PDA

View Full Version : Connection problem (possibly firewall?)

levinth
March 27th, 2014, 16:21
I've had a problem hosting a game online. I hosted a game with the same player (only the one player) last week, just fine and I haven't touched any settings on my router/ firewall between these two games. Now, they can't connect and when I hit the "run test" button on the launcher it comes up as a failure.

I'm not very knowledgeable about how this sort of thing works, but I've experimented with resetting the router (which didn't help) and turning the firewall off (which resulted in the "run test" coming up as a success). I can connect to my own game using a second instance of FG and "localhost".

I run windows 7 and the windows firewall is off (double checked). My internet is from plusnet and they offer a free mcafee security package which includes a firewall (the one I mentioned in the previous paragraph) and from the looks of things, FG is set to be let through. I've tried resetting to default settings and manually letting FG through, all to no avail.

I've been tried this for over an hour now and I'm no closer to a solution... like I said I'm not very good at this sort of thing, so any advice on narrowing down the problem/ working out what's wrong would really help!

Blacky
March 27th, 2014, 16:33
The usual suspect is that you may have changed IP (I'm talking about your internal IP, usually it's 192.x.y.z) and your router doesn't route the right port (FG's one) to the right place. This may happen with old or low end or ill-configured routers when you turn off & on your computer. To check it, launch a command prompt and input ipconfig it will give you your internal IPv4 address, then check your router for the route about TCP1802 (FG's port). It should lead to your current internal IP.

Another suspect, is that when you turned off your firewall, FG connection test worked. i.e. it's said firewall that was blocking it.

On another subject, you might want to ditch Mcafee, its a very bad product.

levinth
March 27th, 2014, 16:47
Does the question of internal IP also apply using UPnP? That's how I currently have FG set up to run (and with no problem until today).

As for Mcafee firewall, I'm getting the feeling I agree... I'm just not sure why it would suddenly change? What should I be looking for under my firewall settings, if it is that that's causing the problem?

Also, thank you!

Blacky
March 27th, 2014, 17:35
If your UPnP works, no need to get elbow deep into your router. Then it's probably a firewall issue. You need to check that TCP1802 isn't block in either way (out&in), and that FantasyGrounds.exe (and its updater) aren't also blocked. The details change from firewall to firewall, but this is the gist of it.

Targas
March 27th, 2014, 17:40
In the load campaign start menue try to obtain your new external ip. If players connect to your 4 code words, this might not link to your current ip anymore. It helped in my case..

levinth
March 28th, 2014, 09:32
No idea what happened but ditching the mcafee and replacing it with something else did the job. Thanks for all the help :) Much appreciated.

Blacky
March 28th, 2014, 12:00
Your Mcafee firewall that was blocking it from the look of things. Either misconfigured, or a bug, or some feature somewhere in there.