PDA

View Full Version : Special Defense Field

Nickademus
March 25th, 2014, 17:56
What is the 'Special' field in the defense section of an NPC in the combat tracker for?

I found the control (specialdef) in the xml and the code where it is made visible and invisible when the defense icon is clicked in the CT. I see no value that is ever parsed into it from the NPC. Beyond being a field the GM can manually type things into in the CT, does it have a special purpose?

On a side note, does the content in the SA (special attacks) section of the NPC not get added to the CT anywhere? Even as just text, it would seem helpful to have this somewhere so the GM didn't have to open the NPC sheet to find the existence of special attacks. I would even tolerate it in the defense section (in, surprise!, the Special field).

Moon Wizard
March 25th, 2014, 18:31
After looking into it, I think that the specialdef field is a hold over from the old d20 ruleset days.

Currently, in 3.5E/PFRPG, the special abilities are broken up into specialqualities and specialattacks in the NPC record. The specialqualities field is parsed when the NPC is added to the combat tracker to find DR, SR, fast healing, regeneration, resistance, vulnerability and immunity features.

I'm going to change to "specialqualities" in the CT record for the next beta cycle. (v3.0.4)

Cheers,
JPG