PDA

View Full Version : Ferocious Strike

hangarflying
March 31st, 2014, 23:47
Ok forum gurus, I need a little help making an effect.

I have an NPC that can use the Ferocious Strike ability up to Six times. This NPC uses the ability for the first six attacks that it makes. If the attack hits, the ability adds +2 do damage; if the attack misses, the attempt is wasted.

The NPC plans on using this effect for its first six attacks that it makes. Is it possible to set up an effect that is able to count down the six uses, but only apply the damage on a successful hit? My thought is if I can just add the effect at the beginning of the encounter, then I don't have to worry about keeping track of it beyond that point.

Trenloe
April 1st, 2014, 02:55
You need to "fool" the effects system into this.

Use the following effect:

Ferocious Strike;DMG:2;DMG:0;DMG:0;DMG:0;DMG:0;DMG:0

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Effect%20-%206%20times%20damage.jpg

And set it for "SNGL" (apply each once). FG will take all of the above DMG effect tags into account - the first +2 and the following five 0's and add them all together, giving a result of +2. Then, each time you roll damage, +2 will be applied and the right most effect will be removed - five 0's and then the final +2, giving an overall +2 DMG effect for the next 6 damage rolls.

Nickademus
April 1st, 2014, 03:24
Good to know.

Callum
April 1st, 2014, 09:41
That's very, very clever Trenloe - I'm sure I can put that technique to good use somewhere. Unfortunately, your example doesn't quite do what hangarflying wants, since it will count down six damage rolls, and he wants six attack rolls counted off.

Mgrancey
April 1st, 2014, 12:51
Nice to know about that trick, usually with something like this I just create it as a spell as sorcerer type

Trenloe
April 1st, 2014, 13:42
Unfortunately, your example doesn't quite do what hangarflying wants, since it will count down six damage rolls, and he wants six attack rolls counted off.
Oh right, on re-reading the OP I see that. Back to the drawing board... ;-)