PDA

View Full Version : Exporting Characters & The FG App Directory

dulux-oz
March 27th, 2014, 16:10
Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is a real Bug, but it definitely is an "Undocumented Feature":

If we use the Save As Dialog Box that is presented to us when we Export a Character to navigate away from the FG App Directory (ie c:\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II\) when we next try to run FG we get:

No Patch Notes, and
The FG Update and Settings Buttons on the Launcher can't find FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe

While it is certainly possible to navigate to the FG App Directory to retrieve Exported Characters (and place the XML files of those we want to Import), I would put it to the Devs that having things the way they are now is "sub-optimal" and that they may want to do something about it.

Just my $0.02 worth

Moon Wizard
March 31st, 2014, 20:15
I'm looking at this now, but I can't seem to recreate the issue. Can you walk me through an example of which directories used for app/data and where you saved?

Thanks,
JPG

Zeus
March 31st, 2014, 21:11
I can recreate it JPG using the latest FG on OSX 10.9.2 running under Wine

Start FG, and load an existing or start a new campaign.
When desktop appears, enter /exportchar in the chat window
When the file dialog appears, navigate away from the default FG program folder and then click cancel
Right click and then return to Launcher
When the Launcher window re-appears, its devoid of any patch notes. I'm guessing client expects to find patchnotes.xml/patchnotes.html in the current working directory which maybe getting changed by the saveAs dialog.

dulux-oz
April 1st, 2014, 16:50
I can recreate it JPG using the latest FG on OSX 10.9.2 running under Wine

Start FG, and load an existing or start a new campaign.
When desktop appears, enter /exportchar in the chat window
When the file dialog appears, navigate away from the default FG program folder and then click cancel
Right click and then return to Launcher
When the Launcher window re-appears, its devoid of any patch notes. I'm guessing client expects to find patchnotes.xml/patchnotes.html in the current working directory which maybe getting changed by the saveAs dialog.

In a similar vein on Win8.1 and Win7x32 (CoreRPG):

Start FG, and enter Manage Chanarters.
When desktop appears, choose Characters.
Select the Edit List Button.
Select the Export Character Button from the Character ListItem.
When the file dialog appears, navigate away from the default FG program folder and save the exported Character.
Return to Launcher.
When the Launcher window re-appears, its devoid of any patch notes, and if you click on the Check For Updates Button you receive an Error Box with "Windows cannot find 'FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again.".

Cheers

Moon Wizard
April 1st, 2014, 19:14
Thanks for the steps. I see the issue now.

JPG