PDA

View Full Version : RealmWorks Available

Bidmaron
March 28th, 2014, 01:21
Lone Wolf Development finally released its long-awaited Realm Works. It is world-building software and seems reasonably priced. I think it will augment Fantasy Grounds quite nicely. Their site is here (https://www.wolflair.com/realmworks/get-realm-works/buy-realm-works/).

Zeus
March 28th, 2014, 08:54
Hmmm. I was very excited about this software when it was first announced but now thats its finally released I have to admit to being a little dissapointed. The price tag of $49 would have been acceptable if not for the fact it only includes 6 months of their cloud service after which its another $25 for another 6 months. In addition, its only supported on Windows 7/8. No support for tablets or other platforms including Apple Mac and Linux planned :(

JohnD
March 28th, 2014, 12:44
If you are running a FG game, what use would this program have?

Grey Mage
March 29th, 2014, 00:04
A couple of things... Any browser will be able to access this program (not live yet but in the pipeline). The developers (LWD, the HeroLab folk) have a very solid track record (at least in my opinion). As to why you would use with FG... It is a total campaign manager. No more wikis on a stick, no more Obsidian Portal, it basically rolls all your notebooks, folders, databases and such into one convenient location. You don't have to go with the cloud access; but if you do, your entire campaign database is now available anywhere (you have internet access)... Someone forgets their character, you can pull it up. Someone needs access to a reference, you can give it to them via the player view mode. Fog of world with maps allows the party to track their movement across the larger campaign world even when FG is not in use (between sessions, etc). Journal gives both the GM and the players the ability to record (from their varying perspectives) activities both from during the sessions or between sessions (downtime).

Some of the map display functions can be handy for things like the Kingmaker AP.

Best of all, this is only the tip of the iceberg. MUCH more is planned (or already in the pipeline) and again, LWD has a history of delivering.

Bidmaron
March 29th, 2014, 18:21
I am using RW on my Mac under Parallels just fine.

Here's what I'd like to do with it:
1) Get JPG to build in full formatted text support so you can tell what is selected. This enables FG extension code to respond to a click on a hyperlink.
2) Use my background program to intercept a command from FG to take that link and tell RW to display the relevant information. My vision is not to replace FG modules, which I think would be done just like we do them now. What I'd do with RW is use it like a wikipedia so players could consult the GM-revealed information at any time without having to keep all of it in FG modules.

adammar
April 5th, 2014, 23:55
I'm going to wait a little bit longer to see how it matures. I think they missed the boat on this and it will not turn out the way they are expecting. The program costs what about $75 for the first year and $50 per year after that? I know they have a lot planned but how late are they with the program and the features it was supposed to have at launch? I still haven't figured out how much functionality I get over something like Obsidian Portal at this time.

Bidmaron
April 6th, 2014, 01:44
I bought it. Pretty impressive. Right now it's only $50 with 6 months of cloud. It's missing the player version at the moment, so you have to show a player view. It works, but it won't replace Fantasy Grounds. I see it as a great organization tool and a wonderful adjunct to FG.

Leonal
April 9th, 2014, 16:00
I got it with early access during Kickstarter. However I haven't fully played with it yet as I'm not running any games these days. Hoping to put it to good use for future campaigns though and especially for between session use, but I'm waiting for the player access/client to be released.

Trenloe
April 9th, 2014, 16:06
I got it with early access during Kickstarter. However I haven't fully played with it yet as I'm not running any games these days. Hoping to put it to good use for future campaigns though and especially for between session use, but I'm waiting for the player access/client to be released.
I started using it before the Kickstarter as part of the original beta testing. It is potentially a very powerful application for keeping track of campaign information - but it does require work to make it very useful (kinda like entering a campaign in Fantasy Grounds). I stopped using it in the beta as I too want to wait until the player side client is available to fully make use of it between gaming sessions.