.1.6 as Im testing some other stuff.

zeracool2k
December 28th, 2015, 03:28
Dulux-Oz, maybe the irreproducibility of the error is due to the configuration of your programming environment? The error is an "attempt to index a nil value", which means it may not show for you given that all your "path" variables are set as they should.

Perhaps if you tried it on another device?

By the way, I'm using FG 3.1.5, so I don't think the error is related to the FG version... oh, and here is a video of the error (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ww5kd46b1u9ah2q/Fantasy%20Grounds%20Locations%20Extension.mp4?dl=0 ) (will be removed shortly).

dulux-oz
December 28th, 2015, 03:48
Right, I've determined what the issue is, now I've got to relove it - so we're making progress.

It appears to be a db save issue ie the system is trying to access information from the database that doesn't yet exist in the database, only in the memory copy of the database which is yet to be written to disk - could someone try this:

In a virgin campaign, create two new Locations, issue a /save command in the chat window, and then try to change the name of one of the new locations - thanks

damned
December 28th, 2015, 07:27
i dont think FG ever reads from the disk version of the DB once the session has loaded?
either way - it didnt make any difference - same behaviour using the /save

the work around from a user perspective is of course to label both or only create one at a time so its not a show stopper by any means.

dulux-oz
December 28th, 2015, 08:29
Yeah, it does - if you explicitly request it (and the DOEs do) - or at least it appears to. Bottom line is that there are times when data isn't where its supposed to be and a /save always resolves those times - so I then write code to handle the situation and everythings OK from that point on.

So that was with a brand new campaign? Damn! There goes a potential solution - back to the drawing board!

Thanks mate

dulux-oz
January 4th, 2016, 01:43
I'm pleased to announce that the LPak Community Project/Program (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27202-LanguagePak-%28LPak%29-Community-Project-Program) has produced an LPak (Language Pack) for this Extension. Please see the linked thread for details on how to have this Extension in a non-English language.

Well done to the Project/Program Team.

Cheers

dulux-oz
January 14th, 2016, 09:33
Hi Everybody,

I've just placed an update to the Extension (and the Manual) on the first post. Be aware that you will also need to download the new version of the DOEBase Extension.

As normal, if you have any issues or suggestions then please let me know.

Enjoy!

Cheers

Zacchaeus
January 16th, 2016, 17:58
Hey D-O you may know this already but entering a negative number into the Altitude Field of a New location causes FG to Crash (I was going to map out the Underdark in case you were wondering why this was the first thing I did :) )

dulux-oz
January 17th, 2016, 01:01
Wasn't a crash, it was going into an infinite-loop. I've fixed it in the DOEBase and posted the new version in that Thread.

Cheers

Zacchaeus
January 17th, 2016, 09:05
Wasn't a crash, it was going into an infinite-loop. I've fixed it in the DOEBase and posted the new version in that Thread.

Cheers

What a guy! :)

dulux-oz
January 17th, 2016, 09:55
What a guy! :)

Now now, be careful - I'll get a swelled head :p

Ken L
January 17th, 2016, 19:37
Excellent auxiliary database.

How would one go about removing un-needed tabs?

I'd imagine it's a bit more involved than my hack in xLocationsWindowCasses.xml:
(note that I did re-order the tabs)

<tLocationTabs>
<anchored>
<top offset="25" />
<right offset="-11" />
</anchored>
<tab>
<icon>iTabTowns</icon>
<subwindow>swTownList</subwindow>
</tab>
<tab>
<icon>iTabBuildings</icon>
<subwindow>swBuildingList</subwindow>
</tab>
<tab>
<icon>iTabLocations</icon>
<subwindow>swLocationList</subwindow>
</tab>
<!--
<tab>
<icon>iTabWorlds</icon>
<subwindow>swWorldList</subwindow>
</tab>
<tab>
<icon>iTabSystems</icon>
<subwindow>swSystemList</subwindow>
</tab>
<tab>
<icon>iTabPlanes</icon>
<subwindow>swPlaneList</subwindow>
</tab>
<tab>
<icon>iTabCosmos</icon>
<subwindow>swCosmosList</subwindow>
</tab>
<tab>
<icon>iTabPortals</icon>
<subwindow>swPortalList</subwindow>
</tab>
-->
</tLocationTabs>

When I link locations (districts) to a town's associated locations, I produce an error when visiting the town's locations page/section. The linking itself is performed on the location tab by assigning the town as a parent to the district 'location'.

Script Error: [string "lwlLocationsList"]:1: attempt to index field 'idelete' (a nil value)

damned
January 17th, 2016, 22:05
removing unneeded tabs will see you have to repeat the exercise each time the extension is updated.
the script error looks like it is looking for an idelete button that you has possibly been removed.

Ken L
January 18th, 2016, 00:12
After re-downloading, it looks like Dulux updated it so I re-modified the logic and it works well. There is however a slight discoloration for the CoreRPG rule-set involving the tabs

https://i.imgur.com/n8TntJl.png

dulux-oz
January 18th, 2016, 00:57
You know, its probably just easier to simply ignore the Tabs/Pages you don't use then it is to unzip the Extension, make the changes, fix up any errors introduced by making changes *like the discoloration, for example), etc, each time the Extension is updated.

But its up to you :)

Ken L
January 18th, 2016, 01:12
*like the discoloration, for example

Actually the discoloration is present in the standard package without any changes for CoreRPG, I use the wood theme if there's a slight coloration difference which I don't believe there is.

As for the changes, it I just basically hid the tabs so the underlying data structure is there, just hidden. I'll also mod in to hide the 'portals' tab.

It's more an immersion issue with the players so when they use locations, they aren't presented with an overly long directory to keep things compact.

dulux-oz
January 18th, 2016, 02:26
It's more an immersion issue with the players so when they use locations, they aren't presented with an overly long directory to keep things compact.

OK - I use the Coloured Tabs and Icons along the bottom to do that (plus only sharing those entries which the Players need, of course), but whatever "floats your boat" :)

I'm just glad you like it

Cheers

xinlli
February 12th, 2016, 13:31
how to use it?

dulux-oz
February 12th, 2016, 13:36
how to use it?

What do you mean?

How do you load it? How to you enter info into it? What do you mean (in detail, please)?

Also, have you read the Manual that has been written for it (the mod file on the first post) - load it like any other Module and the full details are available with a few images as well.

So, get back to us when/if you need to to

Cheers

zeracool2k
February 12th, 2016, 14:24
xinlli, you have to download the files DOELocations.ext, DOELocations_Manual.mod, and DOEBase.ext (links are on page 1 of this thread).

Then, you have to put the .ext files in the "extensions" folder of Fantasy Grounds (generally "C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\extensions"), and the manual (.mod) in the "modules" folder.

Then enter FG, and create or load an existing campaign. You will have new options for the campaign, so activate both DOE Locations and DOE Base. Inside the campaign, you will have new tabs that you can fill at leisure.

Note! To check what you can do with the Locations extension, activate the module DOE Locations Manual, and read it (really useful).

Jwguy
February 13th, 2016, 07:41
After the 3.1.6 update, I'm getting some errors whenever I tried to make a new location and type in the title bar:

Script Error: [string "Locations/Scripts/lsLocationsManager.lua"]:750: attempt to index a nil value

dulux-oz
February 13th, 2016, 08:21
I can't reproduce it - which Ruleset, and are you using v1.1 of the DOEBase and v4.1 of the DOELocations?

xinlli
February 13th, 2016, 13:26
What do you mean?

How do you load it? How to you enter info into it? What do you mean (in detail, please)?

Also, have you read the Manual that has been written for it (the mod file on the first post) - load it like any other Module and the full details are available with a few images as well.

So, get back to us when/if you need to to

Cheers

i load it but i don't know how to use it,them tell me i can use it create a 'supermarket',i want to make a automation shopping system in town

dulux-oz
February 13th, 2016, 13:40
OK, so if you want to create a shop then do the following (this is pretty much from the accompanying manual):

Open up the Locations system from the Menubar (also known as the Sidebar) and then select the Building Tab. This will show you a list of buildings. Create a new building (either by the Edit button at the bottom or by right-clicking on the (empty) Building list. Fill out the first page of the building record (as much or as little as you like). You will need a name for the building, whether it sells things (a checkbox) and how much markup to add to the cost of things (check the manual for details on what the other fields do).

Then, on the second page drag Items like swords and armour and supplies from the Items system (you may have to make some) onto the page, and enter in how much of each item the shop has - use "-1" if the shop has an unlimited supply.

Once you've got everything set up the way you want share the building with the players in the normal way.

Players can then open up the shop and drag Items from the Building's Inventory onto their character sheets and the money will be deducted accordingly - or added, if they "sell" items back to the shop (and the shop is set up to "buy" items).

Again, all this is outlined in the manual, but if you have any trouble feel free to ask on this thread.

Have fun :)

Jwguy
February 14th, 2016, 03:19
I can't reproduce it - which Ruleset, and are you using v1.1 of the DOEBase and v4.1 of the DOELocations?

We're using 3.5e, and yeah, 1.1 and 4.1.

dulux-oz
February 14th, 2016, 08:53
OK, I still can't reproduce the error - any chance of a screen shot of the extension when the error occurs?

Also, are you running any other Extensions?

Let me know and I'll get it sorted asap

Cheers

GrimmSpector
February 16th, 2016, 18:24
Hey Dulux, having an issue, when I use Locations with the latest FG, running PFRPG, I'm getting the following error, when I try to drag an item link out of a library file and into the items screen list:

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_item.lua"]:382: getPath: Invalid parameter 2

When I disable only this extension the error does not occur, and FG functions as expected, and when I enable only this and Base I get the error. The item doesn't get added to the item list, and I can find no work around.

I'm hoping we can figure this out, so I can use this extension, I'd very much like to!

dulux-oz
February 17th, 2016, 01:51
OK, I can't reproduce the error using any of the weapons out of PFRPG Basic Rules module - so which library file are you using (and which item are you dragging)?

GrimmSpector
February 17th, 2016, 02:39
Any library file, I've got the error when only using just the PF Basic Rules library, and also with a custom module for UE. I've made a blank campaign with ONLY the PF Basic Rules loaded, and get the error on all items, "Armor", "Weapons", and "Items". Doesn't seem to be causing any problems with the NPC list, or anything else I've noticed so far.

Here's a screenshot set. In this sample, I've freshly loaded the campaign, and attempted to drag over "Leather" from the armor section.

damned
February 17th, 2016, 03:17
Confirmed.
It does not do it after you unload Locations.
Note GrimmSpector is not dragging these into the Locations tool anywhere he is dragging them into the FG Items window.

GrimmSpector
February 17th, 2016, 03:23
Thanks for the backup damned, that's right, I'm dragging it into a section that has nothing to do with the addon, so not sure what's causing it.

dulux-oz
February 17th, 2016, 04:52
OK, so now that I understnad the problem fully I've been able to reproduce it and have got it worked out now - its to do with code that Moon put into the CoreRPG when he changed the way that FG handles Items when we went from v3.1.5 to v3.1.6 to allow the Locations Extension (and any other Extensions that care to) to "tie in" to that system. This means two things:

Any Extension that taps into the Items system using the method provided by Moon will subsequently cause this error
I can't fix it, because its part of CoreRPG, not part of the Locations Extension - but it only shows up when the Locations Extension is loaded because when the Locations Extension loads it calls the "tie in" function in the CoreRPG - no Locations Extension loaded and that bit of code in the CoreRPG doesn't run, hence no error.

The good news id that I've worked out a solution and have PM'd Moon the details. The bad news is that until Moon incorporates my fix and releases a new version of the CoreRPG then this error will continue to occur - and because its in the CoreRPG it'll occur for all Child-Rulesets that want to use the Locations Extension

Sorry, but that's the best I can do :(

GrimmSpector
February 17th, 2016, 04:56
Well I guess I'll have to give up the locations extension for now...thanks!

dulux-oz
February 17th, 2016, 05:04
Oh, I'm sure Moon won't take long - he's very good with that type of thing :)

xinlli
February 17th, 2016, 09:08
other question

when i create a 'SHOP',PCs can sell any thing to SHOP,but on rules, maybe weapon and equipment i just want 90% sell (worth 100gp but just sell for 10gp to SHOP),but gem and scrolls i want sell original cost, can i just use one building to make it happen?or i need create two buildings?

dulux-oz
February 17th, 2016, 09:32
You'll need two buildings - a shop's buy-back percentage is done on a shop-by-shop basis, not an item-by-item one.

GrimmSpector
February 21st, 2016, 09:07
I found a typo...13101

dulux-oz
February 21st, 2016, 10:27
Where?

Commercial is spelt with 2 "m"s (Australian English - the ONLY proper way to spell), so what else is it?

Mask_of_winter
February 21st, 2016, 10:48
Purcahse limit.

dulux-oz
February 21st, 2016, 10:51
Purcahse limit.

Oh yeah - ok, fixed that :)

GrimmSpector
February 21st, 2016, 19:28
:) I'm Canadian, we spell things the same way Dulux!

dulux-oz
February 21st, 2016, 23:35
:) I'm Canadian, we spell things the same way Dulux!

I knew there was a reason I liked Canadians - that or the Maple Syrup :p

GrimmSpector
February 21st, 2016, 23:38
Mmmm, gotta be the syrup, nothing like it!

GrimmSpector
February 23rd, 2016, 05:38
Question...given the "items" issue, if I add items to the system ahead of time, and enable locations after, then build out the locations, will dragging the items from the items window into the locations cause the same issue, or will it be functional so long as I don't drag items into the items window?

I've discovered that I can still drag items from reference areas into character sheets without issue with it loaded. Unsure about trying it on the campaign live though.

dulux-oz
February 23rd, 2016, 05:40
The issue (and I heard from Moon earlier today - the fix'll be in the next FG updater (v3.1.7)) - the issue only occurs when you drag an Item into the Items system - so if you "pre-load" the Items system with Items from a Module (for eg) then load up the Extension you should be good :)

GrimmSpector
February 23rd, 2016, 05:43
The issue (and I heard from Moon earlier today - the fix'll be in the next FG updater (v3.1.7)) - the issue only occurs when you drag an Item into the Items system - so if you "pre-load" the Items system with Items from a Module (for eg) then load up the Extension you should be good :)

Super, any idea when 3.1.7 will go out? :P

More importantly, if I disable the extension temporarily, i.e. when adding new items at a later date, will I lose the Locations data? Or will it simply stay in the database, unable to be accessed until I enable the extension again?

dulux-oz
February 23rd, 2016, 06:52
It stays in the DB

GrimmSpector
February 23rd, 2016, 15:04
Cool, then I should be able to work around it short term, thanks!

dulux-oz
February 24th, 2016, 01:52
An Update: I've just tested Moon's fix in FGv3.1.7 to the issue in Post #442 and it's all good (or at least it seems to be). FYI v3.1.7 is currently in the Test Channel and should be release soon.

Cheers

GrimmSpector
February 24th, 2016, 02:34
Exciting, I probably won't be running another session for a week or two, so maybe it'll be available by then! Thanks so much for the update!

spite
February 25th, 2016, 02:43
Just started learning how to use this for shopping in my campaigns.
When loading items into the inventory, they all seem to default to 5 GP price, and I need to manually adjust. Is this intentional? If so, why?
Also, when players want to sell goods to the shop, are we going to need to manually adjust there too? (I havent gotten that far yet, so asking now)

dulux-oz
February 25th, 2016, 02:49
When loading items into the inventory, they all seem to default to 5 GP price

That's a new one - I haven't seen that before.

Which Ruleset are you using, and where are you dragging the Items from when you drop them onto a Building Inventory list?

And no, it shouldn't be happening.

bobbylain
February 25th, 2016, 04:40
it depends on what items you are putting in there. and what the markup is. the markup changes the value of the base item. What items are you putting in to the inventory? can we get a screenshot?

spite
February 25th, 2016, 05:53
That's a new one - I haven't seen that before.

Which Ruleset are you using, and where are you dragging the Items from when you drop them onto a Building Inventory list?

And no, it shouldn't be happening.

Dragging from the DMG magic items list, in the 5e ruleset. I'll attach a screenshot below.
https://puu.sh/nkC3H/0e71f7264a.jpg
I think its to do with the comma in the currency that's doing it. Turns out all the 5gps were at around 5k gold, and that 2.5gp is 2,300

*shrug*
Oh also, markup is set at 20%

dulux-oz
February 25th, 2016, 06:01
Yeah, its to do with the commas (I'm pretty sure) - I'll have to rework the code to get it to work (I don't have access to the 5E DMG so its v. hard to test against it) :)

bobbylain
February 25th, 2016, 06:36
it does it with 3.5 stuff also. and yeah its commas. I had the same issue but I just edited all my prices because of the PP GP SP CP string issue. so I wasnt thinking about it earlier.

dulux-oz
February 25th, 2016, 06:43
Yeah, its because costs are recorded as strings, not as numbers/numerics - I've got to strip out the "sh!t" and convert everything over, which basically means using regex, but regex was never my strong suite and lua-regex is just different enough from "standard" regex that it really gives me a headache :(

spite
February 25th, 2016, 08:19
Another thing I've noticed is giving out parcel coins with the 5e ruleset changes their counter to upper case GP which doesn't register as currency with which they can shop.

dulux-oz
February 25th, 2016, 08:47
Another thing I've noticed is giving out parcel coins with the 5e ruleset changes their counter to upper case GP which doesn't register as currency with which they can shop.

Yeah, the "gp" ~= "GP" issue is a known one - still trying to figur out a practical solution

spite
February 25th, 2016, 09:39
Yeah, the "gp" ~= "GP" issue is a known one - still trying to figur out a practical solution

Cool, its not just me doing it wrong.
Otherwise bloody loving the extension dulux, can't believe it's taken me until now to try it out.
Thanks!

Weepdrag
February 25th, 2016, 17:51
Hi Dulux,
I just updated ALL of the DOE extensions and now all EXCEPT the base extension is red "X" on the campaign load screen. Did I skip an instruction or in some other way oops?

Thanks in advance

Sorry, problem found, for whatever reason the DOEBase Ent didn't copy correctly. All is right with the world.

GrimmSpector
February 25th, 2016, 23:27
only reasonable method I can think of is to use regex to look for capitalized strings and switch them in the holding variable to something else, would potentially be expensive depending on how and when you're parsing that data, but since item instances are copies of item data from somewhere, and your shops make copies that don't affect the original, changing 120 GP to 120 gp should be feasible.

On another topic, this is well ahead of where I am now, but I am currently working on a BattleTech ruleset, hoping to be able to pack A Time of War rules and Total Warfare rules into a single package; hoping to make it compatible with your locations extension in the long run, as locations is a big part of things, possibly the organizations one as well, for merc groups and such, as players often end up part of or running merc groups in such campaigns.

If you'd be willing to chat about this, I'd appreciate the time, thanks!

dulux-oz
February 26th, 2016, 00:06
Yeah, I was thinking about the Regex option a s well - but don't forget, it's got to handle all curriency types from all rulesets - a big job. One I'm working on, but it slow going (especially as I need to make a living as well - and yes, that's a not so subtle hint for people who use my Extensions to become sponsors and/or make a donation so I can continue to work on this stuff).

As far as making a new ruleset compatible as long as the new ruleset is based on the CoreRPG (and all new rulesets should be) then making any of my Extensions work with the new ruleset should be relatively easy. Because the Extensions are loaded "on top of" the ruleset, its the Extension's job to make sure it works properly. Of course, if the Ruleset does things in a radically different way to the CoreRPG then getting the Extension to work may not be worth the effort required.

GrimmSpector
February 26th, 2016, 00:33
Oh I hadn't forgotten, I've been reviewing currency options from BattleTech ;)

I am definitely basing it on CoreRPG, the main issue as I'm working on it, is not being aware of what changes (and my changes so far are quite large), will break compatibility, what things I should not be replacing, etc.

The character sheets are nothing remotely related to most setups for characters, which I don't imagine would affect your extensions, but I am unsure on how far that goes. Another for instance there I guess is in the inventory window, the items setup will need to be substantially different.

I was considering coding it up to not allow direct entry of items, and only accept dragged item links, so that all the data is accessible in a format that's guaranteed to fit the combat system I build. So people can equip items, it will calculate encumbrance, change their ability to move, and so forth, the type of automation that's missing from most rulesets. There are also a much larger variety of currencies to care about and convert between, much larger than the list size in the default inventory screens in most rulesets.

dulux-oz
February 26th, 2016, 01:21
OK, so all of my Extensions are self contained, except where explicitly stated below. This means that you can change things to your heart's content in FG's various systems and they won't effect the Extensions, except where there is explicit tie-ins. With the tie-ins, normally all they are is a windowreference link (ie a name string and a DB-node string) so again, provided the new ruleset follows the naming-convention of the CoreRPG you should be OK.

For example, all the NPC lists in the Extensions are simply windowreference links, as are the links to Organisations in the Locations Extension, Places in the Weather and Organisations Extensions, etc.

The one issue is around building inventories - these aren't links but are actual copies (this is what allows the price to be "marked up" when an Item is dragged to a shop to "stock" it).

In that case the things to remember is that the price is a string, and the weight is a numeric. The windowclass that is opened when clicking on an item (in a building's inventory) is the ruleset's item-system window, so as long as there is consistency AND the (new) item-system has a price string and a weight numeric it should be OK.

As an example of where things got complicated: in the Savage Rulese Ruleset they use 4 different item-trypes (weapon, armour, etc) and, more importantly, 4 different item-record-types (4 different item windowclasses). All other rulesets use just one item-record type and only one item windowclass (even though it may appear to be more because of tabs or special entryfields, etc). So it getting the shopping function to work correctly with the Savage Worlds Ruleset I had to write 4 different sub-functions - a real PITA.

So please, don't do that in the BT Ruleset!

As far as different currencies is concerned, the DOEs will handle as many different currencies as you can imaging (as consequence of being multi-ruleset-compatable). What they won't do (yet) is convert from one denomination to another - its still up to the players to do these conversions manually BEFORE buying or AFTER selling items. I am working on a co-Extension to do the currency-conversions automatically, but its taking a while - it should be able to handle any currency or set of currencies that you throw at it (at the moment I've got it converting between Pounds-Shillings-Pence and US$-USc, but more work still needs to be done).

GrimmSpector
February 26th, 2016, 03:20
LOL well the core rulesets seem to all use 1 item window that just hides fields it doesn't need and displays ones it does, should be easy enough to layout with one window class. I'm thinking about coding it up to do the conversions itself where appropriate, but honestly in most cases you're not going to be going to a shopkeeper in the DC and trying to pay them with Kroner lol.

Other than that, I've got a lot of ideas on ways to extend this, considering if I can set it up so some extensions are required even.

I'm looking at possibly asking to use the map layer extension, so I can make one of the layers the coordinates (auto generated), as well as manually entered elevations. Would be nice if I could use software to rip them out of an image and put them into a lua table by the coord, but I don't think that will be feasible.
Also have to find a way to represent facing in the movement point calculations, and represent the firing arcs when you hover over someone, or arcs + ranges when you hover over a weapon, instead of reach like in 3.5/PF.

Given how BAR and things like that on items will work, it's going to be very interesting to setup the items to begin with.

Lots to do!

dulux-oz
February 26th, 2016, 04:13
Check out the posts in the Pointers Toolkit Thread (also on the Wiki) - we talk about LOS, etc, in their quite extensible (although the short answer in "No, can't be done" at the moment)

GrimmSpector
February 26th, 2016, 06:38
So you're saying Line of Sight is impossible, why is that?

I wasn't thinking about line of sight, I'd leave that up to the DM to decide, although I suppose I could use the rules from BT regarding elevation between the target and see, but if we're tracing out a ray across the map, why can't we check what grid spaces are under it, and then their contents?

That aside, none of what I was talking about was intended to work with LOS. Is there another issue I'm going to encounter with what I've been speaking about?

dulux-oz
February 26th, 2016, 09:46
Its all explained in the posts of that thread :)

GrimmSpector
February 26th, 2016, 15:18
From what I'm seeing, it should be relatively easy using the fpLOSTrue functionality and automatically drawn pointers, scripted from variables already coded in ahead of time.

I see someone mentions a map layer idea, which is similar to what I'm doing, where they can exlcude items from line of site, given that I can use a line for targetting which is a spline, I should be able to decide true line of site on such a layer.

In addition since I can retrieve each coordinate in between, I should be able to look at another layer with that same coordinate and gather any attached data (such as data stored by string controls into database nodes linked to those coordinates for elevation, or obstruction).

FG may not be setup to support it in a ruleset by default, but your own posts seem to indicate that I can do this. And your custom cone pointers should allow me to setup the firing arcs that I would need as well. Though I may want to change the visual display of them somewhat, I'll worrying about tailoring that after I get something functional.

This sounds like it might actually be really coming together, the hardest part will be entering the map data. I'll have to examine how the hex grid elements are made, if they're collections of lines, I should be able to locate each "side" of the hex, and set up a layer where the GM can simply click on the edges of hexes to turn them into obstructions from that direction/to that direction, or make them not obstructing, and then check those as part of the line of sight check while targetting.

dulux-oz
February 27th, 2016, 01:38
Yeah, but check paragraph 3 of post #19 of that thread - we don't have all the info we need to do the LOS, which is why FG doesn't do LOS yet

GrimmSpector
February 27th, 2016, 02:32
Not quite, no.

The Pointer_Toolkit will allow us to draw a Cone Pointer based on its Starting Point and Ending Point, provided we supply the relevant function with a "hard wired" Angle-Of-Arc, which will then be drawn by FG2 for us.

The fpLOSTrue() function will allow us to determine if a Target Point lies within the area defined by a Cone with a Starting Point, Ending Point and an Angle-Of-Arc.

The Starting Points, Ending Points and Angle-Of-Arcs supplied to both Function and Toolkit COULD be the same, but there is no intruinsic relationship between the Toolkit and the fpLOSTrue() function.

The hard part is that the Starting Point, Ending Point, and Target Point need to be exposed to us by the FG2 Code (ie the FG2 Coders) so that we can use them in both the Function and/or the Toolkit - as far as the Toolkit is concerned, the Starting Point and Ending Point are exposed via the inbuilt onBuildCustomPointer() function. However, we would need to have these two Points and the Target Point exposed to us in some other function for us to be able to use them in the fpLOSTrue() function, and the to best of my knowledge that expossure function does not exist.

Until it does we cannot do automatic targeting (at least not via this menthod).

Also note that while fpLOSTrue() can be used to target along a Line, within a Cone shape of any Angle-Of-Arc (even greater than 180-Degrees) or even within a Circle, it does not and cannot work with a Square shape (the geometry formuals and logic would be different) and that the Toolkit can only draw Cones less than 180-Degrees - let me say it again - there is NO intruinsic relationship between the Toolkit and the fpLOSTrue() function.

As far as walls and other obstructions would be concerned - if the obstruction "breaks" the TargetLine then the Target would fall out of LOS. You could combine fpLOSTrue() (which returns a Boolean) with another Boolean Function that determins if the TargetLine is broken to get our result of LOS or not. If we use this idea than we would need to use more than just the CentrePoints of Tokens as, by its definition, a point has no length or width (it's a Zero-D object). You would have to have some sort of 2-D (or at least a 1-D object, like a line) breaking the TargetLine ie you would need to determin the Token's "Corners" or "Radius" (for a Square or Circular Token, respectively).

Also, you may want to consider characters/monsters (ie Tokens) as a special case, because if a party menber is standing between the Attacker and the Target but is closer to the Attacker than the Target than LOS may not exist, but if closer to the Target then LOS may occure (with a cover bonus of some sort, obviously). Also needed to be taken into accout are the relative heights of the creatures represented by the Tokens - a Halfling is not going to stop LOS on or for a Giant, for example, no matter where they stand relative to each other.

Just my $0.02 worth <WEG>

I assume this is the post you meant?

So What you're saying is when a move or pointer is started, while the game renders start and end points and tells us if a coordinate is in them, it doesn't tell us the actual coordinates of the start and end points, correct?

If we already know the coordinates of the target and the origin token, couldn't we just test coordinates on the spline for being in the path, it's a long way of doing the same thing, ut it sounds possible, or am I missing something?

dulux-oz
February 27th, 2016, 03:22
If we already know the coordinates of the target..

No, we don't!

Its all about getting access to the coordinates - the the Starting coordinates of the targeting/LOS cone, the Ending coordinates of the targeting/LOS Cone, and the coordinates of the target. The onBuildCustomPointer function exposes the first two sets to us, but there is nothing currently in FG that exposes the Target's co-ordinates, so until there is we can't do LOS (via this method). Yes, FG has these coordinates internally, but there's no-way to "get at them" so we (the Community Devs) can use them. Similarly, there's no exposure of the Grids' coordinates in a way we can use either -in short, "no can do" at this time, not until we can "get at" the target's coordinates.

And I think we should move this discussion back over to the other thread if we're going to continue on with it :)

GrimmSpector
February 27th, 2016, 04:30
So we can't ask a token where it's located in anyway...must be some work around.

What about setting up a function that draws 0 length or very short length splines from every token, to get it's coordinates, then stores them, and also does this whenever a token moves?

Also, which thread did you want to move to?

dulux-oz
February 27th, 2016, 05:24
So we can't ask a token where it's located in anyway...must be some work around.

Also, which thread did you want to move to?

Not one that we've found yet.

And I ment the Toolkit Thread.

GrimmSpector
March 6th, 2016, 08:13
Been loading in some locations, created a solar system and a pair of worlds, first world worked fine, loads up and gets it's location "order" #, in the solar systems list, the second one, gets a 0, can't seem to change it, and when I click it's link I get this error in console:

Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (World : MJB_Locations.World.id-00003)
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (World : MJB_Locations.World.id-00003)

damned
March 6th, 2016, 08:18
Hi GrimmSpector are you using your own ruleset or another one?
What other extensions have you got loaded?
Are you running the latest versions of the DOE extensions?

GrimmSpector
March 6th, 2016, 19:58
Latest versions, I have a few other extensions but none of them touch items or your locations stuff; they're all geared around changing the desktop/decal, auto calculating XP, allowing more colours of dice, things like that. I can get you a full list if you like. It's the PFRPG ruleset, I've not modified it at all.

bobbylain
March 6th, 2016, 21:02
The alternate color gizmo causes problems. if you are using that it was superseded by the DOEBase.ext

GrimmSpector
March 7th, 2016, 00:12
The alternate color gizmo causes problems. if you are using that it was superseded by the DOEBase.ext

Turned that off, no change, same error.

GrimmSpector
March 7th, 2016, 01:05
So I deleted the offending worlds from the list in the System window, and then added them back, and it no longer has the issue with those worlds. Workaround. LOL

zeracool2k
March 16th, 2016, 18:27
Dulux-oz, I noticed that when you use mouse scroll to pan up and down the Locations' sheets, the data "hides" like when you scroll over a combobox (even when the sheet is locked, the data still dissapears or reappears, depending on the direction of the scroll).

You can see the effect HERE (https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8j17kkxk6lx04h/WeirdStuffReduced.mp4?dl=0).

Weepdrag
March 22nd, 2016, 05:24
Has anyone found a work-around for making change? If a PC tries to purchase an item costing 5 cp and they only have gp in their inventory, the shop gives "no appropriate coin" message. Coins in my games have mass, so no one wants to load up on cp to go shopping, and they usually want to consolidate their coins into the highest denomination.

Maybe a definition field would be nice to define the unit equivalents, ie. 1pp=10gp=100sp=1000cp etc.

Thanks for any input

damned
March 22nd, 2016, 11:11
I thought there was a post on that to the effect that it is currency agnostic - you could use dollars, yen, crowns, sovereigns, coins, pieces etc so it doesnt know how/what the value of your denominations are...

GrimmSpector
March 22nd, 2016, 20:21
Has anyone found a work-around for making change? If a PC tries to purchase an item costing 5 cp and they only have gp in their inventory, the shop gives "no appropriate coin" message. Coins in my games have mass, so no one wants to load up on cp to go shopping, and they usually want to consolidate their coins into the highest denomination.

Maybe a definition field would be nice to define the unit equivalents, ie. 1pp=10gp=100sp=1000cp etc.

Thanks for any input

Currently it's up to you and your players to make change, money may weigh things, but when you're shopping it doesn't need to be updated instantaneously, you can remove 1 gp, and make 10 cp and 9 sp on the sheet, and it'll work fine, convert it to whatever you want when you're done before you leave the shop, problem solved.

Otherwise it's a lot of math and a lot of controls for dulux to code, and I'm not sure the returns are worth that amount of work. Guess we'll see if he does one day.