PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for a group - Pathfinder prefered

Kotawolf
March 25th, 2014, 15:13
The long and the short.

I'm looking for a group, preferably Pathfinder, that I can either sit and watch how Fantasy Grounds works or can show me.
The trial license is okay, but for me... it would be better to see it actually being used in a session.

I'm available most nights minus Fridays. 7pm Central - roughly 10pm

I want to see how the game works and such before buying it, cause if I buy it, it will likely be the Ultimate license, cause I'll try and convert my current group over.

I've been playing with a group on Friday nights using D20pro for the last 2-3 years, and I'm wanting to see if something else out there is better.

I have my own TeamSpeak server (32 user) that I run on a server where I work.

Andrepartthree
March 26th, 2014, 16:11
The long and the short.

I'm looking for a group, preferably Pathfinder, that I can either sit and watch how Fantasy Grounds works or can show me.
The trial license is okay, but for me... it would be better to see it actually being used in a session.

I'm available most nights minus Fridays. 7pm Central - roughly 10pm

I want to see how the game works and such before buying it, cause if I buy it, it will likely be the Ultimate license, cause I'll try and convert my current group over.

I've been playing with a group on Friday nights using D20pro for the last 2-3 years, and I'm wanting to see if something else out there is better.

I have my own TeamSpeak server (32 user) that I run on a server where I work.

If you don't mind reading a long, sleep-inducing post :P about stuff I wish someone had told me when I was new to FG ;)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19579-Advice-for-new-FG-players

of course the parts about finding a new group of players and getting along with other players won't apply since you have the advantage of an existing gaming group which is way cool :) - unless you feel comfortable "adding new players " via the FG forum in which case it might apply ... but other parts like voice chat vs text and so forth might (or might not :P ) be relevant to you ;) ..

The tutorial videos listed on the "downloads" part of the forum can help to a certain degree but you're definitely doing the right thing asking to sit in and observe to get a feel for FG or at least in my humble opinion ;) .. one thing to bear in mind is that the group you observe might offer a totally different experience than another gaming group.. if you sit in on a group that conducts everything via voice chat the game will move much faster but I've found (forgive the gross stereotyping here other readers of this thread, I'm sure this doesn't apply to ALL gaming groups that rely on voice chat) that it encourages a LOT of out of character jokes to the point where players sometimes forget about the game completely :P .. on the other hand maybe your gaming group gets together just as much for the ability to crack-wise as it does to game so it would work out well for you ;) ... conversely a gaming group where the GM prefers EVERYTHING be done in text, whether in or out of character, might progress at such a slow pace (more so for an observer than a player) that you might come away with the impression that FG induces far too much boredom-inspired-sleepyness to be viable as an option :P .... personally I've found I'm happiest in games that mix the two... as much out of character stuff as possible is handled via voice to speed the FG game session along while everything in-character is done in text .. but that's just me personally, there are other gaming groups obviously who are more than happy doing things a totally different way :)

Basically.. voice chat or lack of it makes a big impact on the game :) .... if you can find a group where a GM will let you play a one-time-guest-star-mook who is easily expandable, Grog the barbarian or what not :P ... I think actually being a player, even for just one game session, would be the best way to get a feel for it :) ... Any GM's out there running pathfinder (or even D&D 3.0/3.5 ... let's face it the systems are very similar albeit not identical ;) ) who can help him out? :) ... if I was GM'ing would totally do it but alas no time to GM nowadays much as I'd love to :( ...

Kotawolf
March 26th, 2014, 16:38
If you don't mind reading a long, sleep-inducing post :P about stuff I wish someone had told me when I was new to FG ;)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19579-Advice-for-new-FG-players

of course the parts about finding a new group of players and getting along with other players won't apply since you have the advantage of an existing gaming group which is way cool - unless you feel comfortable "adding new players " via the FG forum in which case it might apply ... but other parts like voice chat vs text and so forth might (or might not ) be relevant to you ;) ..

The tutorial videos listed on the "downloads" part of the forum can help to a certain degree but you're definitely doing the right thing asking to sit in and observe to get a feel for FG or at least in my humble opinion ;) .. one thing to bear in mind is that the group you observe might offer a totally different experience than another gaming group.. if you sit in on a group that conducts everything via voice chat the game will move much faster but I've found (forgive the gross stereotyping here other readers of this thread, I'm sure this doesn't apply to ALL gaming groups that rely on voice chat) that it encourages a LOT of out of character jokes to the point where players sometimes forget about the game completely :P .. on the other hand maybe your gaming group gets together just as much for the ability to crack-wise as it does to game so it would work out well for you ;) ... conversely a gaming group where the GM prefers EVERYTHING be done in text, whether in or out of character, might progress at such a slow pace (more so for an observer than a player) that you might come away with the impression that FG induces far too much boredom-inspired-sleepyness to be viable as an option :P .... personally I've found I'm happiest in games that mix the two... as much out of character stuff as possible is handled via voice to speed the FG game session along while everything in-character is done in text .. but that's just me personally, there are other gaming groups obviously who are more than happy doing things a totally different way :)

Basically.. voice chat or lack of it makes a big impact on the game :) .... if you can find a group where a GM will let you play a one-time-guest-star-mook who is easily expandable, Grog the barbarian or what not :P ... I think actually being a player, even for just one game session, would be the best way to get a feel for it ... Any GM's out there running pathfinder (or even D&D 3.0/3.5 ... let's face it the systems are very similar albeit not identical ) who can help him out? ... if I was GM'ing would totally do it but alas no time to GM nowadays much as I'd love to ...

Thanks for the response and yes... I actually read your post yesterday... my group will use both voice and Text.. things we want to be logged and remembered between sessions goes in text, normal banter and role play is voice. And pretty much what you said... maybe a one or two session character would be great. I think about off and on doing a once a month type game also. I've found that playing 2 games a week is too much but playing just once a week, just doesn't do it for me.

And this is one of those that if I like it, I will drop the money on not one, but two of the Ultimate licenses, cause the wife plays also.. when she can. That works out that i have the professional job making a good amount of money... she works (Wal-Mart right now) and everything she makes is our play with and savings money.

D20pro is okay, but some things like spells and special abilities, it seems lacking.

Darn smiley face limitations... had to kill a few of your smiley faces.

dulux-oz
March 26th, 2014, 17:00
The tutorial videos listed on the "downloads" part of the forum can help...

Actually, the Wiki Page (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php?title=Videos) holding all of the Videos is a better bet (unless they were the ones you were referring to, Andrepartthree). In a shameless "self-plug" I'm going to recommend my own Tutorial Videos (available from the Wiki or from the Links in my Sig below) - while they are not Pathfinder specific they do cover the basics of using FG and should give you a great boost in learning how the latest iteration of FG works.

Anyway, welcome to the "club" (or should that be "institute") - you'll find as a pretty friendly and helpful lot here. :)

Cheers

Kotawolf
March 29th, 2014, 04:24
Sorry, this request is now on hold. My dad just went into the hospital for Liver cancer. Stubborn old (68) man drinks too much. I'll look again later, I won't have much time to do anything for a while.

Andrepartthree
March 29th, 2014, 16:01
Sorry, this request is now on hold. My dad just went into the hospital for Liver cancer. Stubborn old (68) man drinks too much. I'll look again later, I won't have much time to do anything for a while.

damn sorry to hear that dude ! :(