PDA

View Full Version : Castle Keeper's Guide

JohnD
March 27th, 2014, 05:19
Just wanted to make people aware that the CK Guide is now converted to FG and available in the store. :)

hawkwind
March 27th, 2014, 13:18
how integrated is it with the rule set? Can you chose how criticals and fumbles work and have them automated or use the alternative numbers for Siege checks, can you drag advantages on to the character sheet for example or is it just a library module with a few rollable charts?

JohnD
March 27th, 2014, 14:07
Hmmm... Scott will have to answer that one. I'm waiting until the right moment to make my purchase.

dr_venture
March 27th, 2014, 17:49
how integrated is it with the rule set? Can you chose how criticals and fumbles work and have them automated or use the alternative numbers for Siege checks, can you drag advantages on to the character sheet for example or is it just a library module with a few rollable charts?

That's my question entirely. I'd almost pay the entire price if it added the option to use the alternate attribute bonus tables. If it's mostly just text and rollable tables, it's not something I'm interested in as I have already purchased the PDF version. That said, I do like having the C&C ruleset data in FG format, as it's often quicker to use than a PDF to my mind. YMMV.

So Scott or Smiteworks, we'd love some more details about the contents of the module and how it integrates with the ruleset, please :)

S Ferguson
March 31st, 2014, 02:53
Let's see. All the material in the CKG is included in the module. That much is a given. Doug added the 93 rollable tables, for critical hits, fumbles, biomes, anything that was rollable in the original text (which still contains the tables in context, in tabular form). In terms of integration, I'm not quite sure what you mean. The alternate attribute bonuses are there, as are the alternate rolling of attributes but those tend to be "textual" things, rolling the dice for your character stats. Adjusting them in different fashions are given in text, but any implementation, would have required an extension.

So, nothing is truly "integrated" into C&C Core, as extension building without a clue as to how many people would use it (kind of like the artwork if it's included - I enjoy looking at it once; then it goes away) seemed a moot point; I mean how many people actually use the "beauty" rules, aside from me? I'm sure there's a few more, but I'll bet it's a handful, especially in VTT settings. Additionally, it was decided that the PHB, since most of it is hard-coded, would be the system it would primarily work for and with (as now we finally have the rules for tertiary attributes). In that sense it's a text an table addition but with a definite advantage for the CK to maintain full flexibility with their game world and happenstance. All items (barring retainers) can be drag-n-dropped to the character sheet for those who want to, say, own a sloop (a very large Capacity item) and tow around a hulk (an even larger one) full of their Baghdad Batteries (for illegally gold plating copper coins).

The optional criticals and fumbles, as well as hit charts for the various creatures are included in the tables section. Options 5 and 6 are supported. Using the alternate numbers for SIEGE checks was a little beyond the scope of this (see extensions above), but I tried to appease what I think most of the people would find the most helpful. The scope of the text is overwhelming (all 291 pages of it) so only the splitting of sections differs from the original publication, which helps in the digestion issue, especially in Chapter 1 on expanding characters. I don't know, the CKG seemed to get more organized the further you went into it.

Oh and all of the "Epic" skills can be drag-n-dropped to the character sheet as in the PHB.

I've probably left a lot of somethings out, but if there are any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Cheers,
SF

damned
April 1st, 2014, 00:00
nice one Scott!

S Ferguson
April 1st, 2014, 00:04
Why, thank you! :D

Cheers,
SF

Magnatude
June 9th, 2014, 16:48
Rather functional with all the tables added and drag and dropables... except ...
One thing I wish had drag-drop would be the Extended character abilities options.
(Chapter 18/Skill packages/Advantages)

S Ferguson
June 9th, 2014, 17:15
Those were definitely "Optional Rules." I had considered it, but the question begged "How many people would get functionality out of this one?" It was decided to stay optional, unlike the Class Abilities which you can look at and dream, "When I *ever* get to this level, this is what I'll be able to do." (I find CnC leveling to be relaxingly slow; though sometimes too slow).

Cheers,
SF

Magnatude
June 9th, 2014, 18:51
Well, at least its "in" FG so its an easy Ctrl-C/Ctrl-v to add them to the characters. I don't have to parse out the pdf :)

S Ferguson
June 9th, 2014, 19:04
You're lucky. I had to :).

Cheers,
SF

Magnatude
June 9th, 2014, 20:17
I can appreciate the work that went into this (trying to get My Battletech/MechWarrior RPG library completed).
It's a good handy resource, I'm glad I purchased it.

S Ferguson
June 9th, 2014, 22:05
Much appreciated. Thanks. It's all for the C&C community.

Cheers,
SF

Niles
January 12th, 2023, 23:35
Just wanted to make people aware that the CK Guide is now converted to FG and available in the store. :)

Hi John,
I looked for the Castle Keeper's Guide in the store and the forge and didn't see it. Is it still available?

JohnD
January 13th, 2023, 00:39
Hi John,
I looked for the Castle Keeper's Guide in the store and the forge and didn't see it. Is it still available?

I posted that back in 2014. :)

Since then TLG pulled their content from the main FG Store and now sell on the Forge. To date, they have not released a new version of the CKG to go along with the new ruleset. Someday, hopefully.

pralix1138
January 22nd, 2023, 18:41
I posted that back in 2014. :)

Since then TLG pulled their content from the main FG Store and now sell on the Forge. To date, they have not released a new version of the CKG to go along with the new ruleset. Someday, hopefully.

According to the TLG discord, the CKG is currently in development.