PDA

View Full Version : Playing on Corporate Assets

Fizban
April 1st, 2014, 14:03
Hi Forum,

A few of the guys in the place I work want to get together for a game in the evenings but a couple of them don't have home computers. They want to use their work laptops, which are owned by the company and considered corporate assets for use with work. Now they can get permission to install and use FG on their laptops by their respective managers and by the corporate service desk but only if certain information can be provided.

Question 1. Are the client licences sufficient for use on corporate computers? Or will the licence need to be upgraded to a bulk/corporate licence? Having dealt with software compliance myself I know plenty of companies draw a distinction between personal and corporate assets when it comes to licencing.

Question 2. Given that there may be sensitive information on the corporate laptops used, does the client version of FG allow connectivity to files outside of FG when connected to a full or ultimate licence? I know that pictures, characters, and other game related material is shared between the host and the client. I just want to know if it goes beyond that.

Thanks in advance!

JohnD
April 1st, 2014, 14:08
Well, as to 1 I'd think that this is FG side. As far as I'm aware, there is no "corporate" license - you do still just have the one user on that laptop.

As to 2, I'd think not as that would be a massive security hole and FG would be rife with all sorts of dicks trying to do things to other people.

Really, your big hurdle is to get the employer to allow the install and caring for any concerns over security of the assets and files.

Blacky
April 1st, 2014, 14:36
No corporate license, you can install it wherever you want.

As far as I know there's no hard jailing of files and rights, but FG doesn't have the capacity of sharing file per se, it's embeded rpg data only. Well there's the exception of images, on some cases. The GM share the images he wants (he has to manually import them into FG, and then manually share them to players), and the players share their portrait image. That's all.

If your corporate users are players, just don't have them put secret images in the FG portrait directory and then use them as a portrait (which will probably make FG crashes anyway, since I'm guessing corporate secret images are much bigger than a regular portrait). If they are GM, they need to manually import their images into their campaign and share them, so they need to be sure about what they share.

To answer from another point of view: it's much harder for FG to share a wrong image than it is with any email client (including web email) to take a common example, and it's impossible for any other type of data.

And even if there were to be a mistake (that means, mistake on step 1, step 2, step 3, all in a row) the GM just needs to do a right click-delete on this image. It will be deleted from the client, which has outside FG only a somewhat encrypted version of it.

Fizban
April 1st, 2014, 14:56
Thanks for the info Blacky. We'll be playing in no time ^_^

damned
April 2nd, 2014, 11:53
Whilst the license is for one person and one install the devs have stated in the past that they dont mind you installing on say your laptop and your desktop. It is still a user license - eg you should not transfer license to another user. Thus providing that the license belongs to the player there should not be any licensing risk for the company.

Valarian
April 2nd, 2014, 12:36
As someone who works in IT, corporate assets should be used for work purposes only. There shouldn't be anything installed that isn't required for the job.

Nickademus
April 2nd, 2014, 17:23
As someone who works in IT, corporate assets should be used for work purposes only. There shouldn't be anything installed that isn't required for the job.

JohnD
April 2nd, 2014, 18:24
Lol

Ardem
April 3rd, 2014, 06:34
As the owner of a IT Managed Services Company, I would love for my staff to install FG on their (my) computers and play with me after hours. Unfortunately their nerdom does not extend to RPG's.

I have no issues what they install on their computers, if they break it they fix it, is my policy <smile>

Different horses for different courses.